PDA

View Full Version : Who drives for Rusport now?

devilmaster
08-04-06, 10:09 AM
No offense to shorty, hope he gets well soon....

But the question is, do we see another internal driver swap? Does MarioD now go to Rusport and Coyne bring in someone like a sperafico?

Or will Russo perhaps go out and try and find some good new shoe who can use this as a test for a seat next year?

Naturally, I expect the former while hoping for the latter.

Spicoli
08-04-06, 10:20 AM
Good question. There are a slew of dribers out there who are under/un employed. It's just a shame, cause CdM was looking good last race for sure.

He's obviously out for the season.

:memogidley:

:jacques: > :nastard:

devilmaster
08-04-06, 10:31 AM
Good question. There are a slew of dribers out there who are under/un employed. It's just a shame, cause CdM was looking good last race for sure.

Absolutely. And I think that we may have learned that AJ is fast in a good car, but perhaps has a hard time making a bad one better.

It looked like Shorty was giving the team the needed info to make the car faster.

Maybe hire the greatest of all American drivers, Cheeber? ;) :runs:

emjaya
08-04-06, 10:48 AM
Mark Webber is looking for a drive. :gomer: :laugh:

dando
08-04-06, 11:09 AM
Maybe hire the greatest of all American drivers, Cheeber? ;) :runs:
We don't want him. He's all yours.

How about RHR?

-Kevin

jonovision_man
08-04-06, 11:12 AM
Papis? Carpentier? Gidley?

jono

Ed_Severson
08-04-06, 11:19 AM
Carpentier is an interesting candidate ... he's rideless as of now, I suppose. Hunter-Reay was in San Jose, making his way around the paddock. Ronnie Bremer is another guy who has been pretty visible at the races this year.

Lots of good choices out there, really, although it'll be weird not seeing Cristiano around for a while.

JoeBob
08-04-06, 11:23 AM
Alex Barron has experience and is racing in the Atlantic series. If Roberto Moreno is going to be testing the DP-01, maybe he feels like racing again too.

Would Vasser drive for "the competition?" What about Michael Valiente?

Graham Rahal has looked good in the Atlantic Series, is he ready to pull some double duty?

TKGAngel
08-04-06, 11:41 AM
What about Tagliani to drive a joint Rusport / Team Australia entry? Tag needs a car, and Rusport has a car to fill. It probably would never happen, but stranger things have happened recently.

Papis could work, but I think he's driving Grand-Am for Cheever and playing new dad. How much of an overlap is there between CCWS and Grand-Am schedules?

SAdair
08-04-06, 11:42 AM
Alex Barron has experience and is racing in the Atlantic series. If Roberto Moreno is going to be testing the DP-01, maybe he feels like racing again too.

Would Vasser drive for "the competition?" What about Michael Valiente?

Graham Rahal has looked good in the Atlantic Series, is he ready to pull some double duty?

Since they like switching drivers around so much. How about Servia to RuSport and Vasser at PKV?

Hurling Frootmig
08-04-06, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Jourdain get a call to finish out the season. He's easy on equipment and has shown that he can win in a good car. He's pretty calm and I think he and Justin would get along well.

Audi_A4
08-04-06, 12:27 PM
MONTOYA

SAdair
08-04-06, 12:30 PM
What about Tagliani to drive a joint Rusport / Team Australia entry? Tag needs a car, and Rusport has a car to fill. It probably would never happen, but stranger things have happened recently.

Papis could work, but I think he's driving Grand-Am for Cheever and playing new dad. How much of an overlap is there between CCWS and Grand-Am schedules?

How many events require 17 or 18 cars? Running a joint effort doesn't keep the car count up.

As for Papis, Denver and Montreal would have conflicts with Grand-Am, but Road America, Austrialia, and Mexico City don't.

SAdair
08-04-06, 12:42 PM
MONTOYA

I love the idea :cool: :thumbup: , but I though Chippy was trying to get him to race at Watkins Glen. That is the same weekend as Denver.

I am not sure Chippy would release him to drive a ChampCar anyway. :(

rabbit
08-04-06, 12:43 PM
Those were the first two names I thought of.

pferrf1
08-04-06, 12:48 PM
Alex Barron makes the most sense. He's already in the paddock, has been road racing all season and has the experience.

I think Jourdain burned his bridge there when he left RuSport. The other retreads: Carp, Papis, etc. give you nothing. Labrosse may like to see Carp in a car for Montreal, however. That would help the series at that one race. As long as he doesn't spend all his time talking about NASCAR Busch.

spinner26
08-04-06, 01:41 PM
God, thinking of Memo and RA brings back horrid memories. I was listening to the scanner and watching the race and I never saw Memo crest the hill to the start / finish line and then all the sudden a yellow and Mike Hull says, 'Guys we're done."

Didn't know what a close call it was til after the race when we went to get the car down at the garage and the ONLY thing holding it together was the front skid plate. :eek:

To see Memo a couple days later was a blessing, much like it will be to see Shorty back in the cockpit.

Man, we take a lot for granted just to be fans so these guys and gals too, can entertain us. :shakehead

Godspeed Shorty and so long as the Playboy DP deal doesn't interfere, I'd love to see Memo there. Probably his best ride since being with Ganassi.

JoeBob
08-04-06, 03:55 PM
http://www.rusport.com/news/read/cristiano-da-matta-continues-to-recover-from-serious-head-injury

RuSPORT has also announced that it has withdrawn the No. 10 RuSPORT Champ Car from competition in the Grand Prix of Denver, which will take place on Sunday, Aug. 13. Da Matta’s teammate, Justin Wilson (#9 CDW / RuSPORT Ford-Cosworth / Lola / Bridgestone) will compete in the Grand Prix of Denver as scheduled.

Jayblues
08-04-06, 04:05 PM
http://www.rusport.com/news/read/cristiano-da-matta-continues-to-recover-from-serious-head-injury

ouch - with all respect to CDM, there is other drivers who could jump in with a week to go.

TU Homer
08-04-06, 04:07 PM

Wonder why RuSport isn't racing the 10 car in Denver? I assume CDM is not racing anymore this season, even under the most optimistic scenarios.

Under that assumption, I would say Jourdain is the most likely candidate pilot to take over after the Denver race, since he raced with the team in 2004.

That said, if he's unavailable, the next options:
2. Carpentier
3. RHR

-TU

Spicoli
08-04-06, 04:10 PM

That really doesn;t make sense.

TU Homer
08-04-06, 04:16 PM
Imagine that, Car Russo over-reacting. Bet he is tore up, though. I guess I think RS ought to run the 10. I bet you could get JPM, as a tribute to CDM. Wouldn't that be cool.

-TU

SAdair
08-04-06, 04:27 PM
If they are as low on parts as everyone else, it may take the 3 weeks until Montreal for them to get a new car together. Just a possiblity. :confused:

racer2c
08-04-06, 05:08 PM
I would pull it too. Could RHR or Memo shake down a car and get race ready in a week? Sure. But is the team prepared to do that with the obvious risks at hand? We already have the answer.

datachicane
08-04-06, 06:05 PM
Maybe Carl knows enough about Shorty's condition to pull the #10 out of respect.
:(

Opposite Lock
08-04-06, 08:07 PM
Maybe Carl knows enough about Shorty's condition to pull the #10 out of respect.

Perhaps, and if that's the case, I defer to his judgement. Heck, I agreed when RLR pulled the whole team out of "respect" after Paul Dana's death, but that was mere hours before the race. In this case, there is still a week until the next race, and while it is admittedly a bit selfish-fan on my part to want a full field, I think (barring any knowledge of his condition as you mentioned) it would have been better to get another driver in the car. It's not as if Cristiano has been running the #10 for years and years.

Jervis Tetch 1
08-04-06, 09:59 PM
RHR or Pat.

cameraman
08-04-06, 10:44 PM
Kasemets is only running six races with the remaining two RA & Mexico City. So that was 17 at Denver before this happened. This will bring the car count down to 16.

Anteater
08-04-06, 11:00 PM
If they are as low on parts as everyone else, it may take the 3 weeks until Montreal for them to get a new car together. Just a possiblity. :confused:
Not according to this:
08/03/06 A RuSPORT team spokesperson told AutoRacing1.com that Robin Miller’s article about da Matta’s wreck on SPEEDTV.com is slightly inaccurate. They team has confirmed that the roll hoop on the #10 car was NOT torn off, and the car is relatively in tact. In fact, the team says that the car could run in tomorrow’s test session if they wanted it to.

Spicoli
08-04-06, 11:12 PM
, because NASCAR won't pimp themselves out to Toyota... :rofl:

Hameroids
08-05-06, 12:03 AM
Briscoe

oddlycalm
08-05-06, 01:56 AM
MONTOYA Not unless somebody has some serious $$$ to buy out the remainder of his McLaren contract. Ron Dennis made it crystal clear he wouldn't be getting into anyone elses race car until the contract expires.

oc

Insomniac
08-05-06, 10:05 AM

I think it is out of respect, but not in the sense that CdM's prognosis is bad. CdM is in a coma right now, perhaps Carl would like to talk to him, make sure he's doing alright, allow CdM to know he's out for the season and then he will find a new driver.

I do find it odd they announced it now though. They could've waited until next week.

mueber
08-05-06, 11:24 AM
Rahal.

jonovision_man
08-07-06, 02:58 PM
Jacques? :D

Montreal's coming up... :thumbup:

And unlike Montoya, Jacques has actually been released from his contract at BMW.

jono

Jervis Tetch 1
08-09-06, 12:33 AM
Hopefully an announcement soon.

Jay
08-11-06, 01:57 AM
I'd love to see Jacques in for Montreal.... they'd need to put in another grandstand or two to accomodate the extra ticket demand. But, I just don't see it happening.... can't see what would be in it for Jacques, unless he wants to compete infront of his home crowd that badly. If he does well, they'll say he's beating up a weaker field, if (more likely) he does mediocre, more people will just say he's over the hill.

Audi_A4
08-18-06, 03:27 PM
so will rusport keep the car parked or replace shorty?

cameraman
08-18-06, 03:42 PM
Rusport has not said a word about it since the August 11 press conference.

JEREMY DALE: I think in the next week is realistic. For the last, you know, really since Thursday afternoon, when the call came from the racetrack, I was actually here in Colorado, we have been 100% focused on Cristiano and his family and getting him and them everything that they need. That's really been our focus.

To say we haven't had discussions would be a lie. We've had discussions. But it's not been a focal point for us. It will become a focal point here pretty quickly. And I think it's safe to say, you know, within the next seven days we'll make a decision about what we're going to do with the 10 car.

I would hope that they would announce something early next week.

Spicoli
08-18-06, 04:03 PM
Rusport has not said a word about it since the August 11 press conference.

I would hope that they would announce something early next week.

Yeah. that would be good. :D

cameraman
08-18-06, 04:13 PM
Early next week, Spicoli, I said early. I am hoping they don't pull a Dale Coyne Racing deal where you announce the driver or lack of same five minutes before the cars hit the track for the first practice.

Spicoli
08-18-06, 04:17 PM
Early next week, Spicoli, I said early. I am hoping they don't pull a Dale Coyne Racing deal where you announce the driver or lack of same five minutes before the cars hit the track for the first practice.

werd. :thumbup:

trauma1
08-18-06, 04:22 PM
unfornunatly the gomers are starting real bad rumors that the #10 is shut down and rusport fired the crew, started at spyplanes and at speed , real lowlifes if they have to go that low with BS lies and rumors :flame:

cameraman
08-18-06, 04:35 PM
Pretty simple cure, don't read spyplanes & speed forums.

Ain't like you would be missing anything.

KLang
08-18-06, 04:38 PM
What are the testing rules? If they were to sign up, say, RHR, would they be allowed to test him before the next race?

cameraman
08-18-06, 04:46 PM
Seeing as how they need to drive from Denver to Montreal I doubt that they have time for that unless they are at a track right now.

theunions
08-18-06, 05:25 PM
Shorty's replacement at Montreal will be...nobody.

RuSPORT Enters One Car in Champ Car Grand Prix of Montreal

Justin Wilson to pilot No. 9 CDW / RuSPORT car; No. 10 car will not compete

LOVELAND, Colo., Aug. 18, 2006 - Justin Wilson (#9 CDW / RuSPORT Ford-Cosworth / Lola / Bridgestone) will be the lone RuSPORT driver in the upcoming Champ Car Grand Prix of Montreal at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. The team announced today that it will not enter a replacement driver for the injured Cristiano da Matta for the event on Aug. 27.

Da Matta continues to recover from a severe head injury he sustained during a Champ Car Open Test at Road America in Wisconsin on Aug. 3.

"After careful consideration by the RuSPORT management team, we have decided not to enter the No. 10 Champ Car in the Grand Prix of Montreal," said RuSPORT president Jeremy Dale. "This is a difficult decision for this very competitive group of people, but at this time, it is the correct decision for the team. Our attention at this time is focused on two areas: Cristiano's recovery and Justin's ability to contend for the Champ Car driver's title. However, with the time available to us between the Grand Prix of Montreal and the event at Road America in September, we will have an adequate amount of time to make the best decision for the team, moving forward."

KLang
08-18-06, 05:40 PM
Nobody good enough available on such short notice? :confused:

rabbit
08-18-06, 05:46 PM
:thumdown:

Rob
08-18-06, 05:55 PM
Two and a half weeks isn't long enough? :shakehead

NismoZ
08-18-06, 06:03 PM
Even on 2-car teams resources are spread fairly thin. Even at the very top. When rumors of a 3rd Newman/Haas entry for Rahal at Mexico City began circulating it came with the understanding, "not if the Championship is still undecided." Plus, think about it...these cars and parts are done. Who wants to invest untold thousands for such a brief remaining shelf-life if they don't HAVE to? Why risk another expensive wreck if they plan on selling them soon? (GP Masters? :) ) Didn't a GA team just pull out for similar reasons? A smaller grid for the rest of the season should not dampen enthusiasm for a bigger, brighter, better '07 CCWS! :thumbup:

Wally
08-18-06, 06:26 PM
And the mystery with this team continues....... :confused:

cameraman
08-18-06, 06:30 PM
Hopefully somebody will ask him why...

[Jeremy] Dale will appear by telephone on SPEED Channel’s weekly television show, “Wind Tunnel with Dave Despain,” this Sunday, Aug. 20, at 9:00 pm EDT.

tifosi77
08-18-06, 06:41 PM
I think the search has shifted from a replacement for the balance of 2006 to a permanent driver for 2006 and beyond.

spinner26
08-18-06, 06:44 PM
Come on even twirlers find drivers, whats the problem? Is RuSport not as solvent as thought or what? :thumdown:

Where's this put CCWS? dOWN to 16 for Montreal? :shakehead

cameraman
08-18-06, 06:49 PM
However, with the time available to us between the Grand Prix of Montreal and the event at Road America in September, we will have an adequate amount of time to make the best decision for the team, moving forward." Who is currently employed but will be available by September 22?

Note that the last race of the IRL season is 9/10/2006...

rabbit
08-18-06, 06:50 PM
Who is currently employed but will be available by September 22?

Note that the last race of the IRL season is 9/10/2006...
Dario Judd's contract w/ AGR is up at the end of the season.

cameraman
08-18-06, 06:52 PM
There are better choices than that one. They want to win.

skaven
08-18-06, 07:05 PM
There are better choices than that one. They want to win.

I re-read this whole thread and don't see a recommendation of yours. I don't necessarily want to get into a "Dario vs. Driver X" debate. Just curious as to whom you'd recommend.

cameraman
08-18-06, 07:14 PM
I would say that Dixon, Wheldon, Kanaan & Castroneves are all better drivers than Dario.

All I am saying is it makes a little bit of sense that they can't announce their replacement for Shorty if that driver is still under contract. The IRL and Grand Am will wrap up between now and Road America. It is as good a guess as any.

skaven
08-18-06, 07:22 PM
I see where you are going with that.... makes sense. I wonder who on your list is under contract?

I do such a good job of ignoring the IRL (and their ex-CART drivers) that I forgot about that whole gang of turncoats.

At least Dario was "my" turncoat (favorite driver) before he left. :gomer:

They can keep Kanaan and Castroneves though.

KLang
08-18-06, 07:23 PM
I wonder if CDM's accident just really shook up Russo?

sundaydriver2
08-19-06, 12:08 AM
Russo needs to put a driver in the car. Champ Car isn't exactly attracting huge numbers of fans at their races. He's made a huge investment in CC and having 16 cars in a race is complete BS. Why wouldn't he continue to make that 'investment' and put a frickin driver in the car? Who gives a crap who it is. Fans want to see more than 16 or 17 cars for a race.

Bad move imho.

:thumdown:

nrc
08-19-06, 12:52 AM
I don't get it. If you're going to put anyone in the car for the rest of the season it makes sense to put them in and get the seat time.

Car-B-Q
08-19-06, 02:34 AM
I don't get it. If you're going to put anyone in the car for the rest of the season it makes sense to put them in and get the seat time.
On the flip side, if they're not gonna run anyone for the rest of the year, why not state that and have it out there and not leave something hanging out there. It can only serve as a distraction.

Spicoli
08-19-06, 08:06 AM
Dario Judd's contract w/ AGR is up at the end of the season.

http://www.freewebby.com/sign-smilies/withstupid.gif

That makes some sense for sure. No secret that Dashley is the odd man/skank out at AGR/SuperYenny next year. Only talk about ALMS has been Herta. Dashley's been the Homoco poster boy for aLONG time, and he hasn't exactly delivered much since the big hit he took 5 years ago. I suspect this is as good a guess as any.

But, Who the F knows. :D

Insomniac
08-19-06, 08:21 AM
Come on even twirlers find drivers, whats the problem? Is RuSport not as solvent as thought or what? :thumdown:

Where's this put CCWS? dOWN to 16 for Montreal? :shakehead

You can just look at the sidepods of the yellow car. I never thought they were that solvent.

Edit--Just want to add, I don't think that's the reason they have yet to announce a replacement.

Insomniac
08-19-06, 08:27 AM
I would say that Dixon, Wheldon, Kanaan & Castroneves are all better drivers than Dario.

Kanaan better than Dario? Maybe in the IRL.

To avoid hijacking, I think that makes the most sense for why they haven't announced a replacement yet. I think given the rate of da Matta's healing, while positive, with all the rehab he may have in front of him, he won't be likely to drive in 2007. They may be looking for a long term replacement and he's probably under contract still.

KLang
08-19-06, 08:57 AM
PG weighs in over at crapwagon:

This post is not really worthy of dignifying with a reply but it will take an ugly turn if we don't stop it now.

Carl Russo is not leaving Champ Car in any fashion. He is an integral part of our future and huge supporter everyday.

Those of us who have really talked to Carl know how heavy his heart is with Cristiano's injuries and condition. Most of us have done this for a long time and have had some first hand exposure to the dark side. When you lose a friend or see one injured it rips at you. In this case Carl feels the pain of the DaMatta family and thought it improper to race until he felt at peace with his emotions. I get it.

He is a smart guy with more emotion than those who do not know him appreciate. Cristiano DaMatta touches the heart of everyone we know with his spirit, honesty and heart. Until we know the outcome we should respect Carl.

The grassy knoll theorists are people of low moral fiber whose opinions we should ignore. If one car is not run in respect for Cristiano that is the right of those involved. If people want to bitch about car counts instead these should get together and bitch to each other because I for one could care less about the noise they make.

Paul

Spicoli
08-19-06, 09:02 AM
PG weighs in over at crapwagon:

sounds like paper, but without the bad Engrish and,,,,,

Andrew Longman
08-19-06, 09:40 AM

Also sounds like Russo has his priorities straight. This is just sport.

Insomniac
08-19-06, 09:54 AM

It's Russo's team. People are awfully quick to jump to conclusions, and Russo bailing on ChampCar, I don't even know how you to leap to that. PG was right in the first place, he shouldn't have dignified it with a response.

NismoZ
08-19-06, 11:29 AM
But I'm glad he did. I think many people needed to hear something like that.

Fitti Fan
08-19-06, 11:37 AM

Yep, grassy knoll and all.

Spicoli
08-19-06, 11:41 AM
I must insert:

Nobody with half a brain thinks RuSport is leaving CCWS. I'm just grinnin on the flag wavin.

:)