PDA

View Full Version : RA Open Test

Pages : [1] 2

KLang
08-03-06, 02:53 PM
First session results. (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Results/SessionResults.asp?ID=1627)

Legge :thumbup:

Anyone know if Team Australia was supposed to be there?

Insomniac
08-03-06, 02:59 PM
I wish there wasn't a test. Let them show up and figure it out. They've been away a couple years, it could've been an interesting event. But now the top teams will have the data, will run the simulations and what not and just be at the top. Early prediction, Bourdais is on pole and puts us to sleep on his way to victory.

KLang
08-03-06, 03:09 PM
Don't the top teams already have the data? I think the purpose of the test is to give the many rookies some time on the track. SB and PT and their teams already know it.

Dr. Corkski
08-03-06, 03:17 PM
I wonder why Tagliani isn't testing. :gomer:

High Sided
08-03-06, 04:53 PM
I wonder why Tagliani isn't testing. :gomer:

Paul wouldn't give him a car :laugh:

SteveH
08-03-06, 05:36 PM
Saw at CCF that DaMatta hit a deer, was airlifted to a hospital. Test was cancelled.

grungex
08-03-06, 05:39 PM
:eek: :eek:

KLang
08-03-06, 05:40 PM
I have some news from the track...not good. The long red was apparently caused by Da Matta hitting a deer. It was quite violent and he had to be hospitalized. At those speeds the deer could do a LOT of damage...to car and driver. Now I am not at the track, and this is all just rumor information that I am getting from a friend, so that is all I know and all I can tell you. I don't know the extent of the car damage or anything about Christiano's condition other than he was unconcious when the safety team got there. Possible head injury. That is all I know. All I ask is that eveyone pray Chris is ok. More info will start leaking out as things develop. This is just what I heard, again I am not at the track, so don't take any of this as official or concrete info. I am as in the dark as you are. Here's hoping he is ok.

Hinch

:(

I can't imagine what hitting a deer would do to a Lola. :saywhat:

Ed_Severson
08-03-06, 05:53 PM
That does not sound good, for car or driver.

Here's hoping Cristiano comes out of this okay. :(

datachicane
08-03-06, 06:02 PM
:( :(
Not good at all. Here's hoping it's nothing serious...

Chitowncartfreak
08-03-06, 06:17 PM
Some good news - appears to be stable and vital signs are good.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/30253/

nrc
08-03-06, 06:32 PM
Prayers for minor injuries and a speedy recovery. :(

rabbit
08-03-06, 06:43 PM
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/images/trackmap/ElkhartLake_telemetrymap_map.gif

At least it was Turn 6 and not the Kink or something like that. Still, 114 mph is awful fast to hit a deer.

Prayers for Shorty... :(

racer2c
08-03-06, 06:44 PM
Hang in there shorty! I want good news for you!

G.
08-03-06, 06:57 PM
At least it was Turn 6 and not the Kink or something like that. Still, 114 mph is awful fast to hit a deer.

Prayers for Shorty... :(nm

Prayers for DaMatta.

Opposite Lock
08-03-06, 06:59 PM
"...The deer caromed into the cockpit and tore off the roll hoop ..."

Holy crap - I didn't know that was possible! Best wishes, Cris.

Anteater
08-03-06, 07:36 PM
Prayers and speedy get-well wishes for my favorite driver! Sounds like it was one hell of an impact. :eek:

TKGAngel
08-03-06, 07:44 PM
According to the Speed article linked above, Shorty's now undergoing surgery. Not sure for what. Prayers to him for a speedy recovery.

Rob
08-03-06, 07:51 PM
According to the Speed article linked above, Shorty's now undergoing surgery. Not sure for what. Prayers to him for a speedy recovery.
He's also now listed as "injured critically." :(

JoeBob
08-03-06, 07:58 PM
RuSport has a release on their website:

http://www.rusport.com/news/read/cristiano-da-matta-involved-in-crash-at-road-america

Cristiano da Matta Involved in Crash at Road America
August 3, 2006
RuSPORT driver hits deer on track; airlifted to hospital

ELKHART LAKE, Wisc., Aug. 3, 2006 – Champ Car World Series driver Cristiano da Matta (#10 RuSPORT Ford-Cosworth / Lola / Bridgestone) was involved in an on-track incident during today’s open test session at Road America. Da Matta collided with a deer that had wandered onto the track, at approximately 3:08 pm CDT today.

Da Matta was quickly airlifted to Theda Clark Medical Center in Neenah, Wisc. No further information on his condition is available at this time. Updates will be released by RuSPORT as they become available.

The AP story is up now as well:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/5843580

ELKHART LAKE, Wisconsin (AP) - Champ Car driver Cristiano da Matta was airlifted to a hospital after his race car collided with a deer that wandered onto the track during a test session at Road America on Thursday.

Da Matta was airlifted to Theda Clark Memorial Hospital in Neenah. Champ Car series spokesman Steve Shunck said da Matta was unconscious when he was airlifted.
The 32-year-old Brazilian is the 2002 series champion and has 12 career victories. He is sixth in the series points standings this season.

Da Matta left Champ Car after winning the championship and drove for the Toyota Formula One team in 2003 and 2004.

TRDfan
08-03-06, 08:10 PM
Prayers and thoughts with CDM. Sounds like quite a scary incident.

Tim
08-03-06, 08:12 PM
I keep thinking about Tom Pryce. I hope he's ok.

Insomniac
08-03-06, 08:14 PM
I hope CdM is okay.

Insomniac
08-03-06, 08:17 PM
Don't the top teams already have the data? I think the purpose of the test is to give the many rookies some time on the track. SB and PT and their teams already know it.

It has been a couple years. There's been development on the cars (they're still getting faster). I think it helps them more. Rookies have to go to street courses and learn all the time, so it doesn't seem like they need to get some extra time on track.

devilmaster
08-03-06, 08:29 PM
jeez.....

get well soon CDM.....

Tifosi24
08-03-06, 08:36 PM
The fact that he is in Neenah troubles me, because if he were serious, but not too bad one would think that he would have been airlifted to Froedardt or Columbia St. Mary's here in Milwaukee. I am sure Neenah has great facilities, but I don't know if they are level one trauma centers, which gives me a bad short run feeling.

JoeBob
08-03-06, 08:41 PM
Here's the hospital website, they're a level 2 trauma center - and the only one in the area. http://www.thedacare.org/ThedaCareWeb/Templates/Basic/Default.aspx?ContentId=532f5c33-cd7e-4885-aa02-87aa66791824

The only level 1 trauma centers in Wisconsin are in Milwaukee and Madison. So, either they were okay with sending him to a level 2 trauma center, or they couldn't wait the extra time to get him to a level 1 trauma center.

(For those curious, here's all of the trauma centers in the US: http://www.facs.org/trauma/verified.html and the distinction between them http://www.facs.org/trauma/hospitallevels.pdf )

Spicoli
08-03-06, 08:52 PM
holy farkin snapples. :saywhat:

Jeebus. I was in a camaro once in the rockies and hit a deer in a snowstorm going about 30. I can only imagine what this has done to all involved.

this is horrible. and Shorty was just gettin back to his A game too. :(

datachicane
08-03-06, 09:05 PM
f/ AR1:

DaMatta surgery update
Champ Car World Series driver Cristiano da Matta (#10 RuSPORT Ford-Cosworth / Lola / Bridgestone) underwent emergency surgery after being involved in an on-track incident during today’s open test session at Road America. Da Matta collided with a deer that had wandered onto the track, at approximately 3:08 pm CDT today.

Statement From Dr. Chris Pinderski, Champ Car Director of Medical Affairs:

“After arriving at Theda Clark Medical Center, a head CT scan showed Cristiano had suffered a subdural hematoma. He was urgently taken to the operating room for surgical removal of the hematoma and is now being observed in the intensive care unit.”

Updates concerning da Matta’s condition will be released when they become available.

RuSPORT has also announced that Justin Wilson and the No. 9 CDW / RuSPORT team will not participate in the final day of The Champ Car World Series Open Test at Road America on Friday, Aug. 3.

devilmaster
08-03-06, 09:10 PM
damnit. :(

emjaya
08-03-06, 09:13 PM
Shades of Stefan Johansson in 1987.

I hope CDM's ok. :(

pkvracing12
08-03-06, 09:14 PM
:( GET WELL SOON CDM

NismoZ
08-03-06, 09:15 PM
AR1 is also saying a team spokesman said the roll hoop was not torn off and the car is relatively intact and could have participated in testing tomorrow if necessary. Praying for the best.

Tim
08-03-06, 09:17 PM
I better keep my eyes out driving up north tonight.

Chitowncartfreak
08-03-06, 09:23 PM
I almost clobbered a deer going 90 on a snowmobile once. Normally, they aren't a problem because they usually run away from the sound of the engine, but not in this case - and obviously not in CDM's case either.

Thoughts and prayers with him, his family, and his team.

G.
08-03-06, 09:31 PM
I was afraid of this. :(

Al Czervik
08-03-06, 09:32 PM
Scary ****. Get well soon

JoeBob
08-03-06, 09:39 PM
I was afraid of this. :(

Being observed in the ICU is an awful lot better than the alternative.

While we'd love to hear that he's a-ok, it is encouraging that they found the problem and he made it through surgery.

KLang
08-03-06, 09:57 PM
Hang in there CDM. :thumbup:

skaven
08-03-06, 09:58 PM
Hang in there and get well soon little buddy. :(

extramundane
08-03-06, 10:05 PM
Of all the freaky luck. :(

Keep fighting, little man :thumbup:

manic mechanic
08-03-06, 10:10 PM
While you are at it, we should thank our lucky stars that there was the best medical/safety team in racing on scene and attending to CdM from the start. :thumbup:

Get well soon CdM.

manic

Chitowncartfreak
08-03-06, 10:10 PM
Of all the freaky luck. :(

Keep fighting, little man :thumbup:

I can't stop thinking of how unfortunate this is. What are the odds that the deer would happen to cross the track at the very moment CDM was going up the hill? It's such a stupid and unfortunate thing - but one of those things that really couldn't be prevented.

RARules
08-03-06, 10:24 PM
My wife the nursing professor thinks (with the little data we have so far), that this sounds like it might not be too bad. A subdural hematoma is essentially a big, usually bleeding bruise under the skull. A bad thing certainly, but as they already did surgery to remove it and are watching him in ICU, we're hopeful the worst is over.

OTOH, there is certianly the possiblity of permanent brain damage due to blood starvation or other potential pressure-related physiologic damage. We don't have enough data here to comment any more.

So I think the worst is over, but we won't know how things turn out for a while - perhaps a few days. They may even put him in a chemically-induced coma for a few days to minimize the brain swelling.

As far as the trip to the closest trauma center is concerned we both surmise it was in order to get the damage taken care of ASAP as any resulting damage is very much dependent on the amount of time elapsed in that pressurized, bleeding state.

Sorry for sounding so clinical, but everyone probably wants things as straight as possible.

Chitowncartfreak
08-03-06, 10:27 PM
It seems that this is very similar to the Stan Fox incident at Indy in 1995 in terms of driver injury. Stan managed to pull through that - let's hope for the same here. He's in good hands.

dando
08-03-06, 10:27 PM
Thoughts & prayers for Shorty. :(

Any word on the deer? ;) (sorry, humor is a defense mechanism)

-Kevin

Willam
08-03-06, 10:28 PM
I'm just...y'know.. :shakehead

I'm praying for him and I know some of my family is also doing the same...

Car-B-Q
08-03-06, 10:36 PM
OMG, I've seen what a deer does to a passenger car doing 40MPH, I can't imagine what a deer would do to a Champ Car at 100+MPH.

Get well, Shorty. We all need to see you behind the whell as soon as possible.

P.S.
Anyone know if this type of injury takes a long time to recover from?

racer2c
08-03-06, 10:36 PM
My wife the nursing professor thinks (with the little data we have so far), that this sounds like it might not be too bad. A subdural hematoma is essentially a big, usually bleeding bruise under the skull. A bad thing certainly, but as they already did surgery to remove it and are watching him in ICU, we're hopeful the worst is over.

OTOH, there is certianly the possiblity of permanent brain damage due to blood starvation or other potential pressure-related physiologic damage. We don't have enough data here to comment any more.

So I think the worst is over, but we won't know how things turn out for a while - perhaps a few days. They may even put him in a chemically-induced coma for a few days to minimize the brain swelling.

As far as the trip to the closest trauma center is concerned we both surmise it was in order to get the damage taken care of ASAP as any resulting damage is very much dependent on the amount of time elapsed in that pressurized, bleeding state.

Sorry for sounding so clinical, but everyone probably wants things as straight as possible.

What would recover be like for that sort of injury and thanks for the info.

My wife and I have had Christiano in our thoughts all evening. He is my boy!

JoeBob
08-03-06, 10:45 PM
Remember, Mika Hakkinen suffered a brain injury, but eventually made a full recovery. I don't know how similar the circumstances were, but it is possible to suffer a brain injury and recover with rapid treatment. (Hakkinen was in a coma for a few days and in the hospital for 3 weeks.)

Chitowncartfreak
08-03-06, 10:51 PM
Remember, Mika Hakkinen suffered a brain injury, but eventually made a full recovery. I don't know how similar the circumstances were, but it is possible to suffer a brain injury and recover with rapid treatment. (Hakkinen was in a coma for a few days and in the hospital for 3 weeks.)

I had forgotten about that. I think the most important factor is the treatment you get at the scens - and CDM was in good hands today.

Wally
08-03-06, 10:54 PM
.....farkin rats on hooves I tell ya.....prayers for Shorty.

Tim
08-03-06, 10:59 PM
From Cyclepath...

I wanted to post but can't... Cristiano will be out for the season... I wanted to post that he had surgery and bleeding above his right ear in his brain.. team is really sad...

this internet thing moves so fast that its all old news..
BTW.. the deer hit the helmet and crushed the healmet rest, and damaged the roll hoop

Night Train
08-03-06, 11:02 PM
c'mon, Shorty, keep fighting.....

Spicoli
08-03-06, 11:15 PM
From Cyclepath...

I wanted to post but can't... Cristiano will be out for the season... I wanted to post that he had surgery and bleeding above his right ear in his brain.. team is really sad...

BTW.. the deer hit the helmet and crushed the healmet rest, and damaged the roll hoop

damn. thanks everyone for the info.

i suppose this will be a long wait and see....

race chica
08-03-06, 11:19 PM
The fact that he is in Neenah troubles me, because if he were serious, but not too bad one would think that he would have been airlifted to Froedardt or Columbia St. Mary's here in Milwaukee. I am sure Neenah has great facilities, but I don't know if they are level one trauma centers, which gives me a bad short run feeling.

The track has a contract with Neenah for air lifts. St. Nicks in Sheboyan isnt capeable of handling most airlifts. When Memo Gidley had his big crash he was sent to the local hospital in Plymouth.

coolhand
08-03-06, 11:47 PM
If the Helmet was cracked that does not sound good. :(

Hard Driver
08-04-06, 12:56 AM
Awful.

Best wishes Chistiano for a rapid recovery!

Anteater
08-04-06, 01:42 AM
From Cyclepath...

:( I wish Cris the quickest and fullest recovery possible!

Fio1
08-04-06, 02:25 AM
From Cyclepath...

Wow. So sad. :cry:

Turbodog
08-04-06, 03:28 AM
I hit a deer once in a pick-up. :cry: In an OW car omg :(

Fitti Fan
08-04-06, 06:47 AM
Found this on SI. Sorry if it's a repeat.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/racing/08/03/damatta.crash.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Lots of prayers going out.

Fitti Fan
08-04-06, 06:49 AM
It seems that this is very similar to the Stan Fox incident at Indy in 1995 in terms of driver injury. Stan managed to pull through that - let's hope for the same here. He's in good hands.

Just an FYI, yes Stan lived, but no he was not ok after that incident.

Sean O'Gorman
08-04-06, 07:03 AM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/racing/08/03/damatta.crash.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Wow, could they have picked a more tasteless headline?? :shakehead

Insomniac
08-04-06, 07:24 AM
What would recover be like for that sort of injury and thanks for the info.

My wife and I have had Christiano in our thoughts all evening. He is my boy!

I believe it would vary based on whether and what effect the hematoma had on his brain. He's definitely out for the rest of the season.

I don't know for sure, but he most likely suffered an acute subdural hematoma. Obviously don't know the size and scope of it, but for information on subdural hematomas, treatment and prognosis you can visit http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2885.htm.

Get well soon CdM!

Elmo T
08-04-06, 07:35 AM

Unbelievable. :shakehead Not exactly the time for puns or other word games.

My heart sank when I heard the news. We hope he makes a quick recovery.

TKGAngel
08-04-06, 08:10 AM

That article is now on the CNN.com front page.

Doesn't the noise of the cars scare away wildlife? A Champ Car isn't exactly quiet...

Ozarkian
08-04-06, 08:32 AM
Unbelievable. :shakehead Not exactly the time for puns or other word games.

My heart sank when I heard the news. We hope he makes a quick recovery.

Agree. They need to change that headline now.

Good thoughts and best wishes to CdM for a speedy and complete recovery.

NismoZ
08-04-06, 09:01 AM
PROGNOSIS GOOD!...2 more weeks in hospital, kept in coma for 24-36 hrs. 2nd scan clear, no other injuries! :thumbup: per team report.

race chica
08-04-06, 09:03 AM
Random thought- is this a chance for CCWS to pull the RA race siting unsafe tract conditions as the reason? This isnt me trying to be funny- it is a serious question.

Chitowncartfreak
08-04-06, 09:10 AM
Just an FYI, yes Stan lived, but no he was not ok after that incident.

True - but he did pull through. Let's hope for a COMPLETE recovery for CDM.

Chitowncartfreak
08-04-06, 09:12 AM

There have been quite a few wise-a$$ comments by the mainstream stick and ball media, like "ouch" and "that's gotta hurt". Makes me cringe - do they not understand how serious this situation is?

Chitowncartfreak
08-04-06, 09:13 AM
PROGNOSIS GOOD!...2 more weeks in hospital, kept in coma for 24-36 hrs. 2nd scan clear, no other injuries! :thumbup: per team report.

That is outstanding news! :thumbup:

Insomniac
08-04-06, 09:16 AM
Random thought- is this a chance for CCWS to pull the RA race siting unsafe tract conditions as the reason? This isnt me trying to be funny- it is a serious question.

Seems doubtful, but it may be a catalyst for RA to line the entire track with fences on both sides to keep wildlife off the track.

KLang
08-04-06, 09:18 AM

I don't see any reason they would want to do so. We, and many others, have raced at RA for years. It was just a freak accident. I think on a race weekend with all the people around this would be less likely to occur.

Michaelhatesfans
08-04-06, 09:20 AM
There have been quite a few wise-a$$ comments by the mainstream stick and ball media, like "ouch" and "that's gotta hurt". Makes me cringe - do they not understand how serious this situation is?
The same guys will become hushed and full of reverence (rightly so) whenever a backboard is brought on to a football field, but for whatever reason they just get the biggest kick out of car crashes.

Douchebags. :thumdown:

SAdair
08-04-06, 09:24 AM
I don't see any reason they would want to do so. We, and many others, have raced at RA for years. It was just a freak accident. I think on a race weekend with all the people around this would be less likely to occur.

I agree it was a freak accident. I've gone to Mid-Ohio many times and always wondered how often deer cross these types of tracks. You are probably right that the number of people on a race weekend keep the deer at a distance. This could have happened anytime at any of the country race tracks.

Spicoli
08-04-06, 09:30 AM

Serious answer:

My thought is that KK and Co LOVE road america, and are gambling that enough fans out there do as well. Taking it off the schedule would be shooting themselves in the foot, angering the CC mafia, and pizzing off the RA management to no end. We're (fans, teams, drivers, CC management) getting this race because its a signature ChampCar race.

Let's all get there. :thumbup:

Cam
08-04-06, 09:37 AM
Doesn't the noise of the cars scare away wildlife? A Champ Car isn't exactly quiet...

Didn't seem to bother the kangaroo at Mount Panorama 2 years ago either. Must be they just get used to it after a while?

sundaydriver2
08-04-06, 09:48 AM
I've been hunting deer for the past 10 years and from what I've read and seen, deer are often not scared away by loud noises. In some instances they have a hard time determining what direction the noise is coming from especially if it's a loud quick noise. It doesn't surprise me that this deer wandered onto the track even though they were having a test. There was probably not a lot of people there to scare off any deer that may have been close to the track.

The deer clipped the right side of car and landed in the cockpit. I'm sure shorty took a big hit. The car wasn't trashed too bad and is easily repairable.

Hopefully shorty will pull through with no lasting effects and be in a car for Long Beach in 2007.

:thumbup:

Elmo T
08-04-06, 09:50 AM

Looks like someone got to them. I checked the link for an update and the headline was changed.

rosawendel
08-04-06, 09:50 AM

not sure how active the track was at the time, but if it happened at turn 6, the noise would be coming from all angles, which, if it scared the deer, doesn't leave it many options in terms of running away.

Wheel-Nut
08-04-06, 09:58 AM
Get well soon CdM . . . .

For those that have been to RA during a race weekend, how much wildlife is seen? With people milling around for a few days does the wildlife "lay low" or is it visible?

emjaya
08-04-06, 10:35 AM
With any country track there will be wild life, from rabbits and hares up to deer and in my case kangaroo's.It's one of those things, you are not going to stop it. :(

Jim Richards hit a kangaroo a couple of years ago, luckily for him he was in a touring car.Made a mess of the car though.And the skippy :eek:

http://www.perbeer.dk/images/videothumbs/2004_bathurst_jim_richards_kangaroo.jpg

Dr. Corkski
08-04-06, 11:23 AM
Hope he's gonna be alright.

Gangrel
08-04-06, 12:09 PM
At Milwaukee this year, several of us in T4 were entertained for the whole weekend by a family of groundhogs that were living in a divot right next to the track, infield side of the inside wall. While they would retreat into their hole when people approached them, they didn't seem to concerned by the noise of the cars on the track. That is the most experience I have had first hand with wildlife at the track....

coolhand
08-04-06, 12:24 PM
Johannson picks when he hit a deer

http://www.f1.ultra.pl/Strona/makabrk/porcja7/87johannsonat.jpg
http://www.atlasf1.com/2000/aut/preview/schot1.jpg
http://www.f1journal.com/photos/1987_001.jpg

rabbit
08-04-06, 12:42 PM
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=10693

CDM was third quick at the time of the accident. :(

rabbit
08-04-06, 01:09 PM
Per AR1:

AutoRacing1.com has learned that the RuSPORT engineers for da Matta's #10 car examined the telemetry and it revealed that da Matta hit the brake before he hit deer. He hit the deer at 90 mph and then was knocked out. His foot came off brake after impact, but it did then hit the accelerator, so reports that he went full throttle into the barriers are incorrect.

Da Matta has no broken facial or skull bones, but the helmet was damaged from the impact and the deer was killed.

Chitowncartfreak
08-04-06, 01:11 PM
Per Autosport:

autosport.com wrote:
Da Matta remains in critical condition

Cristiano da Matta continues to recover from the serious head injury he incurred following a high speed shunt at Road America yesterday.

He remains in the critical care unit of Theda Clark Memorial Hospital in Neenah, Wisconsin, and is being constantly monitored.

Da Matta suffered a subdural hematoma - bleeding between the brain and the skull - to the right side of his head.

The 32-year-old Brazilian struck a deer at a 130mph part of the 4.048-mile course. Skidmarks on the track indicate da Matta saw the deer as he came over the crest of the hill approaching Turn 6, and RuSPORT engineers have revealed he had got down to 90mph but could not avoid the animal, which struck his crash helmet.

The RuSPORT car swerved right and had a side-on impact with the concrete wall just after the bridge, and slid along it, crossing the gravel trap at Turn 6 before relatively gently hitting the tyre wall.

The Champ Car Safety Team were on the scene within 40 seconds and found da Matta unconscious.

Da Matta was not taken to the Champ Car Medical Center but was instead airlifted straight from the scene and taken to Theda Clark.

Close friends and colleagues Bruno Junqueira and Oriol Servia are reported to be at his bedside in intensive care and are expected to be joined by Tony Kanaan and Christian Fittipaldi.

rosawendel
08-04-06, 01:50 PM
Per AR1:

"His foot came off brake after impact, but it did then hit the accelerator, so reports that he went full throttle into the barriers are incorrect."

there's something wrong with this sentance, methinks. should it read, "but reports that..."?

then again, ar1 is "pay to read", so you get what you pay for...

race chica
08-04-06, 02:04 PM
Serious answer:

My thought is that KK and Co LOVE road america, and are gambling that enough fans out there do as well. Taking it off the schedule would be shooting themselves in the foot, angering the CC mafia, and pizzing off the RA management to no end. We're (fans, teams, drivers, CC management) getting this race because its a signature ChampCar race.

Let's all get there. :thumbup:

I agree with ya, but then why was RA off the schedule last year? From behind the scenes it seems like CC doesnt want to be at RA because its "in the Boonies" (direct quote heard at the 2004 race from a CC employee in the media center). I love RA, It's my home track. I just dont want to see anything bad happen to it :)

Get well soon CdM . . . .

For those that have been to RA during a race weekend, how much wildlife is seen? With people milling around for a few days does the wildlife "lay low" or is it visible?

Well, let say this. People in the turn 8 campground have been able to feed the deer that wander in around dusk. Its kinda cool

Gangrel
08-04-06, 02:17 PM
"His foot came off brake after impact, but it did then hit the accelerator, so reports that he went full throttle into the barriers are incorrect."

there's something wrong with this sentance, methinks. should it read, "but reports that..."?

then again, ar1 is "pay to read", so you get what you pay for...

I read that to mean that since he did hit the brake, then fell unconscious, then his foot hit the accelerator, he did not, as earlier reports suggested, have the throttle wide open during, and after impact. It was accelerate, brake, accelerate. Makes sense to me.

oddlycalm
08-04-06, 02:31 PM
Must be they just get used to it after a while? The open tests with a dozen or so cars running sporadically in an area the size of RA isn't all that much noise. The place would be nearly deserted and there are no preparation crews there like there would be on race weekend.

At the tests you have a couple dozen people in the paddock inside a huge deserted park. Outside of the paddock there's nothing moving anywhere. That's the charm of going to an open test.

I imagine now that this is a proven hazard RA will have to consider perimeter deer fencing as used for orchards. The cost isn't high, though they would need quite a few rolls.

oc

Spicoli
08-04-06, 02:55 PM
I agree with ya, but then why was RA off the schedule last year? From behind the scenes it seems like CC doesnt want to be at RA because its "in the Boonies" (direct quote heard at the 2004 race from a CC employee in the media center). I love RA, It's my home track. I just dont want to see anything bad happen to it :)

Maybe some others who are closer to the situation than I am could toss in here, but my understanding is that they just couldn;t get it worked out....NOT because CCWS didn;t want to be there. We all have heard how hard it is to work with George Buggerhead, so keep that in mind as to why it didn;t work out. CCWs is still "evolving." Which makes me think they are still building the series, trying to tweak what fits and doesn;t fit. Like no ovals for 07? I don't think anyone at CCWS is ready to say "We will never race ovals again". It's just not happening for 07.

I think there are 2 races that would be great cornerstones for CCWS - RA and LBGP.

And soon they will add indy as the third best track they race on each year. :D

Gangrel
08-04-06, 03:11 PM
Maybe some others who are closer to the situation than I am could toss in here, but my understanding is that they just couldn;t get it worked out....NOT because CCWS didn;t want to be there. We all have heard how hard it is to work with George Buggerhead, so keep that in mind as to why it didn;t work out. CCWs is still "evolving." Which makes me think they are still building the series, trying to tweak what fits and doesn;t fit. Like no ovals for 07? I don't think anyone at CCWS is ready to say "We will never race ovals again". It's just not happening for 07.

I think there are 2 races that would be great cornerstones for CCWS - RA and LBGP.

And soon they will add indy as the third best track they race on each year. :D

My recollection is that Chris Pook was the one who had a stiff one about wanting RA off the schedule. 2003 he tried to give them the boot, and there was so much outcry from the fans and from Mario that he had to relent and put it back on the schedule. Then they got a little rain (or if you talked to CART officials, they had massive flooding and torrential downpours :shakehead ) and delayed the race by a few hours and cut the distance short. Made for a perfectly good excuse to say, "See, I told you so!" They ran in 2004 because they had a 2 year contract, but then terminated the relationship.

Since that time, CART has ceased to exist, KK and GF are running the CCWS show, and I think these guys genuinely like the track and want to keep running there. It has taken them a year to get the old mess sorted out so they can get back to this great track, but I don't think they have any plans on leaving again. Only time will tell for sure...

Al Czervik
08-04-06, 04:02 PM
Appologies if this is somewhere else:

http://www.rusport.com/news/read/cristiano-da-matta-continues-to-recover-from-serious-head-injury#read_more

Cristiano da Matta Continues to Recover from Serious Head Injury
August 4, 2006
Champ Car driver remains in intensive care after collision with deer at Road America
LOVELAND, Colo., Aug. 4, 2006, 3:20 pm EDT – Champ Car World Series driver Cristiano da Matta (#10 RuSPORT Ford-Cosworth / Lola / Bridgestone) is continuing to recover at Theda Clark Medical Center in Neenah, Wisc. Da Matta collided with a deer that had run onto the track near Turn Six at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisc., yesterday afternoon.

Dr. Chris Pinderski, Champ Car director of Medical Affairs, released the following statement from the hospital: “Cristiano da Matta continues to recover from a serious head injury sustained yesterday during Champ Car Open Testing at Road America. He remains in the Intensive Care Unit at Theda Clark Memorial Hospital in Neenah, Wisconsin and is under close observation by the attending neurosurgeons.”

Updates concerning da Matta’s condition will be released when they become available.

RuSPORT has also announced that it has withdrawn the No. 10 RuSPORT Champ Car from competition in the Grand Prix of Denver, which will take place on Sunday, Aug. 13. Da Matta’s teammate, Justin Wilson (#9 CDW / RuSPORT Ford-Cosworth / Lola / Bridgestone) will compete in the Grand Prix of Denver as scheduled.

In response to numerous inquiries made by da Matta’s friends and fans, RuSPORT has also announced that, in lieu of sending flowers and gifts, anyone wishing to express their support for da Matta during his recovery is asked to please make a donation in his name to Hole in the Wall Camps, an official charity of the Champ Car World Series. Donation information can be found by visiting http://www.holeinthewallcamps.org, or by calling 203-562-1203.

cameraman
08-04-06, 04:53 PM
Then they got a little rain (or if you talked to CART officials, they had massive flooding and torrential downpours :shakehead )

They had an open satellite feed for that race and we could watch the entire afternoon's goings on. It was a freaking deluge. The rooster tails were huge. That afternoon pretty much defined fubar.

Gangrel
08-04-06, 05:15 PM
They had an open satellite feed for that race and we could watch the entire afternoon's goings on. It was a freaking deluge. The rooster tails were huge. That afternoon pretty much defined fubar.

I was there. It was a drizzle. I had my camera out the whole time without concern for it getting wet. Whether this caused a river across the track I cannot say because I didn't see first-hand, but I assure you the rain that was coming down was little more than a persistent shower.

Chitowncartfreak
08-04-06, 06:02 PM
I was there. It was a drizzle. I had my camera out the whole time without concern for it getting wet. Whether this caused a river across the track I cannot say because I didn't see first-hand, but I assure you the rain that was coming down was little more than a persistent shower.

I thought 2001 was worse.