PDA

View Full Version : Rigor Mortis

extramundane
08-02-06, 08:38 PM
SCCA reanimates Trans-Am (http://www.scca.com/News/News.asp?Ref=623) for massive 2-race, 1-track 2006 schedule. Word is that Paul Gentilozzi is absolutely committed to ruining this season too.

“Obviously, the Trans-Am series is currently in a state of flux,” SCCA President and CEO Jim Julow said.

:coiledsnake:

pchall
08-02-06, 11:15 PM
I noticed that earlier. It only makes sense as a way of keeping Trans Am as "the longest continuously running American road racing series."

There's a deal brewing somewhere that needs the added marketing cachet.

FCYTravis
08-04-06, 03:07 AM
I wonder if this ties in with the fact that SPEED is dropping its sponsorship of World Challenge after this year, and that both GT and TC are potentially on life support in 07.

extramundane
08-04-06, 09:49 AM
I wonder if this ties in with the fact that SPEED is dropping its sponsorship of World Challenge after this year, and that both GT and TC are potentially on life support in 07.

I dunno...the entry form lists eligible vehicles as "any vehicle that meets the SCCA specifications for GT-1 and GT-2 classes, as well as any past Trans-Am vehicle." That doesn't really seem like the basis for a WC-replacement series to me.

If WC tanks, I see Grand Am Cup, Grand Am GT and ALMS GT2(s) as being the beneficiaries, not a potential 'new' TA.

Sean O'Gorman
08-04-06, 11:44 AM
as well as any past Trans-Am vehicle."

Audi 90 Quattro?

FCYTravis
08-04-06, 01:13 PM
That doesn't really seem like the basis for a WC-replacement series to me.
Unless this is basically nothing but a thinly-veiled attempt to keep the Trans-Am name as the "longest-running series in road racing" until they can rename World Challenge GT next year.

extramundane
08-04-06, 02:27 PM
Audi 90 Quattro?

For once we're on the same page (must be the heat). Sounds like this could end up being a combo GT-1 National/Historics event.

Unless this is basically nothing but a thinly-veiled attempt to keep the Trans-Am name as the "longest-running series in road racing" until they can rename World Challenge GT next year.

I've got a feeling they're gonna have to do more than just rename WCGT next year.

Fio1
08-05-06, 08:39 AM
Trans-Am's are alive and well in Guatemala and El Salvador. I think that's where they belong.........

extramundane
09-04-06, 10:43 PM
Well there's a freaking shocker (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/scca/32241/) :gomer:

Paul Gentilozzi, of Lansing, Mich., recovered from an early-race spin to win his 31st SCCA Trans-Am race Monday, the first of two 2006 Trans-Am races promoted by Heartland Park Topeka. Tomy Drissi, of Hollywood, Calif., and Greg Picket, of Benicia, Calif., completed the Jaguar podium sweep. [...] Gentilozzi officially beat Drissi to the checkered flag by 25.809 seconds.

Stick a fork in it already. :thumdown: