PDA

View Full Version : Sans Josie

G.
07-28-06, 01:27 PM
Anyone know if they tamed the railroad tracks?

Practice T&S on now.

Jayblues
07-28-06, 01:36 PM
Anyone know if they tamed the railroad tracks?

Practice T&S on now.

only see 17 cars on T&S so far

Dr. Corkski
07-28-06, 01:39 PM
Tonis doesn't want to waste his $$$ at that *****ole.

NismoZ
07-28-06, 02:05 PM
Tracks "smooth as a baby's ***"...driver. No chicane on pit straight, better passing zones, pits moved to other side, wider turns, more run-off. Weather a lot nicer than recently. I guess Bourdais was the biggest complainer so I hear he was asked to recommend needed changes! :thumbup: Sounds good to me.

pchall
07-28-06, 02:11 PM
P1 on T&S looks interesting. Some of the usual suspects are missing from the top of the time sheet.

The times are faster than last year for P1. Must be catching less air after the track jumps. :D

mueber
07-28-06, 02:47 PM
P1 on T&S looks interesting. Some of the usual suspects are missing from the top of the time sheet.

The times are faster than last year for P1. Must be catching less air after the track jumps. :D

The results of the first practice session would make for an interesting starting grid. :)

Insomniac
07-28-06, 02:52 PM
Looks like Nelsonmania can start early this weekend.

KLang
07-28-06, 02:54 PM
Way to go Nelson :thumbup:

I missed 'real time' as i was at lunch but looking back at the RD commentary I see:

'#11 Jan "Van" Heylen (R) overshoots the braking zone for Turn 6 and takes the runoff. He's stalled, but the Champ Car Safety Team is getting the Belgian rookie back underway.'

Looks like DD's mistake might stick. :laugh:

Insomniac
07-28-06, 03:21 PM
Also, meant to say, who'd want to be without Josie?

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/2644/JosieMaran_Grani_3974899_400.jpg

pchall
07-28-06, 03:44 PM
[QUOTE=Insomniac]Also, meant to say, who'd want to be without Josie?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005TNZF.02._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1118141527_.jpg

I could do without this one mad a me.

KLang
07-28-06, 05:10 PM
Ooops

'4 min RED FLAG Nelson Philippe has gone into the tire wall at Turn 6. He was on a 51.1 projected lap when he went wide in the final turn. He's ok, but the car has a bit of front end damage. '

Now we get to see how good the CTE HVM guys are at putting the car back together really quick.

Spicoli
07-28-06, 05:18 PM
Nelsonmania!

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/merv/ymca.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

cameraman
07-28-06, 05:20 PM
RED FLAG #20 Katherine Legge (R) overshot the braking for Turn 2 and came to a stop in the runoff. That will end the session.

cameraman
07-28-06, 05:25 PM
Why can't they have Race Director provide real timing and scoring?
The track broken down into sectors and sector times for everybody?
They have the data, they just are not showing it to us.

Jayblues
07-28-06, 05:46 PM
Why can't they have Race Director provide real timing and scoring?
The track broken down into sectors and sector times for everybody?
They have the data, they just are not showing it to us.

agreed

where's power? did he damage it too much in practice (again)????? I hope Team Aussie mechanics get paid by the part, they would be pulling in the big bucks this year.

cameraman
07-28-06, 06:01 PM
Qual 1

Pos No Driver Int Best

1 3 Paul Tracy 0.000 50.156
2 1 Sebastien Bourdais 0.004 50.160
3 7 A.J. Allmendinger 0.086 50.246
4 6 Oriol Servia 0.002 50.248
5 14 Dan Clarke (R) 0.030 50.278
6 15 Alex Tagliani 0.095 50.373
7 4 Nelson Philippe 0.067 50.440
8 9 Justin Wilson 0.064 50.504
9 2 Bruno Junqueira 0.083 50.587
10 10 Cristiano da Matta 0.147 50.734
11 19 Mario Dominguez 0.127 50.861
12 27 Andrew Ranger 0.064 50.925
13 34 Charles Zwolsman (R) 0.079 51.004
14 20 Katherine Legge (R) 0.325 51.329
15 11 Jan Heylen (R) 0.262 51.591
16 8 Nicky Pastorelli (R) 0.753 52.344

KLang
07-28-06, 06:08 PM
'5 14 Dan Clarke (R) 0.030 50.278 '

rut row..

AJ had pole but lost his best lap due to causing a red flag.

Wonder whats up with Wilson?

cameraman
07-28-06, 06:12 PM
Power broke the car at 11 am.

They couldn't fix it in 3 and a half hours? What did he do to that poor car?

nrc
07-28-06, 06:14 PM
Power broke the car at 11 am.

They couldn't fix it in 3 and a half hours? What did he do to that poor car?

He had a time in Practice 2. Probably fixed it and then discovered something else.

Insomniac
07-28-06, 07:19 PM
Wow, PT went out right at the beinning, then during the final scramble. I figured SB had pole in the bag. And both FCR cars managed to go faster in th last laps. I'm surprised!

NismoZ
07-28-06, 08:06 PM
PT says, "The track is MASSIVELY better than last year. It's night and day. You can't even feel any bumps when you cross the tracks." Bourdais says the people at T-1 have the best seats and "Cottman has been thinking about this one for awhile." (Referring to start) Tightest turn in CC, 25mph. More spacing? Staggered? What else can they do? Leave 1 at a time from the pit lane! Fingers crossed. (Oh, and 40,127 on a Friday! :thumbup: )

nrc
07-28-06, 08:39 PM
PT says, "The track is MASSIVELY better than last year. It's night and day. You can't even feel any bumps when you cross the tracks." Bourdais says the people at T-1 have the best seats and "Cottman has been thinking about this one for awhile." (Referring to start) Tightest turn in CC, 25mph. More spacing? Staggered? What else can they do? Leave 1 at a time from the pit lane! Fingers crossed. (Oh, and 40,127 on a Friday! :thumbup: )

Should make a good passing spot at the end of a 170 mph straight, but we can probably expect some Long Beach-style traffic jams there, as well.

Insomniac
07-28-06, 08:52 PM

Anyone make use of the reds today? Seems like being as far upfront as possible will be very important Sunday.

SpeedQueen
07-28-06, 09:58 PM
Tonis doesn't want to waste his $$$ at that *****ole.

Dear Corky:

Dr. Corkski has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

A'hem.

:D

jonovision_man
07-28-06, 10:41 PM

Question - what did they do with the tracks? Is there still transit service when the race isn't on, or did they redirect that line elsewhere? What was it anyway, a streetcar or something?

jono

Dr. Corkski
07-28-06, 10:48 PM
Unless they widened Almeden T1 is not going to be a good passing spot. Last year those cars had to use the whole width of the turn just to make it through. Only real good way to pass is to get a good run out of Balbach and outdrag the other car along the main straight.

pchall
07-28-06, 11:31 PM
Question - what did they do with the tracks? Is there still transit service when the race isn't on, or did they redirect that line elsewhere? What was it anyway, a streetcar or something?

jono

The Corkster makes really good gap filler when mixed with used kitty litter. :p

Insomniac
07-29-06, 08:41 AM

jono

They say they are trolley tracks. No idea if they're open, but it does seem like they could be if they chose to allow it.

Insomniac
07-29-06, 08:42 AM
Anyone make use of the reds today? Seems like being as far upfront as possible will be very important Sunday.

Replying to myself, I read AJ used a set.

jonovision_man
07-29-06, 08:51 AM
They say they are trolley tracks. No idea if they're open, but it does seem like they could be if they chose to allow it.

Ok, so the tracks are still there, they just did a better job smoothing over them this year?

jono

KLang
07-29-06, 09:15 AM
Ok, so the tracks are still there, they just did a better job smoothing over them this year?

jono

They changed the crossings so the pavement is level with the top of the tracks.

Insomniac
07-29-06, 10:06 AM

jono

“I want to say on behalf of the drivers, that I’m really excited about this weekend,” said Paul Tracy. “Chris Kneifel (in charge of circuit design/construction) catches a lot of crap whenever things don’t go just right. I want to thank him for coming here and doing all this work to make things right.”

Asked about the trolley track crossings (in addition to the front straight, the track crosses trolley tracks again at Turn Five), Tracy replied, “It’s a night-and-day difference. It’s like they’re not even there (now).

“Last year it was part of the show. I don’t know if it’s something we would want again, because a lot of cars fell out of the race with mechanical problems caused by the trolley tracks. I guess it was pretty cool to watch but the cars were not designed for that and, as a driver, it’s not much fun wondering if your suspension is going to break the next time you go across the trolley tracks.”

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/29807/

jonovision_man
07-29-06, 05:18 PM
They changed the crossings so the pavement is level with the top of the tracks.

Ahhh, that explains it.

As much as I'll miss the jump... :D it was ridiculous for a professional racing series, glad they fixed it.

jono

NismoZ
07-29-06, 06:58 PM
Big surprise at MIS, Team Penske on front row and, I SWEAR a hand counted 1000 (1k :D ) customers packed into the stands. Lets see, over 40,000 in San Jose Friday, so I guess that makes CC just about 40X better than The League. I've always believed that.

NismoZ
07-30-06, 12:52 PM
Concerns about T-1, L-1 have resulted in a NO ptp on start ruling...'til after tun one. That's something, anyway. Luck to all.

Insomniac
07-30-06, 01:27 PM
Concerns about T-1, L-1 have resulted in a NO ptp on start ruling...'til after tun one. That's something, anyway. Luck to all.

Interesting. I wonder if anyone will be able to keep up with SB. Starting P1, was .25s faster than AJ and almost 1s faster than PT. I'd expect AJ to at least get by PT, but will anyone have anything for SB?

Rob
07-30-06, 04:38 PM
PT is a jackass. :mad:

devilmaster
07-30-06, 04:40 PM
Tag - 'I have no cars left'

Dr. Corkski
07-30-06, 04:41 PM
That was ****ing awesome. Most entertaining thing to happen in San Jose in years.

Only thing missing was a headbutt to the chest. :laugh:

Rob
07-30-06, 04:49 PM
Tag - 'I have no cars left'
Easy solution: suspend PT and put Tag in the Forsythe car.

NismoZ
07-30-06, 04:55 PM
Forsythe should GIVE PT's backup car to Tag for the next race.

RusH
07-30-06, 05:08 PM
Why did NBC cut away?..I want to see the whole fight :flame: :gomer:

skaven
07-30-06, 05:26 PM
Race Director crapped out for the last 10 laps or so... :flame:

The whole CCWS website was slow/ didn't work after that. :thumdown:

cameraman
07-30-06, 05:48 PM
Katherine Legge is blaming everybody else :eek:

Opposite Lock
07-30-06, 05:48 PM
Race Director crapped out for the last 10 laps or so... :flame:

The whole CCWS website was slow/ didn't work after that. :thumdown:

not here - in fact the podium is on now. :thumbup:

(I'm watching GA on tv now)

Dr. Corkski
07-30-06, 05:49 PM
WTF was Legge doing out there punting people when she was 7 laps down? Has it ever occurred to Kalkhoven that there are actually drivers out there that are good enough trying to race right now? That last yellow she caused ended up hurting her own teammate too. :thumdown:

Accipiter
07-30-06, 05:55 PM
I'd hate to be a Tracy fan today. Man, imagine trying to defend that.

Why did NBC cut away?..I want to see the whole fight

Champ Car controls the production, and they probably didn't want that film to represent the series.

WTF was Legge doing out there punting people when she was 7 laps down?

She just said that Ranger punted here earlier in the race, so I believe racing him hard was payback.

extramundane
07-30-06, 05:58 PM
I just hope the damage tally on Ranger's car doesn't end his year.

devilmaster
07-30-06, 06:10 PM
I just hope the damage tally on Ranger's car doesn't end his year.

or Tags......

He was screaming at Tracy - 'I have no cars left!' and then the interview where he was near tears saying how its tough for his guys to put the car back together.....

IIRC, Tags didn't answer the bell for the race one week cause he wrecked his cars in practice earlier in the season....

Kinda makes me wonder if he'll be at Denver or if the next shunt for him may end his season....

This is probably going to be the problem for everyone as the series gets closer to Mexico...

KLang
07-30-06, 06:13 PM
I didn't think the damage to Tag's car looked that bad. :confused: Looked like it mostly just took off the nose.

What about Speedy Dan? A couple of clean passes and he was catching up to SB. Too bad the tranny let go.

TKGAngel
07-30-06, 06:17 PM
I thought I heard Tag drop and F-bomb or two, but couldn't tell because of his helmet muffling the conversation. Also, if everyone and their grandmother knew that Tag was going after PT, why did no one stop him? :confused:

Methinks PT and Tag will both be fined points and/or money for this little situation.

I'm still confused as to why start attempt #2 was given the green, when it was just as bad as attempt #1.

DD really needed to shut-up already about AJ's grandmother. First mention was funny, second time was silly, and after that, just annoying. Also, he kept mentioning that he's never seen anything like the PT/Tag confrontation in all of motorsports. Apparently, he's never seen Kurt Busch and Jimmy Spencer.

extramundane
07-30-06, 06:20 PM
or Tags......

He was screaming at Tracy - 'I have no cars left!' and then the interview where he was near tears saying how its tough for his guys to put the car back together.....

IIRC, Tags didn't answer the bell for the race one week cause he wrecked his cars in practice earlier in the season....

Kinda makes me wonder if he'll be at Denver or if the next shunt for him may end his season....

This is probably going to be the problem for everyone as the series gets closer to Mexico...

My take on that was that it was an emotional (and rightly so) response still fed by adrenaline. The crash didn't look like a tub-cruncher (though, of course, I've not actually seen the car...), so I would imagine they'd be able to put the other pieces back on. Now, if they're straight-up out of spares, I would hope that one of the other teams (*cough*Forsythe*cough*) would pony up the needed parts.

I hope the series owners realize that they need Tag & Ranger in the field, especially with the Sucketsports situation.

Accipiter
07-30-06, 06:23 PM
What about Speedy Dan? A couple of clean passes and he was catching up to SB. Too bad the tranny let go.

That probably saved him from the embarassment of punting someone later in the race. ;)

But seriously, good drive.

Spicoli
07-30-06, 06:27 PM
What fight?

they didn;t show dick on NBC. :gomer:

Insomniac
07-30-06, 06:29 PM
I'd hate to be a Tracy fan today. Man, imagine trying to defend that.

She just said that Ranger punted here earlier in the race, so I believe racing him hard was payback.

I'm a PT fan, I'm not sure why anyone would feel obligated to defend that. I know when I saw it, I couldn't believe it. I figured there was no excuse, it would seem insane if he couldn't see cars coming. And I think the interview summed it up. It was 100% his fault, he thought he could beat Tag and didn't. Horrible judgement on his part. We also all know how quickly he gets frustrated when adversity strikes (being put behind SB).

The first incident between KL and AR seemed to be a racing deal. I can't see how he ran into her. She went inside on the hairpin and hit his sidepod with her front wheel.

Insomniac
07-30-06, 06:31 PM
or Tags......

I feel bad for Tags, but between he and Will Power, they destroy their cars pretty well all by themselves.

Insomniac
07-30-06, 06:36 PM
I thought I heard Tag drop and F-bomb or two, but couldn't tell because of his helmet muffling the conversation. Also, if everyone and their grandmother knew that Tag was going after PT, why did no one stop him? :confused:

Methinks PT and Tag will both be fined points and/or money for this little situation.

I'm still confused as to why start attempt #2 was given the green, when it was just as bad as attempt #1.

DD really needed to shut-up already about AJ's grandmother. First mention was funny, second time was silly, and after that, just annoying. Also, he kept mentioning that he's never seen anything like the PT/Tag confrontation in all of motorsports. Apparently, he's never seen Kurt Busch and Jimmy Spencer.

The whole start situation was curious to me. The green flag was waving way before they hit the S/F line and I thought they can accelerate on the flag and either car can be in front at S/F. With that perspective, I thought PT got screwed over. At the end, SB mentioned that PT was supposed to stay behind him. So that's confusing. Wouldn't the flag man know that? :confused:

I'm also baffled by the AJ/pit stop situation. Mike Cannon (sp?) said they were told by race control the pits were open and they called AJ in. Then they gave him a penalty? That would've been the win most likely. :confused:

Was DD referring to the "confrontation" or the accident? I thought he meant the accident because I thought he said that before Tags tracked PT down.

Insomniac
07-30-06, 06:37 PM
My take on that was that it was an emotional (and rightly so) response still fed by adrenaline. The crash didn't look like a tub-cruncher (though, of course, I've not actually seen the car...), so I would imagine they'd be able to put the other pieces back on. Now, if they're straight-up out of spares, I would hope that one of the other teams (*cough*Forsythe*cough*) would pony up the needed parts.

I hope the series owners realize that they need Tag & Ranger in the field, especially with the Sucketsports situation.

All of the owners have shown a propensity to help out. Even when Tags missed a race, plenty of owners offered parts so he wouldn't have to, but Walker turned them down.

Insomniac
07-30-06, 06:38 PM

Yeah, he had a good drive going. At a minimum he could've punted SB trying to get the lead. ;)

FTG
07-30-06, 06:40 PM

Me too. Just wave it off.

Accipiter
07-30-06, 06:57 PM
No, just penalize the offenders and get on with it.

devilmaster
07-30-06, 07:41 PM
I feel bad for Tags, but between he and Will Power, they destroy their cars pretty well all by themselves.

please don't infer that i'm all sorry for Tags over here.....

Of all the cars he's wrecked, i'm pretty sure that this is probably the only one that wasn't his fault.

I do feel bad for Walker, whom i've always liked as a team owner.

I am concerned that there will not be enough cars till the end of the season. I'm happy all the teams are banding together to make sure they all make it through, but they didn't need completely idiotic bonehead moves like PT did today.

NismoZ
07-30-06, 08:03 PM
Green flag always waves way before the s/f line but the guy on pole has to cross that line first. PT was clearly ahead and the correct call was made. He just made another error in judgement trying, I believe, to hold back then accelerate sooner, carry more speed and complete the pass before T-1. He was too early, that's all. Ever watch the starts of the unlimited hydroplanes? Starts there are a real art. Better not cross the line before the clock points straight up and hit that line at full speed. No side-by-side rows of two. All judgement so PT would blow starts there, too.

Andrew Longman
07-30-06, 08:09 PM
Of all the cars he's wrecked, i'm pretty sure that this is probably the only one that wasn't his fault.

IIRC, he toasted one in Houston when the throttle stuck. And he toast one in TO when suspension failed. Power toasted one this weekend when brakes failed. I don't recall the circumstances at Milwaukee, but lots of folks clobber the wall on ovals. It happens. Seebass has done it a few times there.

I am not making apologies for Tags or Power, but it has not always been their fault.

And I too am rooting for Walker as one of the long time good guy team owners.

Tags has a right to be frustrated and even a little fearful for his ride. Power as an Aussie probably is secure, but Tags is not. He did not deserve what happened to him today

Insomniac
07-30-06, 08:21 PM
please don't infer that i'm all sorry for Tags over here.....

I am concerned that there will not be enough cars till the end of the season. I'm happy all the teams are banding together to make sure they all make it through, but they didn't need completely idiotic bonehead moves like PT did today.

I wasn't implying you felt that way. I just quoted your post. :)

Insomniac
07-30-06, 08:22 PM
Green flag always waves way before the s/f line but the guy on pole has to cross that line first. PT was clearly ahead and the correct call was made. He just made another error in judgement trying, I believe, to hold back then accelerate sooner, carry more speed and complete the pass before T-1. He was too early, that's all. Ever watch the starts of the unlimited hydroplanes? Starts there are a real art. Better not cross the line before the clock points straight up and hit that line at full speed. No side-by-side rows of two. All judgement so PT would blow starts there, too.

Why wasn't Bruno put in the front at Portland?

NismoZ
07-30-06, 09:18 PM
Let's go to the tape! :)

Dr. Corkski
07-30-06, 09:24 PM
I'd hate to be a Tracy fan today. Man, imagine trying to defend that.I'd hate to be a Tracy fan anytime. :gomer:

Champ Car controls the production, and they probably didn't want that film to represent the series.That makes no sense. Champ Car has been doing everything to appeal to the low brow crowd (urban street parties, FOCC, beach volleyball, ccf, Paul Tracy), and they think a little fight is going to offend anyone?

She just said that Ranger punted here earlier in the race, so I believe racing him hard was payback.She is full of crap. Seriously, Dan Clarke takes a bunch of crap for getting into accidents, but at least he has been competitive on a regular basis. Legge pulls this crap when she is 7 laps down, and people are actually making excuses for her. What a waste of a good seat. :thumdown:

coolhand
07-30-06, 09:29 PM
Legge punting Ranger when she is way behind is poor form :thumdown:

Insomniac
07-30-06, 10:11 PM
That makes no sense. Champ Car has been doing everything to appeal to the low brow crowd (urban street parties, FOCC, beach volleyball, ccf, Paul Tracy), and they think a little fight is going to offend anyone?

You don't see any difference between those? They promote one as part of the race weekend. They don't want to promote their drivers and series as unprofessional thugs.

Dr. Corkski
07-30-06, 10:15 PM
You don't see any difference between those? They promote one as part of the race weekend. They don't want to promote their drivers and series as unprofessional thugs.Which is rather odd since their biggest star is an unprofessional thug. :gomer:

coolhand
07-30-06, 10:19 PM
Insomniac, you let Dr. Cork set you up for that.

Insomniac
07-31-06, 07:17 AM
Insomniac, you let Dr. Cork set you up for that.

Yeah, I sure did. And I should've known better too.

Insomniac
07-31-06, 07:22 AM
That last yellow she caused ended up hurting her own teammate too. :thumdown:

How so? Servia and Zwolsman pitted the lap before the caution. The last thing they wanted was the field to be bunched up when they pitted since everyone else was good for the rest of the distance.

TrueBrit
07-31-06, 09:17 AM
Legge punting Ranger when she is way behind is poor form :thumdown:

..and of course Ranger turning into her is fine right? :shakehead

Accipiter
07-31-06, 09:22 AM
She is full of crap. Seriously, Dan Clarke takes a bunch of crap for getting into accidents, but at least he has been competitive on a regular basis. Legge pulls this crap when she is 7 laps down, and people are actually making excuses for her. What a waste of a good seat. :thumdown:

That wasn't an excuse, it was an attempt to explanation her thinking. But it was totally inexcusable behavior.

Andrew Longman
07-31-06, 09:33 AM
She is full of crap. Seriously, Dan Clarke takes a bunch of crap for getting into accidents, but at least he has been competitive on a regular basis. Legge pulls this crap when she is 7 laps down, and people are actually making excuses for her. What a waste of a good seat. :thumdown:

I think its too early to tell. The team was in complete disarray for much of the season. But she somehow set 2nd fastest lap and has done that a few times this year. If anything I have questions about her consistency and endurance.

What amazes me is she is forever dinging up the car but somehow always finishes the race. She lost two (three?) wings in Edmonton. She bit the tires yesterday, ran off at least once and hit Ranger twice. But she finished both races.

I'm not saying that something to be proud of, just a lot luckier than other drivers it seems.

Dr. Corkski
07-31-06, 11:03 AM
How so? Servia and Zwolsman pitted the lap before the caution. The last thing they wanted was the field to be bunched up when they pitted since everyone else was good for the rest of the distance.That's what Servia said.

Getting the 2nd fastest lap means squad when you are already down 7 laps. Especially when the rest of the field thinks you were a moving chicane for the other 96 laps. :thumdown:

Insomniac
07-31-06, 11:10 AM
That's what Servia said.

Ohhh my bad. If Servia says it, it must be true.

Dr. Corkski
07-31-06, 11:18 AM
Must have "almost" hurt him. :laugh:

NismoZ
07-31-06, 11:18 AM
67k on race day and a 156k 3-day. Everyone seems happy...so far.

Ankf00
07-31-06, 11:23 AM
not too shabby. what's the word on the tv ratings though?

NismoZ
07-31-06, 11:35 AM
Don't go there. (probably beat the Michigan rain-out show, but I'm not confident of that. Ads were screaming "Watch the Michigan 400, led by Danica Patrick and Indy 500 winner Sam Hornish!" How do you lead from the 11th qualifying spot!?)

Spicoli
07-31-06, 03:40 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=sports&id=4415823

10 year contract - $500 million. :D

NismoZ
07-31-06, 07:25 PM
MIS Rainout show 1.1/3 share...for no race. San Jose 0.9/2 share. :shakehead Dp's rant got way more air time than our fight, too. IRL claims 30k also...no possible way. Not even for the weekend total.

Dr. Corkski
07-31-06, 07:33 PM
MIS Rainout show 1.1/3 share...for no race. San Jose 0.9/2 share. :shakehead Dp's rant got way more air time than our fight, too. IRL claims 30k also...no possible way. Not even for the weekend total.Just stage a catfight between Legge and Frodo at Denver. :gomer:

Tifosi24
07-31-06, 09:44 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=sports&id=4415823

10 year contract - $500 million. :D

I hate to rain on our parade, but the 500 million dollar impact is likely on the very high end. But that being said, if we went with a more realistic effect it will still be over 100 million dollars for the 10 year contract. If a temporary street course is done correctly, and San Jose is still early on, a single race weekend may be more productive than subsidizing a professional sports stadium.

racer2c
07-31-06, 10:29 PM
I hate to rain on our parade, but the 500 million dollar impact is likely on the very high end. But that being said, if we went with a more realistic effect it will still be over 100 million dollars for the 10 year contract. If a temporary street course is done correctly, and San Jose is still early on, a single race weekend may be more productive than subsidizing a professional sports stadium.

Funny, that report didn't say that was the "high end". What is a "more realistic effect" and how do you estimate it will be around the 100mill range?

Tifosi24
07-31-06, 10:50 PM
I haven't seen their EIA (Economic Impact Assessment), but the majority of these assessments are very "optimistic" in their results. The city of San Jose has a vested interest in the success of this event, so there is reason to believe that they would be putting the best spin on the effects. The 100 million dollar estimate is just my blind guess after having read some assessments and looking at some academic research into these type of assessments. My value might be a low-ball, but the 500 million dollar total just seems fishy. This type of sentiment can be taken to any sort of sporting event and its impact on a community, you need to look at who is making the report and what their stance on the event is. From there you can make a logical guess as to what the effect might be (If IMS had put out an EIA and put the numbers at 50 million, I would have said the actual results were 150 million or something.)

racer2c
07-31-06, 10:59 PM
...100 million dollar estimate is just my blind guess...

Thank you. The defense rests your honor.

;)

NismoZ
08-01-06, 09:24 AM
In a much earlier report a San Jose official trying to justify the approval of 4 mil more for the evnt used the figure of $71 million as the positive impact on the economy. (yr.)

msvphoto
08-01-06, 01:36 PM
The SJ Mayor was on local news last night saying the estimates for total revenue brought to the city for the event are in the $40m range. I don't know if she was trying to "CYA" (CHA?) since there are detractors saying the $4m the city pitched in was a bad use of city funds. All in all, the event looks like a success with momentum building. What I find really amazing was when I got home and was watching some of the Infineon NHRA they said that event was "sold out" which combined with the nearby Gilroy Garlic Festival added up to a lot of events tugging on folks in the SF Bay Area to attend. The Sunday walk up ticket buyers seemed to come out in droves again this year and it was great to see fans lining much of the course.