PDA

View Full Version : As a Justin Wilson fan...

rabbit
07-27-06, 01:28 PM
...I really hope he'll be able to fit (http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/15124945.htm) in the DP01. http://www.caves.org/phpBB2/images/smiles/praying.gif

Warlock!
07-27-06, 01:53 PM
...I really hope he'll be able to fit (http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/15124945.htm) in the DP01. http://www.caves.org/phpBB2/images/smiles/praying.gif
He's been in Champcar since the DP01 was a glimmer in KK's eye, so I'd imagine they would have made provisions for a tall guy. Of course, they've done so little right in the last few years I wouldn't put money on it...

NismoZ
07-27-06, 03:03 PM
Bought LB race
Bought Cosworth
New Swift Atlantic
Teamed with ALMS
New Venues
Competitive innovations:
ptp
"red" tires
2 mil to Atlantics winner/spent in-house
DP01:
lighter
faster
less expensive
safer
lower operating/replacement costs
Promise of new teams, larger fields, more drivers...

And more, I'm certain. Anyone? Yeah, "they" haven't done crap. :rolleyes: Tell ya what, if Wilson is forced to step down to F-1, ChampCar is still way ahead! (apologies if you were aiming at sarcasm)

trauma1
07-27-06, 03:31 PM
panoz aleady said it would have more room inside for the bigger drivers like PT and justin, just where 1/2 this bs starts on the dp01 is beyond me, most of the TF crowd spreading a bunch of fing lies about the car, a couple of things the main designers such as David Bowes. were with Lola and developed the current lola prior to them coming to panoz and thus if you take a good look at the DP01 it has a heavy lola influence, alot of the dp01 group designed the old lola and then left for panoz, most of the old reynard people stated the company that build the Gp masters car thus a heavy reynard influence there, so exactly where alot of this unsafe Bs started was at crackforum from wilkie and his bunch, the safety standards are up to current F1 standards crash test and all, and it is oval and super speedway safe again desite the crackforums agenda the safety fetures are a generation ahead of the curent lola and crapwagons, collapable steering wheel,2 stage nose cone and on and on,

Safety innovations on the new cars include upgrades to the area around the driver's head and seat back, and increased leg padding. The design also incorporates a collapsible steering column, new side intrusion panels and a two-stage nose crush and rear crash structure for oval events

racer2c
07-27-06, 03:36 PM
panoz aleady said it would have more room inside for the bigger drivers like PT and justin, just where 1/2 this bs starts on the dp01 is beyond me, most of the TF crowd spreading a bunch of fing lies about the car, a couple of things the main designers were with Lola and developed the curent lola prior to them coming to panoz and thus if you take a good look at the DP01 it has a heavy lola influence, alot of the dp01 group designed the old lola and then left for panoz, most of the old reynard people stated the company that build the Gp masters car thus a heavy reynard influence there, so exactly where alot of this unsafe Bs started was at crackforum from wilkie and his bunch, the safety standards are up to current F1 standards crash test and all, and it is oval and super speedway safe again desite the crackforums agenda the safety fetures are a generation ahead of the curent lola and crapwagons, collapable steering wheel, 3 stage nose cone and on and on,

:cool:

trauma1
07-27-06, 03:43 PM
delta motoer sports build the gp masters and if you read this most are ex reynard designers and also so work for rusport and othe cc teams with areo work, they were one of the final design teams for the new chassis besides lola and panoz BTW

Delta Motorsport brings together innovative design, creative production solutions and skilled project management. This blend has led to a track record of delivering challenging projects on time and within budget.

A committed team of design and production engineers, with a broad range of experience, can take a project from a concept, through design, prototype and development to a finished product. The team is headed up by two key people:

Nick Carpenter - Technical Director

After gaining a degree in Automotive Engineering at Loughborough University in 1992, Nick spent four years in the road car industry before taking a design role at Reynard Motorsport. He worked at Reynard for 5 years as a designer on many of their successful race car projects, including Touring Cars and Dragsters in North America, ChampCars (including the design of CART’s current 2-seater version), Formula Nippon and the 02S Le Mans Sportscar. Nick also worked on two one-make single-seater projects, as a designer on the Barber Dodge Pro-Series and also as lead designer on the ‘Reynard-Chrysler’ which was based on the same engine and gearbox as the Pro-Series car.

Nick then moved to Piper Design as Chief Engineer, where over a period of four years, he and his team completed a huge variety of project work, including:

Design of an LMP900 Prototype Sportscar
Styling, engineering design and wind tunnel testing of the Foggy Petronas FP1 World Superbike
Wind tunnel consultancy program for the FIA Foundation to reduce the likelihood of prototype Sportscars becoming airborne
Design and production of a mobile retail vehicle selling refrigerated goods, beans-to-cup coffee, heated and ambient food
Concept and development through to pre-production of a piece of ‘active’ motorcycle safety clothing, electronically controlled & deployed via a high-speed radio link
Design, wind-tunnel testing, development and production of drag-reducing bodywork parts for reducing the fuel consumption of large haulage vehicles
Simon Dowson - Managing Director

A graduate in Manufacturing Systems Engineering from Warwick University, Simon joined Reynard on a graduate scholarship in 1995. The following year he established a position in the production department gaining promotion to Production Manager in 1997. Simon was responsible for all the production and build schedules for Champcar, Formula Nippon and Barber Dodge prior to becoming Operations Manager in 2000, adding the Sportscar, Reynard Chrysler and many other projects to his responsibilities along with the day to day running of the Motorsport division at Reynard.

After the demise of Reynard, Simon set up ‘Oxford Racing Developments’ with two ex-Reynard colleagues. ORD undertook the ongoing development of the Reynard ChampCar, supplying design and development services as well as update parts for many teams. ORD also carried out a mechanical and aerodynamic development program on the Dallara F3 car and the design and build of the ‘Challenge Initiative’ racecar which is due to race in a one-make series from 2006.

Prior to the formation of Delta, Simon and Nick worked together at Piper Design for just over a year when Simon took on the role of Operations Manager.

trauma1
07-27-06, 03:51 PM
more on the ex lola employess now at panoz ,

In addition to the new facilities, EMT also has added key staff, including new chief designer Simon Marshall and new chief executive officer David Bowes.

Marshall was previously at Lola Cars International Ltd., where he was chief designer on the Lola CART program. He is leading the team working on the G Force IRL 2003 chassis program. Several other designers have followed Marshall from Lola and are now established in the design team.

As chief executive officer, Bowes will be responsible for overseeing all of EMT's global motorsports activities. Bowes was previously managing director for Lola, where he was responsible for overseeing a considerable turnaround of that company over the past four years.

cameraman
07-27-06, 05:54 PM
The article never mentions the DP01.

The article is about Wilson squeezing into a Lola.

Nothing more.

ferrarigod
07-27-06, 06:51 PM
Bought LB race
Bought Cosworth
New Swift Atlantic
Teamed with ALMS
New Venues
Competitive innovations:
ptp
"red" tires
2 mil to Atlantics winner/spent in-house
DP01:
lighter
faster
less expensive
safer
lower operating/replacement costs
Promise of new teams, larger fields, more drivers...

And more, I'm certain. Anyone? Yeah, "they" haven't done crap. :rolleyes: Tell ya what, if Wilson is forced to step down to F-1, ChampCar is still way ahead! (apologies if you were aiming at sarcasm)

I believe Warlock was being sarcastic. Good to see everyone has a sense of humor

rabbit
07-27-06, 07:55 PM
The article never mentions the DP01.

The article is about Wilson squeezing into a Lola.

Nothing more.I never said otherwise. I was reading the article and the thought occured to me, "Hey, I hope he can fit in the new car. That would suck if he couldn't."

Nothing more.

cameraman
07-27-06, 08:02 PM
I was replying to this:

"panoz aleady said it would have more room inside for the bigger drivers like PT and justin, just where 1/2 this bs starts on the dp01 is beyond me"

rabbit
07-27-06, 09:02 PM
I was replying to this:

"panoz aleady said it would have more room inside for the bigger drivers like PT and justin, just where 1/2 this bs starts on the dp01 is beyond me"
http://www.offcamber.net/forums/images/buttons/reply_small.gif<--- is your friend. ;)

cyclepath
07-27-06, 09:31 PM
Panoz has an employee that at 6'4 is perfect to use as a model.. but he is not a driver so, a couple of weeks ago justin visited the factory to see how well he fits... and it all worked out well. (btw it was CC who sent him)

Tim
07-27-06, 10:14 PM
:
Panoz has an employee that at 6'4 is perfect to use as a model.. but he is not a driver so, a couple of weeks ago justin visited the factory to see how well he fits... and it all worked out well. (btw it was CC who sent him)

How do you know? :D

cyclepath
07-27-06, 10:37 PM
:

Heard it at a Jazz Concert.... lol :rofl:

Dr. Corkski
07-27-06, 10:45 PM
Heard it at a Jazz Concert.... lol :rofl:Happy Birthday! :laugh:

Lizzerd
07-27-06, 11:43 PM
:

Just guessing, but it could be because he works for CC, perhaps?

Edit: Sorry, didn't notice the :D Never mind...

SteveH
07-27-06, 11:44 PM
so exactly where alot of this unsafe Bs started was at crackforum from wilkie and his bunch,

Well if anyone should know what an unsafe race car is......... :gomer:

Warlock!
07-28-06, 07:59 AM
(apologies if you were aiming at sarcasm)
I wasn't...

"Bought LB race" - in a desperate attempt to keep it with us

"Teamed with ALMS" - finally (again)... hope it works out better this time

"New Venues" - Ansan, anyone? Howzabout Milwaukee?

"ptp" - video game gimmick

"2 mil to Atlantics winner/spent in-house" - fantastic idea

DP01:
"safer" - I wouldn't open my mouth yet

"Promise of new teams, larger fields, more drivers..." - I've been promised a lot lately. I've learned not to hold my breath.

"if Wilson is forced to step down to F-1"... " - Wilson would be way ahead. Don't kid yourself on this one. :rolleyes:

I've been a champcar fan since before CART, but I'm also a realist.

trauma1
07-28-06, 08:40 AM
I wasn't...

"Bought LB race" - in a desperate attempt to keep it with us

"Teamed with ALMS" - finally (again)... hope it works out better this time

"New Venues" - Ansan, anyone? Howzabout Milwaukee?

"ptp" - video game gimmick

"2 mil to Atlantics winner/spent in-house" - fantastic idea

DP01:

"Promise of new teams, larger fields, more drivers..." - I've been promised a lot lately. I've learned not to hold my breath.

"if Wilson is forced to step down to F-1"... " - Wilson would be way ahead. Don't kid yourself on this one. :rolleyes:

I've been a champcar fan since before CART, but I'm also a realist.

quote DP01:
ptp" - video game gimmick - agree but with a1gp using it and now F1 looking to add it it's going to be hard to ditch it now

it's a generatioin ahead of the current Lola and crapwagon, and had to pass the f1 crash test, as i said before most of the poeple behind this project designed the the current Loal bfore they split for panoz

Safety innovations on the new cars include upgrades to the area around the driver's head and seat back, and increased leg padding. The design also incorporates a collapsible steering column, new side intrusion panels and a two-stage nose crush and rear crash structure for oval events

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by trauma1 : 07-27-2006 at 02:

Easy
07-28-06, 09:58 AM
quote DP01:
ptp" - video game gimmick - agree but with a1gp using it and now F1 looking to add it it's going to be hard to ditch it now

it's a generatioin ahead of the current Lola and crapwagon, and had to pass the f1 crash test, as i said before most of the poeple behind this project designed the the current Loal bfore they split for panoz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by trauma1 : 07-27-2006 at 02:

Why did they bother with a rear crash structure for ovals when there are NO ****ING OVALS? Gotta agree with Warlock, we've heard a lot of big talk and cheering from the ostrich crowd but 17 cars, ride buyers and whack-ass street races that will be gone in 2 years are not a future they are an end. But beach volleyball is a different story.

extramundane
07-28-06, 10:26 AM
Why did they bother with a rear crash structure for ovals when there are NO ****ING OVALS? Gotta agree with Warlock, we've heard a lot of big talk and cheering from the ostrich crowd but 17 cars, ride buyers and whack-ass street races that will be gone in 2 years are not a future they are an end. But beach volleyball is a different story.

http://img36.photobucket.com/albums/v109/nurshad/silky_johnson1.jpg

trauma1
07-28-06, 10:40 AM

. easy 1st rear crash tests are manditory be it for streets or ovals and imo ovals will return once this ics mess gets straightened out, i've worked at the mile for years and the dumbest thing the mile did was let earl have a race there, killled attendence and that goes for both series so right ow ovals just are not bring in any $$ for CC and they have't doen **** for earl, the oval game rightnow for the time being is nascars baby, they own then lock stock and barrel, id' like to see the mile back on the scdule when things shake out, however i do not want then on banked oval, would like to see mich or fontana come back also, but right now i like kk's plan a hell of a lot beter than tg's and earl

Easy
07-28-06, 12:34 PM
Silky John-ston. :laugh:

So the mirrors don't work and Justin Wilson has to quit?

NismoZ
07-28-06, 01:30 PM
Thats what I'm hearing from some. And until it wins Indy it will not be a successful design? What about cost overruns? Tub cracks developing way earlier than projected? Gurney bumps! How tacky. When all is said however, like Swift and Reynard it SHOULD win it's first time out! :D

NismoZ
07-28-06, 01:58 PM
As far as LB being a desperate attempt? That was no attempt...it worked!

Teaming? Can't work better unless you actually DO it again. Hoping accomplishes nothing.

Ansan was never really in so CC lost nothing. Milwaukee will thrive only with merger. Blame FTG, The Split and some fans, not CC or openwheel.

Video game gimmicks are wildly popular and they work. So, improve it and enjoy!

"Stepping down" to F-1 was MY sarcasm. Sorry you missed it. Some press characterized Wilson's move to CC with those words. Fine. I wonder if he is as disappointed as they think he SHOULD be?

Safer? I also am cautious, but I believe it.

More teams? KK said so. I believe it.

You are not a realist. You are a pessimist.

pchall
07-28-06, 02:22 PM
I read sarcasm into Warlock!'s post automatically. It might help if he finally figures out how to use that winkie thingie... no, No, NO! not that one -- the other one in the smilies box.

;) <--- winkie thingie

NismoZ
07-28-06, 06:11 PM
I thought so too but then he denied it, so?...no biggie. I'm finished. :)

"At Road America today, where The ChampCar World Series is hosting a weekend of racing paired with the American Le Mans Series for sportscars, a starting grid of 24 new Panoz DP01 champcars took the green at one of the best open-wheel races of the season in front of a huge picnic table and outhouse loving crowd! After setting new records in qualifying, Lebanese ChampCar rookie sensation Graham Rahal, driving for the champion Newman/Haas racing team, just managed to beat Robert Doornbos of the Netherlands. Doornbos, a former Formula One racer driving for a new Dutch team is seeking to extend his career by leaving Europe where he was only able to land testing roles in F-1. His is the first European team entry with rumors of more to follow. Rahal,the proud first time ChampCar winner was able to make his last lap pass of the flying Dutchman by using the final seconds of his "push-to-pass," a video game-like gimmick button that when pushed gives a driver 75 more horsepower and more speed. Doornbos was philosophic when asked about the late race drop to 2nd place saying, 'I used it up (the ptp feature) to get to the front but had nothing left at the end. It won't happen again, I assure you!' American driver AJ Almindinger took a wild end-over-end ride into a gravel trap on lap one ending up inverted against a tire wall over a 100 feet from the track. Though unable to win his third consecutive race this year, attempting to duplicate a feat he accomplished last season, AJ had high praise for the safety aspects of the new Panoz, as he emerged from the high speed tumble with no injuries. Almendinger also said his team owner has already indicated he would be in a new car for the next stop on the schedule, a new sold out race venue at Assen in the Netherlands where Robert Doornbos and perhaps up to 3 other Dutch drivers are planning on their first ChampCar win. Almendinger stated 'These things aren't cheap but for a number of reasons they are more affordable now and that is a big help to the teams!' :p

Warlock!
09-21-07, 09:05 AM
In light of the race dropping, minimal fields, and Mexican replacements taking the place of legit, non-ride-buying drivers, I just thought this thread needed reviving to see if we can rekindle some of the fire many have lost. :D

The good news, however, is that Wilson does indeed fit in the DP01. :cool:

NismoZ
09-21-07, 01:37 PM
Huh, Doornbos crapped out at RA, Almendingus was a no show (the twit! I think he WOULD have been going for his 3rd in a row with an intact FCR team) but at least I had a podium with Rahal!:) So, 14 months ago I thought CC would start 24 at RA.: Now I'd like to see 18 in '08 with 15 good venues?:shakehead I need more kindling.