PDA

View Full Version : Yes, I'm sure I want to cancel my AOL

nrc
07-24-06, 04:42 PM
8 million down, 18 million to go. I'll bet the rest of them are on hold or arguing with customer retention.
http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/AOL_S__CRUMBLING_WALLS.sff_GFX518_20060724130210.j pg

RacinM3
07-24-06, 04:50 PM
Haha, look at the source.

TKGAngel
07-24-06, 05:00 PM
Could someone please tell my parents that "I don't want to have to change my email address" is not a valid reason to keep the cruddy dialup that is AOL? Please? I'll make cookies.

G.
07-24-06, 05:06 PM
When I cancelled NetZero, they offered to charge me only $6.00/month if I kept it as backup.

I declined.

Ankf00
07-24-06, 05:07 PM
when I'd come home from school for hols I'd sign up for one of 5012803284231 trial offers they would mail me. cancelling one those things at the end of holiday was the biggest pain in the arse ever.

rabbit
07-24-06, 05:44 PM
Three or four years ago I used AOL for two years in a row without paying a dime. When my free trial ran out, I called to cancel and they gave me two more free months. I called back to cancel two months later and they gave me two more free months, and so on and so on. It was a pain to have to call every two months, and AOL sucked, but hey, it was free internet. :gomer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmpDSBAh6RY

Fitti Fan
07-24-06, 05:47 PM
That reminds me of something I need to do!

racer2c
07-24-06, 05:57 PM
I had an exact conversation with AOL years and years ago as the famous one that's making the rounds. It took me ten minutes and lot's of frustration for them to cancel (I never even subscribed, I used their trial as an emergency once) and then the guy gives me an additude when he told me he cancelled it. F them.

devilmaster
07-24-06, 06:17 PM
Could this? Maybe? Could it possibly mean that the general public are getting smarter and more comfortable with the computer?!?!?!?!???

nahhhhh.

L1P1
07-24-06, 07:43 PM
Against my better judgement, I signed up with AOL. But made sure I unchecked every box that would've indicated I would accept any marketing phone calls from them. Still, after a time, they did call to sell me more. That launched me into the predictable mess of cancelling the service, making very clear at every opportunity that telemarketing was the reason I was cancelling the service.

Then some months later the phone rang...

"Hello sir, we noticed that you used to be one of our customers and..."

"Um, do you show why I cancelled the service?"

"Well, no, I don't..."

"Telemarketing."

"Oh well, I see..."

I almost hung up at that point but decided that since now that they needed *me* to do something, I'd keep them twisting on the rope for as long as I could.

TravelGal
07-24-06, 08:35 PM
I thought I should post since I'm the only satified AOL user on the planet.

I've had it for about 8 years. Since version 3.0.

I rather like how clean the screen looks and how easy (yes easy) the email client is. Giant pain in some respects but I pay yearly and the freight isn't too bad. I keep it for the dialup usage when I visit my mom. If I could be certain I could steal a wifi when I'm there, I might cancel but so far, it's worth it.

I also have Road Runner so I get to make the direct comparison every day. With my LAN, I'm using AOL at broadband speed.

When I came back from Egypt, I had about 1100 spam on the RR. I had about 40 on the AOL. So far, I've never missed anything I should have gotten on AOL so, geez, I just don't have any complaints!

Cam
07-24-06, 10:08 PM
I did a side job over the weekend. The client had insight broadband. For some reason he still wanted to log on and do buisness thru AOL..... I dunno why. :confused:

racer2c
07-24-06, 10:10 PM
I thought I should post since I'm the only satified AOL user on the planet.

I've had it for about 8 years. Since version 3.0.

I rather like how clean the screen looks and how easy (yes easy) the email client is. Giant pain in some respects but I pay yearly and the freight isn't too bad. I keep it for the dialup usage when I visit my mom. If I could be certain I could steal a wifi when I'm there, I might cancel but so far, it's worth it.

I also have Road Runner so I get to make the direct comparison every day. With my LAN, I'm using AOL at broadband speed.

When I came back from Egypt, I had about 1100 spam on the RR. I had about 40 on the AOL. So far, I've never missed anything I should have gotten on AOL so, geez, I just don't have any complaints!

It's if you ever try to cancel that sucks.

TravelGal
07-26-06, 01:53 AM
It's if you ever try to cancel that sucks.

I'm getting that drift. My only hope is that they will follow through on their idea to let the dialup customers have it FREE. Then they won't care if I quit on 'em eventually.

edit: I *hope* they won't care, that is.

JLMannin
07-26-06, 07:30 PM
I had AOL from 1996 until 1998 or 1999 - that is when local dial-up came to the podunk Illinois town I was living in. I kept AOL for a while, downgrading to the BYOA plan for $5/mo. I called to cancel and got 30 days free. At 30 days, I called to cancel again, and was teminated immediately.

My BIL operated his own ISP for several years, and his wife kept her AOL account - she still has it today. Go Figure!