PDA

View Full Version : DP01 Unveiling Chat - Friday 8PM PT/ 11PM ET

Pages : [1] 2

nrc
07-23-06, 11:50 PM
Some said the day would never come, but Friday evening Champ car will unveil the future of open wheel racing in America. Champ car plans to webcast the event which is scheduled for 8:30PM Pacific (11:30 Eastern).

We had a good time last year chatting while Jimmy brought down the house at the new Atlantic car unveiling so we should do it again for this new, even bigger announcement. The chat room is always open but you can figure 8:00 Pacific (11:00 Eastern) would be a good time to show up and get your chat client and video working.

There are two different clients here you can try - one on the link at the top and one at the bottom - or you can use any IRC client:

o SERVER: irc.blitzed.org
o PORT: 6667
o ROOM: #offcamber

Anteater
07-23-06, 11:57 PM
Sounds like fun--I'll try to make it into the chat! :thumbup:

devilmaster
07-24-06, 12:39 AM
we should start a pool to see if the car brings down the curtains.... :D

Dr. Corkski
07-24-06, 12:43 AM
I am sure the mirrors still won't work.

Anteater
07-24-06, 01:03 PM
Webcast begins at 8:30 PT. :cool: Here's the complete schedule for the evening:
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/oneof/2006/chassis/

Ankf00
07-24-06, 01:08 PM
http://img416.imageshack.us/img416/8463/20051011p00049gf.jpg

:laugh:

nrc
07-24-06, 01:58 PM
Ok, I think I have the times corrected now. Crazy west coasters and your crazy timezones. :D

It's puzzling that the schedule says 8PM for the unveiling but webcast starts at 8:30.

TravelGal
07-24-06, 03:18 PM
^^^^ Maybe they need time to edit out any possible curtain fiasco.

edit: bummer that I'll be there that evening but, lacking the necessary dough for two tickets, I won't be at the VIP party to see the unveiling. :(

I wonder if they need someone to volunteer to take tickets or something?

devilmaster
07-24-06, 06:22 PM
^^^^ Maybe they need time to edit out any possible curtain fiasco.

edit: bummer that I'll be there that evening but, lacking the necessary dough for two tickets, I won't be at the VIP party to see the unveiling. :(

I wonder if they need someone to volunteer to take tickets or something?

Find someone in the paddock with an extra ticket and shake what god gave ya. ;)

TravelGal
07-24-06, 06:40 PM
Devilmaster, I think I love you. At this stage, Im reduced to simply batting my eyes, but, hey, it could work. ;)

Serioulsy, a good idea. I was offered a ticket to the banquet in Mexico City last year. And I didn't even have to shake anything. :D

G.
07-24-06, 11:02 PM
This thread is worthless without pictures!!!!!eleven!!!!!

:gomer:

TravelGal
07-25-06, 12:21 AM
This thread is worthless without pictures!!!!!eleven!!!!!

:gomer:

Waaaalll, I don't know if you mean pictures of ME but I sure don't want to ruin my mystique.

I can't tell you how often I meet someone at a race and they say (most incredulously), "YOU'RE TravelGal?!!!" And it AIN'T a compliment :rofl: :rofl: I guess they thought I'd be 18 -- or even 28. ;)

Ankf00
07-25-06, 12:48 AM
Waaaalll, I don't know if you mean pictures of ME but I sure don't want to ruin my mystique.

I can't tell you how often I meet someone at a race and they say (most incredulously), "YOU'RE TravelGal?!!!" And it AIN'T a compliment :rofl: :rofl: I guess they thought I'd be 18 -- or even 28. ;)
I said no such thing! :saywhat:

devilmaster
07-25-06, 03:59 AM
there are already too many pics of me traversing the net.... and there are too many members here who know what i look like to confirm that there are already too many pics of me traversing the net.

Kiwifan
07-25-06, 04:29 AM
But we still love ya dm. :) Now, back to the pics of TravelGal. Just joking! It must be a boy thing. ;)

Have fun with the launch Team. Soak up the moment for me. Cheers,

Rusty.

TravelGal
07-26-06, 01:41 AM
I said no such thing! :saywhat:

This is quite true. I think it was more of a stunned silence. :rofl: J/K.

Ank is ALWAYS different. :cool:

Anteater
07-26-06, 09:59 PM
Find someone in the paddock with an extra ticket and shake what god gave ya. ;)
Devilmaster, I'm going to file your advice away for future reference. :D

And TravelGal, I hope you can sweet-talk your way into this gig! You can do it, girl.

nrc
07-27-06, 09:03 PM
The new car will feature a paint design by Troy Lee at the unveiling. Hope it's not so busy that it obscures the lines.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=226818&FS=CHAMPCAR

devilmaster
07-28-06, 12:18 AM
If you have problems getting into the chat with the two normal ways.....

Some have found this way to work also.....

http://blitzed.org/chat?chan=offcamber

nrc
07-28-06, 12:52 AM
If you have problems getting into the chat with the two normal ways.....

Some have found this way to work also.....

http://blitzed.org/chat?chan=offcamber

Thanks, good resource for those who have problems with the Java client.

Spicoli
07-28-06, 07:09 AM
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2006/By800/20060729P_0001.jpg

trauma1
07-28-06, 08:43 AM
speechles, they did a hell of a job :thumbup: Panoz

KLang
07-28-06, 08:56 AM
What's with the mirrors? ;)

:thumbup:

racer2c
07-28-06, 09:02 AM
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2006/By800/20060729P_0001.jpg
spoiler alert! :thumdown: :gomer:

devilmaster
07-28-06, 09:13 AM
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2005/By800/20051011P_0002.jpg

for comparison....

Spicoli
07-28-06, 09:34 AM
spoiler alert! :thumdown: :gomer:

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/finger007.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

devilmaster
07-28-06, 09:56 AM
I gotta admit, I have never liked the shock boobies..... But they're still bigger than Danica's.

dando
07-28-06, 10:06 AM
Wowza! :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

racer2c
07-28-06, 10:24 AM
I gotta admit, I have never liked the shock boobies..... But they're still bigger than Danica's.

:rofl:

Accipiter
07-28-06, 11:19 AM
Love it! :D

Did Panoz ever announce who they got to do the Gearbox? Or is that info coming tonight?

Insomniac
07-28-06, 11:50 AM
The new car will feature a paint design by Troy Lee at the unveiling. Hope it's not so busy that it obscures the lines.

Now seeing it, I wonder why they hired Troy Lee?

racer2c
07-28-06, 12:13 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Added press I guess.

KLang
07-28-06, 12:15 PM

Perhaps this is a teaser and not the paint scheme to be unveiled tonight?

nrc
07-28-06, 12:41 PM

Looks like there might be something fancy going on back there at the back of the sidepod. Unless that's just illustrating the mirrors' field of view.

Spicoli
07-28-06, 01:00 PM
Perhaps this is a teaser and not the paint scheme to be unveiled tonight?

Hmmmm.....

Racing Truth
07-28-06, 01:12 PM
I likey. :thumbup:

Bigger rear-wing than I thought we'd see, but overall, best looking OW car out there.

NismoZ
07-28-06, 01:14 PM
I read TWELVE Lola guys on the design/production team!? Looks like they may have gotten it right! :D

NismoZ
07-28-06, 01:15 PM
Giant rear endplates...for a big NUMBER, perhaps?

trauma1
07-28-06, 01:27 PM
I read TWELVE Lola guys on the design/production team!? Looks like they may have gotten it right! :D

i don't know the exact number of people who bolted lola but panoz raided Lola heavily i believe it was just after Lola F1 escapade which about put the company under, david bowes leaving was the big coup most of the people who they got from Lola developed the Lola BO2/oo, so if ya look close the DP01 has a pretty heavy dose of lola influence

racer2c
07-28-06, 01:38 PM
Did they take that picture down or move it? I can't find it anymore.

G.
07-28-06, 01:41 PM
Did they take that picture down or move it? I can't find it anymore.They took it down. Go look at page one of THIS topic.

racer2c
07-28-06, 01:45 PM
They took it down. Go look at page one of THIS topic.

"bad little web publisher! Bad!"

Can't wait to see the side view though.

Racing Truth
07-28-06, 01:51 PM
They took it down. Go look at page one of THIS topic.

Not anymore.

G.
07-28-06, 02:24 PM
Not anymore.huh? It's a drawing now, not a photo.

Racing Truth
07-28-06, 02:25 PM
huh? It's a drawing now, not a photo.

And a side view that tells us little. Oh well, we know the TRUTH! :gomer: ;)

Dr. Corkski
07-28-06, 02:37 PM
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/8052/20060729p0001tg5.jpg

This proves once and for all that the mirrors won't work. They aren't even reflective.

Insomniac
07-28-06, 02:51 PM
Looks like there might be something fancy going on back there at the back of the sidepod. Unless that's just illustrating the mirrors' field of view.

I did notice something red and blue on the sidepod, but couldn't quite make it out. I guess we'll see tonight/tomorrow.

Ed_Severson
07-28-06, 05:50 PM
I did notice something red and blue on the sidepod, but couldn't quite make it out. I guess we'll see tonight/tomorrow.

A little American flag motif to celebrate the fact that this is the first American-built Champ Car in nearly a decade.

And the new rear wing end fences are indeed bigger than the existing ones, at the request of the Race Director, who wants bigger numbers next year.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that they posted that photo earlier in the day. That one is my favorite of all the ones I've seen, and if I remember correctly, will be the lead photo in a feature in next month's Racer. But, there are plenty of other good photos, including a higher-perspective front view that will be on the cover of Race Tech and some great side views and detail shots. I imagine those will be released sometime tomorrow after the festivities.

As for anybody sweet-talking their way into the event ... good luck with that. There are a lot of Champ Car employees who aren't invited (including yours truly), and the guys at the office who have been making weekly trips to Atlanta to manage this project barely got invited themselves. :thumdown:

Insomniac
07-28-06, 07:15 PM
A little American flag motif to celebrate the fact that this is the first American-built Champ Car in nearly a decade.

And the new rear wing end fences are indeed bigger than the existing ones, at the request of the Race Director, who wants bigger numbers next year.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that they posted that photo earlier in the day. That one is my favorite of all the ones I've seen, and if I remember correctly, will be the lead photo in a feature in next month's Racer. But, there are plenty of other good photos, including a higher-perspective front view that will be on the cover of Race Tech and some great side views and detail shots. I imagine those will be released sometime tomorrow after the festivities.

As for anybody sweet-talking their way into the event ... good luck with that. There are a lot of Champ Car employees who aren't invited (including yours truly), and the guys at the office who have been making weekly trips to Atlanta to manage this project barely got invited themselves. :thumdown:

Great info! Especially the reason for the bigger end fences. Sorry you can't go. But you're still one up on the rest of us having seen pictures. :)

nrc
07-28-06, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the info. Can you say anything about testing schedule? The "never turn a wheel" crowd are claiming it won't make the August testing target.

Spicoli
07-28-06, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the info. Can you say anything about testing schedule? The "never turn a wheel" crowd are claiming it won't make the August testing target.

GomerForum has their p[anties in a biggy twist over this whole thing. go check it out. funny ****, mang.

devilmaster
07-28-06, 09:46 PM
GomerForum has their p[anties in a biggy twist over this whole thing. go check it out. funny ****, mang.

But i've already showered today.... :cry: ;)

Ed_Severson
07-28-06, 10:32 PM

All I know about testing is that we have a shakedown test scheduled for August 15th & 16th at Road Atlanta with Roberto Moreno driving, and we have a wind tunnel test at the end of August. As far as I'm aware, both tests are still on.

nrc
07-28-06, 10:40 PM
All I know about testing is that we have a shakedown test scheduled for August 15th & 16th at Road Atlanta with Roberto Moreno driving, and we have a wind tunnel test at the end of August. As far as I'm aware, both tests are still on.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like the naysayers got wind that "those mirrors will never work" and are hoping to make some hay with it. :gomer:

ferrarigod
07-28-06, 11:53 PM

wilke got PWN3D by RocketDoc in post #143. wilke says the new car is unsafe and unfixable, and RocketDoc calls him and idiot after wilke says RocketDoc has no experience with the technology used in cars.

Guess wilkes sources, i mean jan, didn't quite tell him to look at sig names and know people before you berate them. tff. idiot

HAHAHAHAAHAH.

it is a bad day for the TF losers, everything they've never wanted is happening in 10 minutes.

theunions
07-29-06, 12:03 AM

1. I'm not sure that's the actual TLD paint scheme (but we'll see for sure soon enough).
2. Good question, esp. since Randy Owens has done a bunch of stuff for CART/CCWS since at least 2000.

Gangrel
07-29-06, 12:12 AM
Looks like the event is great tonight, but is someone from TF running the webcast? :gomer:

Gangrel
07-29-06, 12:25 AM
Wow!

Paddle shift, high downforce with small wings, onboard starter, and sets new standard for driver safety. Hope we don't have to put that last one to the test too much, but if this car delivers on all of the above, this is huge.

Lizzerd
07-29-06, 12:27 AM
I didn't hear a damn word KK said.

Gangrel
07-29-06, 12:35 AM
None of us did. Thus the reference to TF folks running the webcast. :D

ferrarigod
07-29-06, 12:42 AM
None of us did. Thus the reference to TF folks running the webcast. :D

he introduced gelles, and did the usual rah-rah thing.

i turned my speakers way up to hear it before they fixed the mic

devilmaster
07-29-06, 12:43 AM
i turned my speakers way up to hear it before they fixed the mic

Then, like me, I bet you near blew out your eardrums on the video start....

SteveH
07-29-06, 12:45 AM
Did you see BRian Barnhart standing behind the railing?

Spicoli
07-29-06, 12:57 AM

Sure did. Right by PT.

racer2c
07-29-06, 01:00 AM

:eek: that's going to cause some heart attacks on TF! A gomers clogged arteries from too many tenderloins can only take so much shock.

devilmaster
07-29-06, 01:02 AM
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2006/By400/20060730P_0001.jpg

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2006/By400/20060728P_0001.jpg

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2006/By400/20060728P_0003.jpg

racer2c
07-29-06, 01:08 AM
Looks great!

the rear wing has huge end plates and is very narrow. Not being an engineer is this something that will allow the cars to run closer up without turbulance?

nrc
07-29-06, 01:08 AM
Sure did. Right by PT.

Let me be the first to get my caption in for that one...

"I won."
"Did not."
"Did too."
"Did not."
"Did too."

rabbit
07-29-06, 02:08 AM
Let me be the first to get my caption in for that one...

"I won."
"Did not."
"Did too."
"Did not."
"Did too."
:rofl:

ferrarigod
07-29-06, 04:43 AM
Then, like me, I bet you near blew out your eardrums on the video start....

nope, heard him say that and quickly dragged my mouse off of full screen and hit mute til I could readjust. ;)

ferrarigod
07-29-06, 04:46 AM

no i did not. is this real cause I missed most video while i was screwing around with audio. if true, wow. if not, wow.

Kiwifan
07-29-06, 05:40 AM
As much as I'll be sad to see the old cars put out to pasture time waits for no-one and this car has the potential to provide some really exciting racing.

I managed to watch the show Live on the net and all I can say is "wow." Maybe you had to be there but Kevin and Co REALLY need to get someone who KNOWS or CARES about production. As much as I love Champ Car that was bloody awful. Sorry guys, hire someone who can do the job. Hint, the Aussies are doing ok in running the Series, ;) and they do a great job running the 300, Kiwis are tops with movies and docos, the British do great classics...hire someone who can make a presentation look professional! You don't have to impress us, we the fans love you but for a casual fan, well they musta been shaking their heads as I'm sure Kevin is too. At least he seemed to play along and made the most of the shambles.

Anyway, bring it on!

Rusty.

Fio1
07-29-06, 08:00 AM
This is a nice looking car. I love the on board starter deal (finally!), it should lessen the yellows a bit. The paddle shifting deal is a nice as well as is the shift without lift. :thumbup:

With 2007 looking like such a good year for champcars, I bet there will be 22-24 cars each weekend, why in the world would any CCWS fan want to merge with the IRL, which is on a down slope? :shakehead

Insomniac
07-29-06, 08:36 AM
wilke got PWN3D by RocketDoc in post #143. wilke says the new car is unsafe and unfixable, and RocketDoc calls him and idiot after wilke says RocketDoc has no experience with the technology used in cars.

Guess wilkes sources, i mean jan, didn't quite tell him to look at sig names and know people before you berate them. tff. idiot

HAHAHAHAAHAH.

it is a bad day for the TF losers, everything they've never wanted is happening in 10 minutes.

I must be blind. I took my first foray over to TF to see the implosion and see nothing of the sort. Maybe I have the wrong forum.

KLang
07-29-06, 08:41 AM
I must be blind. I took my first foray over to TF to see the implosion and see nothing of the sort. Maybe I have the wrong forum.

Racing Biz / Mergerville forum. There isn't a link on the front page. Follow the Forums link on the left. Don't forget your rubber gloves. :p

Spicoli
07-29-06, 09:28 AM

:saywhat:

you're blind.

Insomniac
07-29-06, 09:58 AM
:saywhat:

you're blind.

And they put threads in the most illogical places!

Gangrel
07-29-06, 10:16 AM
The paddle shifting deal is a nice as well as is the shift without lift. :thumbup:

The paddle shift is definately an upgrade, but the current Champ Cars are SWOL, and have been for years.

Chief
07-29-06, 10:25 AM
The paddle shift is definately an upgrade, but the current Champ Cars are SWOL, and have been for years.

The downshift needed the lift, upshift was SWOL. Semi auto will allow both. That's the innovation.

Gangrel
07-29-06, 10:45 AM
The downshift needed the lift, upshift was SWOL. Semi auto will allow both. That's the innovation.

Thank, Chief. Just read that myself, too...

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/29810/

Didn't remember DD mentioning last night that one of the safety innovations is a change in the seat angle. Also, the front of the sidepods are open to allow airflow over the radiators and through the sidepods, which has the side effect of creating more downforce.

This car gets better and better the more I hear about it!

devilmaster
07-29-06, 10:49 AM
btw, good chat last night. I think we had near 30 total when it was all said and done.

Thanks for joinin in.

NismoZ
07-29-06, 11:01 AM
I hear Barnhart was also at the factory last week crawling all over that car, paying particular attention to the underbody. No way he'd even be there or at the unveiling if there weren't still strong mergification thoughts in the air. I'm certain a proud and confident KK gave him a personal invite. :)

dando
07-29-06, 11:02 AM
btw, good chat last night. I think we had near 30 total when it was all said and done.

Thanks for joinin in.
I tried, but I couldn't get in. :(

(slurping WiFi while I'm @ the beach in NJ.) :)

-Kevin

Spicoli
07-29-06, 11:09 AM
I hear Barnhart was also at the factory last week crawling all over that car, paying particular attention to the underbody. No way he'd even be there or at the unveiling if there weren't still strong mergification thoughts in the air. I'm certain a proud and confident KK gave him a personal invite. :)

IndyTool says no. :gomer:

indycool

Relax. I called a friend on his cell phone at Michigan, he asked BB and was point-blank told by BB that he was NOT at San Jose.

pchall
07-29-06, 12:01 PM

"Mergification" means IRL capitulation! :eek:

gjc2
07-29-06, 12:15 PM
"Mergification" means IRL capitulation! :eek:

I agree. I don't think getting the Indianapolis 500 should require taking any other part of the Crap Wagon League.

I really believe we will see at least one, if not two or three major "CWL" teams joining the CCWS in '07, although those teams may continue to have a presence in the "CWL".

George

EDwardo
07-29-06, 01:01 PM

Reminds me of a line from Firesign Theater.

"How can you be in two places at once when you aren't anywhere at all?"

:laugh:

nrc
07-29-06, 01:05 PM
Maybe it was all part of that strange intro production. CCWS hired a band of IRL character impersonators. I'll bet there was a faux Tony George and a faux A.J. Foyt there as well.

nrc
07-29-06, 01:39 PM
Champ car has some higher rez images on their site now.
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2006/By800/20060729P_0007.jpg

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Event/EventPhotos.asp?ID=16710&EventID=583&GalleryDay=7%2F29%2F2006&AbsolutePage=1&PageMode=RACE

devilmaster
07-29-06, 01:42 PM
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2006/By800/20060729P_0006.jpg

I luv this shot..... The car looks sleek and sweet and speedy and badass. :thumbup:

Dr. Corkski
07-29-06, 01:43 PM
As for anybody sweet-talking their way into the event ... good luck with that. There are a lot of Champ Car employees who aren't invited (including yours truly), and the guys at the office who have been making weekly trips to Atlanta to manage this project barely got invited themselves. :thumdown:Not hardcore enough for hardcards? :gomer:

Nice looking machine. :thumbup:

Racing Truth
07-29-06, 01:57 PM

Didn't watch the webcast, but this is interesting, if true. Very interesting. I mean, why else would he be there?*

Nice car, though the nose is a little to F1ish to me, but that's no big thing to me. :thumbup:

*Unrelated sidenote: Barnhart, rightly, gets a ton of flack here and at other places. But ever since the cluster**** of Indy '02, I think he's steadily improved. At this point, I have few issues with how he runs a race. Cottman is still best of course, but if mergification ever happens, and BB is a major part, I'm OK with that.

devilmaster
07-29-06, 02:02 PM
wow, i'm observant.... i was looking for the airjack connection for the longest time and I just realized its in the middle of the rainlight..... :gomer:

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2006/By800/20060729P_0008.jpg

Andrew Longman
07-29-06, 02:08 PM
Does anyone know if Panoz did any sort of development for a speedway package?

Presuming the worst for the IRL it is not entirely out of the question, TG may find himself inviting CC teams in 07 or 08 to help fill his 500.

Assuming Cosworth and/or Honda could tune/detune the engines through the ECU to get somewhat equal speed, the DP01 still would need a different wing package.

Personally I think a single element front wing won't look right on the DP01

Ed_Severson
07-29-06, 02:13 PM
Not hardcore enough for hardcards? :gomer:

Nice looking machine. :thumbup:

Hey, I've got no issues with not being invited myself ... I'm low guy on the totem pole. No sense in denying that. But, it's absolutely stupid to unveil a new racecar and have your technical committee have to practically fistfight the president to get invited to the party.

At the end of the day, though, I get to touch it and you don't, so it's all good. :gomer:

theunions
07-29-06, 02:48 PM
I managed to watch the show Live on the net and all I can say is "wow." Maybe you had to be there but Kevin and Co REALLY need to get someone who KNOWS or CARES about production. As much as I love Champ Car that was bloody awful. Sorry guys, hire someone who can do the job.

The production wasn't even good BEFORE the formal show started - camera jiggling all over the place during the pre-recorded driver interviews, for example.

Anteater
07-29-06, 03:10 PM
I thought that the Atlantic Launch webcast was far superior to the DP01 Launch webcast. The production crew could have done a lot more (more driver interviews and reaction to the chassis etc.). And who selected the entertainment for the party? It was bizarre!

But that is a good-looking car, and the new features sound like a step in the right direction.

dando
07-29-06, 03:12 PM
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2006/By800/20060729P_0006.jpg

I luv this shot..... The car looks sleek and sweet and speedy and badass. :thumbup:
I'm in love. :)

-Kevin

EDwardo
07-29-06, 03:23 PM
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/6294/unveilingfq8.jpg

Some brave soul posted this pic over at **ack***um

dando
07-29-06, 03:41 PM
^^^ Barnhart http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:Oz_TRYS14rqNdM:indymotorspeedway.com/04pics/03Barnhart.jpg and Booby http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:ixymUUHg_pKRPM:i2.tinypic.com/tag9s5.jpg ?

-Kevin