PDA

View Full Version : Just curious...

rabbit
07-23-06, 11:44 PM
But does anyone know what Derek Daly's favorite camera shot was at Edmonton? I'm not sure if he mentioned it during the broadcast. :rolleyes: :gomer:

Tony George
07-24-06, 12:38 AM
But does anyone know what Derek Daly's favorite camera shot was at Edmonton? I'm not sure if he mentioned it during the broadcast. :rolleyes: :gomer:

well, well, well!!! :D

Kiwifan
07-24-06, 12:50 AM
Um, for those of us on the other side of the world not privillaged with coverage, well, are we going to see it? :)

Take care bunny. ;)

Rusty.

nrc
07-24-06, 12:52 AM

You know, I'm a more Daly-tolerant than your average Champ car fan, but that got annoying even for me.

Oh, and by the way, as much as I appreciate Bridgestone and their support, do you think you could take a moment out from the obligatory Bridgestone big-wig report to SHOW THE FRIGGING PASS FOR THE LEAD. :saywhat:

oddlycalm
07-24-06, 03:10 AM
You know, I'm a more Daly-tolerant than your average Champ car fan, but that got annoying even for me.

Oh, and by the way, as much as I appreciate Bridgestone and their support, do you think you could a moment out from the obligatory Bridgestone big-wig report to SHOW THE FRIGGING PASS FOR THE LEAD. :saywhat: Typical lazy broadcast with pre-scripted stories for the announcers to babble through and the obligatory sponsor promos. Both Benjamin and Daly have been doing this a long time now and they barely phoned this one in. They seemed to miss most of the race action and, as a result, so did we. :thumdown:

Same thing happened with the MotoGP race today. You'd think as long as Ralph Shaheen has been doing it he'd know how to call a race, but he went silent or lapsed into babble mode today and Freddy Spencer had to jump in and call the first part of the race. Ralph eventually got his brain to commence operations and was able to start calling the race, but they entirely missed Hayden's pass for the lead and had to go back and mention how he got there. Glad it was only for this one race.... :shakehead

oc

racer2c
07-24-06, 09:06 AM
Ok guys, I'm like nrc, Daly doesn't bug me like others. Does he over use the "hollyhocks" bit? Yes. Does his "well, well, well" act like fingers on a chalk board? Sure. But I DVR'd the CCWS race and the IRL race and watched them back to back and Daly is ONE MILLION TIMES better than Wallace and Goodyear combined! And one million times better is not an exaggeration.

There is much more of a excitement level with Benjamin and Daly, the IRL guys sound like they couldn't care less if they were there or not (maybe they couldn't).

Daly has his quirks, but think of how bad it could be (Wallace and Goodyear who talk to the audience like a group of trainables).

spinner26
07-24-06, 10:17 AM
If someone put Daly on a boat back across hte pond and it sank I would nt feel bad, is that wrong?

Spicoli
07-24-06, 10:43 AM
If someone put Daly on a boat back across hte pond and it sank I would nt feel bad, is that wrong?

nope. Hollyhocks needs to be sat down.

Or gone.

racer2c
07-24-06, 10:50 AM

Over a niche sport booth announcer? You got issues man. :)

Hard Driver
07-24-06, 11:27 AM
I kinda like Daly. I'm not sure that he is the ideal guy, not a John Madden of ChampCar, but does well enough. Yes, missing the pass for the lead is a bit annoying, but they did go back and show it more than once. It was not "missed" all together or anything.

I personally would prefer a bit less interuptions with interviews of people or showing Nelson's birthday party. But overall I don't think the coverage is too bad.

devilmaster
07-24-06, 11:39 AM
My problem with all of this is that Benji and Daly are experienced. But they are missing some of the most obvious things that happen on track.

Example: During the 2nd stop - Wilson pits first and comes back out, then a quick spin happens, and seabass pits. They completely missed Wilson cycling back into the lead - until daly quickly mentions it 30 seconds after the fact.

Now, if this was the F1 race, both the ITV and speed crews would have a long shot camera down the pit straight and they'd both be talking about how this may be the pass for the win. 'Who gets the lead? Newman/Haas need a great pit here!' - I can hear Varsha saying... We didn't get any of that yesterday and pretty much don't get that all season.

Now, I want to give Benji and DD some slack because they are experienced, and I have seen them do better broadcasts. The one who doesn't seem experienced is the director. Do they have enough broadcast spotters on the track to tell the director what's going on? Does the director know that when teams pit off different laps there is a cycling around of leaders? The director has to be competent, has to think quick on his feet, and has to know something about racing.

KLang
07-24-06, 12:04 PM
Now, I want to give Benji and DD some slack because they are experienced, and I have seen them do better broadcasts. The one who doesn't seem experienced is the director. Do they have enough broadcast spotters on the track to tell the director what's going on? Does the director know that when teams pit off different laps there is a cycling around of leaders? The director has to be competent, has to think quick on his feet, and has to know something about racing.

Isn't there a new production company this year?

I don't mind DD, in fact I rather enjoy his commentary at times.

I tend not to notice when they miss stuff happening on track as I've got the live timing and commentary up on a laptop.

racer2c
07-24-06, 12:15 PM
Maybe CC should hire their own NASCAR color commentator to help pull some of the can o' bud drinkers over to our "sport".

How 'bout Benny Parsons, Bill Elliot, or hey I know, Jimmy Spencer!

w00t!

devilmaster
07-24-06, 12:15 PM
Isn't there a new production company this year?

I don't mind DD, in fact I rather enjoy his commentary at times.

I tend not to notice when they miss stuff happening on track as I've got the live timing and commentary up on a laptop.

I think we've gone through 3 or 4 production companies in the past 4-5 years....

Andrew Longman
07-24-06, 12:34 PM
My problem with all of this is that Benji and Daly are experienced. But they are missing some of the most obvious things that happen on track.

Example: During the 2nd stop - Wilson pits first and comes back out, then a quick spin happens, and seabass pits. They completely missed Wilson cycling back into the lead - until daly quickly mentions it 30 seconds after the fact.

Now, if this was the F1 race, both the ITV and speed crews would have a long shot camera down the pit straight and they'd both be talking about how this may be the pass for the win. 'Who gets the lead? Newman/Haas need a great pit here!' - I can hear Varsha saying... We didn't get any of that yesterday and pretty much don't get that all season.

While they did talk about how Wilson would cycle back to P1, on that pit stop they did not talk about the fact that Tags sitting in the tires might bring out a full course caution (ironically caused by SB putting Tags there), which would could keep Wilson from cycling back to P1.

As it was, if I understand it correctly, race control did not throw the caution immediately which meant SB could pit and not wait for the pits to open. Once he was in the pit they further did not throw the yellow until he was out and the cycling was complete.

Depending on how you feel about Tags sitting there without help in the tires, I think race control did a good thing to let that play out and not let a yellow determine the outcome of the race. At the time I was screaming at the TV wanting to know if SB was about to steal a win because of a yellow he caused, but DD said nothing about it.

extramundane
07-24-06, 12:38 PM
Maybe CC should hire their own NASCAR color commentator to help pull some of the can o' bud drinkers over to our "sport".

How 'bout Benny Parsons, Bill Elliot, or hey I know, Jimmy Spencer!

w00t!

I'd prefer Spic & Ank with a couple kegs of beer and no 5-second delay.

racer2c
07-24-06, 12:45 PM

Yeah, that would be entertaining as long as they didn't keep digressing into flavor of the month alternative music arguments. :)

Spicoli
07-24-06, 12:54 PM

We can get R done. :thumbup:

oddlycalm
07-24-06, 04:13 PM
Now, I want to give Benji and DD some slack because they are experienced, and I have seen them do better broadcasts. The one who doesn't seem experienced is the director. Do they have enough broadcast spotters on the track to tell the director what's going on?Since the same thing is happening with other SPEED broadcasts you're likely correct. I could put up with Daly no problem if I was actually getting to see the race.

oc

Ankf00
07-24-06, 04:26 PM
Yeah, that would be entertaining as long as they didn't keep digressing into flavor of the month alternative music arguments. :)
I'm sorry that the 60's no longer exist and younger artists born in the interim have the gall to record *gasp* new music. Actually, I'm not. :gomer: "Oh, the humanity!"

Ankf00
07-24-06, 04:27 PM
Make it Shiner Bock and you've got a deal :thumbup: And maybe bonus footage of mooning the drivers, their girlfriends, or the crowd, or all of the above. You never know with these things...

Dr. Corkski
07-24-06, 04:27 PM
Yeah, that would be entertaining as long as they didn't keep digressing into flavor of the month alternative music arguments. :)That broadcast would be so emo that I would have to cut myself watch it. :gomer:

racer2c
07-24-06, 04:28 PM
I'm sorry that the 60's no longer exist and younger artists born in the interim have the gall to record *gasp* new music. Actually, I'm not. :gomer: "Oh, the humanity!"

I was 1 year old when the 60's ended. I've been told I liked "itsy bitsy spider".

:gomer:

NismoZ
07-24-06, 04:35 PM
You nailed it. The director is critically important. I'd like the Lingner group to be written into any merger agreement.

pkvracing12
07-24-06, 04:51 PM
Hold on to your holly hocks! or whatever it is :)

Ankf00
07-24-06, 05:12 PM
That broadcast would be so emo that I would have to cut myself watch it. :gomer:
who invited O'Gorman?