PDA

View Full Version : Rahal Transporter at Edmonton???

toymaker
07-23-06, 03:24 PM
Did anyone get a picture of the Rahal-Letterman transporter at Edmonton as mentioned on AR1? With them deep into "enemy territory" did it have a white flag on the antennas? Or with Danica moving on are they tying to get in on the Kalkoven money machine? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cameraman
07-23-06, 03:33 PM
Was it for Graham?

If it was, why would anyone be surprised?

Insomniac
07-23-06, 03:34 PM
Did anyone get a picture of the Rahal-Letterman transporter at Edmonton as mentioned on AR1? With them deep into "enemy territory" did it have a white flag on the antennas? Or with Danica moving on are they tying to get in on the Kalkoven money machine? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why would they need a whole transporter there if they aren't racing?

Selling old parts?

Insomniac
07-23-06, 03:35 PM
Was it for Graham?

If it was, why would anyone be surprised?

Graham is racing for Mi-Jack Racing.

Rogue Leader
07-23-06, 03:35 PM
edit: im stupid, Grahm races for Mi-Jack as per above....

cameraman
07-23-06, 03:36 PM
Maybe it was a trailer load of rear wings. He could get rich :rolleyes:

swift
07-23-06, 03:36 PM
<deleted>

cameraman
07-23-06, 03:37 PM
Graham is racing for Mi-Jack Racing.

In name at least. Whose transporter did they use?

Spicoli
07-23-06, 03:43 PM
From Edmonton and AR1:

"With all the rumors which have been around this year of a possible Champ Car-IRL merger or the suggestions that all it would take is a couple of top teams like Rahal-Letterman, Roger Penske or Chip Ganassi to come over to Champ Car, Bobby Rahal said it's possible. You might just see that big Rahal-Letterman unit in the paddock around in the future, and not just visiting to watch his son race Formula Atlantic.

"You never know,'' he said.

"It's a great series. Owners like to race in great series. Many things depend on sponsors. They're putting on great events. It's great racing. Whatever will happen will happen.''

As for the merger ...

"I hope so,'' he said. "But we've only been talking about that for the last decade.

"Penske, Ganassi or ourselves are probably 50-50 odds,'' he said of making a move to Champ Car if a merger doesn't happen.

He certainly likes what he witnessed here yesterday.

Rahal said he'd heard about the crowds here last year but said seeing 59,538 for qualifying yesterday is believing.

"I think it's great. It's a great venue. It's very impressive. It's wonderful.''

Rahal said he can see his son racing Champ Car in the future, even if Rahal-Letterman stays in the IRL."

NismoZ
07-23-06, 03:57 PM
:)

cameraman
07-23-06, 03:58 PM
Rahal said he can see his son racing Champ Car in the future, even if Rahal-Letterman stays in the IRL." He missed one GP2 test because he "missed his flight". Now Bobby can see him in CCWS. You have to wonder what the truth of the matter is.

devilmaster
07-23-06, 04:06 PM
He missed one GP2 test because he "missed his flight". Now Bobby can see him in CCWS. You have to wonder what the truth of the matter is.

The truth will be whatever Rahal can get.... and he'll claim its the greatest thing since sliced bread when asked.

chop456
07-23-06, 04:06 PM
He missed one GP2 test because he "missed his flight". Now Bobby can see him in CCWS. You have to wonder what the truth of the matter is.

As we all know, there's only one flight to Europe per day.

devilmaster
07-23-06, 04:11 PM
Here's a question: If Rahal were to come back, would they go back to being Team Rahal?

They changed after they went to Indy... probably on a request from FTG - even letterman's name couldn't save his race.

cameraman
07-23-06, 04:15 PM
From Edmonton and AR1:
snip
Rahal said he can see his son racing Champ Car in the future, even if Rahal-Letterman stays in the IRL."

AR1? Try the Edmonton Sun :rolleyes:

Danica Patrick took a verbal shot at her boss, Bobby Rahal, the other day.

"She said there's not a leader on her team because he's always gone watching me race,'' said Graham Rahal.

Bobby Rahal was in Edmonton yesterday complete with his massive Rahal-Letterman Indy Racing League unit parked in the enemy Champ Car paddock.

Patrick and the Rahal-Letterman team is in Milwaukee running the rival IRL event this weekend.

And what Rahal was saying in an exclusive interview with the Sun when he showed up on the property might make IRL people wonder about things as well.

With all the rumours which have been around this year of a possible Champ Car-IRL merger or the suggestions that all it would take is a couple of top teams like Rahal-Letterman, Roger Penske or Chip Ganassi to come over to Champ Car, Rahal said it's possible. You might just see that big Rahal-Letterman unit in the paddock around in the future, and not just visiting to watch his son race Formula Atlantic.

"You never know,'' he said.

"It's a great series. Owners like to race in great series. Many things depend on sponsors. They're putting on great events. It's great racing. Whatever will happen will happen.''

As for the merger ...

"I hope so,'' he said. "But we've only been talking about that for the last decade.

"Penske, Ganassi or ourselves are probably 50-50 odds,'' he said of making a move to Champ Car if a merger doesn't happen.

He certainly likes what he witnessed here yesterday.

Rahal said he'd heard about the crowds here last year but said seeing 59,538 for qualifying yesterday is believing.

"I think it's great. It's a great venue. It's very impressive. It's wonderful.''

As for Danica Patrick ...

"People we deal with haven't appreciated it but I haven't made an excuse for it. When there are date conflicts, I'm going to watch Graham. He's my son. He's No. 1,'' said Rahal, who missed the Molson Toronto Formula Atlantic race with his son while he was racing classic cars over in LeMans, France. It's the only one of his son's races he's missed.

"The next IRL race is in Michigan. I'll miss that to watch my son race in San Jose.''

Graham, 17, was upset at Patrick.

"That was wrong for her to say. Anybody who has an emotional attachment is going to be where that emotional attachment happens to be. Every father is going to follow his son.''

And in the case of this race, maybe Rahal's woman driver can forgive her boss for showing up to watch his son qualify third for today's Formula Atlantic Race yesterday. This one is special.

This one has history.

This one is Edmonton.

"My first professional race was here,'' said the Hall of Famer, who along with A.J. Foyt and Parnelli Jones are the only men ever to win the Indianapolis 500 as both a driver and an owner.

"I came to Edmonton in 1975 to race the same Formula Atlantic Series as my son. It was called the Players Series back then,'' he said of Edmonton International Speedway.

"I would have been happy to have been in the top 10 and ended up on the front row for that race,'' he remembers. "Then I had an electrical failure on the first lap.''

He came back to race the event again in 1976 and 1977, crashing one year and finishing "third or fourth'' the other.

Rahal said his son is certainly a lot further along in his rookie year than he was when he came here for that first professional race.

"In those days, you drove the truck and the trailer. It was just you. You didn't have any experience and the people around you didn't have any experience. The education and learning curves are a lot different.

"For me it's a thrill to see him doing so well and to see how much he wants it. I'm very proud of him and his team. He got thrown in the deep end this year and to me has been probably been the most consistent guy at the top of the sheets in the series.''

Rahal is involved in his races but not running the show.

"As a parent, they're keeping me at arm's length. That's easier said than done.

"I'm giving him the pit board. I think they want to keep me out of the pits. That's OK. It keeps me busy.''

Rahal said he can see his son racing Champ Car in the future, even if Rahal-Letterman stays in the IRL.

NismoZ
07-23-06, 04:29 PM
Also from Edmonton and from the same site are quotes from Alex Tagliani to support the speculation that '07 will be a breakout year for ChampCar. Tag says rumors have a LOT of Panoz chassis on order with many to be delivered before Christmas and "new teams coming from somewhere if you just look at the number of orders." I like those kinds of rumors. Rahal? A Dutch team? A second European effort? A couple of Atlantic teams moving up? FUN speculation.

TKGAngel
07-23-06, 06:23 PM
Sounds like The Danica doesn't like having to share Bobby.

Cam
07-23-06, 06:36 PM
Also from Edmonton and from the same site are quotes from Alex Tagliani to support the speculation that '07 will be a breakout year for ChampCar. Tag says rumors have a LOT of Panoz chassis on order with many to be delivered before Christmas and "new teams coming from somewhere if you just look at the number of orders." I like those kinds of rumors. Rahal? A Dutch team? A second European effort? A couple of Atlantic teams moving up? FUN speculation.

I just want to be assured that the head of an igloo dweller will assplode when the news arrives. ;)

cart7
07-23-06, 07:17 PM
RM just said on Speednews that the GP2 deal is falling through. The team Graham wanted to run with isn't going to be around next season. RM saw Rahal with N/H, is Booby bringing the Argent money to N/H so Graham can run next season?

RM thinks so.

nrc
07-23-06, 07:56 PM
I have a hard time imagining Rahal gutting his team to take sponsorship to NH. I suppose there are a couple of scenarios - he's got some kind of exclusive IRL deal, or he's just worried about putting the effort into the DP01 until the whole merger thing shakes out.

Perhaps a third NH car for Graham late this season? Perhaps some kind of engineering data exchange so Rahal doesn't have to invest too heavily in DP01 testing and NH can run Indy?

cart7
07-23-06, 07:57 PM
Speculation is Graham to N/H with Argent money and Rahal to run one car in IRL with Ethanol bucks.

TravelGal
07-23-06, 08:04 PM
Speculation is Graham to N/H with Argent money and Rahal to run one car in IRL with Ethanol bucks.

I'll buy that. Argent was on our side for quite a while. Maybe THEY are pushing the move back.

NismoZ
07-23-06, 08:12 PM
And Bruno winding up a 1 year contract. :( ...that's racing.

Dr. Corkski
07-23-06, 08:14 PM
RM just said on Speednews that the GP2 deal is falling through. The team Graham wanted to run with isn't going to be around next season. RM saw Rahal with N/H, is Booby bringing the Argent money to N/H so Graham can run next season?

RM thinks so.Translation: The N/H ride is easier/cheaper to buy into than the ART GP2 ride.

KLang
07-23-06, 08:15 PM
Google Argent's financial situation. I doubt they will be sponsoring anyone next year, no matter the series. I think Gehl would be more likely.

NismoZ
07-23-06, 09:10 PM
And complimenting the Tag quotes from AR1 is also news that order forms were distributed for the DP01 to all teams Sat. at Edmonton and the 1st two returned were from Bob Gelles. :thumbup: Also Moreno and Vasser are rumored be the "test" drivers after San Jose. Some of us here predicted that! :cool:

nrc
07-23-06, 11:20 PM
And complimenting the Tag quotes from AR1 is also news that order forms were distributed for the DP01 to all teams Sat. at Edmonton and the 1st two returned were from Bob Gelles. :thumbup:

That's great, but I hope he either stays in Atlantic or new teams show up to backfill. A strong feeder has got to be part of the plan.

Tifosi24
07-23-06, 11:43 PM
Google Argent's financial situation. I doubt they will be sponsoring anyone next year, no matter the series. I think Gehl would be more likely.

Gehl's finances aren't particularly awesome either. They abruptly shut down their farm production factory in West Bend, WI a couple months ago forcing 100 or so people out of work.

oddlycalm
07-24-06, 03:35 AM
Translation: The N/H ride is easier/cheaper to buy into than the ART GP2 ride. By quite a lot I imagine, and you can bet Rahal doesn't have a sponsor looking for a season of GP2 exposure in Europe.

The whole thing makes sense of why the princess has been making rude noises lately. Some people are pimping the story that she's off to a much reduced AGR EARL team when Micro and his weasel father go sports car racing on Honda's dime.

oc

Insomniac
07-24-06, 08:38 AM

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/29410/

Spicoli
07-24-06, 10:09 AM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/29410/

Blinky to Coyne? :rofl:

Hey, better than Rocketspurts.

Easy
07-24-06, 10:21 AM
Also Moreno and Vasser are rumored be the "test" drivers after San Jose.

Memo Moreno?

NismoZ
07-24-06, 03:09 PM
The Edmonton Sun again... quotes KK as saying "We'll come here next year with more cars. I say that without hesitation. I believe the new chassis we're going to next year ...will result in a number of new teams in the series. It's now getting very attractive." :thumbup: (now, isn't that more fun than reading about conversations with his "new friend"?)

NismoZ
07-24-06, 03:31 PM
My guess is Haas is ahead of everyone else (again) and may be looking to tap that 2 mil, should Rahal take the Atlantic Championship. I don't know the stipulations concerning where or how the cash may be used, but I always felt the winner would be allowed to take it to the team of his choice. Can't believe any team, including N/H would turn down 2 million bucks AND a young talent like Graham Rahal. (though didn't Forsythe recently say it would take 3 mil. to field a 3rd car?) King Carl is just planning ahead, that's all. I think Bobby would only accept a test from 3 teams anyway, why not the champs? Don't know who approached who but it sure pleases me to see a potential Atlantic champ planning for even a brief CC future. Daddy thinks there is still plenty of time for F-1 after 2-3 yrs. here! Maybe a CC title can do for him what the lost GP2 ride can't?

nrc
07-24-06, 03:31 PM
Good news. Let's just not go throwing any crazy numbers around. 30 car fields! :saywhat:

NismoZ
07-24-06, 03:42 PM
Oh, I keep forgetting to ask...Earlier we saw Bobby with his spiffy ChampCar Polo, now he arrives with an entire transporter! That first "message" was too subtle!? Probably a bargaining chip..."I bet $2 million, any sponsorship I can scare up, a big ass truck and raise (for) you 1 talented young race driver! ;)...Give us a test and it could all be yours." (Carl does nothing for free and his debt of gratitude to Bruno is up at the end of the season.)

Insomniac
07-24-06, 06:20 PM
Blinky to Coyne? :rofl:

Hey, better than Rocketspurts.

Maybe RuSport. da Matta hasn't exactly lit it up since returning without his weight advantage.

jonovision_man
07-24-06, 07:43 PM
Speculation is Graham to N/H

Good for CCWS.

Bad for Graham. He should exhaust his opportunities toward F1 before resorting to ChampCar. Nothing wrong with making a career in CCWS, but it's obviously not the top of the heap.

jono

Insomniac
07-24-06, 08:34 PM
Good for CCWS.

Bad for Graham. He should exhaust his opportunities toward F1 before resorting to ChampCar. Nothing wrong with making a career in CCWS, but it's obviously not the top of the heap.

jono

I don't think he would be resigning himself to CCWS. The best place is GP2, but if he can't really get a good ride thee, then a year in ChampCar in more powerful cars will be good experience.

SurfaceUnits
07-24-06, 10:04 PM
Mon, July 24, 2006
The more the merrier
Will additions include Rahal?

By TERRY JONES, EDMONTON SUN

More cars next year. Guaranteed.

But will two of them be Rahal-Letterman cars from the Indy Racing League?

Bobby Rahal shook up the auto racing world a tad with his comments in the Sun yesterday about the possibility of his team jumping from IRL to Champ Car.

"Bobby has seen, because of his son racing the support series, the quality of racing and the quality of venues such as we have here in Edmonton,'' said Champ Car owner Kevin Kalkhoven yesterday. "Obviously it's had an impression on him.''

Rahal started his professional racing career in Edmonton at a Players Series race in what is now the Formula Atlantic Series, in which his 17-year-old son Graham is a rookie. He had his Rahal-Letterman unit in the Champ Car paddock this weekend and suggested it could be here for more than just a visit in the future.

"You never know,'' he told the Sun. "It's a great series. Owners like to race in great series. Many things depend on sponsors. They're putting on great events. It's great racing.''

He also suggested Roger Penske, Chip Ganassi "or ourselves are probably 50-50 odds'' to switch series in the event.

One Champ Car team owner, Carl Haas of Newman-Haas racing, said he can't see all three.

But, Rahal ... there's a chance.

"I think so,'' he said of the owner, along with CBS Late Show host David Letterman, who have female star Danica Patrick driving one of his Indy Racing League cars.

"But Penske? Chip? I don't see Penske or Ganassi. Absolutely not.''

That said, Haas said he thinks there will be some movement from the IRL series which raced Milwaukee yesterday and which is viewed by some as being "on life-support'' outside of the crown jewel Indianapolis 500.

"I think there are people looking to do that. People are definitely interested, from what I'm told,'' said Haas, who met partner Paul Newman here when he used to race sports cars in the Edmonton International Speedway days.

"If we could bring this to a single series, it would be the ideal situation. There's not quite enough room for two. It would also bring more TV. It's hard for people to get sponsors. It's very hard.

"Kalkhoven is trying very hard. Some of the new venues like Edmonton are great. We have Las Vegas coming on next year.''

Newman, also here for the race, was not available for comment beyond raving once again about the crowds, track and atmosphere here.

There's the suggestion Newman-Haas has been talking about hiring Rahal's son Graham, 17, to join Sebastien Bourdais as a driver with their series-leading team.

"It was a conversation,'' said Haas of having talked to the Rahals on the topic.

"He's a good young driver and he's an American.''

Champ Car has but one U.S. driver, A.J. Allmendinger, who won the previous three races in the series and finished third yesterday.

Kalkhoven said one thing he can guarantee.

"We'll come here next year with more cars. I say that without hesitation.''

The first two Edmonton Grand Prix have featured fields of 18 cars each.

"I believe the new chassis we're going to next year, combined with the excellent new venues like Edmonton we have in our series, will result in a number of new teams in the series. It's now getting very attractive. I think we'll see a number of new teams in the series.''

The new chassis all the Champ Car teams will race next year will be on display this week for the San Jose race.

As for the much-rumoured merger between the two series, Kalkhoven says nothing is happening right now.

"It isn't at the moment,'' he said.

"Right now we're both involved with our races on consecutive weekends so it's taking all our attention.''

He said a merger for 2007 is now virtually impossible. Most suggestions were that it would likely happen in 2008 anyway. Movement of enough teams, however, could leave the IRL, which also is racing 18 cars at most events, with too few to make it a show.

"We're still talking,'' Kalkhoven said of he and Indy boss Tony George.

"That's the good news.''

Rahal-Letterman would be great news.

patski
07-25-06, 03:37 PM
Gehl's finances aren't particularly awesome either. They abruptly shut down their farm production factory in West Bend, WI a couple months ago forcing 100 or so people out of work.
GEHL is in excellent financial shape. The discontinance of the Farm Mach business had been under consideration for a long time and was no suprise.

trauma1
07-25-06, 03:39 PM
no way he's having 2 cars in earl and word is he's losing ethonol also, so no fanicia no buddy just JR in CC

NismoZ
07-25-06, 03:48 PM
That'd be :thumbup: in my opinion...hate the way he left, but with Graham I'd support the way he returns. Hope it all works out.

trauma1
07-25-06, 04:22 PM
you could tell from the princess commments from this last weekend she was gone, and pissed at bobby for not going to earl races, he's beeen to chummy with KK lately and his remarks about CC from this last weekend at edm tell ya he's coming back maybe with a couple of other old pals

jcollins28
07-26-06, 01:37 AM
GEHL is in excellent financial shape. The discontinance of the Farm Mach business had been under consideration for a long time and was no suprise.

Yes they sure are up something like, $4.9 million from the same period last year. Plus they are doing a pretty decent job of getting some of their equipment out west.

trauma1
07-26-06, 09:26 AM
latest word is pimpski stole ethonaol from bobby for hornish's side pods next year :rofl:

Spicoli
07-26-06, 09:38 AM
latest word is pimpski stole ethonaol from bobby for hornish's side pods next year :rofl:

Saaaah-WEET!

booby's toast. :rofl:

trauma1
07-26-06, 10:11 AM
from speed and Rm. again bobbby no alms engine from honda, loses ethonol to pimpski, fanicia to agr and tony bucks, bet he's pissed and good as gone from earl

Young Rahal, whose poise and pace more than bely his 17 years, has been nothing short of spectacular in Atlantics. The plan was to head for Europe in 2007 under dad's experienced eye but things have suddenly changed.

Bobby Rahal, Paul Newman, Carl Haas and Kevin Kalkhoven spent last weekend huddling at Edmonton and the wheels are turning to test Graham in a Newman/Haas car. For now, it could be nothing more than a test, but if all goes well, don't be surprised if this kid is in Champ Car next year with the most successful team in the paddock.
If the second generation of Rahal joins Allmendinger, it's a home run for Champ Car. (LAT Photo)

That's not to say Graham has lost any of his Formula One aspirations but the new logic may be that if he shines as a teenager in a Champ Car, then F1 might be a lot more receptive.

And, if the second generation of Rahal joins Allmendinger, it's a home run for Champ Car.

Ironically, Patrick's move to AGR is directly related to the Rahal situation. She admitted in a phone call on Tuesday that the uncertainty about Bobby being around in '07, coupled with team manager Scott Roembke's health, were two big reasons she and father, T.J., began testing the waters elsewhere.

KLang
07-26-06, 10:19 AM
fanicia to agr and tony bucks

We will likely never know for sure but my bet is that AGR is still 100% funded by Honda.

trauma1
07-26-06, 10:56 AM
We will likely never know for sure but my bet is that AGR is still 100% funded by Honda.
i agree on that one

ferrarigod
07-26-06, 02:02 PM
Maybe RuSport. da Matta hasn't exactly lit it up since returning without his weight advantage.

Bruno isn't exactly setting the world on fire either. CdM is 1 point behind Bruno in the championship even though CdM was with Coyne and struggling at RuSport.

I just don't understand what honda gains by helping AGR. Everyone is using their engine, and they will win. Penske is the person with the name, but now I guess micro and danicle are the drivers people know of. 2 non-winners in a field of wannabe's.

Whatever.

Insomniac
07-26-06, 03:19 PM
Bruno isn't exactly setting the world on fire either. CdM is 1 point behind Bruno in the championship even though CdM was with Coyne and struggling at RuSport.

Bruno was also punted by Mario twice (directly once, and indirectly once).

Insomniac
07-26-06, 03:20 PM

Listening to Mikey during the press conference I disagree. He spent a lot of time talking about sponsorship. Either Danica comes with a check or she opens up doors to money.

ferrarigod
07-26-06, 03:27 PM
Bruno was also punted by Mario twice (directly once, and indirectly once).

Bruno has much time to reorganize himself since his mindy fiasco, i just don't see him coming back. CdM may not come back either, but his form this weekend seemed to indicate that he is trying.(first corner incident notwithstanding)

Spicoli
07-26-06, 03:45 PM
I just don't understand what honda gains by helping AGR.

I do. they own the team. :laugh:

trauma1
07-26-06, 03:47 PM
and pay tony the nose salary, plus dario and herta all are under honda contracts

ferrarigod
07-26-06, 03:53 PM
I do. they own the team. :laugh:

they own the series from most perspectives :D

Insomniac
07-27-06, 08:21 AM
Bruno has much time to reorganize himself since his mindy fiasco, i just don't see him coming back. CdM may not come back either, but his form this weekend seemed to indicate that he is trying.(first corner incident notwithstanding)

Speaking of Edmonton, how did Bruno get turned around? Was he hit or did he do that by himself?