PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton

KLang
07-21-06, 12:19 PM
18 cars again. Pastorelli is back.

G.
07-21-06, 01:01 PM
18 cars again. Pastorelli is back.He sure is. Eight mins for crashing.

Finally, almost everyone has run some laps.

Insomniac
07-21-06, 03:49 PM
AJ is at the top again. I wonder when/if I'll get bored with his domination.

racer2c
07-21-06, 04:17 PM
AJ is at the top again. I wonder when/if I'll get bored with his domination.

Man, he must have really shaken SB's confidence.

grungex
07-21-06, 04:28 PM
As much as I hope you're right, it's only practice...

TKGAngel
07-21-06, 04:30 PM
Man, he must have really shaken SB's confidence.

Or SB's confidence was shaken by wearing PT as a hat?

Good job by Power in P5.

cameraman
07-21-06, 04:30 PM
Wilson was consistently faster than AJ when they were on the same team. Makes you wonder how fast Wilson would be in a NH or FCR ride.

KLang
07-21-06, 04:34 PM
Legge looking a little better this week. At least in practice.

KLang
07-21-06, 04:40 PM
He is still human

11 min RED FLAG A.J. Allmendinger has crashed at Turn 1. The defending Edmonton pole-winner is out and OK, but his session is over with substantial rear end damage. '

grungex
07-21-06, 04:41 PM
Where did he crash last year?

KLang
07-21-06, 05:07 PM
SB on provisional pole.

This will put some pressure on AJ. It will be interesting to see how he comes back tomorrow.

nrc
07-21-06, 05:10 PM
Good to see shorty in the mix. Legge P10. Not bad.

Dr. Corkski
07-21-06, 05:18 PM
Where did he crash last year?Turn 9.

Opposite Lock
07-21-06, 06:09 PM
Or SB's confidence was shaken by wearing PT as a hat?

:laugh:

On another note, hope AJ and Mike Cannon and the team can get it back together for Q2.

KLang
07-22-06, 08:39 AM
This will put some pressure on AJ. It will be interesting to see how he comes back tomorrow.

"It just snapped loose," explained Allmendinger. "Driver error."

When a dour Allmendinger returned to the Forsythe pit after the crash, he was given a dressing down by vice president of racing operations Neil Micklewright. But not the sort you might expect.

"A.J. came back with that 'RuSPORT look,'" said Micklewright, adopting a very glum expression. "I said, 'What the hell's wrong with you? You break it, we'll fix it and you'll put it on the pole tomorrow."

link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/29249/)

RuSPORT look :rofl:

Insomniac
07-22-06, 09:23 AM
link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/29249/)

RuSPORT look :rofl:

FCR has plenty of experience in that regard. You can never claim PT doesn't drive hard (and crash hard).

oddlycalm
07-22-06, 10:19 AM
Wilson was consistently faster than AJ when they were on the same team. Makes you wonder how fast Wilson would be in a NH or FCR ride. Not wondering here. After what we saw from Servia in the NH car last season and from AJ this season I think it's clear.

What it really has me thinking about is what it will be like next year with the DP01 and everybody on page 1 of the setup book. I expect the best teams to do well, but the driver should make more difference.

oc

devilmaster
07-22-06, 10:41 AM
What it really has me thinking about is what it will be like next year with the DP01 and everybody on page 1 of the setup book. I expect the best teams to do well, but the driver should make more difference.

oc

I want to agree, but I really can't. Regardless of the fact that everyone will be running a new car, I believe the truth is that good teams will always figure the car out better than average or bad teams.

I suspect everyone will get alot of testing with the new car before the season, but to be fair, I'll give all of them the first 3 races where the standings may be jumbled(if the first 3 races are truly going to be back 2 back 2 back) but after that, I suspect you'll see the same people on top, and the others where they should be.

Accipiter
07-22-06, 11:25 AM
"A.J. came back with that 'RuSPORT look,'" said Micklewright, adopting a very glum expression. "I said, 'What the hell's wrong with you? You break it, we'll fix it and you'll put it on the pole tomorrow."

Funniest quote of the year! :rofl:

It also underscores again A.J. being in a good place now.

KLang
07-22-06, 11:44 AM
Funniest quote of the year! :rofl:

It also underscores again A.J. being in a good place now.

Indeed, wasn't it stated that AJ had some sort of psycologist helping him out when he was at RuSport? Maybe he just needed someone like Micklewright to smack him upside the head and tell him to 'get over it' and move on. I think it will be telling today if he can shake it off.

Insomniac
07-22-06, 12:12 PM
Indeed, wasn't it stated that AJ had some sort of psycologist helping him out when he was at RuSport? Maybe he just needed someone like Micklewright to smack him upside the head and tell him to 'get over it' and move on. I think it will be telling today if he can shake it off.

First Phillipe, and now AJ had one? What in the world. Are these gyys in the right sport when they need a psychologist to help them feel better and confident all the time?

Insomniac
07-22-06, 12:13 PM
I want to agree, but I really can't. Regardless of the fact that everyone will be running a new car, I believe the truth is that good teams will always figure the car out better than average or bad teams.

I suspect everyone will get alot of testing with the new car before the season, but to be fair, I'll give all of them the first 3 races where the standings may be jumbled(if the first 3 races are truly going to be back 2 back 2 back) but after that, I suspect you'll see the same people on top, and the others where they should be.

When I read this, my first thought (although completely unrelated to this thread) was, hey ChampCar should schedule testing days on Indy qualifying and race weekends! Let the teams who would rather be there test their new cars.

pchall
07-22-06, 12:56 PM
Practice 3

PKV finds some speed!

Both Legge and Servia under 1:01 right out of the box.

Now Servia into the :59s! :eek:

Legge in the :59s and faster than Servia. :eek: :eek:

Insomniac
07-22-06, 01:40 PM
PT on top. Anyone know why he got a penalty?

Lizzerd
07-22-06, 05:38 PM
PT on top. Anyone know why he got a penalty?

Caused a red at the beginning of the session. I had his audio on with Race Director. They didn't know exactly what it was, so they replaced all the electronics.

TKGAngel
07-22-06, 05:46 PM

I thought it was just spec that AJ had a psychologist, especially after last years Edmonton meltdown?

Top 5 on the grid tomorrow...
1. Bourdais - 58.560
2. Tracy - 58.622
3. Wilson - 58.665
4. Allmendinger - 58.893
5. Servia - 59.324

KLang
07-22-06, 07:50 PM
I thought it was just spec that AJ had a psychologist, especially after last years Edmonton meltdown?

I assume you mean speculation? I'm pretty sure I read it in one of the stories after his firing by RuSport. Perhaps that column PT writes for that magazine/website?

Edit:

This is what I was thinking of:

We don't have driver coaches, we don't have psychology guys to keep the drivers' heads screwed on straight, our team doesn't cuddle drivers when they're pissed off. Drivers get on with the job - that's what we're there to do.

Link (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=154600&postcount=75)

PT seems to be implying that RuSport had a 'psychology guy'.

EDwardo
07-22-06, 08:26 PM
PT generally has his mom in the pits. He doesn't need a coach.

KLang
07-23-06, 03:23 PM
Congrats to Wilson and RuSport :thumbup:

Um, SB, the issue with Tag was your fault. :shakehead

Insomniac
07-23-06, 03:36 PM
Congrats to Wilson and RuSport :thumbup:

Um, SB, the issue with Tag was your fault. :shakehead

Not only that, but somehow it cost him the win? :confused:

And PT leading his first laps all season, wow.

KLang
07-23-06, 03:41 PM

I literally yelled something unmentionable at the TV. :) I suppose it's a requirement for being a professional driver. Most do it at one time or another. SB just has the act down real good.

Insomniac
07-23-06, 04:30 PM
I literally yelled something unmentionable at the TV. :) I suppose it's a requirement for being a professional driver. Most do it at one time or another. SB just has the act down real good.

He definitely had himself convinced.

cameraman
07-23-06, 04:56 PM

Alex Tagliani #15 Aussie Vineyards Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone - "It was a tough race. I needed one more corner to let Bourdais by because it's the tightest corner of the race track and if he would have waited one more corner I would have let him by at turn eight, but he decided to go in there and there is no room for two cars and boned me completely. We got out and I broke the front wing, destroyed the little race that we had. We also had bent tolling on the car and really that was it."

Could somebody explain "We also had bent tolling on the car and really that was it."

devilmaster
07-23-06, 04:57 PM
Could somebody explain "We also had bent tolling on the car and really that was it."

I'm still confused about DD's caster explanation. ;)

Rob
07-23-06, 05:11 PM
My guess is a poorly transcribed version of "bent toe link."

RHR_Fan
07-23-06, 05:29 PM
What is this whole deal about NP(??) and possibly AJA having a psychologist or psychiatrist talking to them? Did I miss something during the TO broadcast?

~Nicole

TKGAngel
07-23-06, 06:11 PM
I'm still confused about DD's caster explanation. ;)

Did anyone else notice that DD seemed to ramble more than usual? He would be in the middle of telling a story and then suddenly get distracted by a shiny object, and never really finish the original story.

I also did not know that Van Halen drives for Coyne.

FCYTravis
07-24-06, 04:47 AM
Nelson 4 cash :)

Insomniac
07-24-06, 08:35 AM
What is this whole deal about NP(??) and possibly AJA having a psychologist or psychiatrist talking to them? Did I miss something during the TO broadcast?

~Nicole

During Toronto, they said Nelson had one. Just speculation that AJ/RuSport had one.

KLang
07-24-06, 09:01 AM
During Toronto, they said Nelson had one. Just speculation that AJ/RuSport had one.

I thought Nelson's was more of a spiritual advisor or something like that.

Insomniac
07-24-06, 12:45 PM
I thought Nelson's was more of a spiritual advisor or something like that.

I could be wrong, going off memory. but I thought they said psychologist and then the thing about the listening to music before the race.

theunions
07-24-06, 12:53 PM
I also did not know that Van Halen drives for Coyne.

I thought he was trying to make a funny, as he's made that reference in at least one previous telecast, but then he said it three times in a row...

Sean O'Gorman
07-24-06, 05:40 PM
During Toronto, they said Nelson had one.

No surprise, most women do.

RHR_Fan
07-24-06, 05:53 PM
No surprise, most women do.

Since that's coming from you Sean, I'm not as offended. ;)

Insomniac
07-24-06, 06:14 PM
I thought he was trying to make a funny, as he's made that reference in at least one previous telecast, but then he said it three times in a row...

Then he finally corrected himself (or a PA told him).

KLang
07-25-06, 10:26 AM
I could be wrong, going off memory. but I thought they said psychologist and then the thing about the listening to music before the race.

Looks like the term is mentalist :confused:

There is a thread at crapwagon discussing it here. (http://www.champcarfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37021)

datachicane
07-25-06, 12:04 PM

A mentalist! Holy Crap!

http://www.thetick.ws/images/mrmental.jpg

:D

TKGAngel
07-25-06, 12:22 PM
Like the Amazing Kreskin? :confused:

Insomniac
07-26-06, 10:31 AM

There is a thread at crapwagon discussing it here. (http://www.champcarfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37021)

Heh. I still wonder, are these guys in the right profession when they need a pep talk to do better or get over something that happens often?