PDA

View Full Version : GP2 vs CCWS?

Andrew Longman
07-20-06, 09:05 AM
Reading about Stoddard and some of the drivers mentioned, got me wondering about, from a business and sporting perspective, how does GP2 compare to CCWS.

Assume its 2-4 years down the road and CCWS has a cost managed car formula, a schedule of well attended events, perhaps 1/3-1/2 of the races on network TV, and maybe even the I500 on the schedule.

If I am a new investor, wouldn't I see a much better return on my investment in CC rather than running around as a F1 support race?

I must confess to not following GP2 too closely (or F3000 before that) so I don't know much of its workings or how popular it is. I also don't understand their economics. Few GP2 cars seem to be sponsored for example.

Insomniac
07-20-06, 09:25 AM
My guess is, where do you want exposure? If you want it mostly in NA, then CCWS. If you want in mostly in Europe, then GP2.

Dr. Corkski
07-20-06, 01:26 PM
All you need to know about GP2 is that Antoine Bessette turned down a test with the best GP2 team to wait for an Atlantics ride. :gomer:

GP2 like most support series rely on drivers bringing money/sponsors.

jonovision_man
07-20-06, 03:26 PM
All you need to know about GP2 is that Antoine Bessette turned down a test with the best GP2 team to wait for an Atlantics ride. :gomer:.

Wow, I thought JPM was making a bad career move... there must be more to the story than that?? Cost maybe?

Yes. Like most support series, the stands are nearly vacant for the GP2 races, not sure where the ROI would come from. It's not a draw for anyone except us racing geek types.

jono

Easy
07-20-06, 05:44 PM

Must Resist.