PDA

View Full Version : Schedule shaping up

KLang
07-20-06, 06:58 AM
Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4058574.html)

Houston being moved to April :thumbup:

April 8 Las Vegas
April 15 Long Beach
April 22 Houston

Lanigan said that the Champ Car schedule, which has not been released, will have not have events after the first weekend in May next year. Theoretically, that will allow Champ Car drivers to have the opportunity to practice and qualify for the Indianapolis 500 throughout the rest of May.

"Champ Car used to do an awful job of scheduling early in the season," said Kosich. "There would be the opener, and then you'd wait a month before the next race. There was no national attention.

"With this schedule, you have races on consecutive weeks so you really have some momentum build up coming into our race."

Good momentum in April. Then we go away for the whole month of May? :saywhat: Boooooo :thumdown:

Insomniac
07-20-06, 07:45 AM
Good momentum in April. Then we go away for the whole month of May? :saywhat: Boooooo :thumdown:

I thought the owners said they didn't want that gap?

NismoZ
07-20-06, 08:44 AM
Only one "owner" that counts. It'll only happen once.

KLang
07-20-06, 09:01 AM
I thought the owners said they didn't want that gap?

Yep, someone recently reported the owners voted it down. IIRC it was unanimous too. The only thing that makes sense is the possiblity of someone from the earl crossing over but needing to do the 500. Rahal? After his stunt a couple years ago I don't know why KK would trust the dirtbag.

Spicoli
07-20-06, 10:00 AM
Excellent April. good work.

As far as May goes, if these guys are buying DP01's, why the F would they go EARLing?

I suppose that maybe its to accommodate the (present) EARL teams who May have Homoco fundage for Indy 500?

...meaning they won;t be running the rest of the Crappenwaggen series? :laugh:

Wheel-Nut
07-20-06, 10:59 AM
April 22 Houston

Sunday, I guess they aren't doing a night race.

KLang
07-20-06, 11:08 AM
Sunday, I guess they aren't doing a night race.

Michael Lanigan, the Grand Prix promoter, confirmed Wednesday afternoon that the American Le Mans Series will be Saturday night (April 21) and the Champ Car World Series will be Sunday afternoon (April 22.)

Perhaps they want network TV?

Insomniac
07-20-06, 11:17 AM

As far as May goes, if these guys are buying DP01's, why the F would they go EARLing?

I suppose that maybe its to accommodate the (present) EARL teams who May have Homoco fundage for Indy 500?

...meaning they won;t be running the rest of the Crappenwaggen series? :laugh:

That works for me. :)

G.
07-20-06, 12:01 PM

...meaning they won;t be running the rest of the Crappenwaggen series? :laugh:which will bring us 25/8 part II. :shakehead Hey, it worked once, right?

FTG

cameraman
07-20-06, 01:02 PM
Because somebody will pay them to go and it gets their sponsors in front of a 5 share of 1 day a year race fans.

TravelGal
07-20-06, 01:46 PM
Three races in a row. Cool from the fan/momentum standpoint.

It also shows a HUGE shift in the confidence of the management in the series. By that I mean, we used to have Long Beach as a huge event but almost a pre-season event because drivers/sponsors were not completely finalized. Several of the smaller teams either didn't appear or changed drivers after one race. Now they are going to have to have their **** together to get racing from the FIRST race.

Good news because it is so far-reaching.

oddlycalm
07-20-06, 02:07 PM
It'll only happen once. Agreed, it will only happen once with the current ownership. The frustrating thing is that he's gotten that concession once with every new management regime.

TG always make sure that unification talks go far enough before "complications" stall them that there's a good faith gesture by Champ Car to leave May open. He's pulled this same ploy out of his tailpipe at least three times by my count. Twice with CART under Rahal then Pook and now again with CCWS. Considering how far in advance races have to be scheduled TG has effectively negotiated a clear May for the better part of a decade without having to give up anything. In the end the favor is always repaid with avarice and disdain. :thumdown: Given the history, I'm surprised anyone would still negotiate in good faith with TG.

IMO best way to kick TG in the testicles is by putting on a very strong event the weekend before Mindy. Going head to head on Memorial Day weekend is problematic, but a good solid event the weekend before would suck some air out of the month of May at the IMS, particularly since there isn't much air left outside of race weekend. Making the journalists, sponsors, network TV schedulers choose between the 497 and a CCWS event is a loser, but making them chose between a strong CCWS race and a phony used-to-mean-something day would be easy pickings.

oc

Opposite Lock
07-20-06, 02:22 PM
IMO best way to kick TG in the testicles is by putting on a very strong event the weekend before Mindy.

That's kinda what I'm thinking. With the "May open" strategy, KK is lulling FTG into a false sense of calm, making it appear that there might be some CCWS crossover for Mindy. But then watch out for a super-surprise last-minute announcement of an additional race in the CCWS schedule in mid-May... gomers just won't understand what Ansan means. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
07-20-06, 02:30 PM
Because somebody will pay them to go and it gets their sponsors in front of a 5 share of 1 day a year race fans.

Exactly. And they will pay someone, anyone to do the same. There are plenty of old IRL sleds around to buy or lease. And TG even got Honda to offer a deal on Indy only engines. So it is likely that the I500 will come with or without CC.

But with the I500 as a possibility for both series, sponsors and teams can compare both series evenly on their merits. I think I know which side wins out.

There is a big difference between now and years prior. The whole sport is in bad shape and the more recognized and well know names are in the IRL. But there is less and less all the time that will keep them there. And where are the new teams to replace them going to come from? IPS? Silver Crown? NASCAR :laugh:

CCWS will likely draw teams from Atlantics, the IRL, and guys like Stoddard.

The best thing about this is it looks like a kind gesture to TG that he can say nothing bad about, but it is a poison gift.

Fio1
07-20-06, 03:28 PM
I understand making Vegas and Long Beach a week apart for logistics, but there is a posibility that people that would go to both races if they were 6 months apart would only go to one or the other. I know I would probably won't go to both, but if the Vegas race was in November I would.

TravelGal
07-20-06, 07:46 PM
I understand making Vegas and Long Beach a week apart for logistics, but there is a posibility that people that would go to both races if they were 6 months apart would only go to one or the other. I know I would probably won't go to both, but if the Vegas race was in November I would.

Exactly. I hate to say it but I was a bit bummed. I also wanted to go to Houston!

Racing Truth
07-20-06, 08:09 PM
That's kinda what I'm thinking. With the "May open" strategy, KK is lulling FTG into a false sense of calm, making it appear that there might be some CCWS crossover for Mindy. But then watch out for a super-surprise last-minute announcement of an additional race in the CCWS schedule in mid-May... gomers just won't understand what Ansan means. :gomer:

:rolleyes: Fool. Now is the time to bring out the Super-Secret weapon: MALTA!!!! :gomer: ;)

Lux Interior
07-20-06, 08:41 PM
Malta, along with a race in the Netherlands with Meurmans as sponsor with two Paul Stoddart cars and Heylen and Doornbos driving would be a nice combo. Who needs Indy? At this point, Indy does not seem to fit with the direction champcar is going.

devilmaster
07-20-06, 09:27 PM
I went down to Sammy's bar
Hey the last boat's a-leavin
By the shores of Pieta
Call away the daighsoe

RusH
07-20-06, 09:36 PM
The bright side?

Hey, a sponsor or two might sign with a CCWS team knowing they will be at Indy.
Just a thought.