PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy math? You decide...

Lizzerd
04-11-03, 03:01 AM
Link (http://)

The 67 entries -- with 34 main and 33 backup cars -- for the 87th Indy 500 were postmarked before the April 2 deadline, race officials said.
Followed by...

Last year's list included 89 cars, with the number of car-driver combinations ranging from about 37 to 45 over the last five years, Green said.
And then...

The number of entries at the Indy Racing League event has been boosted in the last couple years as teams in the rival CART series raced at Indy or switched to the IRL.
The article also says there are 28 drivers entered for the 34 main entries. Am I missing sonething here? How can a list of 89 to 67 entries and drivers from 37 - 45 to 28 be considered a boost? Somebody help me figure this out, please...

RaceChic
04-11-03, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
Link (http://)

Followed by...

And then...

The article also says there are 28 drivers entered for the 34 main entries. Am I missing sonething here? How can a list of 89 to 67 entries and drivers from 37 - 45 to 28 be considered a boost? Somebody help me figure this out, please...

It's EARL math, Lizzerd.......Just step back away from the Kool-Aid..........Then you'll be fine.......:eek: :eek: :eek:

SteveH
04-11-03, 09:39 AM
Considering Formula Tantrum was started in part to protect the Indy 500, I would have to say the hapless irl has failed in that regards. While many will say CART never raced there, the years that CART awarded championship points will probably be looked at as a modern day zenith that will never be eclipsed. The question now is if the Indy 500 can survive the irl? All indicators (crowd, car count, TV ratings) suggest no.

sundaydriver
04-11-03, 09:58 AM
I'm hoping that the IRL fans will realize that their series has been taken over by x-CART teams and don't show up for the race or watch on TV. Also, I'm hoping that ALL CART fans boycott the Indy 498 this year. Hopefully the TV ratings will continue to slide downward and ABC will not renew it's contract with Formula Tantrum. Not only would like to see the Indy 498 brought to it's knees, I want to see Honda and Toyota leave the series taking their teams with them.

:thumbup:

pchall
04-11-03, 12:20 PM
On one level I really enjoy this. TG deserves this and should surrender to NASCAR.

On the otherhand, in just more than a decade he has destroyed the Indianapolis 500 and severed it's connection to the brass era Grand Prix, spoiling a once great tradition.

JLMannin
04-11-03, 12:50 PM
Lizzerd,

"Boosted" is an ambiguous term. One interpretation of boosted is that the number of cars/entries has increased from year to year. I assume this is your interpretation. It certainly is my interpretation.

Another interpretation is that the CART one-offs boosted the irl500 entries over what they would have been without the CART one-offs. I contend that this is an accurate description of what has happenned. I prefer the word "supplemented" over "boosted", as it is more accurate.

The CART teams running the last two years may have just delayed what was inevetible.