PDA

View Full Version : Need help from stereo and/or tech savy...

Gangrel
07-19-06, 02:19 PM
Wife's b-day is coming up. She is a fitness instructor. She has piles and piles of exercise music on cassette tape, much of it dating back years, some over a decade. She has changed her music buying habits now to buying only CDs. Now, she is looking for a way to convert her old cassette tapes to CD. I am trying to figure out now if it would be better to buy a CD recorder for our stereo system, or if there is some type of cassette tape component that could be run through our PC to dub the music via our CD-RW drive. Anyone know the best way to go here without spending the life savings on it?

Spicoli
07-19-06, 02:21 PM
solution:

p2p sharing. i'm sure all that music is free on the 'tardweb now.

download at will! my pick: www.limewire.com YMMV or axe Cam. :gomer:

Ankf00
07-19-06, 02:36 PM
limewire, soulseek, bit torrent if you're looking for whole albums

all good options :)

racer2c
07-19-06, 02:45 PM
Spicoli's recommendation is the easiest. Just be careful of all the spyware and trojans you get with the teenie bopper music p2p's.

If you have music on cassettes that you can't find an mp3 for and your wife MUST have it, you could pop for an Audigy 2 by Creative. Then just plug your old cassette deck in via rca cables and rip away. They aren't that expensive. There are other patch bays out there that are much more caple and quit for home PC recording but an Audigy sounds like it would fill your needs (you'd need a Sound Blaster card for the patch bay to plug into.)

If you wanted to go really cheap, look on ebay for the first Audigy. Probably pick one up for $10.

the ATI - All-In-Wonder sound card will meet your dubbing needs also and you won't need a patch bay, just the RCA adapter cable which it comes with.

http://images.soundblaster.com/ISS/images/products/headers/prod14860_hdr_1_6_2.jpg

devilmaster
07-19-06, 02:59 PM
the ATI - All-In-Wonder sound card will meet your dubbing needs also and you won't need a patch bay, just the RCA adapter cable which it comes with.

AIW - The greatest thing since sliced microchips...... ;)

I don't think I could ever go back to a 'regular' video card.

cameraman
07-19-06, 03:21 PM
For about $40 a Griffin iMic will connect your tape deck or your turntable to a usb port on your computer. Works on both Macs & XP. It is a great way to rip lp's and 78's.

Gangrel
07-19-06, 04:57 PM
solution:

p2p sharing. i'm sure all that music is free on the 'tardweb now.

download at will! my pick: www.limewire.com YMMV or axe Cam. :gomer:

I hear ya', but won't work for our purposes. Fitness industry is kind of picky on standards and ethics, and she can dub copies music that she has already purchased for her own use, but downloading it from a free site would probably constitute an ethics violation, even if she already owns it on cassette.

I know rules are made to be broken, but she won't want to risk ACE pulling her certs.

Spicoli
07-19-06, 09:13 PM
I hear ya', but won't work for our purposes. Fitness industry is kind of picky on standards and ethics, and she can dub copies music that she has already purchased for her own use, but downloading it from a free site would probably constitute an ethics violation, even if she already owns it on cassette.

I know rules are made to be broken, but she won't want to risk ACE pulling her certs.

Oh for crying out loud.

Ethics? When the F did ethics play a role on the innerwebs? This is funnier than a nun in a jockstrap. WTF do YOU think is gonna happen? the Fitness Credidation Police gonna come buss down your door and take away the Richard Simmons posters?

Is your name Denith?

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/taunt002.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

cameraman
07-20-06, 01:58 PM
Spic, my wife has a case in her courtroom that is just that. Record company suing a local gym for using bootlegged music in the dance/spinning class.

Spicoli
07-20-06, 03:30 PM
Spic, my wife has a case in her courtroom that is just that. Record company suing a local gym for using bootlegged music in the dance/spinning class.

your wife's a Judge too?

cameraman
07-20-06, 03:32 PM
Worse, staff attorney. She actually has to read everything.

Spicoli
07-20-06, 03:35 PM
Worse, staff attorney. She actually has to read everything.

:laugh:

What, U-tards got no criminals so they poach the aerobics tifosi? :rofl:

cameraman
07-20-06, 03:52 PM
Civil case, federal court cuz the record ****s are out of state.

it's all about the money....

TravelGal
07-20-06, 07:53 PM

I think this is a different issue. Bootlegged music in commercial use is definitely frowned upon by ASCAP/BMI.

But if an owner of a lawful personal use copy wishes to convert that copy from one format to another, what is the difference between getting the second copy from the web or making it yourself?

Hmmmm.

Spicoli
07-21-06, 07:39 AM
I think this is a different issue. Bootlegged music in commercial use is definitely frowned upon by ASCAP/BMI.

But if an owner of a lawful personal use copy wishes to convert that copy from one format to another, what is the difference between getting the second copy from the web or making it yourself?

Hmmmm.

And besides, aren;'t most of those musicians dead anyway? What do they care? :gomer:

cameraman
07-21-06, 12:19 PM
Dead people's money. Isn't that half your wife's calendar?

Gangrel
07-21-06, 12:35 PM

Hmmmm.

If they really wanted to be picky, they could track the source and file a case based on that. The safest approach is to burn copies of what she has in her posession. Believe me, you don't want to be running a fitness class on any kind of bootlegged music when a representative from the music industry "joins" your class. Fitness Instructor Liability Insurance doesn't exactly cover that one. They sue the instructor and the facility. And it does in fact happen more often than once in a while.

ACE has very specific standards about using music that were only obtained through the proper channels. Even if you already own it on another form of media, I doubt getting a bootleg off the interweb would be covered by that one.

Spicoli
07-21-06, 01:02 PM
Dead people's money. Isn't that half your wife's calendar?

nope? (honestly don't understand the remark)

A,B,C Felonies & Murder.

cameraman
07-21-06, 01:07 PM
I thought she got all the probate civil suits too. Guess not. Lucky for her.

RacinM3
07-21-06, 01:26 PM
Ethics? When the F did ethics play a role on the innerwebs? This is funnier than a nun in a jockstrap. WTF do YOU think is gonna happen? the Fitness Credidation Police gonna come buss down your door and take away the Richard Simmons posters?

Ok, I got no opinion either way, but that was funnier than s***. :laugh:

Spicoli
07-21-06, 03:32 PM
I thought she got all the probate civil suits too. Guess not. Lucky for her.

nope = 1/2 felonies/murders. 1/2 civil/family.

probate, drugs, doemtic violence, protective orders, etc have their own separate court rooms.