PDA

View Full Version : Rally event at the X Games. McRae and Grist are back!

Willam
07-19-06, 12:08 PM
Has anyone heard of this? There's a Rally America sanctioned event happening at the X Games this august. The best thing about this is that Colin McRae and Nicky Grist are pairing up once again to do this. :thumbup:

The car isn't looking that bad either, nice paint job.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/rally/28977/

FailureByDesign
07-19-06, 01:01 PM
I wish I was going :cry:

RacinM3
07-19-06, 01:58 PM
Hmmm, I may have to check out the Home Depot Center portion of this event.....sounds pretty cool.

I think McRae and Grist are going to kick ass and take names.

NismoZ
07-19-06, 10:07 PM
Thank Travis.

FailureByDesign
07-19-06, 10:11 PM
Thank Travis.

Pastrana I assume :D You think he's good enough to advance to the WRC someday?

NismoZ
07-20-06, 01:22 PM
Perhaps. I just think his interest, desire and past connection with X-Games organizers was instramental in bringing this event forward. Don't know about you but I can see room for a US version of the WRC on smaller closed courses in the moto-X/Supercross/Supermoto style...for cars, not trucks.

Tifosi24
07-20-06, 02:58 PM
Perhaps. I just think his interest, desire and past connection with X-Games organizers was instramental in bringing this event forward. Don't know about you but I can see room for a US version of the WRC on smaller closed courses in the moto-X/Supercross/Supermoto style...for cars, not trucks.

Stay as far away from any North American rally forum with those comments, unless you have a triple asbestos lined flame suit. The North American rally scene is so fractured right now there is no room for a rallycross series. There are plenty of great rally roads in the nation, no need to run around in stadiums for a whole season.

NismoZ
07-20-06, 09:01 PM
:D There's a reason why they're fractured. They need to reinvent. (certainly not stadiums like that Paris thing, but smaller closed courses. Low "jumps", a little water, dirt and asphalt surfaces. Sure, plenty of great open roads. No money in that! Don't build it and they won't come. :)

nrc
07-20-06, 09:16 PM
My impression was that it would be a normal rally with a special indoor stage - pretty much as WRC does now.

Tifosi24
07-21-06, 01:33 PM
I don't spend as much time in the NA rally forums as I use to because I have given up trying to plan a rally, but the last time I was milling about there was some level of angst about the X-Games event because it is invitation only and they are leaving out a good deal of competitive teams. Having it be invitation also goes against NA rallying, because it is typically, even at the top levels, a more open system with free entry, except at some events out East where there are car limits because of the roads. Creating tons of Super-Specials is going to do nothing for rallying in North America, because it is like Champ Car going to all street circuits. It is not what the sport truly is and it is typically, dreadfully boring. For anyone who has had the joy of attending a rally, a superspecial stage is terrible in comparison to an actual stage. It is nice to have one SuperSpecial an event to bring out the casual people, but having more of them turns the sport into rallycross.

And yes, there are a tons of reasons why the sport is fractured, but like open-wheel there are too many foggies with huge egos to figure out what to do with the sport. In my opinion, rallying is way more exciting to watch in person than circuit racing.

Dr. Corkski
07-24-06, 12:39 AM
It's going to be a beach volleyball exhibition with a couple of rally cars and a bunch of people drinking Mountain Dew.