PDA

View Full Version : The 2007 Wish List thread.

devilmaster
07-18-06, 02:39 PM
07 is probably going to be billed as the rebirth of the series. New car, possibly new teams, etc.etc.

So I suppose this thread will either work out well or fall flat on its face.

What else should be instituted/changed for the series next year?

My first idea would be to up the prize money. Prize money is first and foremost an entrant support program. If you get more teams in the series because they can win more money, then you have a chance to snowball it into a healthier series.

Plus, if the car is truly cheaper to run, and you up the prize money, then teams can get sponsors for less.

Any other ideas?

datachicane
07-18-06, 02:48 PM
Not a major change, but...

Relatively minor tweak to broadcasts. In going through tapes of vintage broadcasts, I'm reminded how much tension and excitement (IMHO) was generated by the pre-race, in-car grid interviews. Rather than show campy graphics of posing drivers, I'd rather they walk the camera down the grid and show us the actual drivers ready to start...

Gnam
07-18-06, 03:04 PM
Television coverage of qualifying.

Ankf00
07-18-06, 03:07 PM
Copy everything ITV does for an F1 race. Everything. If copying the F1 style T&S displays would invite legal action, then do something similar to Aussie Ch. 10 coverage of MotoGP, I can always keep track of the race order, lap & split times, and fast laps of the entire field, most notably the top 10, with their display, and it doesn't dominate half the screen while giving you worthless information 80% of the time. "Just Say No" to the ESPN'ization of on-screen graphics...

Oh yea, and get more cars, you know, so you actually have a race as opposed to an exhibition. ;)

Spicoli
07-18-06, 03:16 PM
Copy everything ITV does for an F1 race. Everything. If copying the F1 style T&S displays would invite legal action, then do something similar to Aussie Ch. 10 coverage of MotoGP, I can always keep track of the race order, lap & split times, and fast laps of the entire field, most notably the top 10, with their display, and it doesn't dominate half the screen while giving you worthless information 80% of the time. "Just Say No" to the ESPN'ization of on-screen graphics...

Oh yea, and get more cars, you know, so you actually have a race as opposed to an exhibition. ;)

dit-to :thumbup:

pchall
07-18-06, 03:21 PM
That helicopter crash... ;)

2 of the following 3 fielding big cars next year: Sierra Sierra, Gelles, and Polestar.

Andrew Longman
07-18-06, 03:52 PM
That helicopter crash... ;)QUOTE] :rofl:

[QUOTE=pchall]2 of the following 3 fielding big cars next year: Sierra Sierra, Gelles, and Polestar. :thumbup:

I don't know if the answer is prize money as much as it is demonstrating increased sponsor value. In the long run the teams will be attracted and retained much more by sponsorship than prize money.

This year corporate participation in the events is way up. I'd like to see it even greater next year.

I want to see the aero package on the DP01 indeed produce better racing.

I want to see more variety of winners and contenders (this year even). I want RuSport winning its share. I want CTE and Oz to keep moving up. I want good things for Coyne and I want PG to get serious.

And I think it would be a real positive PR thing and stick in TGs eye if a top IRL team or two moves to CCWS, but I won't cry if it doesn't happen. They can have great success without it, but it would signal the beginning of end of merger talk because it would show that TG can have his race and little series, but he has to attract the sports top teams and drivers to have any meaningful control.

Sean O'Gorman
07-18-06, 05:46 PM
25 cars

Dr. Corkski
07-18-06, 05:50 PM
No more Daly. Please.

devilmaster
07-18-06, 05:53 PM
I don't know if the answer is prize money as much as it is demonstrating increased sponsor value. In the long run the teams will be attracted and retained much more by sponsorship than prize money.

This year corporate participation in the events is way up. I'd like to see it even greater next year.

I think we're agreeing Andrew - but we're looking at it from 2 different angles.

Sponsorship is like the chicken and the egg argument.

Say for example, it costs 4 million to run a car this year. Next year, you can save 500,000 on your car(just a guess). Also say that next year, with improved prize funds, you can make another 500,000. Now, its 1 million cheaper to run that car. (my numbers are only examples).

That savings may be the difference in a few race teams deciding to move to CC. If it can help attract more teams, and more corporate sponsorship for the cars, it shows the corporations that CC is on the rebound, and more sponsors means more B2B oppertunities. More sponsors also means that more corporate outings happen at the tracks, ergo more eyes in the seats for padding of the joyce julius numbers. More sponsors can mean more commercials on the tube, which could be transferred to better production value.

This could start a snowball effect. Is it the only answer? No. But IMO, its a start to bringing teams that would want to be here. Most teams are run by people who are self made. They're good businessmen. And if you can show them a way to enjoy their racing and not lose their shirt in the process, people will be interested. -*

*-This comment naturally discludes Vision Racing

gjc2
07-18-06, 06:09 PM
My wish is for the IRL to go away and the Indianapolis 500 to become a Champ Car race.

dando
07-18-06, 06:13 PM
What Pete said. :D

I'd like to see some standing starts tried.

-Kevin

TKGAngel
07-18-06, 06:55 PM
Less red and white cars, please.

Increase in attendance at all events.

Keep up with the merchandise - they've got a great start this year, keep it going.

High Sided
07-18-06, 07:26 PM
one series

30 cars

great tv coverage

pchall
07-18-06, 08:01 PM
No more Daly. Please.

Hold on to your hollyhocks waiting for that one. :p

Kiwifan
07-18-06, 08:20 PM
Live coverage back on New Zealand TV. Someone,,,,,, please? ;)

Rusty.

mueber
07-18-06, 08:32 PM
Elimination of first lap accidents.

The media finally says it, "Tony George is a self-aborbed moron."

Honda finally says it too.

Mangement replaces obsessing over Gomerville with a business plan for the future success of Champ Car.

Heather says yes.

Fitti Fan
07-18-06, 08:44 PM
Sponsors
More cars
No Daly--give us Jan

Rob
07-18-06, 10:21 PM
A surprise addition to the calendar. A road course out east would be terrific, like Road Atlanta or Mid-Ohio.

Televised qualifying.

25 cars.

Another American driver or three would be great.

Andrew Longman
07-18-06, 10:47 PM
A surprise addition to the calendar. A road course out east would be terrific, .

Philly on 4 July would be perfect. Gosh, how could I have missed that?

Andrew Longman
07-18-06, 10:49 PM
I think we're agreeing Andrew - but we're looking at it from 2 different angles.[/i]

Agreed. Prize money is not the endgame. Sponsor value is. If prize money helps get you there, fine.

dando
07-19-06, 09:19 AM
Philly on 4 July would be perfect. Gosh, how could I have missed that?
I was thinking mid to late-July....the wife can drop me off on the way to OCNJ and you can drop me off in OCNJ. ;)

-Kevin

racer2c
07-19-06, 10:08 AM
A title sponsor who cares.

Andrew Longman
07-19-06, 10:29 AM
I was thinking mid to late-July....the wife can drop me off on the way to OCNJ and you can drop me off in OCNJ. ;)

-Kevin

Deal. Cheesestakes are on me :)

Easy
07-19-06, 01:04 PM
A field of real professional race car drivers or at least qualified ride-buyers.

oddlycalm
07-19-06, 01:15 PM
Hold on to your hollyhocks waiting for that one. :p There's a little garden supply store on SE Belmont in Portland that's called Hollyhocks and it had a help wanted sign in the window. If I had ol' hollyhocks email address I'd send him a digital picture of the storefront and a map. The Horse Brass pub is a few blocks up so he really wouldn't have any reason to leave the neighborhood.

oc

Insomniac
07-19-06, 01:19 PM
Please bring us the better on track racing promised by the DP01.
More cars and a return to the split qualifying session with unlimited laps. I forget how it worked before, but who drives in which group should be determined by practice times.
Go back to the old points sytem. You shouldn't get points for showing up.

Andrew Longman
07-19-06, 01:54 PM
More cars and a return to the split qualifying session with unlimited laps. I forget how it worked before, but who drives in which group should be determined by practice times.

IIRC, before it was determined by where you finished the last race. It sucked, because one bad finish and you wound up in the slow group. Once in the slow group it was almost impossible to get out of it.

Split session a few times cause a weird grid because it rained on the fast group and they qualified in the back.

I haven't seen a problem with the current format, but with a fuller field maybe so.

NismoZ
07-19-06, 09:57 PM
Some standing starts when appropriate, like Cleveland.

A blockbuster success at Las Vegas.

No soft tires , less marbles, but 75hp ptp at all events.

ALMS/CC at RA in Aug.

A " Mustang GT" companion event by Ford (to remind us how IROC used to be!) with some name guest drivers.

Another natural terrain road course.

A CC team/driver victory at Indy, if it comes to that.

A DPO1 that is indeed lighter, faster, safer, cheaper and a dead-on success!

22-24 car grids.

Back to "Full Throttle" segments where the announcers are FORBIDDEN to describe to us what we can plainly see and want to LISTEN to! A full lap or more, several times during the event.

At least 2 disgusted League teams who decide they've had enough and want to be part of a revitalized Champcar!

Lizzerd
07-20-06, 12:17 AM
Some standing starts when appropriate, like Cleveland.

A blockbuster success at Las Vegas.

No soft tires , less marbles, but 75hp ptp at all events.

ALMS/CC at RA in Aug.

A " Mustang GT" companion event by Ford (to remind us how IROC used to be!) with some name guest drivers.

Another natural terrain road course.

A CC team/driver victory at Indy, if it comes to that.

A DPO1 that is indeed lighter, faster, safer, cheaper and a dead-on success!

22-24 car grids.

Back to "Full Throttle" segments where the announcers are FORBIDDEN to describe to us what we can plainly see and want to LISTEN to! A full lap or more, several times during the event.

At least 2 disgusted League teams who decide they've had enough and want to be part of a revitalized Champcar!

That pretty sums up everything I could think of, NismoZ. Great minds think alike... :D