PDA

View Full Version : Condolences to oc

Anteater
07-16-06, 11:29 AM
Oddlycalm's beloved 14-year-old dog, Jake, passed away yesterday. It's so hard to lose our four-legged family members! :( I only met Jake once, but it was easy to see that he was a special dog.

Ankf00
07-16-06, 01:57 PM
:(

Robstar
07-16-06, 02:18 PM
Take care Jakey... :(

G.
07-16-06, 03:08 PM
Very sorry for your loss, oc. :(

nrc
07-16-06, 03:37 PM
Dogs are such special friends. Sorry for your loss. :(

Eagle104
07-16-06, 04:28 PM
It doesn't get much tougher than that, for many of us. Sorry you lost your buddy, oc.

Cam
07-16-06, 07:16 PM
Sorry Jim.... Pets are family... :(

pfc_m_drake
07-16-06, 07:55 PM
:(

racer2c
07-16-06, 09:20 PM
I'm sorry for you loss OC. Our GSD is a member of the family and I know how I'll feel when she's gone. I've lost a few in my life and everyone is very hard. :(

dando
07-16-06, 11:23 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, OC. :( :cry: Pets = family.

-Kevin

sadams
07-17-06, 08:26 AM
Consider This...

If you can start the day without caffeine,

If you can get going without pep pills,

If you can always be cheerful, ignoring aches & pains,

If you can resist complaining and boring people with your
troubles,

If you can eat the same food every day and be grateful for it,

If you can understand when your loved ones are too busy to give
you any time,

If you can overlook it when those you love take it out on you
when, though no fault of yours, something goes wrong,

If you can take criticism and blame without resentment,

If you can ignore a friends limited education and never correct
him/her,

If you can resist treating a rich friend better than a poor
friend,

If you can face the world without lies and deceit,

If you can conquer tension without medical help,

If you can relax without liquor,

If you can sleep without the aid of drugs,

If you can honestly say that deep in your heart you have no
prejudice against creed, color, religion, or politics,

Then, my friend,

You are ALMOST as good as your dog..

Sorry for your loss OC.

RaceGrrl
07-17-06, 09:56 AM
I'm so sorry, OC. Our dogs are like kids to us, and I know it will hurt when it's their time to go. :sad:

TravelGal
07-17-06, 11:56 AM
So sorry to read this OC. It leaves such a hole when a pet dies. We count on them so much to fill all those tiny lonely spots and add fun to the happy times. To have lived and loved so long is a rare treat but a more difficult separation.

My sincere condolences to the OC family. :(

oddlycalm
07-17-06, 03:48 PM
Thanks all. Jake was a lifelong race fan and as soon as I would settle down to watch a race he would jump onto the couch, roll onto his back and commence snoring loudly where he would stay until the race was over or snacks appeared.

In his early years he served well as our emergency backup dog, apart from that chronic flatulence business. Nice when that resolved itself... Being the youngest and smallest in the pack he took up piracy as his preferred sport and entertained us with his finely honed skills at the expense of his larger siblings and cousins. Food, toys, didn't matter, if they other dogs had it he'd find a way to steal it without being detected or getting his tail kicked.

Jake's "what, me worry?" approach, knock-kneed shuffling gate and disheveled demeanor made him kind of a canine Alfred E. Newman. He liked to watch the squirrels on the dog channel (family room window) but rarely gave chase. He never ran when he could walk, never walked when he could sit and never sat when he could lie down and take a nap. He enjoyed singular health during his 14yrs right up until he got pole axed by a massive coronary.

oc

racer2c
07-17-06, 04:13 PM
Thanks all. Jake was a lifelong race fan and as soon as I would settle down to watch a race he would jump onto the couch, roll onto his back and commence snoring loudly where he would stay until the race was over or snacks appeared.

In his early years he served well as our emergency backup dog, apart from that chronic flatulence business. Nice when that resolved itself... Being the youngest and smallest in the pack he took up piracy as his preferred sport and entertained us with his finely honed skills at the expense of his larger siblings and cousins. Food, toys, didn't matter, if they other dogs had it he'd find a way to steal it without being detected or getting his tail kicked.

Jake's "what, me worry?" approach, knock-kneed shuffling gate and disheveled demeanor made him kind of a canine Alfred E. Newman. He liked to watch the squirrels on the dog channel (family room window) but rarely gave chase. He never ran when he could walk, never walked when he could sit and never sat when he could lie down and take a nap. He enjoyed singular health during his 14yrs right up until he got pole axed by a massive coronary.

oc

What breed was Jake? Based on your discription I would hazard a guess that he was a type of sporting dog? Maybe a spaniel of sorts, Weimaraner, Brittany or a Retriver? Second guess would be in the hound group, maybe a Beagle, Basset or Foxhound? Third guess would be a Terrier, like a Miniature Schnauzer or a Scotty?

Andrew Longman
07-17-06, 05:19 PM
Thinking of you.

I've had and known many a old dog and it was never easy to see them go. Far more universally liked and missed than most people I've known.

oddlycalm
07-17-06, 05:59 PM
What breed was Jake? Jake was a Papillon which means he started off with a comedic advantage, all ears and tail. He grew up around large dogs and probably appropriated their demeanor just like he appropriated anything else he could pack off undetected...

oc