PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Channel Myth Busters

Lizzerd
07-16-06, 01:41 AM
Did anybody watch the Myth Busters show that tested cell phones on an airplane? The test equipment they used for that test was made by a Wavetek, an Indianapolis company (that got bought by somebody else, don't remember who). I wrote some of the software in that box! Probably very little that executed in the test, but still kinda cool.

pfc_m_drake
07-16-06, 04:00 AM
Yes, I did see that episode. That's pretty cool that some of your stuff was in action on the show. You shound write in and demand an aknowledgement :p

Kiwifan
07-16-06, 05:17 AM
You work Lizzerd? I thought you just Lived in a van down by the river and went to races every now and then. :) Ah well, I'm impressed that you can write software code. Me, I turn the PC on and expect it to go, just like my car and the TV. I don't know how that works just that it does 'cause someone cleverer than me made it. ;)

Anyway, love the old myth busters show. Did you see the one where they tried to get a cellphone to cause a fire at a service station? They couldn't get it to work no matter how hard they tried. Since then I haven't even bothered to tell people not to use their phones when on the forecourt.

Congrats Lizzerd, yer famous!

Rusty.

Anteater
07-16-06, 11:24 AM
I didn't know about this show--it sounds very interesting! How cool to have your work featured on the show, Lizzerd.

Winston Wolfe
07-17-06, 09:29 AM
A friend of mine who was a commercial pilot told me that one of the primary reasons they ask everyone to turn off phones, computers, etc,. is not that it really interferes with the radio communications, it is more so that people will pay attention to the waiters and waitresses on the plane, during take off and landing procedures, so that in the event of an emergency people will hear what is happening, and laptops, and iPod headphones and stuff wont get in the way. There may be a technical reason as well ( I didnt see the show).

eiregosod
07-17-06, 12:45 PM
the 850 MHz EM waves did affect the navigation systems.

The airlines would be raked over the coals if they let passengers ignoire the safety instructions.

emjaya
07-17-06, 08:18 PM
I read or heard somewhere the reason not to use phones on a plane is because when you use a phone on the ground the signal is picked up by two or three antenas, buildings mask the signal to any others.

But when you are on a plane the signal can go to hundreds of antenas in a clear line of sight,the system overloads because they are all trying to pick up one phone.Melt down occurs.

Well, that's what I heard.I don't even own a phone.

Lizzerd, :thumbup: :cool:

:)

devilmaster
07-18-06, 03:08 AM
mmmmm..... Kari.

That is all.

chop456
07-18-06, 03:48 AM
mmmmm..... Kari.

That is all.

Werd. :cool:

devilmaster
07-18-06, 01:00 PM
Werd. :cool:

:cool:

http://www.fhmus.com/images/cms/tpl_11/tpl_11_ss_lg_4/30.jpg

and now that i'm more sober, congrats on a little slice of fame and fun, lizz....

Lizzerd
07-18-06, 01:34 PM
and now that i'm more sober, congrats on a little slice of fame and fun, lizz....

All I did was some of the UI for navigating all the menus and parameter entry. Stuff like that. None of it was the meat of the functionality of the device. It's pretty sensitive stuff, considering that box tested, simulated, and programmed all kind of cellular phones. Being a contractor, they wouldn't even let me see that code.

emjaya
07-19-06, 09:23 AM
All I did was some of the UI for navigating all the menus and parameter entry.

I don't even know what means, much less do it. :cry: :gomer: