PDA

View Full Version : Indy Racing League IndyCar Series

JoeBob
01-06-03, 09:18 PM
Why wait until the press conference in the morning, when the IRL has the images stowed away it on their website now:

http://www.indyracing.com/modules/images/indycarseriesleadbx_r1_c1.jpg

http://www.indyracing.com/modules/images/indycarseriesleadbx_r2_c1.jpg

Peter Venkman
01-06-03, 09:29 PM
Who cares?

JoeBob
01-06-03, 09:34 PM
CART should, they're the ones who came up with the name and started marketing it. :D

Classic Apex
01-06-03, 09:37 PM
Looks like they spent $10 on it.

:rolleyes:

Napoleon
01-06-03, 10:18 PM
snooooooooooooooze

Turn7
01-06-03, 10:32 PM
TG is just trying to capture any of the CART reputation that he can.

I wouldn't be suprised if he decided to pay PPG for the right to use their name in conjunction with the Indycar title.

Lizzerd
01-06-03, 11:16 PM
"...New Name...", "...Top Series..." What a joke.

DaveL
01-06-03, 11:19 PM
My only regret is that we don't have a vomit emoticon.

RaceGrrl
01-07-03, 12:51 AM
http://smilies.crowd9.com/cwm/cwm/puke.gifIRL

rabbit
01-07-03, 01:03 AM
IRL? What's that?

cart7
01-07-03, 05:01 AM
Sorry RaceGrrl, the vomit is just short of hitting it's mark!:D

mapguy
01-07-03, 07:14 AM
The new irl logo's are little red x's?

mnkywrch
01-07-03, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by mapguy
The new irl logo's are little red x's?

JoeBob found it on the IRL server.

Also appears the IRL folks have moved the image.

WickerBill
01-07-03, 08:56 AM
They could have at least posted another image in the place of that one; something to make JB look silly, perhaps...

WB

mnkywrch
01-07-03, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by WickerBill
They could have at least posted another image in the place of that one; something to make JB look silly, perhaps...

I'm 98% sure that JB just found the "holding" location...

Napoleon
01-07-03, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by WickerBill

WB

Like someone did to Tomahawk?

;)

WickerBill
01-07-03, 09:06 AM
Uh-huh.

Cept that wasn't exactly "silly".

:eek:

WB

RacinM3
01-07-03, 12:08 PM
That's funny that he found it on their server a week ahead of it being officially unveiled. What kind of morons are those people?? LOL!!

I must have missed what happened to tomahawk.....somebody fill me in??

JoeBob
01-07-03, 12:35 PM
They officially announced it today, so I only found it about 15 hours early. They've also since changed their server configuration to not allow directory listings, something that should be done moments after getting your webserver up and running. So it looks like somebody had a bit to do this morning 'cause of little ole me.

At least nobody alerted the media, getting the whole story in today's papers and completely stealing their thunder.

Maybe next time ;)

RacinM3
01-07-03, 12:36 PM
Joe Bob: (insert thumbs-up smiley here).

nrc
01-07-03, 12:43 PM
This series name brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.

mnkywrch
01-07-03, 01:15 PM
JB, ya posted it on TF... all of the IRL and IMS media staff read it... what did you expect?

JoeBob
01-07-03, 01:46 PM
I figured somebody would probably get their wrist slapped for letting it leak. I was surprised that they had taken care of everything by 9AM, maybe it was more than a slap. :D

nrc
01-07-03, 02:51 PM
This should be a lesson to anyone in the business world. Never put effort into building a brand that you don't own lock, stock and barrel. The Molson people should get a clue and start phasing out their use of "Indy". Start calling it the Molson Indy Grand Prix and then five years down the road just drop "Indy."

The sad thing is that CART's efforts to build the sport in the '80s and '90s are now allowing George and company to co-opt CART's history. The marketing BS coming out of the IRL will now be formed around the idea that their "IndyCar" series has a history predating the IRL, which it really doesn't. Don't be surprised if you see more and more 80's and 90's era Indy footage trotted out to sell the notion that they've been IndyCar all along.

Unfortunately I don't know that CART is any position to counter this. CART may be embracing the ChampCar brand but they're in danger of losing every other connection to their heritage if they keep pushing hard in the international F1 feeder series direction.

JoeBob
01-07-03, 03:13 PM
Great point, nrc. I'd been wondering why, of all the video available, they've been choosing to use the 1992 Indy footage of Al Unser Jr in their commercials.

Its all about pretending that was them.

mnkywrch
01-07-03, 04:05 PM
Like it or not, both sides can claim "heritage" to the past.

For me, the heritage of open wheel was a primarily oval, North American series until the 1980's... until it grew to include road and street circuits, staying primarily North American. Now you've got CART worrying about overseas expansion and the only time anyone in the IRL turns right is when Scott Sharp is doing it... so I'm not sure either side is carrying on any "heritage".

In retrospect, it fell apart in the 70's when the Indy/ChampCars grew wings and the short track heroes kept driving the spridgets. They had be the primary source for talent - as their series had been comprised of cars that resembles the "big cars".

Now the spridgets resemble stock cars and they wonder why the drivers end up in NASCAR. :rolleyes:

Besides, the past is the past. NASCAR has a past, they acknowledge their past but they don't dwell on it like open wheel does. They're too busy promoting their hot young stars.

CART may as well forge a new path - North American road racing series run on road & street circuits.

FortyOneFord
01-07-03, 04:45 PM
So it's both a league and a series?!?! Wow, I'm gunna start watching now! :rolleyes:

Yawn. Is that all they have? Chumps.

mnkywrch
01-07-03, 04:48 PM
It follows the NASCAR model.

NASCAR Winston Cup Series.
IndyCar <insert sponsor here> Series.

WickerBill
01-07-03, 09:08 PM
Re: disappearing posts

As I stated in the "Limits" thread in Feedback, the "FNS" moniker won't fly here.

Thanks for working with me.

WB

FortyOneFord
01-08-03, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
It follows the NASCAR model.

NASCAR Winston Cup Series.
IndyCar <insert sponsor here> Series.

What exactly is their sponsor? All I see is The Indy Racing League Indycar Series. We know it's being brought to us courtesy of yoda and honda bucks, but no official title sponsor.

mnkywrch
01-08-03, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by FortyOneFord
What exactly is their sponsor? All I see is The Indy Racing League Indycar Series. We know it's being brought to us courtesy of yoda and honda bucks, but no official title sponsor.

They're still looking for one.

But the name makes no sense without one.

FortyOneFord
01-09-03, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
They're still looking for one.

But the name makes no sense without one.

It still wouldn't make any sense with one. Example.

The Indy Racing League Toyota Indycar series. WTF? It's just a wee bit redundant.

RaceChic
01-19-03, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by rabbit
IRL? What's that?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: