PDA

View Full Version : Zanardi's view of PT

Wheel-Nut
07-13-06, 10:24 AM
http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/28497/

"In racing, you can win a title alternating wins with good results, but emotionally I’m on the side of the ones who even when they have a second-place finish in the pocket, they put all their chips back on the table to try and go for the win.”

Is there a better way to describe Paul Tracy?

“Tracy, he’s the type of driver you love or hate; nothing in between. He’s had thousands of possibilities in his career; when he was racing at Penske with Emerson (Fittipaldi) and Al (Unser) Jr., they never got even close to him in terms of lap times... And yet they were the ones finishing 1-2 in the championship! Paul was dominating races but rarely reaching checkered flags, often crashing his car against somebody that was a lap down.

“So from the outside, his ‘Bravery’ might look like it wasn’t taking him anywhere – other than getting plenty of cursing from his opponents! Still, every now and then he would make the impossible come through. Slowly, all his opponents started to see him with...fear. Whenever they saw him in their mirrors, they knew that Paul was the driver the least inclined to stay there. It became a big advantage for him – you can always surprise people when they don’t know what to expect from you.”

http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/large/111766_blowing_by_zanardi.jpg

“I remember a Friday morning in Long Beach in ’97, when I was coming out of the pits for my first lap of practice, and I found myself driving down the straight side-by-side with Tracy,” Zanardi relates. “In the blink of an eye, we looked to each other in the most threatening way...

“My foot at this point was squeezing the throttle against the metal, looking for more power, and on cold tires the rear end just couldn’t manage the almost 1,000 horsepower; my hands were ultra-tight on the steering wheel, just trying to keep control of the car, which is going everywhere.

“Finally, we look to each other again going into the braking zone, a look that means simply, ‘Do whatever you wanna do - I ain’t checking the throttle!’

“Believe me, it’s not a satisfaction to tell you that Paul checked the throttle after me. Then again, his car ended up in the barriers...

Andrew Longman
07-13-06, 10:34 AM
Great photo. I believe that is headed into the downhill backstrech at Nazareth.

I like the title its given "Blowing by Zanardi"

I wonder what nice things AZ has to say about best friend JV's driving. His style was always very anti to PTs.

racer2c
07-13-06, 11:06 AM
Great photo. I believe that is headed into the downhill backstrech at Nazareth.

I like the title its given "Blowing by Zanardi"

I wonder what nice things AZ has to say about best friend JV's driving. His style was always very anti to PTs.

It could be Milwaukee also. Turn two at Naz had the ped bridge and the small stands they didn't use. Although the Bosch banners make it look like Naz. It could be turn 4 coming out of the downhill backstrech. the roof tops are throwing me. I don't remember any houses on that side.

Wheel-Nut
07-13-06, 11:20 AM
Nazareth 1996
http://www.speedcenter.com/Gallery/gallery96/05nazareth/blowing_by_zanardi.jpg

devilmaster
07-13-06, 11:46 AM
Kinda OT here - but has anything been built on the naz grounds?

TKGAngel
07-13-06, 12:15 PM
Sounds like Zanardi's new book is going to be another good read. I looked on Amazon for the publishing date, and none was available.

However, I did notice that Zanardi is writing the forward for a book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1844253392/qid=1152807148/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-3979208-6108948?s=books&v=glance&n=283155) that Dr. Steve Olvey is writing, due in November. Olvey's book will focus on his experiences in racing, the incidents he's witnessed and the evolution of safety. Sounds like it could also be a good read. I'm not a fan of the cover art, but hey, things change.

devilmaster
07-13-06, 12:34 PM
However, I did notice that Zanardi is writing the forward for a book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1844253392/qid=1152807148/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-3979208-6108948?s=books&v=glance&n=283155) that Dr. Steve Olvey is writing, due in November. Olvey's book will focus on his experiences in racing, the incidents he's witnessed and the evolution of safety. Sounds like it could also be a good read. I'm not a fan of the cover art, but hey, things change.

On my wishlist. Thanks for that Ange.....

Elmo T
07-13-06, 01:05 PM

I haven't been up that way lately - and I probably would prefer not to see the place now. This was in the local paper a while back:

Ashley Development Corp. and Wind-Drift Real Estate of Bethlehem, along with MediaBay founder and real estate developer Norton Herrick of New Jersey announced in March that they joined in a sale agreement to buy the 158-acre tract for $18.8 million.

The site would feature mixed uses including 100,000 square feet that are designated retail and another 19,000 square feet for office space. The bulk of the plan would be residential, with a combination of single-family homes, townhouses, condominiums and an age-qualified development.

Andrew Longman
07-13-06, 04:18 PM

I drove by about a few months ago (the day Paul Dana died. Ironically I was in the area and chose to check out the track when word of his death came over the radio).

Anyway. It is in the same state it was last summer. About half the grandstand, just north of the pressbox up around T1 are gone and shipped off to The Glen. It doesn't seem like anything else has been done.

I heard they planned to run some racing school stuff there until they take it down for good.

Andrew Longman
07-13-06, 04:34 PM
Turn two at Naz had the ped bridge and the small stands they didn't use.

The pedestrian bridge is out of sight to the right between T1 ans 2

Those stands were still in use in the mid 90s, until Penske expanded the main grandstand. In fact, if that's 96, I am in that picture somewhere. I took my new NASCAR-fan-brother-in-law to his first champ car race that day.

Odd choice for the photo though. Tracy finished behind his teammates, a lap down, and a lot of people were blowing by Zanardi that day. 97 PT won in a strong drive, but Michael Andretti would have likely caught him if Fangio had not spectacularly exploded his toyota with about 7 to go.

ferrarigod
07-13-06, 08:24 PM
I don't know what Zanardi's view of PT was, but whatever it was, I'm sure it was slightly blocked by his own rear wing.

Insomniac
07-14-06, 09:12 AM
I don't know what Zanardi's view of PT was, but whatever it was, I'm sure it was slightly blocked by his own rear wing.

You can add the rest of the CART field to that list. :)

devilmaster
07-14-06, 10:36 AM
I drove by about a few months ago the day Paul Dana died.

So bye, bye, miss americ..... whoops. :gomer:

Anyways, thanks to elmo and you for the update.

Gangrel
07-14-06, 10:42 AM
So bye, bye, miss americ..... whoops. :gomer:

Anyways, thanks to elmo and you for the update.

Wow...that was in questionable taste.... :saywhat:

But still a good one...

devilmaster
07-14-06, 11:09 AM
Wow...that was in questionable taste.... :saywhat:

But still a good one...

I have questionable tastes.... ;)

It may be wrong, but to be honest, its what came to my head when i read Andrew's sentence.... (no comments from the peanut gallery please :D )

Gangrel
07-14-06, 11:59 AM
I have questionable tastes.... ;)

I can respect....hell, even admire that... ;)

Andrew Longman
07-14-06, 12:39 PM
So bye, bye, miss americ..... whoops. :gomer

It was an Acura not a Chevy and there are canals not levies in these part. And I gave up whiskey and rye a while ago.

But now I'm wonderin' if this will be the day that I die... This will be the day that I die...

Great. Now I'll have that tune in my head all day. :gomer:

(highjack warning: this is an interesting site if you've ever wondered about American Pie http://www.rareexception.com/Garden/Pie.php)