PDA

View Full Version : Stoddart to Champ Car?

TRANSAM
07-13-06, 09:47 AM
http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/13072006/13/stoddart-champ-car.html

Andrew Longman
07-13-06, 10:39 AM
More cars and teams the better, but is this so Dale Coyne has someone to beat?

Sean O'Gorman
07-13-06, 10:55 AM
Maybe they will have Foster's as their sponsor that would be cool :gomer:

Gangrel
07-13-06, 11:37 AM

Stop me if I'm wrong here, but couldn't a backmarker budget in F1 still fund a top level team in CCWS?

devilmaster
07-13-06, 11:40 AM
I guess I don't see it happening, unless Stoddart is pissed he's been shunned by F1 when he tried to return.... I would suspect that before Franky goes to CC, he'll try and buy out Schnaieder's Midland team.

cameraman
07-13-06, 12:54 PM

Coyne already has Rocketsports to beat up on, having two teams to thump weekly might start to go to his head :rofl:

Insomniac
07-13-06, 01:07 PM
Stop me if I'm wrong here, but couldn't a backmarker budget in F1 still fund a top level team in CCWS?

That's what I was thinking. I imagine what buy you associate sposnsorship in F1 is primary sponsorship in ChampCar with a really nice budget.

Spicoli
07-13-06, 01:48 PM
Coyne already has Rocketsports to beat up on, having two teams to thump weekly might start to go to his head :rofl:

Yep. Gentilooser is teh suckage. :gomer:

Gangrel
07-13-06, 02:06 PM
That's what I was thinking. I imagine what buy you associate sposnsorship in F1 is primary sponsorship in ChampCar with a really nice budget.

Agreed. I think some in here might be in for a rude awakening if they think that Stoddart is going to come over to CCWS and be a whipping boy. Especially with McGee out there still available for employment (unless there is something I haven't heard on that front). Stoddart's money, McGee for hire, and the pool of drivers out there looking for a ride? This could make 07 quite interesting....

KLang
07-13-06, 02:29 PM
I no nothing of Stoddart but won't 07, initially at least, be pretty much an even start for everyone with the brand new car?

Gangrel
07-13-06, 02:39 PM
Sure, but money does an awful lot for changing the learning curve...

Dr. Corkski
07-13-06, 02:45 PM
Yep. Gentilooser is teh suckage. :gomer:But he said at cw that he is serious about winning or something. :gomer:

Then again, people believe Stoddart can just magically come up with a F1 budget to run Champ Car when his F3000 teams sucked major ass. :laugh:

Gangrel
07-13-06, 02:50 PM
But he said at cw that he is serious about winning or something. :gomer:

Then again, people believe Stoddart can just magically come up with a F1 budget to run Champ Car when his F3000 teams sucked major ass. :laugh:

He don't need an F1 budget. I am guessing that somewhere in the neighborhood of 30% of Minardi's budget to run F1 would be enough to put him in the top tier of CCWS. Maybe he can come up with that, maybe he can't. I find it kind of silly to discount the possiblilty, though...

Easy
07-13-06, 03:04 PM

A backmarker budget in F1 could run the entire CCWS field. Minardi's last budget was $50,000,000.

Spicoli
07-13-06, 03:20 PM
Maybe he will beat Jensen. :cry:

Insomniac
07-13-06, 06:30 PM
I no nothing of Stoddart but won't 07, initially at least, be pretty much an even start for everyone with the brand new car?

More money will always help. You can find some area to improve. If there are bits you can change on the chassis, you can spend it there. Or more money on data analysts or engineers. The drivers, staff, equipment, etc.

Lux Interior
07-16-06, 06:35 AM
I crap F1 team needs about 50 million U.S. to just get their cars race ready and to travel. A big team like Ferrari spends 400 million plus each year testing, in wind tunnels, and in design and development as well aas racing. In F1, the car is custom built and designed about 90% with the small teams and 100% with the big teams.

I'm guessing that a competitive champcar single effort can be run for about 4 million U.S. for a year.

Also, Stoddart is first class and would be great fopr chamocar. The man LOVES racing and he is a shrewd businessman. In fact, champcar is the perfect platform for him and they race in Australia too.

Andrew Longman
07-16-06, 10:18 AM
Stoddard is passionate about racing and a successful business person. The paddock can always use more of that.

But he was able to raise $50M for his team because it was F1. I suspect he will have much the same problem finding sponsorship in CC as everyone else.

Wish him the best because everyone can use it.

TedN
07-16-06, 01:25 PM
Here are some numbers from a March 2003 article in F1 Magazine, estimating the yearly budget for Minardi by category, in $US:

Engine budget 15,000,000
Operating the cars at tests 3,400,000
Team salaries 5,300,000
Operating the cars at races 8,500,000
Research and development 200,000
Driver salaries 500,000
Wind tunnel operating costs 3,300,000
Travel and accommodation 2,300,000
Corporate entertaining and catering 350,000
Car manufacturing costs 750,000

Total 2003 Minardi Budget 39,600,000

Ted

jonovision_man
07-16-06, 03:36 PM
Operating the cars at tests 3,400,000

That's close to a total ChampCar season budget... :p And Minardi tested 1/10th of what the big teams did.

Stoddart is a blowhard, I couldn't stand his whining in F1, but I think the more relaxed atmosphere of ChampCar is probably more to his style. And he'd be competitive, a big fish in a smaller pond.

Good fit! Hope it happens. :thumbup:

jono

Easy
07-17-06, 10:12 AM
But he was able to raise $50M for his team because it was F1.

And a good deal of that was from F1's TV revenue, prize fund, travel fund, etc... If he really wanted to come to Champ Car, he'd have to do it out of pocket. I'm sure he could afford it but rich guys didn't get rich by spending money on something without returns.

emjaya
07-18-06, 09:52 AM
And a good deal of that was from F1's TV revenue, prize fund, travel fund, etc... If he really wanted to come to Champ Car, he'd have to do it out of pocket. I'm sure he could afford it but rich guys didn't get rich by spending money on something without returns.

Not quite, most of the last season of Minardi was funded by Stoddart himself, though his OzJet airline.I'm not sure if Minardi qualified for any prize fund or the travel fund money and the tv money don't amount to $50,000,000.

I'm sure he could afford it but rich guys didn't get rich by spending money on something without returns.

Stoddart made his money with passenger charter flights, perhaps he plans on expanding into the US.

Hope he does come in, with a new team so its two more cars.

Btw, he still has eight of the two seat F1 minardi's.That's almost a full grid in some race series. :gomer:

:)

Easy
07-18-06, 11:18 AM
Not quite, most of the last season of Minardi was funded by Stoddart himself, though his OzJet airline.I'm not sure if Minardi qualified for any prize fund or the travel fund money and the tv money don't amount to $50,000,000.

Stoddart made his money with passenger charter flights, perhaps he plans on expanding into the US.

Did OzJet fail or is it an ongoing operation? I thought I read somewhere that he gave up on it. He still has European Aviation though right?

Travel fund covers top 10 in constructors points the previous year, everyone gets a cut of TV revenue but Minardi's share was obviously not what McLaren or the Scuderia got.

Anyway, I just don't see why Paul Stoddardt would want to come to CCWS and dump $5mil a year to battle with Dan Clarke and Ryan Phillipe. Its not exactly the rarified air it once was.

Spicoli
07-18-06, 11:33 AM
Ryan Phillipe. Its not exactly the rarified air it once was.

Scuderia Nelsonmania makes note of your disrespect. :mad:

pferrf1
07-18-06, 11:42 AM
Imagine that, CCWS having two Aussie teams....

I think Stoddart in CCWS would almost guarantee the Verstappen talk coming back. Ronnie Bremer was very present on pit lane in Toronto as well with his QBIC7 guy...

devilmaster
07-18-06, 12:19 PM
learn something new everyday....

Did some wikis on stoddart and found that he has sold the Minardi name back to its namesake, Giancarlo Minardi...

Easy
07-18-06, 12:57 PM
Scuderia Nelsonmania, its gold, Jerry, gold!

nrc
07-18-06, 05:25 PM
Imagine that, CCWS having two Aussie teams....

I think Stoddart in CCWS would almost guarantee the Verstappen talk coming back. Ronnie Bremer was very present on pit lane in Toronto as well with his QBIC7 guy...

They mentioned on the Alantic coverage from Toronto that Bremer was there as driver coach for ... wait for it .. Alex Barron.

pferrf1
07-18-06, 05:40 PM
They mentioned on the Alantic coverage from Toronto that Bremer was there as driver coach for ... wait for it .. Alex Barron.

Yeah right.

Ronnie was working the pit lane pretty hard trying to drum up a ride. He was right in front of me talking to CTE. I couldn't hear them but it looked to me like CTE was giving him the soft let down on the prospects of a ride for next year. Didn't see if he spent any time with DCR.

emjaya
07-19-06, 09:09 AM
Did OzJet fail or is it an ongoing operation? I thought I read somewhere that he gave up on it. He still has European Aviation though right?

Travel fund covers top 10 in constructors points the previous year, everyone gets a cut of TV revenue but Minardi's share was obviously not what McLaren or the Scuderia got.

Anyway, I just don't see why Paul Stoddardt would want to come to CCWS and dump $5mil a year to battle with Dan Clarke and Ryan Phillipe. Its not exactly the rarified air it once was.

OzJet (http://www.ozjet.com.au/index.htm) is still running, if flights to Norfolk Island are counted.Stoddart tried to compete in the Australian domestic market, but was squeezed out.He no longer owns European Aviation, it was sold off in 2002.

Maybe he likes motor racing and in Champ Car, Stoddard would be a big fish in a small pond, unlike in F1 or Nascar.

One day, Minardi my favorite Italian team, will return to F1. :gomer:

:)

Insomniac
07-20-06, 07:53 AM
Looks like he's seriously looking into it.

"Yes, the rumors do have some credibility, but we are still in the very early stages," he told the magazine.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/29107/

Gnam
07-20-06, 12:55 PM
"[Doornbos] would be on [the team], as would any good quality driver worth experience such as one who has driven for Minardi in F1. Bas Leinders is another and Zsolt Baumgartner," [Stoddart] added."
Zsoltmania?

NismoZ
07-20-06, 07:03 PM
Hmmm, a couple of Dutchmen, Bruce McCaw repeating his intention to join in and rumors of a VERY well funded European effort with a 30+ F-1 starter. Now who might that be? True or not it sounds like the 01 and '07 are beginning to increase interest as intended. :thumbup:

skaven
07-20-06, 07:34 PM
Bruce McCaw??? I've lost track of his equipment, where did most of it wind up?

This might be the first good silly season in a while... which is really needed because the racing side of the show needs more cars on the grid.

SurfaceUnits
07-26-06, 11:34 PM
Former Minardi Formula One team owner Paul Stoddart has confirmed to this week's Autosport magazine he is planning to set up a Champ Car team for the 2007 season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

“However, what excites me is that Champ Car has moved almost entirely to street and road courses, and away from ovals, and has made itself into the most spectator-friendly top-level race series.”

Stoddart’s Champ Car project would have financial backing from the Muerman’s Group, a property developer that originated in Holland and sponsors Red Bull test driver Robert Doornbos.

Spicoli
07-26-06, 11:38 PM
Former Minardi Formula One team owner Paul Stoddart has confirmed to this week's Autosport magazine he is planning to set up a Champ Car team for the 2007 season.

As long as itsnot from Spyplanes, great news. :thumbup:

devilmaster
07-27-06, 11:28 AM
So will Stoddart be at San Jose Friday for the unveiling?

Jayblues
07-27-06, 11:30 AM

I talked with Ronnie for some time sunday night in TO. He is an advisor for Polestar this year and is working on a Champ Car ride with Polestar for next year. They are keen, but of course light on sponsorship and he is doing all he can to bring in the dollars required. He still has the money source that he had for CTE this year (but it wasnt enough to fund the ride). He seemed quite confident that it would all come together for 07.

BTW he was very friendly and an interesting guy to talk to. He was also very interested in the Moslon Canadain girls working the party at Purgatory (weren't we all). :gomer:

NismoZ
07-27-06, 03:08 PM
Molson Girls? Purgatory? Now THAT computes!

jonovision_man
07-27-06, 04:54 PM

That's putting it in stronger terms than Stoddart used...!

Stoddart, who sold the Minardi team to Red Bull at the end of last season, described entering next season's Champ Car World Series as "very feasible", but was keen to stress that putting the deals together was still some way off.

Stoddart told Autosport: "Yes, the rumours do have some credibility, but we are still in the very early stages.

"However, we don't need to decide on drivers yet: we need to sort out whether there is going to be a team and we need to have that done by October."

I hope it comes together but this is way too early to consider a done deal.

jono

SurfaceUnits
07-27-06, 06:08 PM
Let's see how many Aussies show up tomorrow night