PDA

View Full Version : DP01 on the lawn

cameraman
07-12-06, 02:53 PM
Why they chose to put the 1/2 scale model on the lawn to photograph it is beyond me. Never the less, here it is:

http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/large/112593_dp01.jpg

indyfan31
07-12-06, 03:19 PM
Usually you put a car on grass to make it "look" like it sits lower than it really does. What this does for the Champcar I don't know.

Ankf00
07-12-06, 03:34 PM
anyone else think the rear endplates are a little super-sized?
oh well, rest of it looks sweet :thumbup:

Spicoli
07-12-06, 03:44 PM

:nascar:

Its all about the stickers.

racer2c
07-12-06, 03:48 PM
those mirrors are all wrong. there's no way they can see with them at the angle.

Jury's out on the IPS style shark fins. It looks like a mutation of a GP2, and old Reynard.

Andrew Longman
07-12-06, 04:01 PM
those mirrors are all wrong. there's no way they can see with them at the angle.

And the nose is too high and will make it prone to blowovers on high speed ovals

And they will need to retool it so it can run the 3.0 NA Honda has invested so much in

And it is unsafe and will continue to be unsafe until it turns a wheel and proves otherwise in extensive testing

And the sidepod are not high enough to impact on a wall on a high speed oval

And there are no orders for it yet

And they will never actually build one

And the program has been scrapped

And teams can't afford it

And why would any IRL team want to buy it? :gomer:

But otherwise I think it is really sweet and I can't wait until the DP01 era starts. :D The endplates are my only serious critique but if they provide sponsor space and/or clean up the air following, they I understand completely. In both cases form should follow function.

Gangrel
07-12-06, 04:05 PM

Endplates just big enough to put nice, big, blocky numbers on them. :D

Gangrel
07-12-06, 04:07 PM
Anyone know if they're going to continue to use pop-offs with the new engine package? The half scale model appears to neither have one nore have an cutout in the engine cowling for one...

cameraman
07-12-06, 04:11 PM
I read somewhere that the pop off has been made redundant by some electronic bits.

grungex
07-12-06, 04:23 PM
The popoffs aren't needed with a spec engine running a spec ecu. I'm puzzled as to why they're even running them now, it would be simple to dump 'em.

dando
07-12-06, 04:26 PM
Those are only there for Well Done to fix his makeup with.... :gomer:

-Kevin

ferrarigod
07-12-06, 04:49 PM

Seabass and junky seem to do fine with them that way on the Lola.

rosawendel
07-12-06, 04:50 PM
what is up with the swirly stainless background? they seem to like that a lot of late...

racer2c
07-12-06, 04:50 PM
Seabass and junky seem to do fine with them that way on the Lola.

it was a joke. :gomer:

trauma1
07-12-06, 04:51 PM
this from a gomer at crackforum

Maddog

Posts: 578 It will look better when they have to put an airbox on it for the N/A Honda engine.

NismoZ
07-12-06, 04:56 PM
Fri. eve. July 28 intro. webcast at CC. :thumbup:

NismoZ
07-12-06, 05:18 PM
Hey, aren't those IRL wheels!? :saywhat: That's OK, they look like my TSWs. :thumbup:

cameraman
07-12-06, 05:25 PM
Ah, no.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Content/Photos/2006/By400/20060604P_0043.jpg

NismoZ
07-12-06, 06:06 PM
Phew.

cyclepath
07-12-06, 07:07 PM
Hey, aren't those IRL wheels!? :saywhat: That's OK, they look like my TSWs. :thumbup:
yup.. IRL spec. rears

grungex
07-12-06, 07:35 PM
Oddly enough, considering all of the nonsensical blather about this car emanating from gomer-forum, those are oval-spec wheels. The large smooth lip is for that little bit extra in the drag-reduction effort.

ferrarigod
07-12-06, 07:37 PM
it was a joke. :gomer:

woooooooooops. color me stupid. :saywhat:

cyclepath
07-12-06, 08:06 PM
Oddly enough, considering all of the nonsensical blather about this car emanating from gomer-forum, those are oval-spec wheels. The large smooth lip is for that little bit extra in the drag-reduction effort.
CCWS only allows the lip on the front wheels on road or ovals. see the pic posted by cameraman above. most teams wont run the lip exept at ovals or high speed tracks like RA and Mexico city. IRL run the lip on the front AND rear at all tracks.

grungex
07-12-06, 08:22 PM
True. My point is that they are displaying the car with wheels whose design intent was for oval racing.

cyclepath
07-12-06, 08:34 PM
:) and I wasn't disagreeing with you..
Last year at mexico city a team tryed to run the same aero rears, CC made them remove them from the paddock, they had to borrow 16 rear wheels from someone else...
True. My point is that they are displaying the car with wheels whose design intent was for oval racing.

Elmo T
07-12-06, 09:21 PM
Usually you put a car on grass to make it "look" like it sits lower than it really does. What this does for the Champcar I don't know.

Does anyone really give this much thought to appearance ride height? And where else would you apply this? :confused:

cameraman
07-12-06, 09:49 PM
:) and I wasn't disagreeing with you..
Last year at mexico city a team tryed to run the same aero rears, CC made them remove them from the paddock, they had to borrow 16 rear wheels from someone else...

Is the rule banning aero lips on rear wheels new? Why would they have the wheels otherwise unless Champ Car and the IRL use the same wheels (give or take the lip).

NismoZ
07-12-06, 09:50 PM
See? Every once in awhile I get one right. :)

Ed_Severson
07-12-06, 10:40 PM
Why they chose to put the 1/2 scale model on the lawn to photograph it is beyond me.

Because it's harder to tell that it's a 1/2-scale model. ;)

People know, generally speaking, that the new Panoz is a bit smaller than the current Lola. They don't want some dipstick on the internet seeing a photo of a 50% scale wind tunnel model with some frame of reference for size in the background and freaking out over how small the new car is.

cyclepath
07-12-06, 10:40 PM
Is the rule banning aero lips on rear wheels new? Why would they have the wheels otherwise unless Champ Car and the IRL use the same wheels (give or take the lip).
No the have never been approved by CC. IRL has always had them.
The reason the CC team had the wheels was that they fielded a 3rd car with borrowed car and wheels.. the wheels came from a IRL team as well as the crew.. they would been in troule but Del Monte couldn't race, so wheels came available...

skaven
07-18-06, 07:43 PM
That car looks pretty good to me... a full grid of them lined up for a standing start (or a professional rolling start) would look great. :thumbup:

It would sound pretty sweet too ! ! ! :D