PDA

View Full Version : How the Gomer media is Handling the Danica Rumblings

FanofMario
07-12-06, 09:43 AM
Here is a typical Gomer-media type article from the land of Tony concerning the once darling of the IRL---Danica. :gomer:

Patrick to NASCAR? Stinky storyline fans won't want to smell

Greg Fallon
So Danica Patrick, or at least her father, is considering a switch to NASCAR.
This, folks, is a stinky situation. The entire storyline wreaks of impatience, controlling parents and manipulative business tactics.
Patrick has finished in the top five only twice in 24 career starts. That, in and of itself, doesn't sound impressive. But the 23-year-old has earned three poles and has, eleven times, finished in the top 10. Those numbers, for a second-year driver, aren't terrible.
The problem, though, is that these results don't nearly justify the amount of hype the Roscoe, Ill. native has garnered over the last two seasons.
So perhaps what we have is a publicity stunt to keep Danicamania churning. She's not getting it done on the track, so maybe a juicy story involving NASCAR will keep the spotlight on the struggling driver -- who has finished out of the top ten in the last three races.

It's a story to feed the impatience of fans everywhere.

Her results -- and we're just talking consistent top five efforts, of which she's had none this season -- haven't been enough to keep anyone's attention so maybe this will.
Her parents -- Bev and T.J. -- are more than impatient, though. They are controlling. And to all fans, that's irritating.
Danica did not graduate high school. She eventually earned her GED.
When she was 16, she moved to England to better herself as a driver. Racing was more important than achieving a basic level of education.
And the only reason a 16-year-old female would choose racing over high school -- both the life of and the education it provides -- is because her parents have molded her to do so.

And now, married and plenty old enough to make her own decisions, Patrick, for some reason, remains content with allowing her parents to run the show.
She's not treating her career as a professional, yet she want's to be treated and respected at that level.
Professionals don't send in their daddy to do the work.
Patrick needs an agent like every other professional athlete -- not an over-protective, money-hungry set of parents who are living vicariously through their daughter.
Finally, there's a strong possibility that the release of this story is merely a business move on Patrick's part -- a move to create some leverage for upcoming negotiations.
It's the perfect way, really, for Patrick to convince her current team owner Bobby Rahal that she's worth some new mega contract, since her current one is due to expire at the end of this season.
"See Bobby, look how much attention I still get, even if I haven't placed in the top five since May, 2005," she might say.
It's also the perfect way to illustrate to Rahal that Patrick could, if she wanted to, easily scoot on over to NASCAR -- a potential move that would suck the publicity, and possibly sponsorship, right out from under his team.

In the end, it's a move Patrick will likely experiment with long enough to hear a dollar amount from a NASCAR team. Then she'll take that offer, and demand that -- and probably more -- from Rahal-Letterman Racing.

And that might work.

But maybe we've all been duped.
Perhaps all her ranting and raving about wanting to win an Indianapolis 500 was fluff. Maybe it is the million-dollar endorsements and big-league contracts -- from NASCAR or anyone else -- that her and the elder Patricks were after all along.
Unfortunately for Patrick's reputation with fans, money-starved athletes aren't usually well received.

It is, without a doubt, a story that wreaks of many stinky, devious odors -- most of which the general sports fan won't care to smell. The only way this story will get better for Patrick is if it goes away.
She had better be careful.
Danicamania is dying -- at least for those who truly pay attention to her weekly results. Threatening a switch of series will not help to rekindle the excitement or her dwindling fanbase -- the fanbase she quickly built at Indianapolis as a rookie when she finished the 500 fourth in 2005.
In fact, the only thing she really needs to revive the movement known as Danicamania is, well, a few more of those fourth place finishes.
If she does that, then she won't have to work so hard at conniving her way into a new contract. And rather than manufacture it, she might actually earn the money she wants -- and the hype, too, for that matter.

Greg Fallon is a sports columnist for The Star Press and he covers auto racing in East Central Indiana
:shakehead

Andrew Longman
07-12-06, 10:01 AM
The stink is the rot coming from that league and arguably the sport itself.

Whether her dad's comments were a stunt or not, given the press it generated, it shows what a publicity machine she is.

The fact that her series doesn't produce enough sponsor value to match her ability to produce press says boatloads about what's wrong with the series.

And the fact that a lot of the press included quotes from NASCAR drivers on their thoughts about DP joining shows that NASCAR is so strong that they can generate a ton of press even from a driver not in their series.

Carl Edwards, et al and their sponsors are delighted to get press even if it just to talk about DP.

Spicoli
07-12-06, 10:17 AM
East Central Indiana? they still wear mullets and drive Camaros. :gomer:

dood's outta the loop fo shizzy. :shakehead

Danicle will go to Na$turd when Booby got no more $$$$$.

racer2c
07-12-06, 10:24 AM
There are a 10000+ Moms and Dads doing this sort of thing all the time in the movie/TV and music biz. That they had their sights set on a mega-buck NASCAR contract from the time Danickle was 5 doesn't surprise me one bit.

FanofMario
07-12-06, 10:53 AM
East Central Indiana? they still wear mullets and drive Camaros. :gomer:

dood's outta the loop fo shizzy. :shakehead

Danicle will go to Na$turd when Booby got no more $$$$$.

LOL!!

Parts of Muncie is Mullet heaven! ;)

Spicoli
07-12-06, 10:54 AM
LOL!!

Parts of Muncie is Mullet heaven! ;)

Parts? :laugh:

It's the highest density of 3's & 8's on car windows in the country. :rofl:

FanofMario
07-12-06, 10:57 AM
:p Not near the campus---but you are spot on about the rest of the community!

Wabbit
07-12-06, 11:12 AM
There are a 10000+ Moms and Dads doing this sort of thing all the time in the movie/TV and music biz.

Add all sports and bug $$$ contracts. I see this all the time from my sister and other parents. Pushing kids in sports even when they have no interest.

oddlycalm
07-12-06, 03:47 PM
Very amusing. A bit of character assassination, words like conniving, ranting, raving, stinky, devious... guess the bloom is off the rose, eh? :gomer:

Like any true gomer he labors under the delusion that this is some kind of contract negotiating ploy as if it is a sure thing that Rahal will field a team in the EARL or has any money to negotiate with in the absence of Honda's support. Shall we all hold our breath until Argent steps up with full support for next season?

My guess is that DP and family know very well that without the necessary sponsors to make up for the giant hole Honda is leaving that the princess will be without a carriage for 2007 and beyond.

What I find ironic and amusing is that the very prize money system that the gomers all trumpet is the #1 reason for a "star" driver without race results to look elsewhere. I'm guessing a season of 12th place EARL money isn't what the Patricks have in mind... :D

oc

KLang
07-12-06, 04:06 PM
Shall we all hold our breath until Argent steps up with full support for next season?

Probably not.

ACC Capital Holdings Corp., the parent of Ameriquest Mortgage Co. and Argent Mortgage Co., saw an 81% decline in profits in 2005, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Argent, the wholesale unit, lost $41 million last year, after earnings of $340 million in 2004.

link (http://www.banknet360.com/news/NewsAbstract.do?na_id=4058)

Could be why she is shopping around?

Andrew Longman
07-12-06, 05:07 PM
Probably not.

link (http://www.banknet360.com/news/NewsAbstract.do?na_id=4058)

Could be why she is shopping around?

OK I'm stupid. Argent is wholesale lending. Ameriquest is retail lending. What's the difference?

If I have this right Ameriquest sells direct to borrowers and specialized in debt consolidation for high risk customers. They got nailed for predatory lending practices.

Argent sells only to independent brokers who in turn sell to customers? Is that what "non-conforming non-prime lender" means? That's what's called a wholesale lender?

If so, why spend for sponsorship in Atlantics or the IRL? What percentage of viewers are brokers? Would regular joe borrower care who his mortgage broker sold his loan to? Mortgages are virtualcommodities, especially at the wholesale level. This seems like the wholesaler that sells lettuce to my supermarket sponsoring a car in the 500. What am I not getting?

How much of the $40+ million they lost last year was spent on the 4th place I500 finisher?

cameraman
07-12-06, 05:18 PM
Isn't it b2b marketing? Selling to clients in the hospitality tent. Clients feel special as they get access the normal ticket buying folk don't.

KLang
07-12-06, 05:18 PM
OK I'm stupid. Argent is wholesale lending. Ameriquest is retail lending. What's the difference?

My wife is in the mortgage servicing biz and might be able to explain it, me, I was just googling :D

Andrew Longman
07-12-06, 07:18 PM
Isn't it b2b marketing? Selling to clients in the hospitality tent. Clients feel special as they get access the normal ticket buying folk don't.

Sure, but I don't recall a hospitality tent when I saw her race in Atlantics. And these are mortgage brokers. With all apologies to mortgage brokers but my impression is these are fairly small local firms. They don't need someone of the celebrity status of DP to be impressed.

Its not like CDW rolling into town (Say Cleveland) looking to impress the top IT buyers at Firestone, BP/SOHIO, Key Bank, CSU, Cleveland Clinic and whatever other big companies are in Northern Ohio.

Besides, as a household name, she has the potential to sell a lot more detergent or beer or whatever than wholesale mortgages in a bsb deal.

But WTF do I know?

pchall
07-12-06, 09:39 PM
Besides, as a household name, she has the potential to sell a lot more detergent or beer or whatever than wholesale mortgages in a bsb deal.

But WTF do I know?

Patrick is already hooked into the Procter & Gamble brand marketing machine, but lately I haven't noticed the radio and TV spots that were rampant before Indy. I'm thinking that P&G must be making noises about getting her into NASCAR since she's basically invisible in the IRL. She'll certainly sell more Mr. Clean Windshielf Washer Solvent and Wiper Blades and deoderant driving a bigger billboard.

emjaya
07-12-06, 11:12 PM
And the only reason a 16-year-old female would choose racing over high school -- both the life of and the education it provides -- is because her parents have molded her to do so.

Casey Stoner and his parents did the same thing, when he was 15 they moved to England to further his career.They showed faith in his riding abilities and it has worked for them.

Maybe DP's parents had a lot of faith in her as well.

And now, married and plenty old enough to make her own decisions, Patrick, for some reason, remains content with allowing her parents to run the show.
She's not treating her career as a professional, yet she want's to be treated and respected at that level.
Patrick needs an agent like every other professional athlete -- not an over-protective, money-hungry set of parents who are living vicariously through their daughter.

:saywhat: This bloke has the knife out for Danica and her parents.

FanofMario
07-12-06, 11:18 PM
Now Special Ed puts his mouth into it! Man is the IRL rattled or what?? :gomer:

Driver: 'Time of month' could help Danica in NASCAR
Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A fellow IRL driver says Danica Patrick has what it takes to succeed if she switches to the paint-swapping world of NASCAR and she's plenty aggressive in open-wheel racing when it's "the right time of the month."

Ed Carpenter, who trails Patrick by four slots in the IRL IndyCar Series' points race, made the comment when asked how Patrick might handle NASCAR racing during a radio appearance to promote Saturday night's Firestone Indy 200.

"I think Danica's pretty aggressive in our cars," Carpenter said Wednesday on WGFX-FM in Nashville.

"I mean, you know especially if you catch her at the right time of the month, she might be trading plenty of paint out there," he said. "But I think she'll hold her own. Who's she's going to drive for is hard to say. I don't think she's leaving, so we'll see."

Carpenter later told The Associated Press he didn't mean to be disrespectful of Patrick by using a female stereotype.

He said he was trying to make the point that Patrick is competitive and already proven as a capable driver. He predicts she'll stay in the IndyCar Series.

"It's obvious when you're around her, she's very competitive," he said in a telephone interview afterward. "I think she has goals that she hasn't accomplished yet in the IRL Indy cars. That's going to want to make her stay."

Patrick, who was a presenter Wednesday night at ESPN's annual ESPY Awards show in Los Angeles, was not immediately available for comment. Brent Maurer, a spokesman for Rahal-Letterman Racing, for whom she drives, declined comment.

There has been wide speculation that Patrick will switch leagues after her IRL contract ends this season. Her father was a guest of Roush Racing at Chicagoland Speedway for the Nextel Cup race last weekend.

Carpenter, who is married, drives for a team owned by his mother and her husband, Tony George -- chief executive officer of the Indy Racing League.

Patrick, who won three poles and was rookie of the year in 2005, ranks 12th in points this year, best on the Rahal-Letterman team.

"She's kind of leading the way for her team and putting up the best results for her team. She's going to get shoved around over there just because she's a girl, but I think she's going to be able to hold her own -- if she even goes over there," Carpenter said.

I guess genius runs through the family like water! :shakehead

emjaya
07-12-06, 11:27 PM
"I mean, you know especially if you catch her at the right time of the month"

:saywhat: :eek: :rofl:

devilmaster
07-13-06, 12:31 PM

I'm usually not one to defend danica, but that para above is just horses**t.

First off, when Greg Moore was once asked why his dad was still his 'agent', he responded simply by saying 'With him there, I never have to worry. My dad will always have my best interests at hand.

Second, I have repeatedly bashed hockey dads and soccer moms, but I think buddy writer here hasn't given any proof that Danica is being exploited by her parents - just accusations. Anyone can be an agent if they have the skill set. What would the difference have been if the agent went to chicagoland and the agent made those comments? The only difference is that this writer couldn't use the 'exploited' angle. :shakehead

racer2c
07-13-06, 12:44 PM
I'm usually not one to defend danica, but that para above is just horses**t.

Second, I have repeatedly bashed hockey dads and soccer moms, but I think buddy writer here hasn't given any proof that Danica is being exploited by her parents - just accusations.

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/06/15/conexiones/danica_patrick04.jpg

:D

Don Quixote
07-13-06, 12:48 PM
That photo is a rendition of Danacles as a refrigerator repair man (boy).

TKGAngel
07-13-06, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE]"I mean, you know especially if you catch her at the right time of the month, she might be trading plenty of paint out there," he said. "But I think she'll hold her own. Who's she's going to drive for is hard to say. I don't think she's leaving, so we'll see."

So sooner or later Danica's going to be driving the Kotex/Stayfree car?

dando
07-13-06, 01:04 PM
Thx, 2C. I now hafta wear shades the rest of the day in the office since I just tried to scratch my eyes out. :eek: :gomer:

In addition to missing the top half, that 'girl' ain't got no backside either. :saywhat:

-Kevin

KLang
07-13-06, 03:27 PM
Now Special Ed puts his mouth into it! Man is the IRL rattled or what?? :gomer:

CNN has the story linked on their main page. :laugh:

oddlycalm
07-13-06, 05:19 PM
Argent is wholesale lending. Ameriquest is retail lending. What's the difference? Ameriquest sells direct to consumers through brokers while Argent purchases blocks of mortgages from retail mortgage companies on the secondary market, sells off any that are qualified to GNMA, then services the balance of them. General Electric was the largest wholesale mortgage outfit last I looked and GMAC (General Motors) is a big player in both markets. The lines blur a bit as GE allows existing customers to use them as a retail lender but doesn't accept other retail business.

Argent and Ameriquest are in the sub-prime market which means that their customers are people that other lenders won't accept and for that added risk they charge higher interest rates. Theoretically the business model is sound as long as the secured real estate value is at least as high as the mortgage, i.e. as long as home prices don't decline as they have begun to in many markets as interest rates rose.

oc

cart7
07-15-06, 05:24 PM
"I mean, you know especially if you catch her at the right time of the month, she might be trading plenty of paint out there," he said. "But I think she'll hold her own. Who's she's going to drive for is hard to say. I don't think she's leaving, so we'll see."

The stepson speaks!
Granted, Ed is a mid-to-back packer so if anyone's had plenty of time to evaluate her driving, close up, it'd be he. :rofl: :gomer:

Linda
07-16-06, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE]"I mean, you know especially if you catch her at the right time of the month, she might be trading plenty of paint out there," he said. "But I think she'll hold her own. Who's she's going to drive for is hard to say. I don't think she's leaving, so we'll see."
Yes stepson done good what was left of a fan base for IRL was probably go down even more.
I'm like Steve Danica isn't even close to my favorite driver. But who is Ed what has he done? His mom married TG. Silver spoon put in stepsons mouth.
Hay ladies if there is a race a certain time of month do you not go? :shakehead