PDA

View Full Version : Question for Warlock!

mapguy
04-10-03, 11:43 AM
Hey 'lock-

As you know I have an old house. We have aluminum siding that was not original but it is pretty old. The color is white and the big problem is that in the areas that are underneath the roof overhang and both the front and rear porches are grimy. I have tried to use dish detergent and car wash to clean it up and it didn't work. I was thinking about using disc brake cleaner. Do you think that will work? If not do you know what will? If anything? If it can't be cleaned can aluminum siding be re-painted?

Warlock!
04-10-03, 02:52 PM
I can't tell ya what will work to clean your siding... might I suggest Simple Green??? ;)

As far as painting... anything can be painted. You may have to treat your siding with something first to get rid of the chalkiness which I assume has built up on it. Don't know if I've ever seen alum. siding painted... prolly oughtta call a local painting contractor to ask his thoughts... as a commercial contractor we do very little residential anymore, so alum siding is beyond my quasi-expertise.

Warlock!

Turn7
04-10-03, 03:13 PM
OK...now that the expert has answered, I'll add my two copper disks.

From experiences painting aluminum boats, you will need to prep the surface with something like steel wool that will feather the edges and remove the chalkiness.

Then you will need to prime it with a self etching primer.

Then add your top coat.

It will need to be sprayed not brushed or it will look like crap.

Napoleon
04-10-03, 03:14 PM
I can't believe any of you guys would hit up 'lock for some free advice on your house.

. . . Oh, never mind. I forgot about the time I called him at his office to ask a few questions about shoring up a floor.

Warlock!
04-10-03, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
I can't believe any of you guys would hit up 'lock for some free advice on your house.For future reference, if anyone asks for building advice, make sure it's during normal working hours (M-F, 6:00am-5:30pm). If you ask at any other time I assume no responsibilities for the results of my advice... there's a real good chance I'll be into the beer by then, and I'll finish my advice with, "Yeah... that'll prolly work! *hic*"

Warlock!

RacinM3
04-10-03, 04:09 PM
The only person I know who can use the phone, drive GPL, and drink beer all simultaneously.

nz_climber
04-10-03, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by RacinM3
The only person I know who can use the phone, drive GPL, and drink beer all simultaneously.

WARLOCK your my hero!!!! :D :D

mmmm it friday time for a beer i think!

mapguy
04-11-03, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Warlock!
I can't tell ya what will work to clean your siding... might I suggest Simple Green??? ;)

As far as painting... anything can be painted. You may have to treat your siding with something first to get rid of the chalkiness which I assume has built up on it. Don't know if I've ever seen alum. siding painted... prolly oughtta call a local painting contractor to ask his thoughts... as a commercial contractor we do very little residential anymore, so alum siding is beyond my quasi-expertise.

Warlock!

Hmm... I'll pick up some Simple Green from Lowes today and give that a try. If not then I am going to look forward to sanding down the siding. Anything to avoid paying to have the house resided.

Thanks all!

SteveH
04-11-03, 09:50 AM
Mr. Map, I painted our former house 13 years ago. I first cleaned the siding using a brush and TSP. It removed all the chalky paint. In some cases the silver of the aluminum began to shine through the remaining paint. I then used the Sherwin Williams paint that was recommend for aluminum siding. I used a brush (buy the best one you can afford). Considered spraying but in the end I was happy with the results. Two coats, the second being very easy. We changed the color of the house entirely, repainted all siding, soffets, trim and doors. The house looked like it was just built. After 13 years it still looks as good, no noticeable degredation of paint, no chalkiness. If I had to do it over again, I would not change a thing. Very statisfied.

JT265
04-12-03, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by RacinM3

Problem is, he spills his beer, drops the phone, and stuffs the car into the fence. :D

I'll be back in a couple of weeks to continue the smack talkin', I gotta hop a plane to Germany this afternoon for a couple of weeks, even tho' my LBGP room is booked in Buena Park.:(

(No worries about the bill tho'. I reserved the room as Mapguy ;) )

See, I'm pickin' up a hero's reward in Dusselldorf. Last fall, I rescued a fraulein in distress when she was accosted by a group of 10 Norton riders outside a bar. There she was, hollerin' Nein! Nein! Nein!, so one went home, and I pulled out my pic of Warlock! and yelled " Hit the deck you evil Liverpudians!!!!, they did, the Polizia arrested the whole group, and hence my award.:D

Seriously, I will report back in a couple of weeks to let you all know how great this Eurosport coverage really is.

Stay cool folks. ;)

RacinM3
04-14-03, 07:14 PM
Problem is, he spills his beer, drops the phone, and stuffs the car into the fence.

Hey, man, I never said he did it well. :p