PDA

View Full Version : The Return of The Fuel Strategy

L1P1
07-09-06, 04:44 PM
It seems like at least three different fuel strategies were used today and either of the two alternate ones might have been successful had the dominoes toppled another way.

Fuel strategies have been much maligned for creating fuel conservation runs - and even resulted in mandatory stops for a time. But I think everyone was racing today and the teams that decided to roll the dice brought something extra to the party today.

grungex
07-09-06, 05:07 PM
At first I thought the fuel conservation issue was going to make the race boring, but listening to Neil coaching PT on the desired fuel number vs. speed as the race went on was actually quite exciting. Especially since he ran out of fuel last year...

Insomniac
07-09-06, 05:19 PM
The fuel startegy wasn't the problem. It was the lack of passing. They had the mandatory windows in hopes of getting cars to actually pass on track since, theoretically, saving fuel was pointless. Turns out, they still did to have shorter stops and pass in the pits.

cameraman
07-09-06, 05:27 PM
Too bad nobody thought of that possibility before they instituted the rule :shakehead

Insomniac
07-09-06, 05:36 PM
Too bad nobody thought of that possibility before they instituted the rule :shakehead

Hehe, I'll give them a pass since they were doing it for us.