View Full Version : Call him Johnny Paul from now on

Spicoli
07-09-06, 11:49 AM
Going Neckarin' :woot! :gomer: :gomer: :gomer:

press conference at nooner. :shakehead

TedN
07-09-06, 11:55 AM
Snippets from autosport.com ...

Juan Pablo Montoya has decided to turn his back on Formula One at the end of the season and will make a switch to NASCAR next year, autosport.com can reveal ...

.... But Montoya has now inked a deal with Chip Ganassi Racing to compete in Nextel Cup as of next year - and autosport.com understands that it is a long term one.

... Sources close to Montoya have indicated that Montoya became excited by the option of NASCAR when it was presented to him last month. "He's just glad to be going back home," said one source.

.... However, sources close to Montoya have revealed that talks between the driver and his former team boss have focused on a move to NASCAR, with Chip Ganassi Racing having been looking for a replacement for Casey Mears.

Those talks have culminated this weekend in a deal being signed, with Montoya taking over the No. 42 car from the start of next season.

Ted

chop456
07-09-06, 11:58 AM
Embarrassing.

Don Quixote
07-09-06, 12:01 PM
I can't stand it. :shakehead

G.
07-09-06, 12:04 PM
press conf now on Speed.

Holy shnikkies!

Wheel-Nut
07-09-06, 12:07 PM
NAFTA at work! Now why wouldn't Chip sign him to his earl team?

Cam
07-09-06, 12:09 PM
:eek: :shakehead :gomer:

WestMcLarenF1
07-09-06, 12:11 PM
NAFTA at work! Now why wouldn't Chip sign him to his earl team?

Because he wanted to race in front of full grandstands and actually have the opportunity for endorsements? Just a guess....

Dr. Corkski
07-09-06, 12:12 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dr. Corkski
07-09-06, 12:13 PM
NAFTA at work! Now why wouldn't Chip sign him to his earl team?Bump drafting only works in NASCAR and is about the only thing he is good at nowdays.

Dirty Sanchez
07-09-06, 12:14 PM
GOLD! :laugh:

Ankf00
07-09-06, 12:19 PM
:laugh: he is so money. :gomer:

jcollins28
07-09-06, 12:28 PM
Funny, I have always said that Robby Gordon was the American JPM. Million dollar reflexes connected to a ten cent brain. Now they can crash into each other every Sunday.

chop456
07-09-06, 12:29 PM
"Coming over from Formula 1 to the big leagues".

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Audi_A4
07-09-06, 12:31 PM
good for him to have the guts to leave the tight assed world of f-1 and go have some fun with the nascar bubbas. probably will make the same $$$ and have some fun while doing it.

chop456
07-09-06, 12:33 PM
Right.

What could be more fun than getting stuffed into the wall at 190mph in some 1950's technology shytebox because you talk funnier than Ward Burton? :gomer:

He won't make the same money and even if it was, he's doing 3x as many races.

High Sided
07-09-06, 12:34 PM
Scott Speed should take note.... kudos to obi jaun, look out watkins glen :cool:

dando
07-09-06, 12:47 PM
JV can't be far behind. :gomer:

-Kevin

Night Train
07-09-06, 12:58 PM
Well, I now have a driver to root for in NASCAR....

cart7
07-09-06, 01:25 PM
I'm.......I'm...........speechless. :eek: :laugh: :gomer:

Spicoli
07-09-06, 01:35 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/medium/112161_lat2006070925261_pv.jpg

Fio1
07-09-06, 01:39 PM
Wow! But, at the end of the day he had no more winning rides available to him in f1.

nissan gtp
07-09-06, 01:43 PM
amazing development.

I can dig it, might have to watch some cup next year now :gomer:

I bet cheep is OUT of the earl next year, but not back to Champ Car

pineapple
07-09-06, 01:55 PM
The #3 collective grows...

assimilation imminent.

Toyota is handing over big money. Hope they're paying him more than Ralf.

Spicoli
07-09-06, 02:11 PM
The #3 collective grows...

assimilation imminent.

Toyota is handing over big money. Hope they're paying him more than Ralf.

so...(educate me here) is Cheep runnin with Yoda bucks next year? :saywhat:

now this makes total sense... :shakehead

Yes, JV will be close behind. :D

High Sided
07-09-06, 02:16 PM
somewhere in heaven Dales grinning with that evil twinkle in his eye, a real racer in the "any sponsor" posterboy cup racing

pineapple
07-09-06, 02:25 PM

now this makes total sense... :shakehead

Yes, JV will be close behind. :D

Just a little speculating. ;)

Toyota has only officially signed with Mike Waltrip. They're making their debut (sort of) this weekend at Chicagoland.

My guess is that Chip will be one of the other Toyota NASCAR teams when Toyota enters next year.

Would be funny if Chip decided to put both JV and JPM in his NASCAR team.

Spicoli
07-09-06, 02:30 PM
Just a little speculating. ;)

Toyota has only officially signed with Mike Waltrip. They're making their debut (sort of) this weekend at Chicagoland.

My guess is that Chip will be one of the other Toyota NASCAR teams when Toyota enters next year.

Would be funny if Chip decided to put both JV and JPM in his NASCAR team.

Well, that makes sense compleyely. As I understand it, Yoda has paid for just about everything in chipVille here in Indy. Wow.

Wally
07-09-06, 02:33 PM
The new WTF of the year winner......what a waste. :shakehead

dando
07-09-06, 02:34 PM

If so, there ain't no way he'll be in the EARL next season (IMHO).

-Kevin

pineapple
07-09-06, 02:36 PM
Well, that makes sense compleyely. As I understand it, Yoda has paid for just about everything in chipVille here in Indy. Wow.

Well, if Toyota has paid for all that, then I'm sure they'll be looking for some ROI .

Wasn't it Chip who did the original wind tunnel testing for Toyota in NC a few years back?

pineapple
07-09-06, 02:37 PM
The new WTF of the year winner......what a waste. :shakehead

:confused:

Spicoli
07-09-06, 02:39 PM
If so, there ain't no way he'll be in the EARL next season (IMHO).

-Kevin

there ya have it. :shakehead

how F'd up is the NASCAR fan base gonna be when they see how this all pans out?

G.
07-09-06, 02:48 PM
I thought that Cheep and JohnnyPaul both said he'd be running the Dodge.

(love the JohnnyPaul, Spikkly)

devilmaster
07-09-06, 02:51 PM
Well, I now have a driver to root for in NASCAR....

me too. every OTHER driver. ;)

Dirty Sanchez
07-09-06, 02:52 PM
how big do you think puffy will balloon up to? :laugh:

Accipiter
07-09-06, 03:11 PM
NASCAR is such a steep learning curve, mindless F1 fans are going to take a beating in the message boards next year as he gets whipped consistantly by goobers. But if he has the patience to stick with it, JPM (John Paul Montana) should find his way to the front. And hopefully, in short time, to a better team.

I just can't wait to see the stands in Charlotte filled with flag waiving, air-horn blowing Columbians. :laugh:

devilmaster
07-09-06, 03:14 PM
I just can't wait to see the stands in Charlotte filled with flag waiving, air-horn blowing Columbians. :laugh:

I'll put 5 bucks down on the columbians beating up the rednecks in a brawl..... Nascar fans have never seen anything like a soccer riot.

Dr. Corkski
07-09-06, 03:16 PM
NASCAR is such a steep learning curve, mindless F1 fans are going to take a beating in the message boards next year as he gets whipped consistantly by goobers.Those guys should already be used to taking a beating in the message boards. :laugh:

KLang
07-09-06, 03:23 PM
This can't be real :shakehead Could have sworn April Fools Day was a couple months ago.

Sean O'Gorman
07-09-06, 03:29 PM
Why wouldn't you do this if you were Juan? It is a challenge, and thats what racers love.

JT265
07-09-06, 03:45 PM
Why wouldn't you do this if you were Juan? It is a challenge, and thats what racers love.

Oh, i$ that it? What make$ you $ay that $eanO? :D

gjc2
07-09-06, 03:59 PM
good for him to have the guts to leave the tight assed world of f-1 and go have some fun with the nascar bubbas. probably will make the same $$$ and have some fun while doing it.

I agree. I love seeing drivers crossing over to other forms of racing. I just wonder how he will adjust to having a full time job. With thirty some odd races and all the sponsor commitments this will probably be the most work Juan has ever done.

High Sided
07-09-06, 04:08 PM

true, he's proven like coultard and many others he's championship worthy in F1 but tooling around in $500,000,000 machines vs 36 weekends of fun could be as cool as owning hotels.

FailureByDesign
07-09-06, 04:08 PM
This can't be real :shakehead Could have sworn April Fools Day was a couple months ago.

*Pats Klang on the back* There there, it'll be alright look at the bright side 36 weeks out of the year(if Juan makes the race when he's languishing out of the top 35) we'll be ensured a good laugh. :D :laugh:

meadors
07-09-06, 04:19 PM
I'll put 5 bucks down on the columbians beating up the rednecks in a brawl..... Nascar fans have never seen anything like a soccer riot.
I'm sure the House republikins will have somethin to say bout that problem.

Spicoli
07-09-06, 04:25 PM

Well, ****ing Courtney Love up the ******* would be a challenge too. Doesn't mean anyone in their right mind would do it.

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/party/fest10.gif

cameraman
07-09-06, 04:51 PM
Thanks a whole hell of a lot for that mental image :saywhat:

Insomniac
07-09-06, 05:41 PM
Thanks a whole hell of a lot for that mental image :saywhat:

Not his fault you took the time to fill in the asteriks. :p

Accipiter
07-09-06, 06:20 PM

3 teams. Waltrip, Bill Davis Racing and Red Bull.

Not his fault you took the time to fill in the asteriks.

"Courtney Love" was enough of a bad mental image for me.

TKGAngel
07-09-06, 06:48 PM

Next up, Kia to NASCAR? ;)

If Montoya wants to try NASCAR, good for him. He may get his arse handed to him on a platter at some point, but I think he might do halfway decent in his first year.

Rogue Leader
07-09-06, 06:58 PM
You have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

Louie
07-09-06, 08:55 PM
Well, I now have a driver to root for in NASCAR.... Kinda what I was thinking. :thumbup:

Napoleon
07-09-06, 09:29 PM
OK, my socks are now officially knocked off.

Methanolandbrats
07-09-06, 10:00 PM
Chrissy's Fittipaldi's shoes are hard to fill, but Monty can do it, he's that good!

Lizzerd
07-09-06, 10:53 PM
If he wants to get a Nextel Cup ride, he should do it just like everybody else. South Eastern short tracks > ARCA > Busch > Cup. Just like everybody else did. :shakehead :rolleyes:

Hard Driver
07-10-06, 01:24 AM
I'm extremely surprised :eek:

But thinking about it, if no F1 rides were offered, which they were not, where would he go? German DTM, ALMS. The "biggest" series in the USA is Nascar. I guess this just shows how big nascar is. Remember when F1 guys came to champcar?

theunions
07-10-06, 01:27 AM
The "biggest" series in the USA is Nascar. I guess this just shows how big nascar is. Remember when F1 guys came to champcar?

Hopefully this means NASCAR will be in for the same denouement a dozen plus years after the fact like ChampCar.

JohnHKart
07-10-06, 02:30 AM
This is really a bummer. Im trying to get something positive out of it but I can't. It's gonna be crash, crash, crash. At least he's only going to be 31 instead of being a cup rookie at 40.

John

mueber
07-10-06, 07:40 AM
Given a choice between driving in circles in front of empty grandstands in the IRL or driving around parking lots in the company of ride buying teenagers in Champ Car IF sponsorship or a handout can be found, Montoya chooses driving around in circles in front of full grandstands with lots of sponsorship, not exactly rocket science. If it doesn’t work out, Cheep can put him in one of his IRL cars, if there is an IRL, when Well Done’s contract expires.

I predict that none of this will make an impression on Toni George.

Insomniac
07-10-06, 08:07 AM
If he wants to get a Nextel Cup ride, he should do it just like everybody else. South Eastern short tracks > ARCA > Busch > Cup. Just like everybody else did. :shakehead :rolleyes:

How did Robby Gordon and Tony Stewart get there?

Sean O'Gorman
07-10-06, 09:06 AM
Midwest ovals > IRL > BGN > Cup

Warlock!
07-10-06, 09:11 AM
How did Robby Gordon and Tony Stewart get there?I think Lizz's post was kinda tongue-in-cheek (hence the :rolleyes: ), there, sleepy.

Andrew Longman
07-10-06, 09:50 AM
I turned on Speed yesterday and Chip was on announcing a new driver. I bothered to listen because the press conference was unexpectedly preempting the race I was looking for. I can't see who is sitting next to him, but he's going on about how this driver had better car control than anyone he's ever had and I thought to myself, what crap. What about JPM?

Then I realize he's talking about JPM. I had to search around the floor for my socks and jaw.

Too bad Chip hasn't shown he can engineer a good cup car. Too bad JPM does feel compelled to stay in the shape he needs to be competitive in F1. Too bad this will make so many NASCAR fans feel validated. We'll have to listen to them crow forever. If he wins, they can say they attract top f1 talent. If he loses they can say Michael Waltrip and the other gomers are better than F1 drivers.

If nothing else, 07 will be interesting with Toyota in the series and a driver that will attract a lot of Latin fans, especially to places like Homestead, Daytona, Texas and CA. Even Carolina has a surpisingly large Latin population.

Insomniac
07-10-06, 10:06 AM
I think Lizz's post was kinda tongue-in-cheek (hence the :rolleyes: ), there, sleepy.

Heh, I took that the other way. :)

eiregosod
07-10-06, 10:46 AM
if you like foreign cars (toyota) your gonna love foreign drivers (montoya)

Lizzerd
07-10-06, 12:16 PM
I think Lizz's post was kinda tongue-in-cheek (hence the :rolleyes: ), there, sleepy.

Thank you.

KLang
07-10-06, 01:50 PM
If nothing else, 07 will be interesting with Toyota in the series and a driver that will attract a lot of Latin fans, especially to places like Homestead, Daytona, Texas and CA. Even Carolina has a surpisingly large Latin population.

It will certainly have an impact at Homestead. I went to the last CART race there and it seemed half the people in the stands were from Columbia cheering on Montoya.

Can't blame him for going someplace where he can still make a bunch of money.

What a sad reminder of how far we have fallen since 1995. :shakehead

FTG :flame:

Ozarkian
07-10-06, 02:33 PM
Also wish him well - this will give me someone to root for, along with Said. Downside is that I may have to watch some of that crap next year.

What a sad reminder of how far we have fallen since 1995. :shakehead

FTG :flame:

Yep. What a difference a dozen years and an idiot can make. Thanks, Tony.

Andrew Longman
07-10-06, 02:58 PM
Also wish him well - this will give me someone to root for, along with Said. Downside is that I may have to watch some of that crap next year.

Yep. What a difference a dozen years and an idiot can make. Thanks, Tony.

I doubt if I can watch JPM drone around in circles like Chicagoland anymore than I can watch Jeff Gordon.

But he will be fun at the Glen and Richmond and a few others. And will JPM climb out to serve up an ass kicking if someone removes a quarterpanale at Bristol?

theunions
07-10-06, 03:26 PM
And will JPM climb out to serve up an ass kicking if someone removes a quarterpanale at Bristol?

I'd love to see him go up to Poster Boy or Havoc and screech, "you broke my ******* head!!!" :D

Insomniac
07-10-06, 03:56 PM

I don't care who goes to NASCAR. The day that ChampCar and F1 are gone is the day I stop watching racing.

oddlycalm
07-10-06, 08:47 PM
I don't care who goes to NASCAR. The day that ChampCar and F1 are gone is the day I stop watching racing. Exactly right.

oc

Winston Wolfe
07-11-06, 03:42 AM
yeah, I know it was many moon ago.... but remember JPM's car control when they went to the in-car camera at LBGP, Surfer's, etc ??? That is what Fatassi is remembering, and its half a failed F1 career ago for Monty, and about 300 tenderloins and 50 lbs for CHeep...
Remember how well JPM did when Floyd took Toyota bux after leaving Honda power in 1999, and JPM and Jeemy didnt do so well ??? In fact, GdF and HCN did quite well that year, but CHeep lined his pockets and then JPM left for F1 hopes...
I dont see JPM accomplishing anything in NECKCABS except selling alot of tickets for Latin American fans, and creating a media buzz at Daytona when he cant qualify 'real good' and finds himself again in middle of the pack equipment. It's got disaster and 'sad end to career' written all over it.
Cant wait to see him back at the irl500 come May when floyd gets a real bad case of indyitis compounded by a hankering for some AJ sized tenderloins.
sad to see Monty fall so low.... I wonder what the other open wheel guys think about this move ???

Insomniac
07-11-06, 07:48 AM
I wonder what the other open wheel guys think about this move ???

Here are a couple quotes:

“I have a lot of respect for Juan’s abilities on ovals,” said former Target/Ganassi teammate Jimmy Vasser who ran a handful of NASCAR Busch Series races in 2003. “Of course, I have a lot of respect for Juan’s abilities period. I think he can be successful at just about anything he puts his mind to.”

“Stock cars require a lot of finesse,” he said. “Montoya’s never been a finesse driver, and he’s coming from an environment -- F1 -- where it’s attack, attack, attack. All the time. You can’t do that in stock cars. The tires go off big time after about ten laps and from there on they require a lot of finesse. He’s certainly got the talent to succeed, but he’s gonna have to learn some patience to go with it.”

RusH
07-11-06, 08:03 AM
"JP" Montoya must be in Miami already.
McLaran just released him, so we will seem him rubbin`sheet metal soon. :D

Accipiter
07-11-06, 09:54 AM
Who would work for Ron Dennis? It's just not worht the aggravation.
:rolleyes:

nrc
07-11-06, 10:09 AM
Now he'll have the time to see "Talladega Nights" about 20 times as preperation for his new career as a bumper car.

cartman
07-11-06, 11:39 AM
Too bad Chip hasn't shown he can engineer a good cup car.

Not true. He engineered a car for Sterling Marlin a few years back that was on it's way to winning the cup until Sterling got hurt. Then McMurray took over for Sterling and won a couple of races. He's dropped out a little since then but he still has better cars than half the cup teams out there. I can't stand Cheep, but occassionally he knows what he's doing.

Yes, I like NASCAR, so friggin sue me. I like all racing except the EARL.

I'm looking forward to JPM in NASCAR. I know that there will certainly be a learning curve, but I think that JPM can drive the wheels off just about anything you put him in. I'll be rooting for him to whip those gomer's butts! I wish they'd put him in the Target car instead of the Texaco/Havoline car though. It would remind me of the good old days, hehe.

G.
07-11-06, 12:06 PM
It appears that the move has nothing to do with Toyota, but Dahmler-Chrysler

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/2006-07-02-notebook_x.htm

Joint NASCAR-F1 program called a possibility
Posted 7/2/2006 7:25 PM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this

By Steve Ballard, The Indianapolis Star
INDIANAPOLIS — Given Formula One's ability to develop cars and NASCAR's ability to sell them, DaimlerChrysler is counting on a union of German technology and good, old American know-how to improve both programs.
DaimlerChrysler CEO Dr. Dieter Zetsche attended Saturday's night's Nextel Cup race at Daytona Beach, Fla., where his likeness appeared on the hoods of the Dodges driven by Evernham Motorsports' Kasey Kahne and Jeremy Mayfield. Then Zetsche flew to Indianapolis to be with McLaren-Mercedes for what turned out to be a short day for the team in Sunday's U.S. Grand Prix.

At a news conference Sunday morning at the convention center, where he was joined by McLaren team principal Ron Dennis and NASCAR team owner Ray Evernham, among others, Zetsche said a joint NASCAR/F1 program isn't as farfetched as it might seem.

"The technology is very different, but the principles are the same," he said. "There is much to share. NASCAR has something to tell as far as the show is concerned. I saw Daytona and it's quite something."

Zetsche said DaimlerChrysler is committed long-term to both programs.

"It's our history and will be our future as well," he said. "NASCAR is as American as it can get. We are there to stay."

Dennis and Evernham agreed they are in the initial stages of developing their partnership, but both expect it to be fruitful.

"It takes time because they're two very different types of motor sports," Dennis said. "It's a learning curve for both of us. But we are blown away by their marketing machine."

Evernham acknowledged he has thought about one day being part of a U.S. team effort in F1 but not until his NASCAR program has produced a championship or two. He is counting on the union with McLaren and Mercedes to help him do that.

"It's not just the technology. Take what they're doing with their strategy and their software," he said. "It's great to have a big brother like McLaren. This is what we've been waiting for."

Red Bull thanks Montoya

The postrace news release from Red Bull Racing was headlined, "Thanks, Juan," for the first-lap crash initiated by McLaren's Juan Pablo Montoya that cleared the way for the Red Bull team and its junior partner to each score points Sunday.

Red Bull's David Coulthard placed seventh, his second-best finish of the year, and the Red Bull-owned Toro Rosso team scored the first point of its brief history with Vitantonio Liuzzi's eighth-place effort.

Coulthard said he could see trouble coming as the field barreled into the first turn.

Andrew Longman
07-11-06, 02:19 PM
Not true. He engineered a car for Sterling Marlin a few years back that was on it's way to winning the cup until Sterling got hurt. Then McMurray took over for Sterling and won a couple of races. He's dropped out a little since then but he still has better cars than half the cup teams out there. I can't stand Cheep, but occassionally he knows what he's doing.

Fair enough. Marlin was stout there for a while and McMurray looked like an up and coming young gun for a short while, but on the whole the team is only a little better than it was under Sebates. Yes they are better than half the field, but worse than the other half.

On whole I really hope Montoya does well or at least has fun. I think he really appreciated the more relaxed, open environment in CART and I think he is being truthful when he says guys like J Gordon and J Johnson have been really friendly to him.

I do wonder how he'll do in a heavy car with tires that go off quickly. And he has a lot to learn about aero, drafting, etc in these cars as well as how to give feedback on a car that is so different and primative mechanically.

Finally, I wonder how he'll feel about a gruelling 36 race schedule and endless sponsor commitments. I suspect NASCAR drivers, while they do not have to do the conditioning of F1 drivers, work a lot harder.

manic mechanic
07-11-06, 11:06 PM

Actually, Cheep just had the right guys on that car Tony Glover and Sterling go back a long way and McMurray won that race on their notes.

I'm pretty sure that Cheep just wants to run a race team, not pay the whole bill on it. ;)

manic

Oh yeah...Ever since I read a post titled "Bubba Zanardi" about 8 years ago, there is only one nick for a driver like JPM... "Bubba Montoya" :rofl:

JohnHKart
07-12-06, 08:42 PM
Not true. He engineered a car for Sterling Marlin a few years back that was on it's way to winning the cup until Sterling got hurt. Then McMurray took over for Sterling and won a couple of races. .

Actually it was and remains one race, Charlotte, 2002, which was only his second start in the cup car.

John