View Full Version : pkv new manager

trauma1
07-07-06, 02:27 PM
hey spicoli heard much about johnson

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/28133/

pchall
07-07-06, 03:18 PM

Is that a big johnson, an action johnson, or just a well placed johnson? Spic ought to know... ;)

trauma1
07-07-06, 03:26 PM
the waving johnson is defenders usual comment :eek:

Dr. Corkski
07-07-06, 03:42 PM
Why did Jim McGee leave them in the first place?

trauma1
07-07-06, 03:49 PM
krisloff was pissing people off most of the mechanics and they let him go so megee and him have been buds for awhile said if krisloff was going so was he, most of the mechanics were going to walk out due to krisloff, so PKV had little choice , mcgee hung on until johnson was named

The news will leak out sometime this week because it's racing and there are no secrets -- not for long anyway.

One race into the 2006 season, PKV Racing and Jim McGee have parted company. It's a news story and a relatively large story because of the principals involved and the sudden end of what looked like a winning combination last summer.

It's the classic racing breakup. Team morale is down and the finger is pointed at team manager Steve Krisiloff. McGee is told to fire Krisiloff but refuses, opting instead to walk away.

And now co-owners Jimmy Vasser and Dan Pettit will call the shots, until a replacement for McGee can be hired.

"Jim and Steve did a great job of getting us to where we are now but to get to where we need to be we've decided to go a different direction," said Vasser.

Naturally, I'm sure PKV would prefer this story goes away quietly instead of it being diagnosed on his web site.

But that's what is good about this gig, I'm not censored or told what I can and can't write about and that's healthy for a website to earn credibility with fans.

Kevin Kalkhoven, Pettit and Vasser hired McGee following the 2004 season because their team needed a makeover, a plan and a wise hand to steer the ship.

Since hooking up with Clint Brawner and Mario Andretti in 1964, McGee has done nothing but make the right moves and decisions. He's won more races and championships in five decades than anyone else with Pat Patrick, Roger Penske, Bobby Rahal, Paul Newman and Carl Haas.

McGee has more money than he could ever spend and he took the job with PKV because he instantly liked Kalkhoven and because he enjoys restoration projects. He immediately hired Krisiloff as team manager and Cristiano da Matta to push the pedal. Then they assembled some talented mechanics and engineers from all over the Champ Car and IRL paddock.

As mentioned, when da Matta won at Portland last June it was classic McGee strategy -- he pitted da Matta out of sequence, turned him loose and he wound up stealing one from Newman/Haas and Forsythe. Cristiano was leading the next show at Cleveland when he ran into a backmarker but, from that point on, the pilot light went out. Vasser came through with a pair of late-season podiums but the da Matta disconnect puzzled everyone.

Shorty wasn't invited back and PKV hired Oriol Servia to take his place to run alongside Katherine Legge, although McGee and Krisiloff wanted either Ryan Briscoe or Frank Montagny.

This is just an observation but Kalkhoven was the only one who thought Katherine was ready for a Champ Car. McGee and Krisiloff didn't and, if put on a polygraph, neither did Pettit and Vasser. But I think Kevin insisted and, as it's turning out, Ms Legge did a pretty fair job in her debut so it might turn out to be a good call by KK to bring her up early.

That's not why McGee left because he's smart enough to know who pays his salary and the bills. He didn't endorse it but he also didn't fight it real hard. He quit because he resented being told how to run the team.

Krisiloff is the eye of the storm. I've known Steve for 35 years, we were friends early, enemies for a few years when he worked at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and we've been buddies again the past decade. I respect his racing acumen and resume yet he can be so pessimistic and doesn't throw out compliments very often. In short, not the easiest guy to work for.

But he's smart about racing and budgets and maybe he took some unnecessary blame for this year's cutbacks at PKV.

The story goes that some of the PKV crew were fed up with Krisiloff and a mini-mutiny was going to ensue unless he walked the plank.

"Team morale doesn't cost anything but it's real important and you can't succeed without it," said Vasser, who learned all about that during his '96 CART championship and five years with Ganassi Racing. "There's just too much ill will.

"This is not what I wanted because I chose those two guys and I respect them very much. It just didn't work out."

I understand everybody's side. Mechanics need to feel appreciated because it's long, hard days during the season and Krisiloff was the good soldier and did everything McGee asked him to do, but his people skills need work, to be kind. McGee was hired to run a team and then ordered to fire his drill sergeant. Pettit and Vasser are still searching for the right chemistry but, obviously, felt compelled to pull the trigger.

"That's life," said McGee, who was in the PKV shop Monday morning and says he's willing to stay on and help until a replacement is found. "Steve did everything I asked him to and he did a good job.

"I'm not sad or mad, but the philosophy of this team changed since I took this job.
I'm not through racing either. If a quality package comes along, I'll do it. But I don't race for a paycheck, I race to win."

Racing is a revolving door that never stops and McGee and Krisiloff are old hands who know the bottom line. It's not personal, it's just business. The racing business.

Spicoli
07-07-06, 04:19 PM

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/28133/

nope. but I know someone who does and she has the day off and is sitting on a boat right now, I'll bet with about 7 or 12 Bacardis in her. so best not to bother her at this point. :)

And I'll waive my big fat stubby johnson anywhere I want you stinking pile of crap Super D! :gomer:

Krissiloff is/was related to the Hulmans. Go figger peeps no likey.

trauma1
07-07-06, 04:21 PM
is he the father of the krisloff kid that just got his ride yanked today in the truck series because the old man didn't pay the bills

Krisiloff out, Grubb in at Ballew Motorsports
From Team Press Release
July 6, 2006
05:23 PM EDT (21:23 GMT)

"Due to a lack of payment and breach of contract by Steve Krisiloff, Kyle's father, and 21st Century Technology, Inc., Kyle Krisiloff will no longer be the driver of the No. 15 Billy Ballew Motorsports Chevrolet," Ballew said. "We are very upset about this and now it is in the hands of the attorneys. We plan on filing a lawsuit immediately."
"In light of the situation, we're glad to have Kevin Grubb join our operation,"

Spicoli
07-07-06, 04:26 PM
is he the father of the krisloff kid that just got his ride yanked today in the truck series because the old man didn't pay the bills

Yep. And word is that that kid inherits the family fortune after Gramma Mari Vodka hits the deep 6. something about it skips a generation (fTG), and ends up with him, being the oldest grnadson or something. His momma is fTG's seester, but I think the folks are divorced. Maybe Zigvgy knows, he's still on the A-List at the Hulman Estate.

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/signs136.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

trauma1
07-07-06, 04:34 PM
mari still has a liver :rofl: hard to believe he has no $$ to race :shakehead

racer2c
07-07-06, 05:14 PM
nope. but I know someone who does and she has the day off and is sitting on a boat right now, I'll bet with about 7 or 12 Bacardis in her. so best not to bother her at this point. :)

And I'll waive my big fat stubby johnson anywhere I want you stinking pile of crap Super D! :gomer:

Krissiloff is/was related to the Hulmans. Go figger peeps no likey.

Is she hot? I like a chick who's not afraid to keep turnin' em' up. :thumbup:

NismoZ
07-07-06, 05:47 PM

NismoZ
07-08-06, 10:36 AM
Hmmmm...I guess Mark Johnson just "might" be the guy to replace a talent of McGee's standing. Had 17 years with Kawasaki until '96, starting as mechanic for Jeff Ward then was associated with Eddie Lawson, Wayne Rainey, Jeremy McGrath, Ricky Carmichael and most recently James Stewart. Had 8 consecutive Baja 1000 wins. Went to PPI Arciero/Wells in '96 and did MCI Toyota Off Road Team and Atlantics team, was President of Operations for the NASCAR "Tide" team. Went to Rahal/Letterman in '01, hooked up with Vasser at Indy 500 in '02, returned to Kawasaki in '03. Vasser says "we look forward to having Mark lead the team for years to come." :thumbup:

Bob_S.
07-08-06, 01:16 PM
Had 8 consecutive Baja 1000 wins.

They'll own San Jose. :thumbup: