PDA

View Full Version : Bad Movie Alert (or maybe not)

nrc
07-04-06, 02:37 PM
If you happen to get the Universal HD channel and you're interested in a potentially excellant but possibly terrible movie, check your listings for a movie called "Walker". Walker (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0096409/) is a movie by the director of "Repo Man" and "Sid and Nancy" with about American filibuster William Walker. Walker, played in the movie by Ed Harris, at various times in the mid-1800s declared himself President of Lower California and Nicurauga.

When it was released the critics soundly panned it. It's really not clear just what it's supposed to be. Just when you think it's a historical drama there's a deliberate anachronism - a helicopter flying by, or someone reading Time magazine. So maybe it's political satire. Or maybe just a violent western set in Central America. Or maybe it's all of those and that's just not allowed according to the critics.

I saw it ages ago on cable and found it fascinating but I'll have to see it again to decide if it's any good. :)

Heck, for that matter it could be a prescient commentary on Tony George. :D

Doubleday: I cannot help noticing Sir, during the time I've spent with you, that you've betrayed every principle you've had, and all the men who supported you. May I ask why?
William Walker: No you may not.
Doubleday: What exactly are your aims?
William Walker: The ends justify the means.
Doubleday: What are the ends?
William Walker: I can't remember.

L1P1
07-04-06, 04:48 PM
If you happen to get the Universal HD channel and you're interested in a potentially excellant but possibly terrible movie, check your listings for a movie called "Walker". Walker (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0096409/) is a movie by the director of "Repo Man" and "Sid and Nancy" with about American filibuster William Walker. Walker, played in the movie by Ed Harris, at various times in the mid-1800s declared himself President of Lower California and Nicurauga.

When it was released the critics soundly panned it. It's really not clear just what it's supposed to be. Just when you think it's a historical drama there's a deliberate anachronism - a helicopter flying by, or someone reading Time magazine. So maybe it's political satire. Or maybe just a violent western set in Central America. Or maybe it's all of those and that's just not allowed according to the critics.

I saw it ages ago on cable and found it fascinating but I'll have to see it again to decide if it's any good. :)

Heck, for that matter it could be a prescient commentary on Tony George. :D

:rofl: I read your post a little too quickly and missed the TG reference before reading the quote. I thought "Dang, that sounds just like Tony George."