PDA

View Full Version : Working...

race chica
07-03-06, 11:02 AM
Why is it that the government employees have to work the monday before 4th of July? I've been sitting at my desk for the last 3 hrs looking at OC and other random websites. There is nothing to do b/c the rest of the District has the day off (like normal people). Any ideas?

racer2c
07-03-06, 11:13 AM
Well, find somthing to do!!

You work for me (and the rest of us 'mericans)!

Now snap to it!

Oh, and can I get a cup of coffee? thanks sweetheart. ;)

Sean O'Gorman
07-03-06, 11:24 AM
I have about a week and a half worth of paperwork to go through, want me to fax it over to you to stay busy?

Fitti Fan
07-03-06, 11:58 AM
You should have taken a vacation day like the rest of the nation. Is ANYONE else working today?

TKGAngel
07-03-06, 12:17 PM
I'm working. Out of my department of 9, there's 4 of us here. None of my clients are in today, and none of my sales reps are in (and the ones that are in, I really don't want to deal with).

In other news, my cubby now has a chair, now that I've cleared 3 months of filing off of it. :)

RaceGrrl
07-03-06, 12:25 PM
Our office is closed today, which is weird, considering that they work half a day on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. I'd rather have a full day off on Christmas Eve.

race chica
07-03-06, 12:32 PM
Well, find somthing to do!!

You work for me (and the rest of us 'mericans)!

Now snap to it!

Oh, and can I get a cup of coffee? thanks sweetheart. ;)

I'm paying my salary with my taxes, lol. And its tooo hot for coffee...how about some nice icetea? Dont want you to pass out on the boat from heat exhaustion

I have about a week and a half worth of paperwork to go through, want me to fax it over to you to stay busy?

If you have that much paperwork, what are you doing at OC?

You should have taken a vacation day like the rest of the nation. Is ANYONE else working today?

Interns dont get vaction days, but i do get paid sick leave...go figure

extramundane
07-03-06, 12:41 PM
I work for a private school, so I'm enjoying a 5 day weekend. :D

:runs:

racer2c
07-03-06, 01:11 PM
I'm paying my salary with my taxes, lol. And its tooo hot for coffee...how about some nice icetea? Dont want you to pass out on the boat from heat exhaustion

Interns dont get vaction days, but i do get paid sick leave...go figure

So, how are you liking DC? Give us an update.

race chica
07-03-06, 01:18 PM
So, how are you liking DC? Give us an update.

Its not too bad. I havent been out on the town yet (that comes tonight) and I'm lucky that I had a place to stay before I moved out here. Tonight we have tickets for the rehearsal concert celebrating the 4th of July (the real one is tomorrow at the capitol). Tomorrow we will be tourists during the day and then watching the fireworks from the south lawn at the white house (a perk of my internship).

As for the job its just basic graphic design work for all the agencies and branches of the White House. My claim to fame so far is designing the tickets for the fireworks show.

racermike
07-03-06, 01:35 PM
Go to this site .. it should keep you busy for awhile (turn speakers on)

http://www.zombo.com/

Sean O'Gorman
07-03-06, 01:52 PM

Proving even further that I have absolutely no concept of time? :)

Cam
07-03-06, 02:01 PM
I aint working. But I have an appointment with the physiotherapist this afternoon. So I really can't have any fun anyway... :mad:

vancouver
07-03-06, 02:07 PM
I'm off tomorrow but I am not American. ;) My uncle is over from San Diego, does that count?

Happy Independance Day to you all. :thumbup: :D

trauma1
07-03-06, 02:13 PM
i'm a DOD employee, we do not get it off and neither did any federal employee unless they took today off as a vacation day, only tomorrow do we get a off day as for state employees i don't know they may have, so as they say on the gieco commmercial research it 1st

Elmo T
07-03-06, 02:33 PM
Our office (local gov't) was originally open, but so many here took vacation days they closed to the public. Those of us who didn't take off are here, but the phones are turned off and the doors are locked. :shakehead

ChampcarShark
07-03-06, 04:53 PM
I am working too, but not answering the phone.

It has been slow, very little clients. I was one of the unucky ones to not get any time off approved. In a department of 14 people, 5 of us did not get permission to be sick or take vacation.

3 of them do not have any available time off, the other person said she rather be here than at home, and I just forgot to ask for the day off.

KLang
07-03-06, 06:01 PM
I took a vacation day. Of course I got called at midnight last night and spent a couple hours fixing a system problem. :cry: I hate trying to figure out work stuff after too much beer and wine. :saywhat:

Cam
07-03-06, 06:26 PM
I took a vacation day. Of course I got called at midnight last night and spent a couple hours fixing a system problem. :cry: I hate trying to figure out work stuff after too much beer and wine. :saywhat:

I have solved many a system f-up with the assistance of beer. :D

nz_climber
07-04-06, 05:45 AM
we don't get 4th of July, so I am busy working!

HAPPY 4TH JULY to all you americains out there :cool:

cart7
07-04-06, 07:10 AM
I worked yesterday, I was plenty busy. It was nice going home with no traffic to deal with.

Insomniac
07-04-06, 07:28 AM
A lot of state employees in NJ will be getting a lot of days off...

I was working. Place was dead, most gov't employees were out and most contractors too. I just worked on a report and replied to e-mail. I'm a good boss. I let my entire team take the day off while I stuck around to have a "presense" in the office.

Joelski
07-04-06, 08:57 AM
July 3rd (and 4th, Christmas, New Year's Day, etc... for that matter) is a day like any other in keeping the country running. Perhaps the government is proudly showing what it does on any other day by having its employees sitting on their hands? No offense, but the privelege of working on holidays (and making insane ot pay) comes with certain professions. Personally, I would love it if everyone would refrain from dialing 9-1-1 while I catch up on much needed sleep, but that ain't gonna happen. Yet I continue to cash that paycheck, so I can't complain too much!

Car-B-Q
07-05-06, 10:52 PM
i'm a DOD employee, we do not get it off and neither did any federal employee unless they took today off as a vacation day, only tomorrow do we get a off day as for state employees i don't know they may have, so as they say on the gieco commmercial research it 1st
You're in the wrong section of the DoD (but I'm just one of those damn contractors that work for the DoD). We got the 3rd off and damn the luck, my vacation started on the 5th!

Insomniac
07-06-06, 08:14 AM
You're in the wrong section of the DoD (but I'm just one of those damn contractors that work for the DoD). We got the 3rd off and damn the luck, my vacation started on the 5th!

All federal employees holidays are determined by the the federal government.

http://www.opm.gov/Fedhol/2006.asp

Contractor's holidays are determined by their company.

Warlock!
07-06-06, 08:38 AM
Why is it that the government employees have to work the monday before 4th of July?
Probably to make up for MLK Jr Day, President's Day, and Columbus Day when the rest of the world works.

race chica
07-06-06, 01:39 PM
Probably to make up for MLK Jr Day, President's Day, and Columbus Day when the rest of the world works.

I will be back in college then, so it will be like taking 1/2 days. Only one more semester and then it is a college diploma for me :) How many days until Christmas? :laugh:

RacinM3
07-06-06, 06:47 PM
Seriously, we should just officially name it "Independence Day" with the knowledge that July 4th is the event we're celebrating, and change the holiday to the first Friday in July, similar to how Memorial Day and Labor Day are celebrated (on Mondays only).

What is wrong with this plan? It gives me 2 whole days to recover from the hangover, and eliminates the nastiness of having to tell employees that no, they can't have the day off.

Sean O'Gorman
07-06-06, 06:55 PM
But 4th of July on a Tuesday meant I got to autocross in the middle of the work week. :)

Ankf00
07-06-06, 07:02 PM
July 3rd is what vacation days are for. That and an extra day of drinking & grilling.

Warlock!
07-07-06, 07:29 AM
What is wrong with this plan? It gives me 2 whole days to recover from the hangover...
So you're saying that if you have that Friday off to drink, you won't drink that Saturday or Sunday? Yeah... I believe that...

:D

Car-B-Q
07-07-06, 07:47 AM

Contractor's holidays are determined by their company.
We work when our DoD guys work. They were all off on the 3rd, so were we (I believe the base commander made the call for the 3rd being a down day). Of course, I've had to work a lot of other holidays, just because our DoD guys were working those days as well. What comes around, goes around.

Ankf00
07-07-06, 09:24 AM
I wish we could have holiday when our German & Italian program partners have theirs, sadly the company thinks otherwise :( Better yet would've been if I was here during the 90's on this other intl program when there were Frenchies here who would work 5 hour days and take Friday off :D

trauma1
07-07-06, 11:02 AM

Contractor's holidays are determined by their company.,

thank you, only the pres can give an extra day off, otherwise work or take vacation day

cameraman
07-07-06, 12:49 PM
That would be wrong. If you work for the Judicial branch the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court makes those decisions. He can give the Federal Court a day off if he wants to - and neither the Congress nor the President can say or do diddly-squat about it.

pfc_m_drake
07-07-06, 09:16 PM
I have solved many a system f-up with the assistance of beer. :D

rm -fr * executed as root from / doesn't count!

:D

Insomniac
07-08-06, 08:58 AM
Seriously, we should just officially name it "Independence Day" with the knowledge that July 4th is the event we're celebrating, and change the holiday to the first Friday in July, similar to how Memorial Day and Labor Day are celebrated (on Mondays only).

What is wrong with this plan?

The Declaration of Independence was signed on July 4, 1776, not the first friday in July 1776. It's an anniversary date.