PDA

View Full Version : Flowmasters?

Turn7
04-09-03, 03:33 PM
I am considering putting a set of flowmasters on my truck to improve the airflow for performance and gas milage improvments.

However, it has the Ford V10 in it and I am afraid that it will sound like a out of tune crapwagon.

Any thoughts?

GG

racer2c
04-09-03, 04:31 PM
Is that a pushrod V10 and does it have a single exhaust? The reason I ask is because I have an overhead cam V8 in my Dakota and the research shows that duals with free flowing exhaust can actually rob horsepower on that particular engine. The pushrod guys see a gain.

Do you have K&N filters? There might be a few chips out for fuel mappings that you could try also. Some change the torque curve such as better off the line grunt with better cruising fuel mileage.

The hotrodders I communicate with like the Flowmasters and the Dynomax Ultraflows.

Turn7
04-09-03, 04:47 PM
Yes I have a K&N filter and yes it is a SOHC engine.

I have looked on a few ford truck forums but, I find as many people saying that it is good as it is bad.

Ziggy
04-09-03, 08:11 PM
Im being serious here

You need to look up Billy Boats exhaust company out in Arizona!!!

I think he could use the work, Indy's coming up you know...

I would imagine they would give you the straight dope on the subject. Its a good question, and one that I have not thought about it. It would seem to have several pro's and con's. There are alot of custom exhaust companies out there.

On the subject of carburated engines with single camshafts, either hydraulic or mechanical lifters, I would recommend Flowmasters. I have bought several sets, for both types of engines. They are very nice. You need to consider which style of chamber design you would need. Do you want it to increase HP? Do you want it to just sound cool? Do you want it to compliment the overlap on the cam duration?
(its always a good idea to see if the type you want will even fit under the vehicle) DUH, been there, done that.

You need to talk with a tech guy, and one that you can trust. For this style of engine, Im sure someone in the SVO division of Ford could point you towards a company, or give you enough info to come up with a decision on your own.

Ziggy

RacinM3
04-10-03, 12:33 AM
Boats company is b&b exhaust, and I think the brand name is tri-flow. I had one on an M5 and it made a tiny bit more power but sounded a HELL of a lot better.

Wheel-Nut
04-10-03, 11:23 AM
T7,

I hope you aren't turning into a redneck!! Are glasspacks next? Did you pick up one of those "Pass with care, driver chews tobbaco" bumper stickers!!?

Turn7
04-10-03, 11:50 AM
No, I am not wanting a loud ass redneck truck. I am looking for better gas milage without hurting the ummmphh needed to yank my boat down the road.

Thats all.

Wheel-Nut
04-10-03, 12:18 PM
Good to know! When I had my little Ranger I increased air flow every way I could within reason. K & N filter, removed the air baffle to the intake. The next step was to have the heads ported and polished which would have been expensive but the hp gain would have been worth the cost.

Now about this boat. Offshore?

mapguy
04-10-03, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Wheel-Nut

Now about this boat. Offshore?

Fishin' :gomer:

Wheel-Nut
04-10-03, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
Fishin' :gomer:

That and another excuse to drink mass quantities of beer without the wife telling me how much beer I drink!!:rofl:

Turn7
04-10-03, 01:52 PM
Nope. Bay boat.