PDA

View Full Version : How CC can Kick Legault in his ecclestones and ecclestone in his legault

SurfaceUnits
07-01-06, 09:19 AM
There is a month from the DP01 debut at SJ until the Montreal race.
Why not have a demo at Montreal with the Cosworth pumping 850+
rev limited to 15k+ and AJ laying down some hot laps. I'm sure the
guys at Cosworh would love to see the engine turned loose for once,
and the quebecois can see what legault and bernie are shutting them
out of.

Oh yeah, have Michele Jourdain Jr. bring his bush league tincan for an
ontrack comparison.

Andrew Longman
07-01-06, 09:47 AM
Frankly, that's a great idea.

Bring it to every race the rest of the year to show off things to come and build excitement.

Also show CC, Atlantics and other teams that the things exists and will be a lot of fun.

Will gather lots of PR and press and a few more pounds per square in on TG

TravelGal
07-01-06, 01:34 PM
It is a great idea but what is the difference between "debut" and "testing" which is to start on August 15?

PS, the title of the thread is great too. ;)

SurfaceUnits
07-01-06, 02:14 PM
I believe the debut is just the first public showing of the car.

Insomniac
07-01-06, 02:37 PM
Teams may have a problem with another driver getting track time with the DP01. They could just as well do this with a ChampCar. More power + softer tires would probably put it quite close to F1.

However, I'd personally think it's a bad idea. To show off an "exaggerated" version of the car would only make the final product seem slow in comparison. Those of us here would understand why, but a lot of people may wonder why.

SurfaceUnits
07-01-06, 03:24 PM
kick em in the teeth while you have the opportunity. Testing and refinement between aug'06 and mar'07 and the new motor will negate most of the egzajerations. This isn't a game of backyard horseshoes we're dealing with.

Sean O'Gorman
07-01-06, 03:29 PM
One type of car going faster than another car isn't going to be a big deal, because if you ask me, 90% of fans can't tell the difference.

SurfaceUnits
07-01-06, 03:30 PM
The purpose is to demonstrate the capability of the new champcar and more importantly to kick two jackholes when you have the chance.

it's not about some people who won't remember or 90% who don't know. Besides 99% of the 90% will have had a beer or two between aug'06 and mar'07

Sean O'Gorman
07-01-06, 03:34 PM
One car going around a track isn't going to stop NASCAR from coming to town. :laugh:

SurfaceUnits
07-01-06, 03:36 PM
One car going around a track isn't going to stop NASCAR from coming to town. :laugh:you missed the point, on your head Let's see, someone heavily involved with champcar's future owns a track between TO and Montreal, I wonder who that could be?

Sean O'Gorman
07-01-06, 04:04 PM
Surely you aren't talking about Mosport?

L1P1
07-01-06, 07:10 PM
I love it. I don't think it would change things, but it would be a good parting shot. If it did work, they'd have to pump up the entire field to 850HP to meet expectations for the resulting '07 race.

But if it were done, a Canadian driver should be in the seat.

oddlycalm
07-01-06, 07:19 PM
One type of car going faster than another car isn't going to be a big deal, because if you ask me, 90% of fans can't tell the difference. I didn't seen anyone asking you and it's obvious that you're talking about US race fans. Obviously you haven't attended many (any?) Canadian races. What is true is that 90% of the frickin cab drivers in Toronto could school you on Champ Car or F1 as could most of the folks in the stands, not that it's a very tall challenge.

oc

SurfaceUnits
07-01-06, 07:49 PM
But if it were done, a Canadian driver should be in the seat.That is one reason I suggested AJ, his fiance just informed him that he was moving to TO. what a wuss.

Sean O'Gorman
07-01-06, 07:52 PM
I didn't seen anyone asking you and it's obvious that you're talking about US race fans. Obviously you haven't attended many (any?) Canadian races. What is true is that 90% of the frickin cab drivers in Toronto could school you on Champ Car or F1 as could most of the folks in the stands, not that it's a very tall challenge.

oc

So what does this have to do with the topic at hand? :shakehead

I've seen Champ Cars running 850-900 hp, and I've seen them running 700-750 hp. I can't tell the difference, and running one car around a track with 100 extra hp isn't going to change anyone's opinion one way or another.

As for the fanatism of the Canadian fans, remove PT, Tagliani, and Ranger, and tell me how much they'll care.

L1P1
07-01-06, 08:06 PM
Track Record (albeit, unofficial). That would provide a couple of years worth of "Yeah, but...."'s. I think those kinds of things were what put Champ/Indy Car racing arguably on the same plane as F1 in the Mansell years. Along with Mansell himself, of course.

Dr. Corkski
07-01-06, 09:11 PM
Or they could just go to the F1 race. :laugh:

TravelGal
07-01-06, 09:15 PM
I believe the debut is just the first public showing of the car.

Exactly. So are we saying this puppy is ready to roll, or ready to be tested?

SurfaceUnits
07-01-06, 09:15 PM
Ready for testing

No they couldn't :laugh:

JT265
07-01-06, 11:22 PM
So what does this have to do with the topic at hand? :shakehead

I've seen Champ Cars running 850-900 hp, and I've seen them running 700-750 hp. I can't tell the difference, and running one car around a track with 100 extra hp isn't going to change anyone's opinion one way or another.

As for the fanatism of the Canadian fans, remove PT, Tagliani, and Ranger, and tell me how much they'll care.

About Champ Car? Agreed. F1 in Quebec however ranks somewhere just below hockey in terms of fanaticism. Maybe nascar can capture some of that joie de vive.

But I doubt it. Year one will be attended out of curiosity.

Now as to the topic at hand, if CCWS put Oncle Jacques in a current Champ Car and went on a province wide promo tour, there would be an insurrecton on Ile Notre Dame concerning nascar. So of course they won't do it. :laugh:

coolhand
07-02-06, 04:20 AM
Turning up the HP wont do as much as putting a more expensive tire compound on the cars. Lap timewise.

pchall
07-02-06, 06:20 AM
Turning up the HP wont do as much as putting a more expensive tire compound on the cars. Lap timewise.

Of course, cranking the boost will make the car a twitching beast coming out of the corners and that's what I want to see...

oddlycalm
07-02-06, 06:01 PM
remove PT, Tagliani, and Ranger, and tell me how much they'll care. In that case the 38 non-Canadians in pig iron pokers lumbering around should be a big hit. I'm sure a couple of obligatory CASCAR guys droning around well off the tepid pace will excite the home town fans.

oc

Sean O'Gorman
07-02-06, 06:49 PM
In that case the 38 non-Canadians in pig iron pokers lumbering around should be a big hit. I'm sure a couple of obligatory CASCAR guys droning around well off the tepid pace will excite the home town fans.

oc

I never said I expect NASCAR to be successful beyond the first year novelty. Obviously that would change with a front running ringer for that particular weekend.

SurfaceUnits
07-02-06, 09:45 PM
It is a great idea but what is the difference between "debut" and "testing" which is to start on August 15? just heard that the car will be tested July 12th at Braselton

FanofMario
07-02-06, 10:58 PM
I just hope the DP01 tests well. I would hate to see what would happen if it wasn't up to par in a public demonstration. There is one hell of a lot riding on the success of that chassis. Let's just take our time and make sure we have a good car before we take it public!

FCYTravis
07-03-06, 06:39 PM
Ironic that we have three decent Canadian drivers in the series, and there's a bunch of Canadian fans along for the ride.

Yet talk about getting American drivers in the series to attract American fans, and it's "xenophobia" and "affirmative action."

:rolleyes: