PDA

View Full Version : THE unOFFICIAL 2007 Silly Season Thread

SurfaceUnits
07-01-06, 08:02 AM
As late as Saturday afternoon, Kalkhoven was quietly revealing his strategy for Champ Car going into the 2007 season.

"There are two separate parts," Kalkhoven said. "One is a unification part, one is a stand-alone Champ Car part. The one I'm focused on is the stand-alone Champ Car part. We'll have a couple of new events, which will be great events. I'm sure we're going to get Las Vegas and Phoenix. We're going to maintain things like Long Beach, Road America.

"We're going to have a new car. It's going to be much more economic to run. It will be lighter, faster, cheaper to operate, which means new teams will be able to afford it. I think we will get very, very close racing. Anyone can win. That will be exciting, the uncertainty of what happens."

"If we can add a couple of new teams for next year that will be a first in a long time that has happened," he said, and fully expects that to happen at least from some in the bulging 29-car field in Atlantics.

"There will be a new version of our current engine. A bit more power but again, cheaper to operate, with more 'push to pass.' What do fans come to see? They come to see close racing, overtaking and spills to be blunt about it. By putting everybody on the same playing field, we'll get close racing. By allowing more power with 'push to pass,' we'll have more strategic overtaking. As for spills, we obviously don't want them, but realistically to have the other two we will get a few of the other."

Read Kevin's unMergification statements here: (http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1151570532122510.xml&coll=2)

btw, is anyone surprised that, with mumbles involved, things are proceeding slowly? that's a trick question. Things aren't proceeding and won't until mumbles is removed from the equation.

Insomniac
07-01-06, 08:25 AM
Glad KK and company are avoiding pitfalss of the past. :thumbup:

SurfaceUnits
07-26-06, 11:07 PM
Gentilozzi said he doubts the Montreal race will exist beyond this year but added that the Netherlands is on tap soon, while Kalkhoven said there will be a new event in Phoenix at the end of 2007.

racer2c
07-26-06, 11:18 PM
"There is no timetable," Kalkhoven said. "I believe there will be unification, but I can't put a timetable on it. Time is not the issue, getting it done right is the issue."

Or in other words if we just wait another year the only thing left in the IRL will be Penske and Ganassi.

rabbit
07-26-06, 11:21 PM
Read Kevin's unMergification statements here: (http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1151570532122510.xml&coll=2)

Thursday, June 29, 2006

SurfaceUnits
07-27-06, 12:25 AM
^^^ Did something magical happen on that date?

rabbit
07-27-06, 12:28 AM
^^^ Did something magical happen on that date?
That's the date the article you quoted was published.

SurfaceUnits
07-29-06, 12:08 PM
and the aticle was quoted on Saturday, July 1, 2006. 30 days have September, April, June, and November. All the rest have 31 except for February which has 29 sometimes, but 28 usually.

Now for Marxie's next big headline, frontpage egsclusive:

World Cup juniors versus Toronto GP
How can 2007 race run during Under 20 tourney at Ex?
Jul. 29, 2006. 01:00 AM
NORRIS MCDONALD

Grand Prix Toronto (née Molson Indy) has two big hurdles to clear as it starts planning for 2007:

# Who will be the title sponsor? Molson is likely over and out.

# How will it compete against the FIFA Under 20 World Cup soccer tournament here in town? Many of the games will be held next July at that brand spanking new soccer stadium they're building over at the CNE, which is exactly when and where they hold the car race every year.

In keeping with OC article quotation guidelines:
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1153997648895&call_pageid=970599119419

Accipiter
07-29-06, 12:33 PM
Canadians aren't drinking as much beer any more, for starters.

:eek:

Cam
07-29-06, 12:39 PM
Canadians aren't drinking as much beer any more, for starters.

:eek:

I call BS! I know for a fact that if anyone slips on their quota DM makes up for it personally! ;)

devilmaster
07-29-06, 01:37 PM
I would have gotten away with going sober too, if it hadn't been for these damn meddling kids!

Racing Truth
07-29-06, 02:00 PM
Gentilozzi said he doubts the Montreal race will exist beyond this year but added that the Netherlands is on tap soon, while Kalkhoven said there will be a new event in Phoenix at the end of 2007.

Oh happy day! A Netherlands street show! :gomer:

rabbit
07-29-06, 02:02 PM
"If there are two things I can't stand, it's people who are intolerant of other cultures, and the Dutch."

cameraman
07-29-06, 02:05 PM

One would hope a Netherlands road show

This color scheme would go over well with the Dutch
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2006/By800/20060729P_0006.jpg

Racing Truth
07-29-06, 02:06 PM
"If there are two things I can't stand, it's people who are intolerant of other cultures, and the Dutch."

:laugh: But hey, pot and prostitution (IIRC) are legal, so it might not be all bad. ;)

Kidding people, kidding.

Dr. Corkski
07-29-06, 02:06 PM
Oh happy day! A Netherlands street show! :gomer:But when a man of honesty and integrity like Paul Gentilozzi says it's going to happen, you know it will only be done right, just like his race team and Trans-Am. :gomer:

Racing Truth
07-29-06, 02:07 PM
One would hope a Netherlands road show

Well, I'd also hope for Arab/Israeli peace too, but that's not happening soon either.

cameraman
07-29-06, 02:09 PM
Isn't the rumor a race at the Assen MotoGP track? :confused: :confused:

SurfaceUnits
07-29-06, 03:01 PM
http://www.tt-assen.com/cms/DutchTT-MotoGP-1100.html

Edit:

From raceworld.tv

Pastorelli and Champcar Assen
hilversum | 19-07-2006

After studying and negotiating a draft contract made by Champcar, a delegation of Dutch Promotors and investors will travel tomorrow July 20th to Edmonton Canada.
By invitation Of Champcar both parties will discuss details and will try to reach a final agreement for bringing back Champcar to Europe in 2007.
Assen Is the great Vennue.
The race is planned in September 2007 and will also appear on the 2008 and 2009 Calendar, spokesman say.
Backbone for the promotors is the attendance of Dutch Champcar ace Nicky Pastorelli in his home race and the 2007 Champcar season, Whilst racing the new Panoz designed car.
Topped with the other Dutch Racer Charles Zwolsman and the fact of Assen beiing a 'nearly' Home race for Belgian star Jan Heylen, promotors and of course thousands of European Champcar fans are looking very much forward to this event, Fans will have the long waited opportunity to see their favorite cars on European home ground wich also means a new breaktrough in Champcar History.

NismoZ
07-29-06, 09:49 PM
Right. The problem now seems to be finding a 2nd Sept. European site to pair up with Assen to make the costly trip worthwhile. Morocco has most often been mentioned. (Malta!? :eek: ) But being out of country in Oct. also at Surfers and Mexico City leaves a big gap without a US race. (RA in Sept. '06 but likely Aug. of '07) Other US venues are asking in (San Antonio is one) and are being considered also. Sounds like a nice problem to have.

Dr. Corkski
07-29-06, 09:54 PM
Casablanca street race. :rofl:

At least they won't run out of sand for beach volleyball. :gomer:

Insomniac
07-29-06, 09:55 PM
Right. The problem now seems to be finding a 2nd Sept. European site to pair up with Assen to make the costly trip worthwhile. Morocco has most often been mentioned. But being out of country in Oct. also at Surfers and Mexico City leaves a big gap without a US race. (RA in Sept. '06 but likely Aug. of '07) Other US venues are asking in (San Antonio is one)) and are being considered also. Sounds like a nice problem to have.

F1 might drop Imola...

Dr. Corkski
07-29-06, 09:56 PM
More likely Hockenheim.

NismoZ
07-29-06, 10:06 PM
Good observations but Hockenheim might be part of a rotation in German GP venues and I'm not certain CC needs to stir up Bernie in any way. I wish CC had been able to beat A1GP to Durban (hardly Europe) but that race was well received and one of their most successful events. Teaming with GP Masters at Kyalami couldn't miss either. That thing was BIG this year! (heck, they run '99 NA Reynard CCs, don't they?) I wish I knew why the long circuit at Brands isn't being considered. I thought all the changes would make it an attractive venue. Couldn't be narrower/tighter than Assen, could it? San Jose is narrower than Assen, so why talk about that anymore?

devilmaster
07-30-06, 12:50 AM
If its 'close enough' for Belgium, then hopefully someone has thought of calling InBev, which used to be Interbrew, which owns the Labatt's chain.....

If Molson is truly gone, it'd be nice to see a Labatt's sponsorship or even better an Alexander Keith's sponsorship.....

They own Beck's too, and iirc, that was a F1 Jaguar sponsor, no?

Spicoli
07-30-06, 10:34 AM
They own Beck's too, and iirc, that was a F1 Jaguar sponsor, no?

http://homepage2.nifty.com/masa-k/f-1/01-2.jpg

extramundane
07-30-06, 10:37 AM
Maybe Beck's will sponser Rahal cuz they did so well together at Jag-war! :gomer:

Jayblues
07-30-06, 12:07 PM
Right. The problem now seems to be finding a 2nd Sept. European site to pair up with Assen to make the costly trip worthwhile. Morocco has most often been mentioned. (Malta!? :eek: ) But being out of country in Oct. also at Surfers and Mexico City leaves a big gap without a US race. (RA in Sept. '06 but likely Aug. of '07) Other US venues are asking in (San Antonio is one) and are being considered also. Sounds like a nice problem to have.

Now i know that Puerto Rico is not in Europe but i havent heard this possibility come up in a while. What about a race there? Has been suggested before!

Andrew Longman
07-30-06, 12:23 PM
Now i know that Puerto Rico is not in Europe but i havent heard this possibility come up in a while. What about a race there? Has been suggested before!

The airport track at Areopuerto De la Isla Grande across from Old San Juan was a great location and a good track for Trans Am. And since my wife grew up there I could probably get her to agree to a "romantic Caribbean weekend getaway" (of racing). :D

SurfaceUnits
08-02-06, 01:58 PM
Good (and bad) news for Houston Grand Prix

By Tony Sakkis
Correspondent
http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=3cc4b432c3a714c2

Published August 2, 2006

The good news is that it’s back.

The bad news is that we don’t really know for how long.

The Grand Prix of Houston has a date penciled in with Champ Car: at Reliant Park again, but this time April 20-22.

That part is good news. The date has the race as the third of the season, allowing it to slot in after a rumored new race at Las Vegas and the traditional opener in Long Beach. It also allows local fans to firm up a long-term race date weeks after the Houston Rodeo and prior to the Houston Texans using Reliant Stadium.

In addition, the April date keeps it out of the month of May. That means we won’t interfere with the Indy 500 or any of the practice or qualifying.

The Houston Grand Prix was a success, but was it enough of one to be grated an encore? Or a permanent date?

The 2007 season, like last May, will once again feature a spectacular combination of racing from the American Le Mans Series and Champ Car World Series as well as with support series like the Atlantic Series.

But according to one insider, the MiJack promotion and the Mike Lanigan management is in good standing with the Champ Car people. The race last May was, according to Champ Car, a good one. So good that sources say with or without reunification, Champ Car and Houston will be together for many years.

Some things about the race will change. Unlike last year, the Grand Prix will move to a traditional Friday-through-Sunday format, rather than Thursday-through-Saturday as in 2006. Night racing will only continue with the American Le Mans Series taking place in the evening of April 21. The event will headline the Champ Car race on the afternoon of April 22.

Texas loves racing. And Texas Motor Speedway is not just too far, it’s an oval. The combined series will have plenty of them already. Not that we want that race to go away, we just want ours here, too.

Insiders say don’t worry. We’re safe. Logic suggests otherwise. Next year’s event should give us an indication of how things will go.

For the time being, we have a race to host in 2007. That, at least, is still good news.

Tickets for the 2007 Grand Prix of Houston will go on sale this fall.

For more information on the Grand Prix of Houston, visit www.grandprixofhouston.com.

cameraman
08-02-06, 02:36 PM
Insiders say don’t worry. We’re safe. Logic suggests otherwise.

He just needs to relax, using normal logic on openwheel racing will only give you a headache.

KLang
08-02-06, 02:56 PM
:confused: The 'bad news' is just wild speculation with no facts. :confused:

There is actually one potiential wrinkle on the horizon, plans are firming up to turn the Astrodome into a big hotel/entertainment complex. One part of the plan is to build a parking garage next to the dome. The article I read didn't specify where 'next to the dome' was. Hopefully not where the current track runs.

NismoZ
08-03-06, 11:11 AM
A new parking garage? Not to worry. I see "Tokyo Drift" turns in a new track layout.

Ed_Severson
08-03-06, 11:30 AM
Glad to hear that Houston will be moving to a Friday-through-Sunday format. As cool as racing under the lights was, the event schedule was pretty strange relative to most of the other races.

Accipiter
08-08-06, 12:06 PM
From the Robim Miller chat:

Question: What new Champ Car teams/owners are you hearing about for 2007?
Miller: Bob Gelles is coming from atlantics and Polestar would like to but that's still iffy. Maybe one Grand Am team but nobody from the IRL I'm aware of. Everybody thinks Rahal is moving his team, not so. He just wants to get his son in Newman/Haas equipment.

So what Grand Am team do you think? Finlay Motorsports with Michael McDowell?

TKGAngel
08-08-06, 12:13 PM
The mom unit got an email this morning from the Grand Prix of Cleveland people, saying that the 2007 race is going to be June 22-24.

extramundane
08-08-06, 02:11 PM

Maybe Rocketsports will field a CC team next year.

Accipiter
08-08-06, 04:34 PM
Maybe Rocketsports will field a CC team next year.

:laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

Accipiter
09-02-06, 04:56 PM
So is this what were looking at for next season?

Newman - Haas:
1. Sebastian Bourdais
2. Bruno Junqueria?
Graham Rahal?

PKV:
1. Oriol Servia
2. Kathrine Legge

Forsythe:
1. Paul Tracy
2. A.J. Allmendinger?

CTE/HVM:
1. Dan Clark?
2. Nelson Philippe?

RuSport:
1. Justin Wilson
2. Dario Franchitti?
Cristiano da Matta? (hopefully he'll be in driving condtion)

Conquest:
1. Andrew Ranger?
2. Charles Zwolsman?

Team Australia:
1. Will Power?
2. Alex Tagliani?

PCM:
1. Alex Figge
2. Ryan Dalziel

Gelles
1. Robbie Pecorari?
2. Colin Fleming?
Phil Giebler?

Rocketsports:
1. $?
2. $?

Coyne:
1. $?
2. $?

coolhand
09-02-06, 05:15 PM
Red bull driver with PKV

theunions
09-02-06, 05:17 PM
So is this what were looking at for next season?

Gelles
1. Robbie Pecorari?
2. Colin Fleming?
Phil Giebler?

I thought they already said they were keeping Robbie in Atlantic next season.

Bring on Phil!!!

Tocaccelo to replace Ranger @ Conquest?

theunions
09-02-06, 05:19 PM

Michael's going ARCA'ing the rest of the year (skipped Sears Point GA in favor of making his ARCA debut at Milwaukee) with an eye on ARCA or BGN full time next season.

TKGAngel
09-02-06, 06:08 PM
Isnt Franchitti allegedly going to PKV next year?

Lizzerd
09-02-06, 07:11 PM
I hate to say it, but I think Cristiano has driven his last race.

If Simon Pagenaud wins the Atlantic title, you can likely put him in one of the $? seats, too.

Accipiter
09-02-06, 08:21 PM
Michael's going ARCA'ing the rest of the year (skipped Sears Point GA in favor of making his ARCA debut at Milwaukee) with an eye on ARCA or BGN full time next season.

I know, it sucks. That was an old post.

Also during the last Grand Am race, Colin Braun talked about his NASCAR aspirations. A 17-year-old who drives a sports car as fast as Jorg Bergmeister in his rookie season shouldn't be headed for tin tops.

:shakehead

Red bull driver with PKV

In place of Servia or Legge?

Isnt Franchitti allegedly going to PKV next year?

In place of Servia or Legge?

I think it would be crazy to commit to Kathrine for a race seat this year, only to toos her to the weeds next. If everybody is headed for PKV, maybe she will be farmed out to one of the $? seats.

Insomniac
09-04-06, 09:59 AM
Given the PCM announcement and the fact that it looks like no one is leaving Champ Car for 07 this is what I see right now:

Minimum of 21 cars if you assume Rocketsports will have one car. 23 cars are possible (2 cars at Rocketsports and 1 more N-H car for Graham).

It looks promising and it's only September. Announcements are slowly happening earlier and earlier year after year. This is a good sign in my opinion. Although, they did miss on announcing their 07 schedule in August. :)

cameraman
09-04-06, 12:25 PM
Although, they did miss on announcing their 07 schedule in August. :) I've been talking to some of the powers-that-be at MMP in Utah and they said that all four major events, ALMS, AMA, Historics and Grand Am (those are listed by decending crowd size btw) are returning next year plus they are in negiotiations for some other headline events that they can not speak of yet...

Insomniac
09-04-06, 03:24 PM
I've been talking to some of the powers-that-be at MMP in Utah and they said that all four major events, ALMS, AMA, Historics and Grand Am (those are listed by decending crowd size btw) are returning next year plus they are in negiotiations for some other headline events that they can not speak of yet...

Hehe, I wasn't too upset about it. I figured it's not finalized, which is okay. My main point was, the earlier things get announced/committed to, the better the overall health of the series is IMO.

coolhand
09-04-06, 03:28 PM
I think it would be crazy to commit to Kathrine for a race seat this year, only to toos her to the weeds next. If everybody is headed for PKV, maybe she will be farmed out to one of the $? seats.

She may have a ride, but does it have to be with PKV?

Insomniac
09-04-06, 04:14 PM
She may have a ride, but does it have to be with PKV?

That would make the most sense if they want to have continuity and give her the best chance. If they bounce her to another team, seems like they'd be doing it just to keep her in the series, not because they believe she can win.

Spicoli
09-04-06, 05:03 PM
That would make the most sense if they want to have continuity and give her the best chance. If they bounce her to another team, seems like they'd be doing it just to keep her in the series, not because they believe she can win.

kinda like this tard:

http://www.radio-canada.ca/lib/v1/img/chroniques/grosses/Alexandre_Tagliani.jpg

:p

Insomniac
09-04-06, 05:56 PM
kinda like this tard:

http://www.radio-canada.ca/lib/v1/img/chroniques/grosses/Alexandre_Tagliani.jpg

:p

That was the only year Rocketsports didn't suck!