PDA

View Full Version : San Jose

TravelGal
06-28-06, 02:04 AM
Sheesh, you people are futher behind than I am. No thread yet on San Jose.

Anyone going?

I'm just beginning to try to figure out the logistics.

Any hints?

Sean O'Gorman
06-28-06, 07:23 AM
Any hints?

Umm, don't go?

;)

TravelGal
06-28-06, 09:17 AM
Umm, don't go?

;)

that's our Sean-y. Always a ray of sunshine. :p

Sean O'Gorman
06-28-06, 06:05 PM
:D

TravelGal
06-28-06, 06:13 PM
LOL! Well in true "now I've kicked it in gear" fashion, I found the Hyatt for $89 a night and the CCIC discount for the tickets. I booked the Hyatt but got interrupted before I could finish the ticket order. :rolleyes:

Gnam
06-28-06, 07:49 PM
Is it the Hyatt on 1st Street or the Sainte Clair? The Sainte Clair is right next to the track, but the one on 1st Street is several miles north of the track. You can ride the light rail to the track and cross the tracks just like the Champ Cars do!

TravelGal
06-29-06, 01:07 AM
Thanks so much Gnam. Now I feel better. It is the one several miles north of the track. Almost by the airport. It's 6 light rail stops, I think. As long as it really is "just across the street" it's okay. I was once told a hotel was "just across the street" and the "street" turned out to be 12 lanes (including all the turn lanes) of I 95!

I hope you were joking when you said we would be going "over the track like the cars do" that could mean the rail will not be working until they take down the barriers. That could be pretty late. Oy, the things we do for an $89 dollar a night room.

BTW, got the tickets, thanks to Manic and his telling me who to call. If you still need seats, he's THE MAN with the information!

CARTNUT
06-29-06, 03:50 AM
Oooooh, The Hyatt by the airport. We stayed there a few years back and were not impressed with the room, although the hotel grounds and pool area were beautiful! It is a very old hotel with lots of rose bushes, trees, and pathways around the pool which was very nice, but the room we were in appeared as though it had not been upgraded since the 50's. It had sloppily painted bathroom cabinets and open shelving, and 1" tiles on entry way and bathroom floors and countertops that had pieces replaced over the years that didn't match. Also, the wall A/C unit was very loud and had no thermostat - it just ran and it got too cold so we had to turn it off. Then we had to turn it back on when it got too hot. Also, the building we were in had no elevator. I'm sure this hotel does have some nice rooms but I booked it through Hotwire and got a great "Deal!" This experience is part of the reason we don't do the San Jose race. Good Luck!

TravelGal
06-29-06, 11:48 AM
CARTNUT, you may have just saved me from a disaster. To quote TripAdvisor:

"this was on our approved hotels list for business travel so I didnt think to do any research. It is a Hyatt. Come on."

I assumed "Hyatt quality" so I didn't research it. I'd rather stay in a nice Comfort Inn than a not so nice Hyatt. Assumption is the mother of a F**k ups. Back to the drawing board!

Ankf00
06-29-06, 11:53 AM
Crash with Cork's parents :gomer: You can fill 'em in on all the recent goings ons ;)

Fitti Fan
06-29-06, 12:34 PM
Have they figured out how to turn down the heat there yet?

RichK
06-29-06, 12:48 PM
We'll be there, along with a bunch of racing newbies. Probably Saturday.

CARTNUT
06-29-06, 06:50 PM
CARTNUT, you may have just saved me from a disaster. To quote TripAdvisor:

"this was on our approved hotels list for business travel so I didnt think to do any research. It is a Hyatt. Come on."

I assumed "Hyatt quality" so I didn't research it. I'd rather stay in a nice Comfort Inn than a not so nice Hyatt. Assumption is the mother of a F**k ups. Back to the drawing board!

No Prob! Glad to help! Might I suggest the Wyndham down the street. Not a bad little hotel, newer rooms although a bit on the smaller side, but it has a restaurant/bar in the lobby and is also right off the light rail line. AND it's CHEAPER than the Hyatt!

Now, if it sucks, don't blame me.

'NUT :gomer:

TravelGal
06-30-06, 04:26 PM
I dunno. The more I read, the worse it gets. Seems like nobody likes any hotel. LOL! The Wyndham did not get very good reviews either. "broken glass in the parking lot" sort of stuff. Ugh.

After cancelling my Hyatt reservation I had someone I've met at several races write to me and say he and his whole family stay there every year. This is why it's difficult to choose hotels, for myself (or for other people). You have to know them and what they expect AND the hotel to make an intelligent decision.

At the moment, I'm more concerned about the light rail. If I stay north of the track, how will that work? They close the connection between Convention and the Children's Museum stop during race days. A friend of mine in SJ is trying to find out from VTA.

Gnam
06-30-06, 06:38 PM
Don't worry about the light rail. From your hotel on 1st Street, the track will be the last stop. The closed section is after your stop.

TravelGal
06-30-06, 07:07 PM
Don't worry about the light rail. From your hotel on 1st Street, the track will be the last stop. The closed section is after your stop.

Doesn't it depend on where you're going? I'm, um, heading for hospitality, which (if it's the same place as last year), is over by the Museum entrance to the track. By grandstands 1 and 2.

Gnam
06-30-06, 07:56 PM
Yeah. You're gonna have to walk across the width of the track including two bridges to get there.

manic mechanic
06-30-06, 11:26 PM
Other than the ticket gig I'm trying to get a kart night going for Friday, July 28th too.

I need 20 drivers willing to pay $35 each for an hour at Go Kart Racer (at the track). I have half that number right now, but I can't close the deal on the facility until I have enough people.

thus stands my conundrum.

If you want to race, PM me and I will put you on the list.

manic

"Who is this guy CART License, and HOW did his wife get Dan Wheldon's shoes???"

champcarlover
07-01-06, 01:26 AM
Hi champcalover here. I've already setup for
San Jose, I have my race tickets I'm located in
Gold 1 R 13,S 20-S & 21, G 2. And I'm staying
at the Marriott will be in San Jose July 27th at
1:00pm. My CCIC membership worked out GREAT!!!
I will also be working the race all 3 days. Is anyone
else working the race :)

Kahauna Dreamer
07-01-06, 05:10 PM
I am going, since it is San Jose and I live in San Francisco, but I only know maybe five people here.

nrc
07-01-06, 10:50 PM
Hi champcalover here.

Welcome to the forum. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Can anyone in the area give us a clue what to expect from the track improvements? Will the tracks really be a non-issue this year, or just improved?

CART License
07-02-06, 03:46 AM
[QUOTE=manic mechanic]Other than the ticket gig I'm trying to get a kart night going for Friday, July 28th too.

I need 20 drivers willing to pay $35 each for an hour at Go Kart Racer (at the track). I have half that number right now, but I can't close the deal on the facility until I have enough people.

manic

"Who is this guy CART License, and HOW did his wife get Dan Wheldon's shoes???"[/QUOTE

MM thanks for the heads up, we will be down in Oceanside at our timeshare that week. We stayed at the Hyatt inside the track last year and had a blast, socialize with team members and junk like that.. Travel G spend a little and use your TA discount and avoid the hassles. PS My money is on Cork (Go Kart Racer) and if he does not win it all then the beer’s are on me…

Jamie & Yo Miss Wheldon

TravelGal
07-02-06, 04:04 AM
MM thanks for the heads up, we will be down in Oceanside at our timeshare that week. We stayed at the Hyatt inside the track last year and had a blast, socialize with team members and junk like that.. Travel G spend a little and use your TA discount and avoid the hassles. PS My money is on Cork (Go Kart Racer) and if he does not win it all then the beer’s are on me…

Jamie & Yo Miss Wheldon

Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings but agents don't get the discounts when the hotel/supplier/airline has any hope of of selling their product at a higher rate to the general public. Also, somewhat unfortunately this year's travel budget is taken up by other trips. I'm forcing this one in. If you'd like to buy that around the world cruise, though, just let me know. ;)

I think I've found the solution to the hotel puzzle. If so, I'll post what I decided on.

Dr. Corkski
07-02-06, 10:01 AM
Other than the ticket gig I'm trying to get a kart night going for Friday, July 28th too.

manic

"Who is this guy CART License, and HOW did his wife get Dan Wheldon's shoes???"

Jamie & Yo Miss WheldonYou are going to be buying a lot of beer since I won't be there this year. ;)

manic mechanic
07-03-06, 04:16 PM
AWWW, c'mon Cork...

I'm disappointed to find out that last year's winner won't be back to defend his crown :rofl:

Seriously folks,

WE NEED RACERS!!! We are good on the facility (Go-Kart Racer on the grounds of SJGP), the date (July 28th, 2006) and the time window (between 6:00 and 7:00 PM) but can't close the deal until we have AT LEAST 20 drivers.

If we get 20 drivers, the cost will be $35 per person for a one hour session. More drivers means a lower cost per driver ($28 each with 25 drivers, $23.50 each with 30 drivers).

Please PM me or email me if you are not already on the list.

manic

Winston Wolfe
07-11-06, 02:37 AM
help with hotels, please !
I checked the sjgp.com site and see who the host hotel are, but wanted to see if there is anyone who knows of a hotel that is similar in location\set up to the long beach hotels like the Hyatt (inside the track, has pool, decent rooms, etc.) or the Westin LB (across the street from the track, easy walk, etc.) for the sjgp.

I am looking to bring my 6yr old son up for the weekend (he would like to see AJ again, now that 'Dinger has won a few) and dont want to be hauling him around and walking too far...

Does someone know the area around the sj track pretty well and can help me out ?
Many thanks !

Anteater
07-11-06, 01:19 PM
MM thanks for the heads up, we will be down in Oceanside at our timeshare that week.
Hey Jamie and Yo, want to meet at a sports bar to watch the race? We won't be in San Jose, either. :(

Gnam
07-11-06, 02:54 PM
^ Winston

Going off the hotel list (http://www.sanjosegrandprix.com/hotels.html) on sjgp.com (which lists all the major hotels in the area), here's what I know about them.

East Side (Plaza de Cesar Chavez)
1. Fairmont
2. Saint Claire

Both hotels are just outside the gates. The Saint Clarie is an older, smaller boutique hotel. I don't think it has a pool. The Fairmont is bigger and probably more family oriented. It has a large pool and is close to the downtown shopping/movie/eating center. Last year, there were several Grand Prix events at the Fairmont.

Inside the Gates (San Carlos)
1. Hilton
2. Crowne Plaza

Both hotels are inside the track perimeter, so you might ask about access for parking. The Hilton is an 18 story high rise sitting near the Start/Finish line. It is connected to the San Jose convention center, where the Champ Car paddock will be. The Crowne Plaza is across the street from the Hilton on the north side of San Carlos. It's only half as tall and close to the main pedestrian bridge over Almaden. Both hotels cater to a business crowd. The Hilton has a "splash pool" but the Crowne doesn't.

North Side (Hairpin)
1. Hotel de Anza

This is an older hotel that has been fixed up. It is really close to some good restaruants, but again, it is set up for business people. There isn't a pool and it would be a good walk to get to the Champ Car paddock, the Gold Grandstands, or the Family Fun zone. It is right outside the gates to the hairpin grandstands.

Way North (Train whoo-whoo!)
1. Clarion
2. Wyndham
3. Hyatt

All three of these hotels sit on the 1st Street Light Rail, or VTA, line that runs downtown. The last stop will put you a block East of the Plaza de Cesar Chavez. The Clarion and Wyndham, which are next to each other, are about 14 long blocks from the track. The Hyatt is 5 more long blocks further north. I'd estimate the train ride to be between 10-15 minutes from the hotels to the track depending on crowd size and what not. The Wyndham is a high rise, while the other two are more courtyards surrounding large central swimming pools.

PS. I have not stayed in any of these hotels.

Gnam
07-11-06, 03:12 PM
There are two more hotels not listed on sjgp.com

1. Hotel Montgomery

Outside the gates. Like the Saint Clarie, an older, smaller boutique hotel. I don't think it has a pool. It is right next to the Fairmont, so it's close to the downtown shopping/movie/eating center.

1. Marriott

Inside the track perimeter. A high rise next to the San Jose convention center, where the Champ Car paddock will be. Small pool.

Here's a map of hotels: map (http://www.sanjose.org/visitors/maps/maps/downtown.jpg)

Winston Wolfe
07-11-06, 05:39 PM
There are two more hotels not listed on sjgp.com

1. Hotel Montgomery

Outside the gates. Like the Saint Clarie, an older, smaller boutique hotel. I don't think it has a pool. It is right next to the Fairmont, so it's close to the downtown shopping/movie/eating center.

1. Marriott

Inside the track perimeter. A high rise next to the San Jose convention center, where the Champ Car paddock will be. Small pool.

Here's a map of hotels: map (http://www.sanjose.org/visitors/maps/maps/downtown.jpg)

hey mang, that is great.... thanks for the help... this should make it easier for me ! :thumbup:

CART License
07-16-06, 04:35 AM
Hey Jamie and Yo, want to meet at a sports bar to watch the race? We won't be in San Jose, either. :(

Hey Ant&Rick

Sound's like a plan..let's put something in the works. down south better for the two of you?
Oceanside Sunday to Sunday

JD&YO

Kahauna Dreamer
07-17-06, 12:08 AM
Anyone going?

Yes

manic mechanic
07-18-06, 12:49 AM
Lots of the SoCal group will be there.

If the buzz equals last year's, it should be a great weekend!

manic :D

Ronbo
07-18-06, 11:48 PM

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.............................. :thumbup:

fat,old & fast
07-27-06, 11:48 AM

DID SOMEONE SAY BUZZ?.....that explains why FOF willl be loitering in the SJ streets this weekend!

Fitti Fan
07-27-06, 12:45 PM
DID SOMEONE SAY BUZZ?.....that explains why FOF willl be loitering in the SJ streets this weekend!

OMG! FOF is still around? Someone please take pictures of the gang so I have evidence of everyone's existence!!! :eek:

CARTNUT
07-28-06, 08:38 PM
http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/00/90/First_Act_Junior_Bongos_Assortment_Toys-resized200.gif

CART License
07-28-06, 09:12 PM
Ant...Call me, "Yo" gave me your number and I lost it?? where should we go to watch the race?

manic mechanic
07-29-06, 03:02 AM
OMG! FOF is still around? Someone please take pictures of the gang so I have evidence of everyone's existence!!! :eek:

Is this enough proof of existence for some??
http://www.champcarfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37174

Pleease don't call me "superfan"...I prefer "adamant to the point of obsessive" ChampCar fan!!! :D

And, yes... San Jose is great this year! The track is fast, the women are gorgeous, the beer is cold, and the buzz around town is making Long Beach look like an SCCA meet!

Oh yeah...Welcome back FOF! Great to know you are still around.

manic

Fitti Fan
07-29-06, 11:21 AM
Is this enough proof of existence for some??
http://www.champcarfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37174

Pleease don't call me "superfan"...I prefer "adamant to the point of obsessive" ChampCar fan!!! :D

And, yes... San Jose is great this year! The track is fast, the women are gorgeous, the beer is cold, and the buzz around town is making Long Beach look like an SCCA meet!

Oh yeah...Welcome back FOF! Great to know you are still around.

manic

Love it Manic. And you know you're worth waaay more than 15 minutes of fame!

CART License
07-29-06, 01:53 PM
Interview with Kurt Wagner (Manic Mechanic) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmoC05M2rh0)

Nice Job Manic, Hi to Lisa from Yo and I

RaceCat
07-31-06, 12:21 AM
Interview with Kurt Wagner (Manic Mechanic) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmoC05M2rh0)

Nice Job Manic, Hi to Lisa from Yo and I

How cool was that!?? Awesome job Manic!! :) You make us proud! :)

RaceCat

Anteater
07-31-06, 07:46 PM
Manic, your interview was way cool! :cool: :thumbup: You did a fine job of representing, and the broadcast crew got it right.

FOF, I had given you up for lost! Good to see you post here, and don't be a stranger.

CART License and the Anteaters had an impromptu race-viewing party at the Blue Dolphin--it was fun! I had no idea that CL can include "TV Repairman" in his skillset. Good to see you, buddy!

Lizzerd
07-31-06, 08:50 PM
"...been to hundreds of Champ Car races."

Come on, dude (not you, manic, the reporter), there have barely even been hundreds of Champ Car races.

In the twenty five years I've been serious about going to Champ Car (nee CART) races, I'm likely still a bit shy of ONE hundred, and I thought I did a lot of races.

But, if you want to include all races I've been to, it would definately be in the hundreds.

Whatever... minor point. Bottom line is that it was a very cool interview.

BTW, Kurt, when are you going to add Road America to your hundreds of races attended? :D

manic mechanic
08-02-06, 01:27 PM
"...been to hundreds of Champ Car races."

Come on, dude (not you, manic, the reporter), there have barely even been hundreds of Champ Car races.

In the twenty five years I've been serious about going to Champ Car (nee CART) races, I'm likely still a bit shy of ONE hundred, and I thought I did a lot of races.

But, if you want to include all races I've been to, it would definately be in the hundreds.

Whatever... minor point. Bottom line is that it was a very cool interview.

BTW, Kurt, when are you going to add Road America to your hundreds of races attended? :D

I was trying to get there this year but the wife thinks 4 ChampCar races this year is enough...I can't say as I agree, but do want to keep the tranquility at home.

manic

Ronbo
08-04-06, 02:36 AM
I was trying to get there this year but the wife thinks 4 ChampCar races this year is enough...I can't say as I agree, but do want to keep the tranquility at home.

manic

Whipped!!!

PS, Don't tell my wife I said that!!

I sure want to go to more, too, just don't know if it'll happen!

Spicoli
08-04-06, 07:01 AM
nice interview. way to represent! :D