PDA

View Full Version : Michael McDowell in-car camera at Mid-Ohio

theunions
06-27-06, 06:30 PM
Here's something I've never attempted before, and something I'd never attempt with an open wheel car...getting my own in-car footage at speed. The eager test subject is DP and sometime Champ Car driver Michael McDowell.

With a fair amount of trial and error, we shot this at the end of the 2-day test in May. The intent was to get this up and running before this past race weekend, but it didn't quite happen in time.

The mount used is the "dash mount" manufactured by Sticky Pod - the first time I've used this on any vehicle. The suction cups worked just great on the bare steel...and not surprisingly, not so great on carbon fiber.

Next time I'll have to try 1) an even wider angle lens from this location and 2) mounting the cam on the bulkhead to driver's right, pointing at the windscreen.

Enjoy: Pop-Tart Cam (http://www.racingpress.com/videos/pop-tart.html)

mapguy
06-28-06, 07:37 AM
Kinda cool. But dayum those things are ugly.

Wheel-Nut
06-28-06, 09:27 AM
That's pretty cool. I was expecting to see a bunch of vibrations from the camera.

theunions
06-28-06, 12:32 PM
Vibration was one thing I was quite concerned about, having never tested the apparatus before on any vehicle at any speed (there are rubber washers that come with this, which I did use). My biggest concern was simply the whole thing falling off and bouncing around the cockpit. ;)

Michaelhatesfans
06-28-06, 02:06 PM
My biggest concern was simply the whole thing falling off and bouncing around the cockpit. ;)
Judging from all of the glances, I'd say the driver had the same concern.

DagoFast
06-28-06, 02:25 PM
No hans device required? :thumdown:

Easy
06-28-06, 03:26 PM

Test day. Rules are different. You could test a Champ Car in a bikini on a private test day if you wanted to.

theunions
06-28-06, 03:38 PM

It does look that way when he's actually driving, but if you watch all the way to the end when Pop-Tart gets out of the car, you'll see he's got his on. No problem there.

Judging from all of the glances, I'd say the driver had the same concern.

The next time I try this, having passed this round, I'm sure everyone will be a lot more relaxed. :D

Dr. Corkski
06-28-06, 03:48 PM
Cool stuff. :thumbup:

But why didn't you try this onboard camera thingy when you were at the Playboy Mansion? :cry:

cameraman
06-28-06, 03:58 PM
How do you know he didn't?

theunions
06-28-06, 03:59 PM
Cool stuff. :thumbup:

But why didn't you try this onboard camera thingy when you were at the Playboy Mansion? :cry:

Because we weren't allowed to drive our own vehicles onto the property (literally and figuratively). ;)

What I should've done is used the dash mount on the dash to show Michael driving us TO and FROM the Mansion, which was an adventure in itself! :rofl: