PDA

View Full Version : Things looking up for Cleveland GP

Napoleon
06-26-06, 07:19 AM
Below is an article from todays Plain Dealer. In addition to it the print edition states that there were 40 vendors, up from 20 last year, 22 corporate sponsors, up from 15 last year, and 20k meals served by the carerers, up from 13k last year.

At 25, Grand Prix of Cleveland getting up to speed
Attendance, revenue increases mark silver anniversary
Monday, June 26, 2006
Jesse Tinsley
Plain Dealer Reporter
The growing success of the Grand Prix of Cleveland -- a summertime tradition that has brought fast cars to the lakefront for the last 25 years -- can be measured in several ways, right down to the bottomless pit of racing fans.

Attendance jumped to nearly 119,000 this year, compared with 89,000 last year, according to Austin Crossley, a spokesman for the race.

"We exceeded our goals on attendance, fan expectation and getting the families out here," said Michael T. Lanigan, the Grand Prix's chairman and chief executive. "We are very happy. There was a lot of excitement."

Executive Caterers at Landerhaven served up nearly 20,000 meals -- ranging from hamburgers to grilled salmon --during the three-day racing event that ended Sunday at Burke Lakefront Airport. Charles Klass, the caterer's executive vice president, said the number of meals served was about a third more than last year.

The racing event, which organizers say brings about $30 million to the local economy over the three days, is headed in the right direction, said Lanigan, who took over the event in February.

"There were a lot of smiles and we created a lot of new racing fans," said Lanigan, whose primary goal was to make the event more family-friendly by offering additional treats like go-kart racing, concerts and more vendors. "We showed them that this can be an annual family affair."

The increase in families was apparent as children and their parents visited the go-kart area and watched extreme sports.

Likely to return for the event next year is Dee Morris of Cleveland, who came to the race with his son, Dee Morris Jr., 11, and his nephew, Chris Hutchins, 6.

"It seems family-friendly to me," Morris said. "I see a little bit of everything out here."

Michael Shanes, 44, of Beachwood, who has attended the race for every one of its 25 years, said this was the best so far.

"It was nice to see the event reinvigorated, its new direction and new, fresh ideas," Shanes said. "It was awesome. A great crowd and a great day."

Corporate sponsorship and revenue were up, Lanigan said, but he did not know by how much Sunday evening. "Our cost is up, too. But that was an investment."

"It's a wonderful thing for Cleveland," said Klass of Executive Caterers. "The energy level was up with all the new activities like the stunt guys and go-kart racing and the family zone."

Insomniac
06-26-06, 09:10 AM
One of my favorite races. I'm glad it's on an upswing. :thumbup:

oddlycalm
06-26-06, 01:35 PM
Now that's what I'm talking about. :thumbup: Two events at either end of the same week where races experienced significantly better year to year attendence, and both due to hard work on the part of those involved. It also says to me that CCWS is building strong relationships.

oc

Andrew Longman
06-26-06, 03:53 PM
This is the first time I've seen "family friendly" as an objective for these "festivals of speed", but it seems about right for Cleveland. Its a working class town not too impressed with glitz and they need to get people downtown. Unlike LB and TO there are not already a lot of likely customers in the city.

The three kids I took had a blast all three days and they spent zero time in the Kids Fun Zone. They liked the racing, the excitement, the food and just walking around looking at stuff. (Though my youngest was happiest just being able to sit and play his Gameboy amongst all the excitement.)

Andrew Longman
06-26-06, 03:54 PM
Now that's what I'm talking about. :thumbup: Two events at either end of the same week where races experienced significantly better year to year attendence, and both due to hard work on the part of those involved. It also says to me that CCWS is building strong relationships.

oc

Now if we can just get something going in Philly :D

TKGAngel
06-26-06, 07:13 PM
My only complaint for the weekend was that the jumbotron in front of Section E was located directly behind the stage. When all of the lights and concert rigging was up, there was only about 1/6th of the screen visible. Next year, they should either move it to the right or to the left of the stage.

The management of the race also deserves props for realizing that they had a problem with the main vendor/concourse area being a sea of mud. By Friday afternoon, they had dump trucks and heavy equipment bringing in stone and ashphalt to make a passable walkway.

Elmo T
06-26-06, 07:50 PM
I was glad to see them drop the lights for Sunday, but the screen was completely obstructed for Friday and Saturday.

Overall, I was very impressed with the changes. My only recommendation for a change would be to work out something for better pit access. I don't know what that might. For race day, the pit layout was great, but I really did miss the hot pit access.

My hat is off the the promoters for working hard on making positive changes.