PDA

View Full Version : Fisi to be given Brazil win after all?

mnkywrch
04-09-03, 08:29 AM
Fisichella may be awarded Brazil win

New FIA evidence could give the Italian his first victory

Giancarlo Fisichella could still be declared the winner of the Brazilian Grand Prix. The FIA, the governing body of motorsport, has summoned the stewards of last weekend's chaotic race to its headquarters in Paris on Friday after receiving evidence which suggests that Fisichella had started his 56th lap before the race was stopped. This is contrary to the information supplied by the race time-keepers.

If the evidence proves correct then the race classification would stand from the end of the 54th lap when the Jordan driver was leading. The result at the moment is classified at 53 completed laps with Kimi Raikkonen regarded the winner.

An FIA press release this morning stated that in accordance with Article 179(b) of the International Sporting Code, the stewards of the Brazilian GP will re-convene on Friday 11 April at 11.00am to review the results of the event. All competitors who might be affected by the outcome of the meeting have also been invited to attend. This could include those who crashed, thus bringing out the red flags.

The race was stopped when Fernando Alonso hit debris left from Mark Webber's crashed Jaguar on the exit of the final corner. But Fisichella had passed Raikkonen for the lead on lap 54 and led lap 55 before the red flags stopped the race. If the evidence proves the Italian completed lap 55, before the red flags came out, then according to the regulations he would be the rightful winner of the Brazilian GP.

Mark Webber, on the other hand, could lose his seventh place to become 'unclassified' if Alonso's crash is determined as having stopped the race. Click back to autosport.com for the result of the FIA meeting on Friday.

skidmarks
04-09-03, 09:47 AM
HA that means in the Fantasy GP I will...still be a loser :gomer: :cry:

pchall
04-09-03, 09:47 AM
It would only seem just. Too bad Fishyfella won't get his top of the podium celebration, though.

Here's the link to the story at the Beeb's site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/2931917.stm

Ziggy
04-09-03, 04:53 PM
This whole sorrid affair is just sad.... The podium celebration is what winning is all about. Even though this would be Giancarlo's icebreaker, so to speak, victories this season with this season will be hard to back up.

They got it wrong, and they can never get the genie back in the bottle

He won that race
Kimi should have sacked up and admitted that point. Maybe then someone would have done something about it.

Ziggy

mnkywrch
04-09-03, 04:58 PM
I kinda wish that, given where next weekend's race is, they'd let Fisi have a go at the top of the podium in front of the home crowd at some point.

Might make a small consolation to stand on the top step and hear your national anthem in front of the home crowd...

RaceChic
04-09-03, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
I kinda wish that, given where next weekend's race is, they'd let Fisi have a go at the top of the podium in front of the home crowd at some point.

Might make a small consolation to stand on the top step and hear your national anthem in front of the home crowd...

I like this idea, mnkywrch.........:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

pchall
04-09-03, 10:57 PM
Oh, gawd.

Now Fishyfella is supposed to get a make up version of The Call.

NASCAR über alles?

Hink
04-10-03, 03:01 AM
I was mad as hell after that race. If telemetry and the flagstand synch to lap 54 => Fisi Won! (and gets full points)