PDA

View Full Version : Old refrigerator--no one wants it!

Anteater
06-24-06, 02:07 PM
Mr. Anteater and I are in the middle of a big garage-tidying project; we've decided that one of the things that has to go is our 30-year-old avocado-green refrigerator. "Greeny" is an electricity pig and looks like h*ll, but it works great for keeping beer and leftovers cold. I just called every charity in the area, though, and NO ONE wants it! :( Now what do I do? Any ideas?

Fio1
06-24-06, 02:24 PM
Mr. Anteater and I are in the middle of a big garage-tidying project; we've decided that one of the things that has to go is our 30-year-old avocado-green refrigerator. "Greeny" is an electricity pig and looks like h*ll, but it works great for keeping beer and leftovers cold. I just called every charity in the area, though, and NO ONE wants it! :( Now what do I do? Any ideas?

Leave the refrigerator outside your house with a sign that says $50 on it. By the end of the weekend it will be gone (stolen!). :laugh:

racermike
06-24-06, 03:17 PM
Most landfills will take for small fee (the refrigerant)

devilmaster
06-24-06, 03:29 PM
Kegerator!

nissan gtp
06-24-06, 04:10 PM
take it to Road America for cold beers at the champ car race, and leave it there :p

Cam
06-24-06, 04:55 PM
Kal-i-forn-ia... No wonder... :p

TravelGal
06-24-06, 07:00 PM
Leave the refrigerator outside your house with a sign that says $50 on it. By the end of the weekend it will be gone (stolen!). :laugh:

Be sure you take the door off if you leave it anywhere. Children love to play inside. If they get caught inside a closed fridge suffocate quickly.

I guess we're all trained that a 30-year old fridge is an electricity guzzler. Probably why no one wants it.

Rob
06-24-06, 07:08 PM
I guess we're all trained that a 30-year old fridge is an electricity guzzler. Probably why no one wants it.
Not because it's avocado green?

TravelGal
06-24-06, 07:16 PM
Not because it's avocado green?

Well, there is THAT too. :laugh:

RaceGrrl
06-24-06, 11:19 PM
Call a homeless shelter. When Richard's dad died several years ago, they were very happy to take a sofa, chair and console TV that Salvation Army and Goodwill refused. Since the shelter uses the donated items to set up apartments, they should be willing to take it.

Anteater
06-25-06, 12:19 PM
Thank you so much for all the pointers and suggestions! :thumbup:

Ankf00
06-25-06, 08:50 PM
Kegerator!
Steve is a wise, wise man.

devilmaster
06-25-06, 09:42 PM
Steve is a wise, wise man.

I'll even throw in the info page to boot.....

http://www.homepokertourney.com/build-a-kegerator.htm

ferrarigod
06-25-06, 10:01 PM
Peter Griffin: "Excuse me, is your refrigerator running? Because if it is, it probably runs like you - very homosexually."

Lizzerd
06-25-06, 10:47 PM
Wrap it up and just ship it to me. I could use a kegerator. :D

RTKar
06-25-06, 11:29 PM
take it to Road America for cold beers at the champ car race, and leave it there :p

That's what I was thinking...turn 2 campground.

racermike
06-26-06, 02:24 AM
bet Anteater never thought her old fridge would ever deserve, or get, a thread this long

Anteater
06-27-06, 09:00 PM
bet Anteater never thought her old fridge would ever deserve, or get, a thread this long
What really amazes me is that the thread currently has over 230 views! :rofl: Lots of people interested in my old-fridge dilemma, apparently.

The idea of donating the refrigerator to a homeless shelter appealed to me, but I didn't like to think about some poor struggling person being saddled with the high electric bills. So Greeny ended up in a dump truck this morning. :cry: I'll get a $30.00 hazardous-waste disposal fee on my next trash service bill.

Greeny had a good run, though; judging by the color, the fridge had to be close to 35 years old. We're not really sure how old, only that it certainly wasn't new when my husband obtained it many years ago (from an ex-girlfriend when they split up, he told me last night).

SAdair
06-28-06, 08:45 AM
We're not really sure how old, only that it certainly wasn't new when my husband obtained it many years ago (from an ex-girlfriend when they split up, he told me last night).

Yet another reason to get rid of it! ;)

mapguy
06-28-06, 09:18 AM
Also, with it being that old it is probably using R12. That stuff is very hard to come by and if you can get it it will cost a lot more to do any sealed system repairs on it. I don't carry R12 on my truck and I don't think that any of my co-workers do either.