PDA

View Full Version : It's a profound site..................

RaceChic
04-09-03, 05:51 AM
I sit here watching CNN. I see the Iraqi people in the streets of Baghdad cheering and happy that thay no longer have to live under a reign of fear. The simple fact that they now can speak out and cheer like that on public television without fear of death is incredible. That is something we have always had. We are very lucky.

My friend who I met recently as a resident in the ICU I work at is from Iraq. He told me that we don't really realize how good we have it. That he thinks we had taken our freedom for granted until 9-11 for so many years. That we know our freedom is invaluable now but that one never REALLY knows exactly how much unless you lived where he did all of his life and could experience the true difference. That the things the media has made us aware of about Saddam Hussein is only a miniscule portion of the way it really is. The things he saw everyday growing up. The fear that man used to rule that country. The way he tortured and killed his people to have control. He said we really could never imagine. He fled Iraq after the Gulf War or he would have had to serve the military. He had just finished medical school and was about to begin his residency. He left his family behind. Payed $$ to be snuck out illegally "in the back woods" so to speak. Spent the first year fleeing in fear from country to country over there in those countries surrounding Iraq like Yemen etc. The poverty, filth and pestulence was attrocious he said. He saw dead people all over the sides of streets everyday that died from starvation. He woke up everyday not knowing where he would sleep or if he would eat. Finally he made it into the USA then into Canada. Worked many small jobs to write his medical exams and begin his residency. Lived in povery while doing it. It makes me shudder to think I am angry and disgusted at what I know of SH and that it is a small peice of the actual reality. He drove to our capital city of Ottawa a week ago to speak to the Red Cross to see if he could somehow contact his family that live in Baghdad. He is scared and upset. He was crying in front of me as he spoke of this. Said he has never spoke of this to anyone since he left Iraq. I saw a man in front of me who was very traumatized all of his life. It was a terrible thing.

I am proud of what has happened here. I know I am not American or British, but I am still proud. I am happy we fight to protect the freedom we have and fight so the rest of the world can have it also. I hope good things are to come for the Iraqi people.

God Bless America and us all.

Lastly, I hope my friend finds his family alive and well soon. I pray for him and his family every day. I pray the war ends soon and the rest of the troops can come home alive and well. :(

Napoleon
04-09-03, 06:02 AM
Does he plan to go back?

RaceChic
04-09-03, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Napoleon
Does he plan to go back?

NEVER , he said. I had already asked.....:)

DjDrOmusic
04-09-03, 04:08 PM
That has made my eyes very moist RaceChic. Thankyou not only for the story about your friend, but for the compliment to our Nation. You know from our meeting in February the way I feel about your country, and that feeling has never wavered, even after the Montreal fans booed our anthem. God Keep your land Glorious and Free.:)

RaceChic
04-09-03, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by DjDrOmusic
That has made my eyes very moist RaceChic. Thankyou not only for the story about your friend, but for the compliment to our Nation. You know from our meeting in February the way I feel about your country, and that feeling has never wavered, even after the Montreal fans booed our anthem. God Keep your land Glorious and Free.:)

Awwwwwww, Thank-You DjDrOmusic....:cry:
I am ashamed of the booing of The Star Spangled Banner in Montreal. Even more so, I am terribly ashamed of our Prime Minister not standing behind the USA. It was a kick in the teeth to the USA and to the citizens of Canada. I hope the damage is not irreparable. I believe he did it because an election is coming up. Many Canadians take pride in being a peaceful nation, but there comes a time such as this that there are no other choices left. When all else fails....... There is no price that can be put on "Freedom and Peace". They aren't just token words but have a deeper meaning and value than that spelled out in a dictionary. It is the escence of our two Countries. I just hope Jean Cretien has not damaged our relationship with the USA beyond repair and that the new Prime Minister can repair the damage provided we aren't dumb enough to re-elect Cretien. I hope I don't offend any other Canadians here. It is not my intent. I speak only for myself. These are my opinions only.

I hope this hasn't become too political. Sorry if it has. Wickerbill, I will edit this if this makes you uncomfortable as I know you don't want big political discussions here. I just had to respond to DjDrOmusic's statements.

And DjDrOmusic, good too see you are learning the words to "O Canada" :)

I know the words to the "Star Spangled Banner" :gomer:
And in the morning, may you still see your flag there........ :thumbup:

Kate
04-10-03, 10:36 PM
It was truly an inspiring sight, and I hope that some of the people who were saying it was "All about Oil" will have seen it and perhaps changed their minds.

I was at Road Atlanta three weeks after 9/11/01 and it was inspirational and comforting to stand with people from so many countries and see that all the cars bore American flags and everyone (except the exceptionally ill-mannered Rickard Rydell who has the misfortune to be my cousin) standing silently or singing "God Bless the USA". Their event pin is a beautiful cloissiane American flag that I still wear now that my Canadian and American "United We Stand" flags no longer apply.

On the way home we pulled to the side of the road to listen to John Ashcroft's press conference launching the attack on Afghanistan, and two weeks later that country too was rejoicing in freedom and the Peaceniks were crying because we won.

Tonight Hanoi Jane spoke in Vancouver and said that Americans who supported those people dancing and singing in the streets of Baghdad were "ignorant". It is very sad to be as old as she pretends she isn't and still be that far out of touch with reality.

RaceChic
04-10-03, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Kate
Their event pin is a beautiful cloissiane American flag that I still wear now that my Canadian and American "United We Stand" flags no longer apply.

Those Canadian and American flags still apply together as long as we want them to. It's a matter of what's in the individual's heart. I havn't peeled the American flag off of the back of my car that sits next to my Canadian flag just because of Jean Cretien's back stabbing stand. And I have no intention to do so. That's not what's in my heart..............:gomer: ;) :gomer:

RaceChic
04-10-03, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Kate
It was truly an inspiring sight, and I hope that some of the people who were saying it was "All about Oil" will have seen it and perhaps changed their minds.

Tonight Hanoi Jane spoke in Vancouver and said that Americans who supported those people dancing and singing in the streets of Baghdad were "ignorant". It is very sad to be as old as she pretends she isn't and still be that far out of touch with reality.

I agree. It's unfortunate that people don't see the bigger picture. I think that the people that think those of us that support the Iraqi people singing and dancing in the streets of Baghdad don't grasp the symbolism of it. I feel sorry for those kind of people. They miss out on so many deeper things in life. Like stopping to smell the flowers.......

The Iraqi people have been oppressed for so long. I am very happy for them and even happier that my many cherished friends to the south had a hand in it.