PDA

View Full Version : Bernie: "USGP? We don't need no stinkin' USGP."

rabbit
06-23-06, 10:41 AM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/27251/

"It does not matter to Formula 1 if there is no Grand Prix in the U.S.," said Ecclestone. "What do we get from America? Aggravation, that's about all. If you say 'good morning' over there and it's five past 12, you end up with a lawsuit."

"We have never got any sponsors out there," he added. "The television has never taken off; we have more viewers in Malta than over there."

"Why do we need to worry so much about America? It has never really taken to open-wheel racing. They talk about the big audiences for NASCAR, but we get as many viewers in Italy alone as they do for NASCAR in the States."

"If [IMS] wants to continue having a round of the Formula 1 World Championship over there, I am happy to talk to them, which is what I will do when I get there. But I am not prepared to subsidise a race in America. I have a very good relationship with the people in Indianapolis, and I am sure talks will go well."

Spicoli
06-23-06, 10:46 AM
Isn;t Bernie awesome?! :D

And these tards over here wanted to sue him. :rofl:

:lunch:

trauma1
06-23-06, 11:24 AM
the ims faithfull are in full meltdown and the FBE are going strong :rofl:

devilmaster
06-23-06, 11:32 AM
I don't know why the gomers would get in a huff about this....

This was just a public message to TG saying - Don't expect to re-negotiate our deal to favour you.

Even BE says he expects the deal to get done.

2005 USGP happened. Don't expect it to change the contract. If Tony agrees on the deal BE offers, everything will be fine.

I hope no one expected TG to be a suave and intelligent businessman.....

trauma1
06-23-06, 11:53 AM
from grandprix;Ecclestone sends a message to Tony George

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17021.html

devilmaster
06-23-06, 12:04 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention this....

The television has never taken off; we have more viewers in Malta than over there

Thats one more nod for the Malta Champcar Grand Prix, baby! :thumbup:

*singing*

I went down to Sammy's bar
Hey the last boat's are a-leavin
By the shores of Pieta
Call away the daighsoe....

[edit] oh yeah! last time i checked, the population of malta is something like 325 thousand..... :rofl:

cameraman
06-23-06, 12:39 PM
325K? Then BE might just be right about the viewership numbers

Cam
06-23-06, 01:51 PM
325K? Then BE might just be right about the viewership numbers

Not quite...

AUTO RACING:FORMULA 1 CBS Sun 12:00 PM 1.0/3 1,109,000 1,330,000 120m

trauma1
06-23-06, 02:03 PM
I don't know why the gomers would get in a huff about this....

This was just a public message to TG saying - Don't expect to re-negotiate our deal to favour you.

Even BE says he expects the deal to get done.

2005 USGP happened. Don't expect it to change the contract. If Tony agrees on the deal BE offers, everything will be fine.

I hope no one expected TG to be a suave and intelligent businessman.....
fullmeltdown
http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77897

Spicoli
06-23-06, 02:15 PM
fullmeltdown
http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77897

TarDs aMPliFieD. :gomer:

trauma1
06-23-06, 02:34 PM
TarDs aMPliFieD. :gomer:

you can't fix stupid :rofl:

oddlycalm
06-23-06, 02:43 PM
:shakehead :gomer: :laugh: :rofl:

cameraman
06-23-06, 02:53 PM
Not quite...

AUTO RACING:FORMULA 1 CBS Sun 12:00 PM 1.0/3 1,109,000 1,330,000 120m

On CBS yeah, but somebody posted the rating of an early season Speed predawn race that came in around 0.2 120,000... I'm sure those number thrill BE to no end

Cam
06-23-06, 03:46 PM
On CBS yeah, but somebody posted the rating of an early season Speed predawn race that came in around 0.2 120,000... I'm sure those number thrill BE to no end

You can't put any credence in the live european race numbers. 1/2 the country is either in bed or just getting home from the nightclubs. I have seen where the replay numbers at noon or 1PM get reasonable (as they can be in OW broadcasts in the US on Speed) viewer numbers.

mueber
06-30-06, 02:32 PM
It’s obvious that Formula One doesn’t need a USGP. It’s too bad that the only USGP we have had of late is held at a Mickey Mouse course owned by a moron. Oh well, Montreal anyone?

Spicoli
07-02-06, 09:15 AM
BE sounded pretty optimistic of renewing/whatever the contract. Was on 2 of the local stations this AM saying things look pretty good.

:thumbup:

Opposite Lock
07-02-06, 09:23 AM
SPEED is now saying he wants TWO USGPs:

link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/27855/)

"Ecclestone has also told the teams that he is keen to have a second USGP on the West Coast, in addition to Indianapolis."

the bloke's gettin' a wee bit daft.

gjc2
07-02-06, 10:54 AM
SPEED is now saying he wants TWO USGPs:

link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/27855/)

"Ecclestone has also told the teams that he is keen to have a second USGP on the West Coast, in addition to Indianapolis."

the bloke's gettin' a wee bit daft.

Should we take that to mean that the Indianapolis race will continue beyond this year?

Insomniac
07-02-06, 10:56 AM
Should we take that to mean that the Indianapolis race will continue beyond this year?

He was just posturing. Who else has a track and garages to support F1 in the US?

cameraman
07-03-06, 12:10 AM
He was just posturing. Who else has a track and garages to support F1 in the US?

Miller Motorsports Park has the garages & track, just no stands or people :gomer:

oddlycalm
07-03-06, 04:32 PM
What Bernie doesn't ever mention is that Western Europe is able to watch the entire schedule at hours that people are normally awake while we get all but the two North American races and Brazil at hours people are normally asleep. That's not the entire issue, but it's a big part of it.

oc

cameraman
07-03-06, 04:45 PM
That and the Indy F1 track sucks beyond words so you end up with a lousy F1 race even if everybody doesn't crash out in the first damn lap.

gjc2
07-16-06, 09:24 PM
When will the '07 F1 schedule be announced? It's been two weeks since the USGP and still no announcement from TG or Ecclestone. I don't think it looks good for the USGP at the speedway in the future.

Spicoli
07-16-06, 09:36 PM
When will the '07 F1 schedule be announced? It's been two weeks since the USGP and still no announcement from TG or Ecclestone. I don't think it looks good for the USGP at the speedway in the future.

I'll betcha they are back in Indy next year.