PDA

View Full Version : $$ spent by armed aervices in motor sports

trauma1
06-22-06, 11:10 AM
seems to be a sore spot for some on the amount of $$ spent to sponsor teams, this just touches the tip of the ice berg on the total amount, add it all up it's about 40 to 50 mil,wastfull spending or effective, have at it

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0620Recruiting-ON.html

cameraman
06-22-06, 12:56 PM
It is marketing and trying to sell a lovely year or two in Iraq isn't a job most advertising agencies would relish. I am sure that the marketing gurus the pentagon has hired have run the numbers and the folks in charge think that they are getting a reasonable ROI.

Beyond that this becomes a Racing Biz topic.

Andrew Longman
06-22-06, 01:45 PM
$50 million/yr or a draft. That's really the social choice we are making as a nation.

My dad worked on the Army account for NW Ayer (ad agency) in the early 70s when the the draft ended and the Army started to run ads.

Even then people recoiled a bit at the notion of spending tax dollars for advertising and recruitment.

The fact is, the armed forces are marketed very carefully with a lot of research and analysis of what works. NASCAR and NHRA demographics align very well with those likely to sign up and the armed force have been very happy with their campaigns for several years and racing sponsorship in particular.

KLang
06-22-06, 01:58 PM
the Army budgets about $17 million to grace the hood of Joe Nemechek's Monte Carlo and pay for the other initiatives involved in supporting a Nextel Cup sponsorship

Had no idea it cost that much to run a car over there.

I don't have a problem with it, I doubt it is a sgnificant part of their total recruiting budget. I just wish they would spend some in Champ Car.

I predict this thread won't last the day. :p

trauma1
06-22-06, 02:34 PM
i just thought it was interesting in how much $$ was being spent

Andrew Longman
06-22-06, 03:31 PM
Had no idea it cost that much to run a car over there.

I don't have a problem with it, I doubt it is a sgnificant part of their total recruiting budget. I just wish they would spend some in Champ Car.

It doesn't. There is a lot of profit in those teams. That's why we should wish they'd spend it on CC.(It does cost a lot though given how many cars they need to build and how many races they have in the schedule)

But they won't spend it on Champcar until the demographic changes. I was at Englishtown last weekend. I won't find the anything like the same crowd in Cleveland tomorrow.

coolhand
06-22-06, 04:50 PM
You could fund a two car mid pack team in CC for about a 3rd of that.

FCR or NHR would drool over 17 million for 2 cars.

oddlycalm
06-22-06, 10:12 PM
they won't spend it on Champcar until the demographic changes. Which basically means never. The Champ Car demographic is higher income, higher education, and I don't look for that to change regardless what happend with merged series.

oc

coolhand
06-23-06, 12:57 AM
Does anyone think Champ Car has a demographic at all now? I would not pigeon hole the fans I have seen at he races to any one group.

Sean O'Gorman
06-23-06, 07:21 AM
Does anyone think Champ Car has a demographic at all now?

I don't think they even know what a demographic even is. Just look at the ads they run for the races. Who are these races aimed at?? The best I can tell is 40 year old males who are there for the party but have been watching the series for 25 years. Is that anyone??

Tifosi24
06-23-06, 09:50 AM
Using my one race in Milwaukee as a gauge of the Champ Car demographic I can honestly say there was no set type. For the number of people I saw drinking imported beer, there were twice as many biker-type mullett people walking about. US Air Force Reserves has supported a US rally program and Speed TC teams and I think they have also had success there. If the Champ Car demographic is in fact higher brow, it would be in Champ Car's best interest to pursue an armed forces branch similar the Air Force or Coast Guard.

meadors
06-24-06, 11:45 PM
I predict this thread won't last the day. :p

At least it hasn't gotten politcal yet, so...
My son did join in November '03 and went in June '04 despite our demographic profile. (or maybe we really are :gomer:s )
He has been fortunate to be a desk jockey so far, but he now trying to get assigned to a special forces unit that I just know will go to Iraq. He has been in Stuttgart getting good experience and having too much fun. :) But he is getting pretty homesick after almost two years over there.

eiregosod
06-25-06, 01:07 AM
yellow ribbon racing, anyone?