PDA

View Full Version : Wilson on Fabio: He's not a wanker

Lux Interior
06-22-06, 06:39 AM
Here's a snippet from an article I just read:

"At Las Vegas in 2004, during a chat with Justin Wilson, I asked him whether he could gauge how much progress he had made over the course of his maiden Champ Car season. After all, as an ex-F1 driver, I figured his teammates at Conquest Racing - first Alex Sperafico, then Nelson Philippe - weren't going to produce much worthwhile data with which he could learn.

Wilson swiftly corrected me. "Nelson's all right, actually," he said, "he's just very inexperienced. He's 17, and it's only his second year in cars. If he gets more races under his belt, he'll be fine. If he learns as he's going along, he should be pretty good. He's not a wanker."

I think Justin was right. Anyone think Phillipe can sneak in a win this year? I'd give it a 50-50 chance he can get one.

Spicoli
06-22-06, 06:44 AM
Nelsonmania!

:thumbup: :p :thumbup:

RHR_Fan
06-22-06, 10:20 AM
Nelsonmania!

:thumbup: :p :thumbup:

You and Nelsonmania! :D

~Nicole

Sean O'Gorman
06-22-06, 10:47 AM
No, Nelson sucks and will always be a wanker.

Easy
06-22-06, 11:08 AM
"He should be pretty good, he isn't a wanker" isn't exactly saying the guy show's hints of a Senna like talent. Hell its not even saying he shows an Eddie Irvine like talent.

Fio1
06-22-06, 11:22 AM

No, I think Wislon is right. If the kid keeps improving, he should win races next year or the year after. What is he 19, now? Remember, he'll still be 21 in 2 seasons! :thumbup:

skaven
06-22-06, 11:24 AM
I'm sceptical regarding him getting a win, but if things go his way, he has sone speed to take advantage of an opportunity.

I remember his first race in Denver... he came into the mile-wide corner from a variety of angles, locking up the brakes and basically looking out of control each lap. Seabass on the other hand was smooth each lap.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much he's progressed this year in Denver.

If he wins, we all need to grow our hair out... Nelsonmania ! ! !

Gangrel
06-22-06, 11:33 AM
I seem to remember another kid who was in cars way before his time, pretty much grew up as a racer running around at the back of the Champ Car grid week in and week out...someone had enough faith in him to keep putting him behind the wheel to work with him and let him learn...then all of the sudden one week I watched a race and that kid became Michel Jourdain Jr. Food for thought....

KLang
06-22-06, 11:39 AM
I've been pleasantly surprised with Nelson's progress. I don't think he is ready for a win just yet unless he happens to get a lucky yellow. I expect he'll continue to improve.

rabbit
06-22-06, 12:05 PM
I remember my first time seeing Fabio in action in BDPS at Mid-Ohio. You could tell his driving style was wildly aggressive. I told someone with me that he reminded me of a young Robby Gordon, but without the smoothness. Of course, he crashed spectacularly in the race. But you could tell there was something in there that when he got it all figured he would be a good racer. When he jumped straight to Champ Cars after just one year in BDPS, I thought he was in waaaaay over his head and would never amount to anything. I'm glad to see he's proving me wrong.

theunions
06-22-06, 12:29 PM
If only the dozen or so drivers who routinely spanked him throughout that BDPS season got the same opportunity in Champ Car (or for most of them, open wheel period) that he did... :(

And if Justin thinks Fabio is not a wanker, then by exclusion where does that leave Alex Sperafico? :rofl:

Easy
06-22-06, 12:35 PM
Jourdain didn't win until almost every one of note bolted with Honda and Toyota. The field has only gotten more shallow since.

Spicoli
06-22-06, 02:15 PM

Watch out for Nelsonmania! , jackturd. :flame:

*we are everywhere* :eek:

Ankf00
06-22-06, 02:19 PM
Jourdain didn't win until almost every one of note bolted with Honda and Toyota. The field has only gotten more shallow since.
bingo.

Gangrel
06-22-06, 02:26 PM

If you really believe that, then what are you even doing here anymore? If "everyone of note" bolted with Honda and Toyota, shouldn't you be over at TF? :saywhat:

Lux Interior
06-22-06, 02:52 PM
jackturd. :flame: :

jackturd :rofl:

That's the first time I've ever heard anyone called that. That would be a good forum name: Jack Terdd :thumbup:

Easy
06-22-06, 03:06 PM
"Almost everyone of note" but thanks for parsing my quote.

Franchitti, Dixon, Andretti, Brack, Herta, Kanaan, Castroneves, de Ferran, da Matta and Zanardi for various reasons were no longer in the series and were not replaced by equal talent before Jourdain won. He did beat Tracy, Vasser, Tagliani, Carpentier and Moreno but I doubt he would have won in a fully stocked series.

I am here because I watched Jacques Villeneuve win at Road America over Al Unser jr, Mike Andretti, Emmerson Fittipaldi, Jimmy Vasser, Paul Tracy, Gil de Ferran, Danny Sullivan and Bobby Rahal amongst others and I've lived and breathed motorsports ever since that day.

I've been watching since then and this series isn't what it once was or what it can hopefully be again. So let's not salivate over guys who are doing a solid job in a watered down field. Thats both sides of the divide but lately moreso in Champ Car.

Jourdain improved a great deal but a Zanardi, Bourdais or de Ferran he is not and no amount of "everything is going to be great, Kevin told me so, the irk is closing" changes that.

cameraman
06-22-06, 03:12 PM
So a driver can never be considered good because the field isn't strong but the field will never be strong because none of the drivers can be considered good.

Whatever.

racer2c
06-22-06, 03:18 PM

Franchitti, Dixon, Andretti, Brack, Herta, Kanaan, Castroneves, de Ferran, da Matta and Zanardi for various reasons were no longer in the series and were not replaced by equal talent before Jourdain won. He did beat Tracy, Vasser, Tagliani, Carpentier and Moreno but I doubt he would have won in a fully stocked series.

I am here because I watched Jacques Villeneuve win at Road America over Al Unser jr, Mike Andretti, Emmerson Fittipaldi, Jimmy Vasser, Paul Tracy, Gil de Ferran, Danny Sullivan and Bobby Rahal amongst others and I've lived and breathed motorsports ever since that day.

I've been watching since then and this series isn't what it once was or what it can hopefully be again. So let's not salivate over guys who are doing a solid job in a watered down field. Thats both sides of the divide but lately moreso in Champ Car.

Jourdain improved a great deal but a Zanardi, Bourdais or de Ferran he is not and no amount of "everything is going to be great, Kevin told me so, the irk is closing" changes that.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but don't get so caught up in the past that you foresake the present. If there is one constant in motorsport, it's change.

Gangrel
06-22-06, 03:20 PM

Easy there, killer...just funnin' ya. Seems most users on CC forums swear that when those guys followed the yen to IRL, someone drilled holes in the back of their heads and drained all the talent out of them. :D

Spicoli
06-22-06, 03:22 PM
jackturd :rofl:

That's the first time I've ever heard anyone called that. That would be a good forum name: Jack Terdd :thumbup:

The only limits are your imagination.

"gotard" :cry: :D

Lux Interior
06-22-06, 03:43 PM
The only limits are your imagination.

"gotard" :cry: :D

Tom Foolery also has a nice ring. And, don't forget my favorite Call of Duty online name: Chuck Steak. :gomer:

Dr. Corkski
06-22-06, 04:01 PM
I am like, really totally pleased with Fabio's progress as well. His myspace used to be like, totally, so not dreamy 3 years ago, but like, OMG, it's like soooooooooo totally dreamy now.

[/12 year old girl]

:gomer:

Spicoli
06-22-06, 04:21 PM
I am like, really totally pleased with Fabio's progress as well. His myspace used to be like, totally, so not dreamy 3 years ago, but like, OMG, it's like soooooooooo totally dreamy now.

[/12 year old girl]

:flame: Shut Up Meathead, else the army of Nelsonmania shall overrun! :flame:

http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com/images/fathat28.jpg

coolhand
06-22-06, 05:39 PM
All,,, the drivers are great.

Ankf00
06-22-06, 05:54 PM

[/12 year old girl]

not cool to mock Dan Petit's daughter on the intarweb :gomer:

NismoZ
06-22-06, 06:09 PM
OMG. Corky is a 12 yr. old girl!? I KNEW it!

rabbit
06-22-06, 07:36 PM
OMG. Corky is a 12 yr. old girl!? I KNEW it!
:rofl:

RHR_Fan
06-22-06, 09:56 PM
If I wear my "I love Nelson Philippe" t-shirt in Toronto will that make me weird? :D

For the record, I do not own nor plan on owning a t-shirt like that.

~Nicole

oddlycalm
06-22-06, 10:03 PM
Not sure how much of it is Fabio. The bigger picture is that CTE-HVM had a helluva weekend for a team with a pair of very young drivers. Their pits were between Rusport and PKV and they looked a lot more like Rusport this weekend than PKV.

Nobody was more surprised than me. Whether it's Wiggins or whomever, somebody is doing something right in that organization. I might have missed something, but from what I saw neither driver screwed anything up from practice through qualifying and to the end of the race. Clarke's cut down tire was the only thing that kept him off the podium.

oc

Edit - look for HVM to finish 4th in points this year.

dando
06-22-06, 10:19 PM
If I wear my "I love Nelson Philippe" t-shirt in Toronto will that make me weird? :D

For the record, I do not own nor plan on owning a t-shirt like that.

~Nicole
Yeah, but you could always borrow Spickly's. :gomer:

-Kevin

grungex
06-22-06, 10:37 PM
Are you trying to suggest you're not already weird? :D

Easy
06-23-06, 11:18 AM
Easy there, killer...just funnin' ya. Seems most users on CC forums swear that when those guys followed the yen to IRL, someone drilled holes in the back of their heads and drained all the talent out of them. :D

I was a little edgy from work yesterday, I have since decompressed with an appropriate amount of booze and will resume relaxed posting activity.

We now return to you regularly scheduled Nelsonmania.

RHR_Fan
06-23-06, 11:25 AM
Are you trying to suggest you're not already weird? :D

Hey be nice! I didn't have anything at Milwaukee now did I?

~Nicole

Gangrel
06-23-06, 11:36 AM
Since when is weird not nice? ;)

grungex
06-23-06, 01:51 PM
Hey be nice! I didn't have anything at Milwaukee now did I?

~Nicole
I'm nice, just teasin' ya. And I prefer weird, anyway. ;)

I'd be perfectly fine with it if you wore an "I love Nelson" shirt.