PDA

View Full Version : any news on Miami RB MaGehee?

Ziggy
01-06-03, 06:01 PM
I heard on the radio on my way to work this morning that they are considering amputation to this young man's leg? I have heard of this before with ACL injuries. Does anyone have any news?

Ziggy

mnkywrch
01-06-03, 06:05 PM
That's news to me.

ESPN.com says he's had repairs to two torn ligaments.

rabbit
01-06-03, 06:12 PM
CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) — Miami running back Willis McGahee had surgery Sunday on two torn ligaments in his left knee following a crushing hit during a Fiesta Bowl loss to Ohio State.
The All-American sophomore was operated on for four-to-five hours at HealthSouth Doctors Hospital, next to the campus, school spokesman Doug Walker said.
Dr. John Uribe, who performed the surgery, declined to set a timetable for McGahee's return.
``Willis tolerated the procedure very well,'' Uribe said in a statement. ``If nature does its job and his rehabilitation goes well, he should be able to make a full recovery.''
Doctors found torn anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments but no tear to the posterior collateral ligament. Assistant coach Don Soldinger said Saturday that McGahee had torn all three ligaments.
McGahee was injured early in the fourth quarter of Friday's game, a 31-24 double-overtime victory by Ohio State for the national championship.
He took a screen pass from Ken Dorsey on third-and-10 from the Ohio State 35 and was hit by Will Allen for a 2-yard loss. McGahee had to be helped from the field. He was in severe pain much of the night, coaches said.
McGahee ran for a school-record 1,686 yards and 27 touchdowns this season and was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy.

Napoleon
01-06-03, 06:16 PM
I heard he underwent surgery, I think yesterday. I thought I heard that it was a long surgery for what he is reported to have.

I have had several friends undergo ACL surgery. There is never a "rush" to do an ACL because you simply brace the leg prior to the surgury. Its not painful (in and of itself) to have a busted ACL and one friend took a couple months talking to Dr. since there are several versions of what can be done.

Ziggy
01-06-03, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the response, I hope everything works out well. Its another reason I never hold it against a kid for coming out of school to get paid for playing a sport

Ziggy

rabbit
01-06-03, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Its another reason I never hold it against a kid for coming out of school to get paid for playing a sport

Ziggy

"Stay in school? If you're smart, you won't do it" (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/columnists/orl-sptbianchi05010503jan05,0,758959.column)

I couldn't agree more.

Foxman
01-06-03, 06:35 PM
Originally they thought Willis had a torn ACL, MCL, and PCL, before or during surgery they found the PCL to be intact, the ACL and MCL were repaired by Dr Uribe in a 4.5hr surgery, they seem to think that it is possible for Willis to make a full recovery, for his sake I hope he does, he's a good guy. He was projected to be the first RB picked in the draft, obviously this isn't going to happen, he'll rehab next season (he'll have to apply for a medical redshirt since he's already used his redshirt)and return for his senior year in 04. It takes about 2 full years to fully recover from this kind of ligament damage if you ever fully recover.

mapguy
01-06-03, 06:38 PM
I thought we were talking about Robbie MaGeeheehee.

JoeBob
01-06-03, 06:40 PM
Here's another story on his surgery: http://espn.go.com/ncf/bowls02/s/fiesta_mcgaheesurgery.html Apparently, he tore the same ACL when he was in High School. His half brother is also quoted as saying that he had less pain this time than last time. (Of course, it is entirely possible that he is putting a "its not so bad" spin on it to help his pro-possibilities.)

I wonder if somewhere along the line somebody got the McGahee story confused with Toronto Maple Leafs forward Mikael Renberg's story. There was some consideration given to amputating his hand:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/2003/0103/1486475.html

DaveL
01-06-03, 11:36 PM
There is "recovery", and then there's "recovery".

He may recover to the point where he can walk and run again. But that doesn't mean that he'll recover to the point where he can run, cut and accelerate like he did before the injury.

See Carter, Ki Jana

Classic Apex
01-06-03, 11:40 PM
The young MaGehee should probably see this injury as a blessing in disguise.

The Chicago Bears wanted to draft him.

(just a little humor, folks)

SteveH
01-07-03, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Brian Ericson
The young MaGehee should probably see this injury as a blessing in disguise.

The Chicago Bears wanted to draft him.

(just a little humor, folks)

Unfortunately, they probably will.

Lizzerd
01-07-03, 02:05 AM
Perhaps his injury might just persuade him to actually earn a degree and make a living for himself.

I'd still rather have millions of dollars in the bank before I ever started a career, though. He had a very lucrative stint in the NFL awaiting him. Probably not to be now... very sad.

mnkywrch
01-07-03, 08:54 AM
Apparently, he took out a 2.5 million dollar insurance policy just in case he got hurt.

article (http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/news/2003/0106/1488252.html)

WickerBill
01-07-03, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
Apparently, he took out a 2.5 million dollar insurance policy just in case he got hurt.

article (http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/news/2003/0106/1488252.html)

I saw that. Smart kid, but I bet he wishes he had anted up some more now.

WB

Foxman
01-07-03, 09:01 AM
I think that he got as much insurance as he could, or at least as much as his family could afford. Dr Uribe seems to be confident that Willis will return to playing, had he torn his PCL I don't think he'd be so optimistic, in any case, if he does play again he will not be himself for a few years.