PDA

View Full Version : Funny story from Portland F&C morning meeting

racermike
06-20-06, 05:38 PM
Jimmy (Swintal) is speaking to us, before we started heading for our for the Atlantic race sunday, and told us a funny anecdote (may or may not be true, but the way he told it, I would go for the former)

Apparently, Dale Coyne hides a case of Sonny's BBQ sauce, somewhere around the course, and its up to his drivers to find it. Whoever finds it, gets paid, whoever doesnt, well, doesnt. If nobody finds it, neither get paid.

Jimmy mentioned to us, because apparently, by sunday morning, nobody had found it.

We all digressed at that point, discussing what procedure to take if a driver "found it" during the race. Put a debris flag out? Keep whatever is left for worker party? Bribe driver to give cut of money?

matthole
06-20-06, 10:15 PM
Funny story. I'll go with 'not true', since there is no evidence that any DCR drivers 'get paid'. :D
Maybe Dale tells 'em that, and they are like Montoya in the Target commercial, snipe hunting.

devilmaster
06-20-06, 11:35 PM
reminds me of the 'Find the hidden case of Canadian Club Whiskey' promotion way back when........

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_185.html

theunions
06-21-06, 12:16 AM
Are they supposed to physically go out to whereever it is alongside the course and point it out (which sounds too time-consuming/distracting), or is it supposed to be visible at a distance while driving (which sounds too easy)?

grafddrx7
06-21-06, 01:00 AM
If he's "hiding" the case of sauce at the apex to a corner, then he's got problems if his drivers can't find it... :p

Kinda reminds me of when Jaguar put diamonds in the nose of their cars for the Monaco GP, and one crashed... GONE!!!

Rus'L
06-21-06, 08:43 AM
If he's "hiding" the case of sauce at the apex to a corner, then he's got problems if his drivers can't find it... :p

Kinda reminds me of when Jaguar put diamonds in the nose of their cars for the Monaco GP, and one crashed... GONE!!!

I never believed they actually lost that diamond. I think it was a big made up for PR myth.

Sean O'Gorman
06-21-06, 12:13 PM
Coyne drivers getting a paycheck? That is hilarious!

TravelGal
06-21-06, 08:32 PM
I never believed they actually lost that diamond. I think it was a big made up for PR myth.

oh NO. Another myth gone. I always loved that story.

Anteater
06-22-06, 06:44 PM
It's a good story anyway, racermike. :)

wood-eye
06-24-06, 01:12 AM
We finally met RACERMIKE..we thought he was a fictional character......we even camp in the same area..have both camped there for years but couldn't find him...and even carried a gift from Manic in the RV for him for a year and finally gave it back...Nice to have met him in Portland.

"Jimmy Swintal?????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He allows us to call him Mr. Swintal.

Actually he is heading up the first Scoring and Timing and Race Control Tour held for Inner Circle members...in Toronto...we are excited to say the least.

He was one of our speakers in Houston at the Inner Circle Breakfast.

He is selling a print in Cleveland to celebrate the anniversary...you can email him if you want to buy a copy.

That's about it. Our Portland pictures are up on our yahoo site at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/davidcharleswood/my_photos

Wood-eye