PDA

View Full Version : Scanner Recommendation?

TedN
06-20-06, 02:23 PM
I am looking at purchasing a flatbed scanner, primary purpose is for day-to-day general scanning and photocopying. But I also intend to digitize all my 35mm slides, negatives and photos - several hundred in total.

I am considering the HP Scanjet 4890 (4800x9600 dpi) but have read mixed reviews - Consumer Reports liked it; PC Magazine didn't.

Tiger Direct (Canada) has a rebated price of $174.99 till the end of July, which appears to be very competitive.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks in advance.

Ted

oddlycalm
06-20-06, 03:14 PM
Not surprised about the mixed reviews. At that price I wouldn't expect much. I'd also look at the Epsons first. After the last few HP products we've bought I doubt we will ever buy another.

If you are really serious about doing slides, and have an expectation of the unit lasting for more than a few months, you will need to spend around 10 times the money. The $150-$250 scanners are consumer products and the specs quoted are silly, as anyone that does any amount of scanning can tell you. 4800 x 9600 dpi resolution? Is that optical resolution? How long does it take to scan at that resolution, all day?

Depending on your budget and expectations, the Epson 1680 pro might be a good choice. It does nice work and is reliable over the long haul. It's the best slide scanning solution I've seen short of an actual slide scanner and is reliable over the long haul. They call it a professional model, but that's a laugh. A pro would be using a Nikon Coolscan or similar.

oc

cameraman
06-20-06, 04:26 PM
Consumer Reports advice is aimed at the lowest common denominator general public. They focus on the low end equipment, the semi professional stuff never makes the magazine. You might look at the Epson Perfection V700 or V750-M (http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63056500)

Give or take $500 and $700 USD range

G.
02-24-08, 01:48 PM
So wadja get? I'm looking too, for a low-end flatbed scanner.

Photos, 8.5x11, no slides, negatives, just utilitarian-ish. But, the best.:p

Ease of use is good. If it just pisses me off, then not so good.

Any recommendations?

racermike
02-25-08, 01:42 AM
Why not just invest in a good all-in-one printer? (that copys, prints, faxes, scans)

Most of the ones in the $250-400 range do a very fine job. That way you dont need to have multiple things hooked up.

I have a nice HP all in one, that scans PERFECT, and prints beautiful color documents and photos

cameraman
02-25-08, 04:07 AM
You might look at the Epson Perfection V700 (http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63056499). We have one and it is excellent.

Give or take $500 USD range