PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR to phase in unleaded fuel. In other news, NASCAR uses leaded fuel?!?

rabbit
06-19-06, 08:50 PM
Linkage (http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news;_ylt=Anb9AbxFlFdauKhwDBOlO7Xov7YF?slug=ap-nascar-unleadedfuel&prov=ap&type=lgns)

emjaya
06-19-06, 09:17 PM
I don't see the the big problem here.The V8 Supercars have been using unleaded fuel for a few years now and they have the same engines as NASCAR.The only difference is the Supercars have fuel injection,7500 rpm limit and 10-1 compression limit.

:)

B3RACER1a
06-19-06, 09:38 PM
Welcome to the early 70's...LOL! :rofl:

coolhand
06-19-06, 10:51 PM
I heard Robert Yates is inventing these things called "fuel injectors".

B3RACER1a
06-19-06, 11:15 PM
And they use a COM-PUTE-TOORR

eiregosod
06-20-06, 12:30 AM
There was a study done a year ago about how he lead fumes from the cabs make people in the nascar paddock a little dumb.

FCYTravis
06-20-06, 06:40 AM
In other other news, those high-tech Mazda-powered Champ Car Atlantics use leaded fuel too. So do Star Mazdas. Lots of road-racing cars run leaded gas. A non-issue, really.

TKGAngel
06-20-06, 08:20 AM
In other other news, those high-tech Mazda-powered Champ Car Atlantics use leaded fuel too. So do Star Mazdas. Lots of road-racing cars run leaded gas. A non-issue, really.

So they don't use methanol? For some reason, I thought they did.

Learn something new everyday, I guess.

rabbit
06-20-06, 11:06 AM
I wasn't saying it was an issue. It was just something I didn't know.

B3RACER1a
06-20-06, 06:11 PM
Doesnt make much sense really. There are some modifications to do this change, and if it doesnt mean anything, then why spend the money? :confused:

ferrarigod
06-20-06, 07:47 PM

Do those same Mazda Atlantics and Star Mazda's run carburetors also? :rolleyes:

Rogue Leader
06-20-06, 08:48 PM
Hell go to almost ANY race track gas pump that has any octane 100 or over it will be leaded....

coolhand
06-20-06, 09:20 PM
Don't many SCCA races run leaded fuel? I knew somone who went to a race with his car on a full tank of regular and he was pissed he had to drain it all out becuase they would not let him run it. This was a few years ago.

racer2c
06-20-06, 10:13 PM
The point is NASCAR is retarded. It doesn't matter if you mother still runs regular gas a Chebby and Dodge have Ford 9 inch rears, solid axle at that.

:gomer: :gomer: :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
06-20-06, 10:14 PM
When I was at Beaverun about a week and a half ago they had four grades of fuel and half of them were leaded.

FCYTravis
06-20-06, 10:22 PM
Don't many SCCA races run leaded fuel? I knew somone who went to a race with his car on a full tank of regular and he was pissed he had to drain it all out becuase they would not let him run it. This was a few years ago.
Yep. In certain classes (GT and Prod come to mind right away...) the officials can run a dielectric test to check for prohibited oxygenates, hyped-up fuel additives, etc. The oxygenates that are already included in most pump gas will trigger those tests - and hence there's no way to tell whether you've doped it up with megabuck chemicals. So if you fail the test, you're out, whether it's because you're running 10% ethanol pump gas or 10% nitromethane firebreathing VP stuff.

FCYTravis
06-20-06, 10:23 PM
Do those same Mazda Atlantics and Star Mazda's run carburetors also? :rolleyes:
The Star Mazdas did, right up until they debuted the new Renesis-package car. The Atlantics were also carbed way later than you'd expect - into the 1990s, I believe. Some club Atlantic cars still run with carbs.

Fio1
06-20-06, 10:54 PM
Welcome to the early 70's...LOL! :rofl:

Any race car that uses a chain link to conect the sway bar, is old school. :rolleyes:

FanofMario
06-20-06, 11:20 PM
The point is NASCAR is retarded. It doesn't matter if you mother still runs regular gas a Chebby and Dodge have Ford 9 inch rears, solid axle at that.

:gomer: :gomer: :gomer:

:thumbup:

Easy
06-21-06, 11:03 AM
The Star Mazdas did, right up until they debuted the new Renesis-package car. The Atlantics were also carbed way later than you'd expect - into the 1990s, I believe. Some club Atlantic cars still run with carbs.

And Pro FF2000 until 2002.