PDA

View Full Version : Dominguez out

cameraman
06-12-06, 03:38 AM
Press release

Forsythe Championship Racing and Mario Dominguez Decide to Part Ways

Wheeling, Illinois - June 12th, 2006 - Forsythe Championship Racing and Mario Dominguez announced today that they have mutually agreed to terminate their relationship. Effective immediately, Mario Dominguez will no longer be the driver of Forsythe's #7 INDECK Ford-Cosworth/Bridgestone/Lola in the Champ Car World Series.

Dominguez and the Forsythe team have enjoyed a fair share of success together; their most recent accomplishment was securing the Bridgestone Pole Position at the Houston Grand Prix, which was a career first for Dominguez. Unfortunately, changes in the engineering structure of the team no longer suit both parties and it was mutually agreed that the best direction forward would be to part ways.

Mario Dominguez

"My management and I have decided that it is in the best interest of my career to part ways with Forsythe Championship Racing. I was in a position where playing # 2 in the team was not what I wanted to do this early in the Championship, so I believe what's best for my career is to go somewhere where I can be a leader. I will pursue other opportunities in another team in Champ Car, Formula1, NASCAR or the IRL. And I will always be grateful to Mr. Forsythe for having given me the chance to drive for his team."

Neil Micklewright, VP of Team Operations

"Even though we are always a strong contender at every event that we go to, we know that we still have a lot of work to do to be able to beat the other leading contenders. We've been struggling with the development of our cars and our setups for some time because of very different driver setup references. We believe that this restructuring of the team will be beneficial for us and will help put us back in the hunt for the Championship."

Jerry Forsythe, Team Owner

"These decisions are never easy, but after very close look at the way our team works we've decided that this is the best direction for us to follow. Mario is a talented driver and he did a good job for us. I am confident that he will be able to continue his racing career with great results and successes, and we wish him the best of luck."

No replacement driver announced in this press release.

coolhand
06-12-06, 03:42 AM
I hope someday somone will come up with another term then "decide to part ways".

cameraman
06-12-06, 03:43 AM
Besides "fired his ***"?

emjaya
06-12-06, 04:05 AM
I will pursue other opportunities in another team in Champ Car, Formula1, NASCAR or the IRL.

GP2, F3, Formula Ford, Formula Vee, anything, I'll take ANYTHING. PLEASE GOD, ANYTHING!!!

:gomer: :D

Lux Interior
06-12-06, 06:51 AM
I'll bet he gets a ride with Dale Coyne. I'd take it. Mario is not a bad racer, he just made a couple of mistakes, that's all.

Cam
06-12-06, 10:03 AM
I'll bet he gets a ride with Dale Coyne. I'd take it. Mario is not a bad racer, he just made a couple of mistakes, that's all.

I dunno. I'd say taking out PT when he's your teammate is more of monumental F-up than a mistake.... :D

Fio1
06-12-06, 10:09 AM
I dunno. I'd say taking out PT when he's your teammate is more of monumental F-up than a mistake.... :D

Ya, but both times it was as they say in Nascar, "one of them racing deals." If he had taken out PT in a Cheever-Marco at the Glen type moves, then I would understand!

NismoZ
06-12-06, 10:12 AM
Gee, who do you think will replace him?

Ed_Severson
06-12-06, 10:21 AM

Super sub!

http://www.f1photographs.co.uk/images/Roberto%20Moreno%2015d_JPG.jpg

jcollins28
06-12-06, 10:26 AM
I hope someday somone will come up with another term then "decide to part ways".

http://www.myshortpencil.com/schooltalk/messages/2/2676.jpg

Dr. Corkski
06-12-06, 11:53 AM
Mario Dominguez

"My management and I have decided that it is in the best interest of my career to part ways with Forsythe Championship Racing. I was in a position where playing # 2 in the team was not what I wanted to do this early in the Championship, so I believe what's best for my career is to go somewhere where I can be a leader. I will pursue other opportunities in another team in Champ Car, Formula1, NASCAR or the IRL. And I will always be grateful to Mr. Forsythe for having given me the chance to drive for his team."Juan Pablo Dominguez. :gomer:

Spicoli
06-12-06, 11:54 AM
Juan Pablo Dominguez. :gomer:

god damn dood. do you like ANY drivers? :shakehead

Ed_Severson
06-12-06, 11:55 AM
Not since the Servia Fanboy Club crapped out in '02. :gomer:

Gangrel
06-12-06, 12:04 PM
god damn dood. do you like ANY drivers? :shakehead

hehe...have to admit...I liked Juan a lot better when he went back across the pond than I did when he was smokin' everyone here....Especially with Schuey tearing everything up over there. I liked JPM in kind of a King Kong vs. Godzilla kind of a way... :laugh:

Accipiter
06-12-06, 12:08 PM
"changes in the engineering structure of the team no longer suit both parties and it was mutually agreed that the best direction forward would be to part ways."

What a steaming load. Why not just say nothing at all?

Dr. Corkski
06-12-06, 12:21 PM
god damn dood. do you like ANY drivers? :shakeheadGaston Mazzacane. Still waiting for that CCIC letter from him. :gomer:

Fitti Fan
06-12-06, 12:33 PM

Um, remember the days of Dario and Paul as teammates?

Rob
06-12-06, 12:45 PM
"I was in a position where playing # 2 in the team was not what I wanted to do this early in the Championship, so I believe what's best for my career is to go somewhere where I can be a leader."
It's all making sense to me. Da Matta to RuSport, where he can use his experience in car setup to take the team to the next level; Allmendinger to Forsythe, where Tracy can help guide him like he used to years ago; and Dominguez to Coyne, where he can be the team's undisputed #1 driver.

Racing Truth
06-12-06, 12:55 PM
Press release

No replacement driver announced in this press release.

It'll take time to dot the I's and cross the T's with AJ. ;)

Good news all around. :cool: :thumbup:

skaven
06-12-06, 01:07 PM
It's all making sense to me. Da Matta to RuSport, where he can use his experience in car setup to take the team to the next level; Allmendinger to Forsythe, where Tracy can help guide him like he used to years ago; and Dominguez to Coyne, where he can be the team's undisputed #1 driver.

Absolutely ! ! ! :thumbup:

Ruben Barrios
06-12-06, 01:29 PM
Yes it all makes sense...

Porky Tracy without a teammate that makes him look like a moron every time at qualifying...

Happened with Carpentier too.. As a matter of fact it happens with every team mate Pork has...

This is far to reaching... Most won't understand the damage that has been done until it's too late...

Spicoli
06-12-06, 01:40 PM

Porky Tracy without a teammate that makes him look like a moron every time at qualifying...

Happened with Carpentier too.. As a matter of fact it happens with every team mate Pork has...

This is far to reaching... Most won't understand the damage that has been done until it's too late...

Oh please. :rolleyes:

oddlycalm
06-12-06, 02:14 PM
This is far to reaching... Most won't understand the damage that has been done until it's too late... While I understand what you refer to, rookie mistakes are supposed to stop at some point. When the years go by and they don't, this is what happens.

oc

Lux Interior
06-12-06, 02:58 PM

I like Heinz Harold Schumacher. That's guy would kick a$$ in a champcar :gomer:

NismoZ
06-12-06, 03:02 PM
No, AJ is all set at Forsythe but Mario doesn't really WANT to go with Coyne. I think I can understand both of those moves.

Dr. Corkski
06-12-06, 03:04 PM
No, AJ is all set at Forsythe but Mario doesn't really WANT to go with Coyne. I think I can understand both of those moves.http://www.orlyowl.com/orly.jpg

NismoZ
06-12-06, 03:09 PM
Holy sh...you are better looking than I thought! :D

Accipiter
06-12-06, 03:59 PM
It's all making sense to me. Da Matta to RuSport, where he can use his experience in car setup to take the team to the next level;

Because that worked so well for PKV last season!

Willam
06-12-06, 04:24 PM

Because we all know that Mario is SO MUCH BETTER than Tracy... :gomer:

The guy's an idiot and was only at Forsythe because they felt they needed him to get butts in the seats at Monterrey and Mexico City, it's not working, he's an idiot, he's not selling tickets...he's gone, I say good riddance.

Dirty Sanchez
06-12-06, 04:38 PM
http://www.forumspile.com/O_RLY-Ya-Rly.jpg

indyfan31
06-12-06, 04:39 PM
Because that worked so well for PKV last season!
Well, they did get their first win.

Dr. Corkski
06-12-06, 04:46 PM
http://www.orlyowl.com/nowai.jpg

Hameroids
06-12-06, 07:43 PM
"I was in a position where playing # 2

His driving was a big #2. Hasta baby.

Ruben Barrios
06-12-06, 08:05 PM
That same arrogance killed FTG and CART... remember...

Not one series is bigger than fans...

Obviously you want to shut mexican fans down...

ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE... HOPE PEOPLE DON'T REGRET THIS...

Rob
06-12-06, 09:07 PM

Huh? Mario may have outqualified Paul three times out of four races this year, but he beat him only twice in all of 2005, and one of those races was at floor-it-and-steer Las Vegas.

coolhand
06-12-06, 10:55 PM
oh nos don't bash tracy :o

rabbit
06-12-06, 11:15 PM
Tracy was a No. 2 (or 3) driver virtually everywhere he drove until he joined Forsythe. And the only way he could win a championship there was with a watered down field and considerable help from his teammate.

Lux Interior
06-12-06, 11:31 PM
Oh now ladies - no time for fighting. Mario will get ride, and I predict more Mexican involvement in champcar in the future when the new chassis is here.

I have really enjoyed the Mexican presence in CART/Champcar so far and right now I think it's an econominc thing. I think we will see it come back though. Everything runs in cycles, and now is just a down cycle. I think the future is bright. :thumbup:

Lux Interior
06-12-06, 11:32 PM
http://www.orlyowl.com/orly.jpg

That might just be the funniest thing I have seen posted yet. The LOOK on that birds face. Really look at it. Damm is that TFF :rofl:

racer2c
06-12-06, 11:48 PM
Oh now ladies - no time for fighting. Mario will get ride, and I predict more Mexican involvement in champcar in the future when the new chassis is here.

I have really enjoyed the Mexican presence in CART/Champcar so far and right now I think it's an econominc thing. I think we will see it come back though. Everything runs in cycles, and now is just a down cycle. I think the future is bright. :thumbup:

,,, ,,,, ,,,,

Joelski
06-13-06, 12:21 AM
,,, ,,,, ,,,,

Needs more me.

Willam
06-13-06, 12:26 AM
That same arrogance killed FTG and CART... remember...

Not one series is bigger than fans...

Obviously you want to shut mexican fans down...

ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE... HOPE PEOPLE DON'T REGRET THIS...

So, wait. You're saying that he should keep his ride because his mexican and they race in mexico?? And that firing an underachiever driver is arrogance?
I mean, yeah...clearly the firing of Mario is a way to shut down mexican fans... :gomer:

A little ditty in Spanish. Yo soy mexicano, chilango. Sacate la cabeza del culo cabron no mames, lo corrieron por malo no por otra cosa. Si piensas que calificar adelante de el 5 carreras de 20 y tantas lo hacer mejor que Tracy si estas de la chingada...

chop456
06-13-06, 02:18 AM
Tienes una boca sucia, Guillermo. :gomer:

coolhand
06-13-06, 02:48 AM
Mexico has dissapeared from CC, when and if the money comes back is the time to invest in Mexicans agian. It all fell apart when AF left for honda bucks. It drove Tecate off, Corona had no Tecate there to compete with so they left. Gigante was peeved by Rahal bailing.

Fitti Fan
06-13-06, 03:05 AM
oh nos don't bash tracy :o

You mean they're taking over this site too?

Lux Interior
06-13-06, 06:49 AM
Mexico has dissapeared from CC, when and if the money comes back is the time to invest in Mexicans agian. It all fell apart when AF left for honda bucks. It drove Tecate off, Corona had no Tecate there to compete with so they left. Gigante was peeved by Rahal bailing.

This is a very good point. Ferandez leaving really hurt things. Didn't he also run a Telmex Sponsored Atlantic Team? We also used to have that Roberto Gonzalez Corona car that I always thought was awesome looking.

Rahal leaving and Jourdain going was the final nail in the coffin. It's too bad. :thumdown:

gjc2
06-13-06, 07:28 AM
Gigante was peeved by Rahal bailing.

Didn't Rahal say he went to the IRL because that's what his sponsors wanted?

George

tllips
06-13-06, 08:47 AM

George

Yes, and then when Jourdain wanted to stay in Champcar, so did Gigante! :thumbup:

Insomniac
06-13-06, 08:59 AM

George

He left out the part that his sponsorship was from Honda.

Insomniac
06-13-06, 09:01 AM
Mexico has dissapeared from CC, when and if the money comes back is the time to invest in Mexicans agian.

Or do you need Mexicans to get Mexican sponsorship and support?

Dirty Sanchez
06-13-06, 09:48 AM
http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/srsly-40515.jpg

Easy
06-13-06, 09:54 AM
Ferandez leaving really hurt things. Didn't he also run a Telmex Sponsored Atlantic Team? :

Telmex had a driver development/sponsorship plan similar to Player's. Luis Diaz had the Telmex $$ in Atlantics with Doricott and still carries it with Ganassi in Grand Am. After Diaz did Atlantics they started sending their guys to Europe but the whole deal seems to have gone away.

nrc
06-13-06, 10:38 AM
Hopefully the series will have Dominguez or some popular Mexican (from Mexico) in a competitive ride. Mexico City is a great event and a great circuit. It would be a shame to lose it from the schedule.

Spicoli
06-13-06, 11:58 AM
Hopefully the series will have Dominguez or some popular Mexican (from Mexico) in a competitive ride. Mexico City is a great event and a great circuit. It would be a shame to lose it from the schedule.

3 day festibal. no one care about the dribers.

Willam
06-13-06, 12:35 PM

To be fair. The people from Tecate said that they were leaving Fernandez to focus on sponsoring events before the decisition to go to the IRL was made. This was straight from the people at Tecate, not the people from Fernandez.

Willam
06-13-06, 12:37 PM
Tienes una boca sucia, Guillermo. :gomer:

Yeah, sorry 'bout that but that guy just really pi$$ed me off...

Ruben Barrios
06-13-06, 12:42 PM
So, wait. You're saying that he should keep his ride because his mexican and they race in mexico?? And that firing an underachiever driver is arrogance?
I mean, yeah...clearly the firing of Mario is a way to shut down mexican fans... :gomer:

A little ditty in Spanish. Yo soy mexicano, chilango. Sacate la cabeza del culo cabron no mames, lo corrieron por malo no por otra cosa. Si piensas que calificar adelante de el 5 carreras de 20 y tantas lo hacer mejor que Tracy si estas de la chingada...

Wow! To bad you need to hide what you said in spanish... Guess Anonimity and standing behind a computer makes you a very brave person...
You live in Mexico City? I would google Ruben Barrios Graff and "controlaria del distrito federal"... I don't hide behind my coputer to say what I want... I wonder who's head is in their @rse after all...

Willam
06-13-06, 01:50 PM
Wow! To bad you need to hide what you said in spanish... Guess Anonimity and standing behind a computer makes you a very brave person...
You live in Mexico City? I would google Ruben Barrios Graff and "controlaria del distrito federal"... I don't hide behind my coputer to say what I want... I wonder who's head is in their @rse after all...

So, wait. You get mad because they fire a mexican driver, a guy you don't even know, that was fired because of pretty fair reasons and now you get your panties in a bunch and call me out? :gomer:

You want me to translate to english what I wrote?

"Yo soy mexicano, chilango. Sacate la cabeza del culo cabron no mames, lo corrieron por malo no por otra cosa. Si piensas que calificar adelante de el 5 carreras de 20 y tantas lo hacer mejor que Tracy si estas de la chingada..."

"I'm mexican, from Mexico City. Get your head out of your a** f****r. he was fired because he stunk, not anything else. If you think qualifying in front of PT 5 races out of 20 something makes him better you're pretty f****d up"

There you go. :)

PS.- If you think "revealing" who you are and that you work for the government of Mexico City (one of the most crooked governments in the country) makes you a bigger man that I am, then so be it. You're the bigger man :gomer:

BTW.- I never said I lived in Mexico City, I'm from Mexico City. I currently live in Indy, so if you're ever up here gimme a shout, I'll buy you a beer.

Hurling Frootmig
06-13-06, 02:43 PM
Here's what it comes down to:

Don't crash into your teammate after the team give him a five year extension!

I'd dump Mario for his recent boneheads crashes within the team for A.J. in a heartbeat. No offense to Mario but I'll take the better driver if given the chance. Racing is not a charity sport and one unsponsored driver who is average versus one unsponsored driver who looks to be much better . . . I'll take the later.

oddlycalm
06-13-06, 03:20 PM
Obviously you want to shut mexican fans down I'm not sure that is obvious at all, either from the people here or the series. Quite the contrary in fact.

oc

Spicoli
06-13-06, 03:50 PM
Stoopid Mario sucks.

I currently live in Indy, so if you're ever up here gimme a shout, I'll buy you a beer.

Agreed. Me too, I'm game for a beer. I'll be at the bar at 5:30 :thumbup:

Ruben Barrios
06-13-06, 04:17 PM
I'll agree to that beer... maybe in person we will more civilized and understand each other better...

I actually don't work fro the government... I investigate the governmet...

Lizzerd
06-13-06, 05:22 PM
I actually don't work fro the government... I investigate the governmet...

Ever find anythng? Like integrity, intelligence... Stuff like that?

Ruben Barrios
06-13-06, 06:04 PM
You'd be surprised, not all the @@it that stinks comes from Mexico, this country has quite some @@it in it's drawers...

I would never go around all soiled calling people on their stinky drawers... I have no idea whay some people in some countries do in fact run around like that...

Now I am not saying our @@it don't stink... but, we don't call on other country's stink outloud... Just food for thought.

nrc
06-13-06, 06:19 PM
A few folks here need to be a bit more civil. Discuss the points being made, not the people making them.

Lizzerd
06-13-06, 08:23 PM
You'd be surprised, not all the @@it that stinks comes from Mexico, this country has quite some @@it in it's drawers...

I would never go around all soiled calling people on their stinky drawers... I have no idea whay some people in some countries do in fact run around like that...

Now I am not saying our @@it don't stink... but, we don't call on other country's stink outloud... Just food for thought.

Sorry. I didn't mean to reference any government in particular. Just government in general. I didn't mean it as a slam.

Willam
06-13-06, 11:50 PM
A few folks here need to be a bit more civil. Discuss the points being made, not the people making them.

Ok. Stoopid Mario got fired, hopefully AJ gets the ride, the race in Mexico City continues yadah yadah yadah I'll be at the Classy Chassy with Jr. if you need me :thumbup:

JohnHKart
06-14-06, 02:49 AM
Hmmm... "Mario did a good job for us". I always remember hilarious quotes like this. I might have to stick this in the great Cart quotes book....My number one favorite is Dale Coyne's 1995 "Hiro has shown from time to time the ability to get the job done." :eek:

John

Insomniac
06-14-06, 09:29 AM
Hmmm... "Mario did a good job for us". I always remember hilarious quotes like this. I might have to stick this in the great Cart quotes book....My number one favorite is Dale Coyne's 1995 "Hiro has shown from time to time the ability to get the job done." :eek:

John

That seems right to me. Aside from punting PT in what you'd call a racing incident or overly aggresive move if he didn't take out his teammate, he did a good job. Now they're hoping someone can do a great job.

trauma1
06-14-06, 01:58 PM
i was always confused on why he was at FCR in the 1st place, see all the Mexican fans are on the warpath, but mario really sucked, hpoefully coyne will byepass him, like he really helped ticket sales any way

Dr. Corkski
06-14-06, 02:03 PM
i was always confused on why he was at FCR in the 1st place, see all the Mexican fans are on the warpath, but mario really sucked, hpoefully coyne will byepass him, like he really helped ticket sales any wayMario Dominguez backbreaking POS crap wanker. :gomer:

Insomniac
06-14-06, 02:10 PM
i was always confused on why he was at FCR in the 1st place, see all the Mexican fans are on the warpath, but mario really sucked, hpoefully coyne will byepass him, like he really helped ticket sales any way

Dominguez turned in a pretty good season at Herdez before joining FCR. I'm sure a key part of him joining the team was he was the only Mexican left. If you recall. Lavin was there the year before.

Ankf00
06-14-06, 02:13 PM
http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/srsly-40514.jpg

trauma1
06-14-06, 02:18 PM
Dominguez turned in a pretty good season at Herdez before joining FCR. I'm sure a key part of him joining the team was he was the only Mexican left. If you recall. Lavin was there the year before.
i know Lavin brought Corona $$, but Mario was a real reach, WTF both sucked

TedN
06-15-06, 07:35 AM
Here is an extract from Tracy's column at autosport.com today, commenting on the driver situation ...

... Now Mario has gone from the team, and I guess a lot of people think that's because he wiped me out for the second time in four races. That's not the case. What happened in Milwaukee was the icing on the cake, it wasn't the whole deal.

What Neil [Micklewright, Forsythe's VP of Operations] said in the press release last week was correct: it was an engineering issue. Mario did a lot of manoeuvring over the winter to get his engineer of choice, Michael Cannon [his engineer at HVM Racing], and then led his side of the team down a path that was basically reverting the car back to 2003 spec.

Well, Forsythe's spent all this money on wind-tunnel work and damper programmes, differential dynos, and so on - a long, long way away from the window in which Mario wanted to run the car.

The team wanted to accommodate him, and get him the engineer that he wanted and let him get back to basics, but completely changing the car and refusing to come back to where the team's migrated to in terms of set-ups over the past couple of seasons just isn't the way forward. And really it was becoming a conflict in the engineering department.

One side of the team wasn't learning from the other - and to even talk about a team having different sides is not healthy, is it? But that's how it was: one team actually operating like two separate teams.

Then at Long Beach Mario takes a bunch of people out including me. Then Houston happened and he threw away a race win, and then there was Milwaukee. Like I said, icing on the cake. I feel bad for Mario, he's a nice guy and I have no problem with him, but the Milwaukee screw-up was just the end of a whole sequence of circumstances.

So now we're seventh in the championship with 59 points and Sebastien has 136, and ideally it's time to go for broke, go for the win every time. But first of all, we've got to get our team capable of doing that again because we're just not at the level we were last year. Sure, I'd like to say that we're gonna go out and kick ass and win the next five races but our team is not operating at the level that Newman/Haas and RuSPORT are.

And there are some things happening right now that I don't think are going to be productive for the team short-term. We've lost a guy who was a problem for us and replaced him with a guy who's been displaced from his team for being a problem and having an attitude problem: AJ Allmendinger. So it's going to be a little bit of a work in progress as the team tries to figure out this situation, because our team wasn't designed to operate the same way as RuSPORT.

We don't have driver coaches, we don't have psychology guys to keep the drivers' heads screwed on straight, our team doesn't cuddle drivers when they're pissed off. Drivers get on with the job - that's what we're there to do.

It's gonna be interesting to see how this is going to work out. I've been around AJ a long time, I've known him since he was 16 years old and he's a nice kid but with an extremely bad temper. Once his button gets hit, it's not a firecracker that goes off, it's a nuclear explosion.

For example, in Mexico City last year, I blocked him which happens to drivers all the time, and I admitted I blocked him, both publicly and to his face. But an hour later he's still fire-in-the-eyes about it. I mean, ultimately what he was most pissed off about was that Justin [Wilson] had dusted him off that race.

He has to learn that there's always the chance that there will be drivers who are quicker than him on a given day, and then work on getting better, constructively raise the level of his game.

At the moment, he can qualify in second place, but if it's behind his team-mate, it's a complete drama. I think he's too hyper-sensitive when gauging his performance to his team-mate, pays too much attention to it. And he hasn't been able to really focus on where he needs to improve because he's busy getting upset that Justin Wilson's ahead of him.

We need someone who will work with the team and for the team, and maybe AJ will fit into that, but I know right now that Forsythe is not going to accept any of the tantrums that have gone on at his previous team.

Maybe this is a positive thing for AJ, a wake-up call. He needs to accept that the focus on any team is going to eventually swing towards the guy that's getting the better results, and that's precisely what was going to be laid out to Mario after the race - 'Paul's committed to five years with the team, he's the focus and you start playing the game or things are going to change.'

What's happened to AJ, I think needs to be a lesson to him, not a golden parachute for him where he gets thrown out of one deal and ends up with a possibly better deal. If our team gets everything sorted out, we have the potential to be a lot stronger. But the management here is not going to tolerate the shenanigans that went on at RuSPORT.

Maybe some of the problems he had there were because they let him get away with a certain way of behaving, and when you do it once, it's hard to break that habit.

Obviously I want to see AJ succeed, but first and foremost I'm going to concentrate on what I need to do. I'm a different guy to say, Jimmy [Vasser]: I'm not going to be a driving coach or someone who helps others learn the ropes. Ultimately it's not my job to hold AJ's hand and be his go-to guy. He's gotta figure that out himself ....

Ted

trauma1
06-15-06, 09:02 AM
whoo, it was that bad at RUSPORT, and stupid Mario what can you say, no wonder FCR has been off pace, sound like the penskie situation between newman and rusty, cannot have the 2 teams going completly differant directions, and Aj is just plain lucky to have a ride, kid needs to grow up or he'll fit in at AGR

Insomniac
06-15-06, 09:10 AM
i know Lavin brought Corona $$, but Mario was a real reach, WTF both sucked

Neither were champions, but they certainly weren't backmarkers.

Insomniac
06-15-06, 09:15 AM
Here is an extract from Tracy's column at autosport.com today, commenting on the driver situation ...

Thanks for posting that. Quite interesting to read.

KLang
06-15-06, 09:16 AM

Wow. :eek: Lots of insight from PT on the situation with both teams.

The dumping of Mario makes a lot more sense now. I didn't think just his on-track behavior justified being let go mid season.

Not sure what to think about AJ. Doesn't really sound like Forsythe will be a good fit for him. Maybe a dose of 'tough love' will turn him around.

edit: 'We don't have driver coaches, we don't have psychology guys to keep the drivers' heads screwed on straight'

I can understand driver coaches, but a psychology guy? :saywhat:

rabbit
06-15-06, 09:17 AM

Ted
Good stuff.

Spicoli
06-15-06, 09:34 AM

Ted

wow - great read, and why PT has a championship and others do not. HE understands how this sport is played. I really had no idea that AJA was so High Maintenance. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. We all know GF doesn't put up with ****.

hopefully PT can show the little shaver a thing or two about sacking up.

:thumbup:

Makes for a good stroy line to cover.

Andrew Longman
06-15-06, 10:14 AM
TedN

Great read. It is a little surprising PT would speak so candidly about his new teammate, but it is refreshing.

It also shows that there are serious competitive and technical issues driving these choices and that the choices are being driven by the team.

Not by KK, et al as insinuated in http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/26513/

I also find it very believable. Just as I found it interesting and believable that the determining factor in PKV moving KL up this year is so she and the team can learn how to interpret her feedback on a known Lola chassis this year rather than an unknown DP01 next year when their are infinitely more engineering variables/unknowns in play.

Dr. Corkski
06-15-06, 03:11 PM
If Forsythe was going fire someone for engineering reasons, maybe he should fire Tracy instead. Afterall his engineering expertise has led him to back-to-back 4th place championship finishes. :p

The PKV situation was completely different. That was a marketing move with engineering as a weak excuse after the fact. Forsythe is all about running a 1 car team for Tracy.

Fitti Fan
06-15-06, 06:14 PM
"Maybe some of the problems he had there were because they let him get away with a certain way of behaving, and when you do it once, it's hard to break that habit."

Pot, meet kettle.

Andrew Longman
06-15-06, 10:02 PM
If Forsythe was going fire someone for engineering reasons, maybe he should fire Tracy instead. Afterall his engineering expertise has led him to back-to-back 4th place championship finishes. :p

The PKV situation was completely different. That was a marketing move with engineering as a weak excuse after the fact. Forsythe is all about running a 1 car team for Tracy.

No doubt marketing played a role in KL even having a ride. I did not mean to imply otherwise. But the fact remains that Bin Laden could be racing in CC right now and not get a lot od attention. Putting KL in the car now is preparing her and the series for greater success once the DP01 comes on line, their events get more established, their is a merger with the IRL, and/or the series starts to get more attention. I completely agree it is better to get her established in the big cars while few are looking rather than try to make her a success next year when the publicity will (hopefully) be much greater.

cameraman
06-16-06, 11:54 PM
Allmendinger is signed for two races. :eek:

Q. It is reported that this is a two-race deal with Forsythe, how does that affect your outlook?

AJ ALLMENDINGER: Well, I mean, I think we just want to jell as a team and see if we work well together. I think we proved that today. So really we're just kind of looking towards the rest of the year, just getting through this weekend, seeing how it goes, then Cleveland.

And it seems that AJ was the only one at the top of the field to use the reds during qualifying.

Gangrel
06-17-06, 10:09 AM

And it seems that AJ was the only one at the top of the field to use the reds during qualifying.

Was he using reds during practice yesterday when he was running P3 ahead of Tracy?

racer2c
06-17-06, 01:16 PM

Although they missed out on the day’s top three spots, Team Australia’s Will Power and Alex Tagliani gave a good account of themselves en route to fourth and fifth best times of the day at 59.160sec and 59.275sec respectively. Their cause was certainly helped by the fact that both Power and Tag ran the Bridgestone “option” tires in qualifying,