PDA

View Full Version : CARS

Andrew Longman
06-10-06, 04:00 PM
OK. Its not exactly CCWS but Paul Newman is the lead supporting actor so I stuck it here. Move it if you must.

Just got back from seeing CARS with the kids. Very good, especially if you are a race geek. Newman was great (his voice anyway). Perfect for the role of a wise old racer. The story has several good morals. And they did much to appeal to road race, oval, and dirt fans. A little for old and new school fans. Even Tifosi! That scene had me laughing to the point of tears.

Typical Pixar, it has fun stuff for kids of all ages, even 81 and amazing animations. Lots of the usual little subtle stuff too, like the sponsor for the "evil" rival car was HTB (Hostle Takeover Bank) :)

I do have to say I doubt this will be the success of Toy Story, Monsters and some of the other Pixar properties. I doubt there are that many people that love cars that much. Many of the jokes you had to be a fan of some sort to get. But we'll see.

racer2c
06-10-06, 04:15 PM
CNN calls it an "instant classic". My 16 year old went and saw it last night with a freind and said it was "ok", but a little adolescent, but Monsters was like that at first also. I asked her to keep an eye out for any formula cars. She said they didn't have any but they had Shumey as a street Ferrari and Michael Andretti as some stock car. I'm a little disappointed in that there wasn't at least one open wheel car.

Andrew Longman
06-10-06, 04:34 PM
Michael Andretti as some stock car. I'm a little disappointed in that there wasn't at least one open wheel car.

Actually Mario, as the #11 car that I believe he won Daytona in.

No, no open wheel cars, but the main character was a car that looked rather Viper-like. The leading female car was a Porsche. There were some tuner types that stirred up trouble. Richard Petty played "The King" as a Blue Superbird #43. There are only two major racing scenes. One takes place on a Bristol lookalike and the other at a track that looks like Fontana place inside the LA Coluseum (or maybe the other way around).

But there is plenty of driving on roads of all types.

But no, this is no LeMans even if the leading character is named Lightning McQueen. :)

Lux Interior
06-10-06, 04:52 PM
My 7 and 6 year olds will probably love it. We'll have to see it next weekend.

Thanks for the review! :thumbup:

G.
07-03-06, 02:20 PM
I give this movie two thumbs WAY UP! :thumbup:

The Tifosi had me crying too.

Took 3 of the g.'s to see it yesterday.

Take the kids, borrow some if you ain't got none, and go. Hell, go even w/o kids.

The driving scene near the beginning did NOT look like animation. Pixar Rox!

Elmo T
07-03-06, 02:30 PM
I took my 3yo and 5yo and they both loved it. A tad long for the 3yo (or it was the effects of the popcorn + M&M's). The opening "cartoon' was fun too. :)

race chica
07-03-06, 02:50 PM
I give this movie two thumbs WAY UP! :thumbup:

The Tifosi had me crying too.

Took 3 of the g.'s to see it yesterday.

Take the kids, borrow some if you ain't got none, and go. Hell, go even w/o kids.

The driving scene near the beginning did NOT look like animation. Pixar Rox!

Sig others can also act like kids on the drive home from this movie. Its a great movie :)

Wally
07-03-06, 03:30 PM
I took my four year old son........we had a blast! Great flic... :thumbup:

ChampcarShark
07-03-06, 05:00 PM
I do have to say I doubt this will be the success of Toy Story, Monsters and some of the other Pixar properties. I doubt there are that many people that love cars that much. Many of the jokes you had to be a fan of some sort to get. But we'll see.

If it is an idication of a success, I just went to micky ds to get the latest toy cars from the movie and found out that here in the city all the stores have run out toys. They gave up six weeks worth of toys in half the time.

Looks like this movie is a hit. I give it :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Rob
07-03-06, 06:35 PM

That's four stars, not the S-word. Great animation, beautiful artwork and a really good storyline. Very enjoyable.

stroker
07-03-06, 10:40 PM
finally went to see it this weekend. I liked it a LOT. Not as good a storyline as Toy Story or Monsters Inc. but enough to get by. The artwork was phenomenal.

There were tons of inside details (like Von Dutch pinstriping) etc. My wife (rural Missourian) loved the "cow" tipping scene.

I'm going to have to go back again, just for the big screen.