PDA

View Full Version : NFL says officials screwed up in 49ers game

rabbit
01-06-03, 05:31 PM
NFL Director of Officiating Mike Pereira said Monday the officials should have called pass interference on 49ers defensive end Chike Okeafor for hitting Rich Seubert downfield when he was attempting to catch Allen's pass. Seubert was an eligible receiver on the play.

``If defensive pass interference had been called,'' an NFL statement explained, ``there would have been offsetting penalties (ineligible receiver against the Giants and pass interference against the 49ers), with the down replayed at the original line of scrimmage, the San Francisco 23-yard line. Although time had expired, a game cannot end with offsetting penalties. Thus, the game would have been extended by one untimed down.''

Either way, the Giants screwed up and blew it on their own.

Ziggy
01-06-03, 05:59 PM
We had a couple of bad finishes over the holidays. I was not thrilled at the pass interference call against Miami in the Fiesta Bowl in the first overtime. That was bogus. Congrat's to Ohio State, for they played an awsome ballgame.

Bravo!

Having said that, What a difference in a day! Both Cleveland and New York Giant clubs should be proud of their efforts. While not a fan of either club, I am a huge fan of the game.

And these were some good one's!

More Please!

Ziggy

DaveL
01-06-03, 11:37 PM
Yes, the Giants got screwed.

But the refs didn't give 25 points unanswered points.

msvphoto
01-08-03, 04:46 PM
I'll ask the same questions here that I have been asking around work with some football fans.

1. Was the ball "catchable"? (I don't think so judging by the replays I saw. Pass Interference is a judgement call and one of the judgements is "is the ball catchable." Now, defensive holding on the other hand...

2. Can anyone recall a time in a playoff game that a "hail mary" to the end zone with time running out *ever* was called for pass interference (that pass, after all, was essentially a short "hail mary" pass on a blown play.

I feel bad for the Giants. But all those unanswered points and two bad snaps leading to two blown field goals, well, they really did "loose" despite questionable calls. Oh, and what about Plummer's non-reviewed interception/fumble two plays before the end of the game? Had this gone the other way that would be the 49ers big gripe game ending bad call also. It goes both ways.

The Giants were unstoppable in the first half and came out cocky and flat (as if they already won) in the second half. I was amazed to see the 49ers win it. What bothers me is the "taint" on the win that I'm not sure sure is fully waranted.

TrueBrit
01-08-03, 04:54 PM
I truly despise the Niners, with a deep burning flame..however the Giants did themselves no favours the way they played in the 2nd half. Bottom line is they shouldn't have been in that position to begin with.

My question is why the public disclosure?? Was there really that big a hubub about a blown call? I don't recall one, and yet the Refs fall on their swords, which does nothing but inflame anger on NY's side (what are they going to do? Replay one down?? When? Tomorrow?) and Tagliabue goes ballistic and institutes new replay rules for THIS weekend's games!! Shouldn't the Giants be even MORE mad?? I know I would be..Kinda like bolting the door shut after the horse is gone..

TB

msvphoto
01-08-03, 07:46 PM
Wow, almost sounds like the 49ers have a bunch of guys with pointy chins ;)

We'll always agree to disagree TruBrit, but it is all in good fun.

I do agree, though, that the NFL shouldn't be making such a big deal over this and thus tainting the win for the 49ers and further upsetting the Giants (who really should not have allowed 25 unanswered second half points if they wanted the win--they got cocky and thought they had it won with 30 minutes of game time remaining).

WickerBill
01-08-03, 07:51 PM
msv, welcome...

Tell me, though, what it means if the 49ers get a round or two deeper? It's all fun and games until someone loses a shot at the Super Bowl. With the NFC really being completely open, I don't see any reason the Niners couldn't yank one out of... their hat and beat the Tampa Bay Bums.

And for the record, I wanted San Fran to win cause I like Shockey even less than Owens. But I didn't want them to win THAT way.

WB

msvphoto
01-08-03, 09:18 PM
I don't know...I'm biased being a long time 49ers fan.

Publically the Giants team seems to be taking the high road, as they should really having given up all those second half points.

As far as what happens and who goes on, it wouldn't surprise me to see the NFC Championship game between SF and Atlanta, but it could just as easily be the Eagles and Bucs--who knows?

I think the NFL office making such a big stink over it now in the middle of the playoffs is wrong (with Taliabue apparently telling ESPN's reporter that it was the most disapointing moment involving officiating in his 13 years as commissioner). Apparently doesn't recall the New England/Oakland AFC Championship last year. This sort of stuff should be kept more under wraps until the season is done and work on fixing problems in the offseason.

I know that as a 49er fan I would be livid if the Giants had won on a second kick attempt over pass interference on what in my eyes was a last play of the game hail mary pass that was arguably not catchable when we never got a replay of the apparent Plummer interception (called incomplete and not reviewed) two plays prior.

On that note, Tagliabue is correct, there was a breakdown in officating at the end of the game--on both sides of the ball. Officating mistakes offset, 49ers win, bring on Tampa :D

To be honest...I didn't think my boys would win it. Now they'll spite me and go all the way to the super bowl which would make me have to leave Laguna Seca a bit early on 1/26.

Trade offs... How much longer 'till Sebring (ALMS) and St Pete (CART)????