PDA

View Full Version : Any intel-mac with XP users running race director yet?

KobySon
06-06-06, 04:19 PM
Wanted to know if any fellow Mac-heads here have

A.) Got an intel mac (you lucky sob)
B.) Ran boot camp to boot XP
C.) Got Race Director to work

I can't wait to spread out all of those windows on a big fat 30" Apple cinema display. Although, I will probably puke the first time I boot windows on a crisp new intel mac.

Thanks,
Keith

cameraman
06-06-06, 04:46 PM
I have a few here at work. You put XP pro on it and you get a Windows box, albeit a nice Windows box. Race Director is just a web site & iMacs run web browsers & Windows Media software just fine. 2GB of ram is more than enough as is a 2 GHz dual core processor. They are not hard core gamer boxes, the video card (ATI Radeon X1600 at 256MB) isn't one of the ultra fast gamer variety but it is plenty fast enough for people who have a life.

You will have to wait for quite a while before Apple rolls out Intel-based towers to drive a 30" display. They need Adobe, Microsoft and many other software companies to make Universal versions of all their applications before any professional switches away from their G5s. Rosetta is a slug.

Insomniac
06-06-06, 06:28 PM
I have a few here at work. You put XP pro on it and you get a Windows box, albeit a nice Windows box. Race Director is just a web site & iMacs run web browsers & Windows Media software just fine. 2GB of ram is more than enough as is a 2 GHz dual core processor. They are not hard core gamer boxes, the video card (ATI Radeon X1600 at 256MB) isn't one of the ultra fast gamer variety but it is plenty fast enough for people who have a life.

You will have to wait for quite a while before Apple rolls out Intel-based towers to drive a 30" display. They need Adobe, Microsoft and many other software companies to make Universal versions of all their applications before any professional switches away from their G5s. Rosetta is a slug.

Funny. The Mac has a weak video card for gaming at high resolutions in new games with no top end card and anyone who would want one has no life...

Insomniac
06-06-06, 06:30 PM
Also, if you have money to waste (buying a Mac to install Windows is a waste, and I don't mean to run a couple applications not available for the Mac), buy a real PC instead. You'll get a lot more performance for the money you spend.

KobySon
06-08-06, 09:25 AM
Also, if you have money to waste (buying a Mac to install Windows is a waste, and I don't mean to run a couple applications not available for the Mac), buy a real PC instead. You'll get a lot more performance for the money you spend.

I use Macs because they are much better for the work that I do, editing, audio etc, and I like the OS much more than windows. The only reason I would install XP would be to run race director. Race Director relies on copy protection in WM that isn't available on the mac version. Therefore, no race director on the mac. I have no need for a PC outside of race director.

BTW - I've overheard some of the pc IT staff here talking about how XP will be much faster on the mac than on a typical pc. I don't know if I believe it. I doubt that the pc will take advantage of the dual core processor. But there is something to be said for a machine that can run both platforms well.

kk

indyfan31
06-08-06, 09:45 AM
I thought the Race Director folks claimed it was Mac ready, I've never been able to get it to work, but I figured I was just incompetent. :confused:

cameraman
06-08-06, 09:48 AM
Funny. The Mac has a weak video card for gaming at high resolutions in new games with no top end card and anyone who would want one has no life...

There is a group of students here that do nothing, and I mean nothing, but play one video game. They have insanely expensive XP boxes with the highest speed internet connections they can get. They go to class, then they go home and play the game, then they go back to class, then back to the game. On weekends they play around 40 hours. They do nothing else, ever. They make fun of our Macs, all of them, G5 towers, iMacs, whatever because they are not fast enough to play whatever the hell game has taken over their sorry lives.

You may consider that having a life, I sure as hell do not.

cameraman
06-08-06, 09:50 AM
The timing works but the video generally does not.

Insomniac
06-08-06, 09:02 PM
I use Macs because they are much better for the work that I do, editing, audio etc, and I like the OS much more than windows. The only reason I would install XP would be to run race director. Race Director relies on copy protection in WM that isn't available on the mac version. Therefore, no race director on the mac. I have no need for a PC outside of race director.

BTW - I've overheard some of the pc IT staff here talking about how XP will be much faster on the mac than on a typical pc. I don't know if I believe it. I doubt that the pc will take advantage of the dual core processor. But there is something to be said for a machine that can run both platforms well.

kk

Seems odd they wouldn't support WMP for the Mac. Microsoft does have it.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/windowsmediaplayerformacosx.html

The chips in the new Macs are the same ones in laptops that Dell, HP, etc. sell so I personally would expect similar performance if the hardware drivers are comparable.

Insomniac
06-08-06, 09:05 PM
There is a group of students here that do nothing, and I mean nothing, but play one video game. They have insanely expensive XP boxes with the highest speed internet connections they can get. They go to class, then they go home and play the game, then they go back to class, then back to the game. On weekends they play around 40 hours. They do nothing else, ever. They make fun of our Macs, all of them, G5 towers, iMacs, whatever because they are not fast enough to play whatever the hell game has taken over their sorry lives.

You may consider that having a life, I sure as hell do not.

I obviously don't consider that having much of a life outside of gaming. But nowhere close to every gamer spends that much time or has that much time for games. But when they do, many like the newest games and want the best performance and graphics, which the current Macs don't have. I'm sure the G5 replacement will though.

cameraman
06-08-06, 11:42 PM
Seems odd they wouldn't support WMP for the Mac. Microsoft does have it.

Windows Media Player 9 for the Mac is something of a sick joke. It does not function within a browser, it opens as a separate application but the higher DRM encryption levels do not allow the file to be viewed in a separate application so it fails to load.

Microsoft knows that but they are not going to do a damn thing to fix it because they want you to buy Windows.

Insomniac
06-09-06, 06:38 AM
Windows Media Player 9 for the Mac is something of a sick joke. It does not function within a browser, it opens as a separate application but the higher DRM encryption levels do not allow the file to be viewed in a separate application so it fails to load.

Microsoft knows that but they are not going to do a damn thing to fix it because they want you to buy Windows.

What about this: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wmcomponents.mspx

KobySon
06-12-06, 11:36 AM
What about this: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wmcomponents.mspx

from the website:

Note This product doesn't support content that is protected with Windows Media digital rights management (DRM).

That is the problem with Race Director on the Mac as well...

Insomniac
06-12-06, 03:05 PM
from the website:

That is the problem with Race Director on the Mac as well...

I see. I missed that note. That stinks. I'm guessing Race Director probably use WM9 Series Codecs too.