PDA

View Full Version : Another Street Fight!

NismoZ
06-06-06, 03:17 PM
If the goings on over potential races in Phoenix and San Antonio aren't enough for you how about San Jose? The Mercury news reports the "Grand Prix" has become the hottest issue in the upcoming mayoral race. Actually the $4 mil. city subsidy for the race has become the issue. Not the amount, the fact that it is a "sporting event"! Plenty of much larger San Jose subsidies have gone to hotels, restaurants and other businesses, but this one is for "rich race drivers!" Oh boy. I wonder where the people will be sleeping or eating and shopping when they come to the race? :shakehead I live in a city that regularly hands out incentives to developers to encourage REdevelopment in older downtown areas and it is transforming the landscape. Condos and townhomes have been sold in large numbers and the buildings aren't even there yet! People cry about blight and givaways and won't think 1 year down the road to what might be possible with investment. Gotta spend SOME to get some MORE. I hope the city council has more foresight than a candidate looking for a backlash vote.

NismoZ
06-06-06, 03:31 PM
And cbs5.com local news from yesterday is saying "the race is in jeopardy." There is no title sponsor and sponsors are "swerving" and waiting 'til '07 to see what happens. I hate that track, but I hate this crap even more. Tracks can be changed or improved but bad PR hangs around like the flu! (and can spread like it, too.)

trauma1
06-06-06, 04:14 PM
there are 31 sponsors , no one has pulled out

NismoZ
06-06-06, 04:56 PM
Like it said, no title sponsor and others having 2nd thoughts or delaying. Don't recall reading anything about total numbers of sponsors. Not saying the sky is falling just passing on info that I am certain is of concern to many involved.

Sean O'Gorman
06-06-06, 05:06 PM
I wonder if they'd have these issues with Mid-Ohio.

Don Quixote
06-06-06, 05:19 PM
I wonder if they'd have these issues with Mid-Ohio.
No, Michele never bothered with those pesky sponsors in the first place. :laugh: